• Ata Hingano

• Mason Lino

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
7.Shaun Johnson
6.Tuimoala Lolohea has it thus far, Hes got the talent to run hard and beat ppl. Quality player that most aussie clubs would love to amongts their ranks.

It's not the number 6's job to run hard and beat people.. That's why he shouldn't be a number 6 IMO, the job as No 6 should be creating, kicking and supporting Shaun Johnson. Not running the ball, which is clearly his best asset.

Fullback/Centre please.

Lets Gone

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 22, 2015
It's not the number 6's job to run hard and beat people.. That's why he shouldn't be a number 6 IMO, the job as No 6 should be creating, kicking and supporting Shaun Johnson. Not running the ball, which is clearly his best asset.

Fullback/Centre please.
The Dylan Walker experiment at 6 for Manly is something we should consider when thinking about Lolohea, it didnt really work out for Walker at 6. However, i would be happy to give Lolohea a run at 6.

But thinking about the future,

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Fusitua
3. Kata/Ayshford *kata please pass the ball sometimes :)* *Ayshford is good for injury cover*
4. Lolohea
5. Manu
6. Ata Hingano, tbh i havent watched alot of him play, but i have heard alot about him on this forum and the little i have seen i have been impressed
7. Johnson
9. Luke

I don't think we should be buying any outside backs at this stage, we should be more worried about resigning players like Lolohea, Johnson, Hingano, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck when they come off contract.

Reactions: OMG

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Examples like Walker and Morgan are fair when talking about Lolohea.. But those guys have the best organizing halfbacks in the world to control the team (DCE & JT).

Shaun Johnson doesn't have the control of those guys, and is more of a spontaneous/elusive player himself (one of the best).

Milford is probably the best running 6, but he's a freak, and Hunt is a very well rounded true halfback. Milf's really developed his game, especially kicking. Probably helps with the coaching talent they have at the club.

Reactions: 6 Again

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Ata Hingano is our number 6 from next season and for the next 10+ years, there is no discussion there, he is our guy.
Lolohea back to wing or see how he goes at centre for next season.

As for the short term, I'm tempted to give Ata the start this week for the Knights game just because I think we should cruise past them. Therefore we get to see how Ata goes in a theoretically easy game; if he plays amazing we can keep him there, if he doesn't then we just slot TL there for the rest of the season which I'm also fine with and Ata can keep killing it NSW cup. If we can't beat this Knights team regardless of who plays five eighth we don't deserve to be in the finals anyway.

Reactions: diehard and 6 Again

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Examples like Walker and Morgan are fair when talking about Lolohea.. But those guys have the best organizing halfbacks in the world to control the team (DCE & JT).

Shaun Johnson doesn't have the control of those guys, and is more of a spontaneous/elusive player himself (one of the best).

Milford is probably the best running 6, but he's a freak, and Hunt is a very well rounded true halfback. Milf's really developed his game, especially kicking. Probably helps with the coaching talent they have at the club.

Fully agree, the truth is Shaun Johnson is our running half and putting him at 6 was hinting at that, it just so happens he has to control the game as well because we don't have anyone better than him in that department, putting Lolohea at 6 won't make it any easier for him either. A half that can organize and control his side of the field at the very least is what's required.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The Dylan Walker experiment at 6 for Manly is something we should consider when thinking about Lolohea, it didnt really work out for Walker at 6. However, i would be happy to give Lolohea a run at 6.

I reckon the Dylan Walker experiment is why Tui should be kept away from number 6 – Walker would tear us apart from centre when playing for the rabbitohs, not half the player with the halves responsibilities on his plate.

I like the centre idea for lolohea, but whatever his position is, they have to leave him alone there. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck injury has been a real MF’er, we might have finally got an answer to whether lolohea is viable as a 6 or not, now that gets pushed back a year.

I know they could still go back to it with Fusitua at the back, but then you’re basically choosing between Leuluai and Wright/Allwood in the starting line-up, and you know the respected international isn’t going to miss out to the likes of those two, no matter how inconsistent he is – and I thought he was good on the weekend, apart from 2 terrible passes.

And at the same time, Fusitua isn’t playing fullback next year, so is it worth putting the time into that, when he should be trying to nail down a wing spot, seeing as we havn't produced a consistent winger in the Manu era. Bill Tupou of all people had the longest reign opposite him.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I think Tommy will stay at 6 for the rest of the season. Hingano is immensely talented but I don't think he is ready just yet. Putting Tui at six would mean both moving our best fullback and our best winger on form to other positions.

I would love to see Tui play six at some stage, I think his passing game is underrated and has the talent to develop his kicking game. Has played right through the ranks at six so is probably better equipped than walker to do it.

Lets Gone

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 22, 2015
I reckon the Dylan Walker experiment is why Tui should be kept away from number 6 – Walker would tear us apart from centre when playing for the rabbitohs, not half the player with the halves responsibilities on his plate.

I like the centre idea for lolohea, but whatever his position is, they have to leave him alone there. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck injury has been a real MF’er, we might have finally got an answer to whether lolohea is viable as a 6 or not, now that gets pushed back a year.

I know they could still go back to it with Fusitua at the back, but then you’re basically choosing between Leuluai and Wright/Allwood in the starting line-up, and you know the respected international isn’t going to miss out to the likes of those two, no matter how inconsistent he is – and I thought he was good on the weekend, apart from 2 terrible passes.

And at the same time, Fusitua isn’t playing fullback next year, so is it worth putting the time into that, when he should be trying to nail down a wing spot, seeing as we havn't produced a consistent winger in the Manu era. Bill Tupou of all people had the longest reign opposite him.
tbh the reason why i would like to see Lolohea at 6 is because of the risk of losing him when his contract is up. I would prefer Ata at 6 depending on his development and Lolohea at centre

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
tbh the reason why i would like to see Lolohea at 6 is because of the risk of losing him when his contract is up. I would prefer Ata at 6 depending on his development and Lolohea at centre

I wouldn't be too worried mate, Lolohea is signed at the club until the end of 2018, the NRL Salary Cap is expected to go from $6.5 million to $11 million in that year so all things being equal there should be plenty to go around.

Reactions: Lets Gone

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016

With Lulu seeming out of place, it just seems like a good time to experiment with Hingano now. Especially facing the Knights. If he goes great guns, you've got a 6.

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Do you have a source or link to that?

Here's hoping the club are smart enough to re-sign him this year and give him a slight bump up in salary for next year. Lets not repeat what happened to Elijah Taylor...

Yeah I pulled it from the sites player profiles but then I'm sure I read it in an article somewhere as well:

https://www.nzwarriors.com/player-profiles/ata-hingano.363/

Team option means the club has the option rather than the player doesn't it?

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK

Fullback/Centre please.
I disagree...

it depends on the 6 you are after...

I would rather he run hard, beat people and create, this will ease the pressure off Johnson and create uncertainty with the opposition....let's hope he is practicing his kicking every chance he gets as looks a real weakness for him.

Reactions: diehard

69kingswood

U20's Player
Apr 22, 2016
I disagree...

it depends on the 6 you are after...

I would rather he run hard, beat people and create, this will ease the pressure off Johnson and create uncertainty with the opposition....let's hope he is practicing his kicking every chance he gets as looks a real weakness for him.

Hes not that bad with his kicking? Chad Townsend and TL were alot worse so if his kicking game isnt perfect then its not really any big loss. We have a dummy half in Isaac Luke who can kick a ball pretty good.

69kingswood

U20's Player
Apr 22, 2016
As i remember there were 2 huge negative impacts on staceys playing. The first was his arm, the second him being made captain. Thats in order of impact as i see it.

I was only a kid when he played so all I can remember is how good he was...(Better than that aussie from Newcastle). He had a sum good forward packs though thats the difference.....

Reactions: gREVUS and OMG

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
You know while Stacey was king we did have a couple of boom young halves come through In hohaia and motu tony and if we hadve shown some patience with them we might not have need to rely on the make shift types u speak of.
I can see parallels with the current situation- tui being hohaia, the young halve who got played everywhere but and ended up with no real position at all and ata could well head down the tony road to another club or even competition if he's not managed well.
The big advantage tui and ata have over their predecessors is that they're better than them (IMO).
I'd like to see the club back themselves to get the best out of the talent we have this time rather than taking the easy road and looking to Australian journey men again.
what I remember of the time of Motu and Lance, was that the club seemed to be under the delusion that since the local Nursery produced a Jones, and Henry Paul, then surely any lesser being locals were not good enough.....the patience you speak of ....I think was tied up in a fantasy that they would find another Stacey.....any one short of that measure wasn't given time to prove otherwise.

I believe that thinking was reinforced by the emergence of the Michael Jordan of rugby league, the best center in the world from the Rewa Marlins, and finals record breaking Winger in Meli.

Lance burst onto the scene to be fair as a stand off, but as soon as he started to struggle the Warriors gave up on him (like you say the comparisons with Tui are spooky).

Lance and Motu.....and Tui as well.....suffer the 'lack of balance' argument, they are all running halves with average organising / kicking games.

Therefore they are not seen as suitable to pair a Jones or a Johnson.

Too samey.

Whatever.

If you can accommodate Loolooeye who has No kicking game and clunky organising at stand off you might as well try someone who has all those faults yet can open up a game.

I've said this before.....but New Zealand rugby League is deficient in a Kicking game.

The sad irony is we lead the Winfield cup in changing minds about the value of Kicking goals.

Daryl Halligan makes a career across the NRL out of it.

Where are the coaches for field Kicking in the NRL ?

I remember when Kemp spent time improving Stacey. Where are the teachers of Tui, Johnson, Ata, and Lino ?

Show me a good field kicking half and I will show you a great organising half.

Running halves grow out of the ground here.

I never understood how in a country that produces Union players who kick for territory by the million, that League parents of young protoges seemingly haven't had their kids spending ten thousand hours on forty twenties and in goal kicks....that kid could command a blank cheque in NZ.

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings