General Fiji Attacks New Zealand

BigD_old

Time to slip on your cameys boyz, & grab your SLR.

Fiji has just attacked some NZ owned attoll in the Pacific.

from www.stuff.co.nz

Fiji has tonight launched an unprecedented attack on New Zealand as Tongan navy boats move to occupy disputed atolls north of New Zealand.

In an unsigned statement on the Fiji Government website, their military government accuses New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully of subverting the path to democracy in the Pacific nation.

The Fiji statement also claims that Tongan navy boats have suddenly shown up in Fiji waters and occupied the disputed Minerva Reefs, between New Zealand and Tonga.

Its understood here, from Tongan sources, that two Tongan vessels are at Minerva.

The statement on the website is so completely out of kilter with previous Fiji Government statements that it raises questions over who now is in control in Suva.

Fazz_old

Awaits somebody to say something unintentionally racist (you know it's coming)

BigD_old

The Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) are the military of the Pacific island nation of Fiji. With a total manpower of 3,500 active soldiers and 6,000 reservists (wikipedia)

incl a very good Rugby 7s team

one-eyed-warrior_old

Lol I didn't know tonga had a navy, unreal, do you think Obama will send troops to help defend new Zealand ?

HD_old

I thought this was gonna be about NZ trying to block Fiji from sending their full-strength squad to the Rugby World Cup.

Given the ridiculous NZ stance on Fiji regarding sports it wouldn't surprise me if the NZ government are ****ing with Fiji in more serious, political ways.

I really know next to nothing about New Zealand and Australia's relationship with Fiji, but I imagine it's something along the lines of Fiji being a totalitarian and anti-Democratic nation, and NZ and Australia wanting to bring about Fijian Democracy and freedom; that just so happens to serve their(NZ, Aus) interests, of course.

All conjecture, granted.

Swanley_old

I thought this was gonna be about NZ trying to block Fiji from sending their full-strength squad to the Rugby World Cup.

Given the ridiculous NZ stance on Fiji regarding sports it wouldn't surprise me if the NZ government are ****ing with Fiji in more serious, political ways.

I really know next to nothing about New Zealand and Australia's relationship with Fiji, but I imagine it's something along the lines of Fiji being a totalitarian and anti-Democratic nation, and NZ and Australia wanting to bring about Fijian Democracy and freedom; that just so happens to serve their(NZ, Aus) interests, of course.

All conjecture, granted.

If you know nothing, why is it ridiculous?

HD_old

I know nothing about the political relationship between Fiji and New Zealand. That has nothing to do with sport. Even if Fiji were North Korea they should be allowed to put forward a full team in the World Cup.

Northern_Union

I know nothing about the political relationship between Fiji and New Zealand. That has nothing to do with sport. Even if Fiji were North Korea they should be allowed to put forward a full team in the World Cup.

They can. As long as they don't put forward players with ties to a military dictatorship which has over thrown democracy. Or, Fiji can return to a democracy and then send who they like.

HD_old

They can. As long as they don't put forward players with ties to a military dictatorship which has over thrown democracy. Or, Fiji can return to a democracy and then send who they like.

Fiji has never been a Democracy. And this has nothing to do with Democracy anyway, If it did you wouldn't allow Kenya or Zimbabwe to play in the Wellington Sevens.

Are NZ going to block any Georgian soldiers from representing Georgia; America for attacking Russia through their Georgian client state the other year; Shit, America for any number of anti-Democratic crimes; British nations for the current attacks on Libya, etc etc? Somehow I doubt it.

This is New Zealand using their position to bully other nations. And the hypocrisy is pretty visible - tow the like like the Samoans and you're okay... I mean a nation dictated over by Monarchy, where homosexuality is illegal, that's fine, no issue with that.

It just highlights again why New Zealand shouldn't have had the event in the first place, and now they spit in the face of the IRB. Hopefully all Sevens tournaments are removed from NZ in the near future.

Swanley_old

Is this a joke? Since when has Fiji never been a democracy.

The first legislative elections held under the new constitution took place in May 1999.

Jesbass_old

Is this a joke? Since when has Fiji never been a democracy.

The first legislative elections held under the new constitution took place in May 1999.

He has already stated that he knows nothing about the political relationship between Fiji and New Zealand, so it may stem from that.

Northern_Union

In the name of avoiding an argument and getting pissed off i'm going to leave this thread alone.