Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 2.15

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
Fonzie a lot to digest in that podcast.

Cohesion as you call it is important and trust in your team mates.

We have definitely got the makings of a good team with smart recruitment and with all the injuries hard for them to jell as a cohesive unit, but smart coaches find a way of getting the best out of what they have.

My opinion at best they need to review the coaching and support staff, at worst replace a few senior coaches and find a replacement for Kodie whose heart and mind are not on it.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Very much agree with you regarding cohesion. A few that have come in also mid season, that takes time. One thing I’ve noticed as the years gone on is Aitken in Walsh’s ear. Ever since the tigers game where Walsh threw that lovely cutout pass missing out Aitken, I’ve thought the two don’t seem to close only judging by body language, I may be completely wrong also but wonder if there’s an element of a unhappy undercurrent. Losing can do that and fingers start pointing.
I’m really hopeful for Brown but admit that confidence has dropped since Gould has left, even though he was brought in to do with pathways and not directly with the team, just felt comfortable with his knowledge in the club. Morgan has to go, attack probably acceptable with Hodges but also can’t be a mates club if a better option is available. If similar is dished up next year, what to do or who would replace Brown. Always agreed with you regarding Kearney and wish the team at least offered him an assistant role, probably wouldn’t have taken it but he wasn’t the leper as he was treated. Wonder if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck head knock had something to do with the early release, was a bad one and as seen, Tohu Harris has been brought back too early a couple of times. More than happy not to be attending the World Cup, the NRL forgets our team has been out of their country for two years, not their state. Also agree with you that without the NRL there is no rugby league, but also at the moment, without the Kiwis and Polynesian players, there isn’t really an attractive NRL either as many stars in the comp derive from these areas. Great listen anyway, thanks.

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
Great podcast fonzie in these dark times. I’m searching for positives in this “horror of a week” for the Warriors lol

Just my two cents regarding Roger Tuivasa-Sheck sudden departure. This my be a blessing in disguise as this season is definitely gone but we still have seven games to build on leading into preseason. Without Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Reece has the freedom to make the fullback position his own without feeling like he’s being micromanaged by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from the sidelines. It’s really his time to shine without the pressure of making finals football and may actually help his natural game develop? I could be wrong but I know that feeling..

JustVisiting82

Waterboy
Jun 17, 2021
Great points on cohesion amid constant turn over, and I particularly enjoyed your comments on action bias - I didn't know there was a name for this phenomenon but it is something which has long bugged me when I observe it (I'm talking generally here, not just related to the warriors).

Reactions: Fonzie

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Just out of interest Fonzie, if the Warriors do manage to get Manu, are you feeling 100% sure Walsh will be fullback? I’ve been a bit concerned about us losing massive territory in the last fortnight due to Walsh’s kicks getting charged down and more so by last week how he was absolutely schooled by souths and Bennett. I know he might get kicks charged down in the halves too but I feel like the days of the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck try saver at the back are gone with Walsh’s defence at fullback, reminds me of early Shaun Johnson. He’s good now but took plenty of time to defend up to standard and Walsh’s frame doesn’t look like it’s got the capacity to be much bigger. Just my view and wondered what yours was.

Reactions: Fonzie

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Just out of interest Fonzie, if the Warriors do manage to get Manu, are you feeling 100% sure Walsh will be fullback? I’ve been a bit concerned about us losing massive territory in the last fortnight due to Walsh’s kicks getting charged down and more so by last week how he was absolutely schooled by souths and Bennett. I know he might get kicks charged down in the halves too but I feel like the days of the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck try saver at the back are gone with Walsh’s defence at fullback, reminds me of early Shaun Johnson. He’s good now but took plenty of time to defend up to standard and Walsh’s frame doesn’t look like it’s got the capacity to be much bigger. Just my view and wondered what yours was.
Hi mate, no I'm not 100% sure. But I think generally people focus too much on attack with looking at this. I start with, who do I want defending in the front line, making 20-30 tackles a game, and who do I want cover defending making 5-10 tackles a game? For me its Manu in the front line - bigger body, slower. So defensively I'd have him at 6 and Walsh at 1. Offensively I don't think it matters as much. Walsh can play second receiver from 1 just as easy as 6, and Manu can be a running pivot just as easy at 6 as at 1.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Great points on cohesion amid constant turn over, and I particularly enjoyed your comments on action bias - I didn't know there was a name for this phenomenon but it is something which has long bugged me when I observe it (I'm talking generally here, not just related to the warriors).

Another name for cohesion (in my eyes) is simply chemistry. We all know it takes time to build chemistry, not just in sport, but with all relationships. For some, the cohesion/chemistry is there from the start. A match made in heaven as they say. For others it takes longer, but how much time should they be given??

Stephen Kearney had the right game plan. He just couldnt execute or adapt it to suit the players / personalities he had in the squad..

Reactions: ramps

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Love your insight on cohesion and feel its completely evident in regards to the results this year. Waay too many changes every week and its not brownys fault. Rule changes in the result of injuries and suspension is largely to blame.

But we have recruited well, we definitely have a better team on paper but as you say cohesion/chemistry just isnt there and hopefully we can figure out what is going to work best for us in the next few weeks and take that into next season.

awesome pod Fonzie Fonzie

KiwiinJapan

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 3, 2016
Good analysis. Injuries have definitely hurt performance. Cohesion is important, too. The Warriors are playing with many players who were not there at the start of the year. A jumbled mess that can hopefully make progress next year. It is hard to see the future when the present performances look bad,

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Fucken he'll Fonzie!

That's a hard sell bro......

I do agree cohesion and stability at the top does matter, that is far to many changes to coaching lineups. I do hope the club does everything in its power to help brownie turn this around.

He needs strong coaching staff around him (Wayne Smith anyone)? they also need to look into why our guys are getting injured so frequently and make some changes in that department I feel.

As for the world cup I agree, the warriors must come first.

Also if this is true about Joey Manu, what's going to happen with Chanel Harris-Tavita? If they could get Manu at fair value I'm all for it but overs I think will hurt us long term and I see him as a fullback with Walsh in the halves, yes Walsh is a liability on defense but he's cocky enough to take it on and he and Shaun could light it up.

Reactions: ramps

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Fucken he'll Fonzie!

That's a hard sell bro......

I do agree cohesion and stability at the top does matter, that is far to many changes to coaching lineups. I do hope the club does everything in its power to help brownie turn this around.

He needs strong coaching staff around him (Wayne Smith anyone)? they also need to look into why our guys are getting injured so frequently and make some changes in that department I feel.

As for the world cup I agree, the warriors must come first.

Also if this is true about Joey Manu, what's going to happen with Chanel Harris-Tavita? If they could get Manu at fair value I'm all for it but overs I think will hurt us long term and I see him as a fullback with Walsh in the halves, yes Walsh is a liability on defense but he's cocky enough to take it on and he and Shaun could light it up.
Yea strength and conditioning seems a bit of a major concern for me. our first contact seems really soft and seems like we get manhandled a lot of the time.

not confident in our assistant coaches. is michael luck still coaching? Would love to see him or steve price come in as an assistant coach. we do need a prominent figure as a general manager of football. That role would have been perfecr for gould but we stuffed that up.

Cappy

Interesting pod. Always enjoy listening. Cohesion is a fair point and you know this has merit from having played with slightly lesser players with whom you have that *understanding* vs when you play reps with arguably better players, but that cohesion isn’t there, so there is certainly merit in it.

For mine, there needs to be some weighting on why this Warriors team lost so many games by 4 points or less, from VERY winnable positions…We are absolutely missing a Top-Tier game managing half. A player with experience, composure & a solid kicking game & someone who CAN kick field goals !!

I believe THAT is the player we need to spend 7 figures on, NOT a Joey Manu (although he is a very handy player, he’s not necessarily the linchpin we need).

We’ve got Shaun Johnson and that’s great, he’s the best version of Shaun Johnson there’s been, injuries aside, I just wish he could play for the Warriors as astutely as he plays against us…Shaun Johnson isn’t a natural game managing half, although he’s far better at it now than ever, when he focuses and he’s *on* he’s fantastic … what I would LOVE to see, is the Warriors pass on Manu and Throw the WAR CHEST at James Maloney…2yr contract, pay him whatever it takes, let him & Shaun Johnson finish what they started in 2011…Chanel Harris-Tavita and Walsh have 2 legends to learn from.

I like Joey Manu, but genuinely, I think Maloney (or someone similar) would be a far better use of the 7 figure war chest.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Great, insightful podcast as always Fonzie. No challenges from me apart from your theory that we would've beaten Penrith barring injuries. We might have had some ascendancy early on but it's a hard ask thinking we would have continued that for the entirety of the game. If the injuries hadn't have occurred we would have likely spent a 20-25 minute period with neither Lodge or Addin Fonua-Blake on the park & a probable middle of Leeson Ah-Mau, Tohu Harris & Curran, wouldn't have provided as much resistance to Leniu, Martin & Sorensen

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings