Player Feleti Mateo

macker

Current players who need to sort their shit out. IMO

1. Mateo - Not looking too good right now.
2. Hurrell - Put in a really good performance and looked more mature so fingers crossed.
3. Carlos - Can't even be bothered. That's the effect he has on my personal motivation.
4. Nielson - He's gone from quality to shit since he's been here.
5. Manu - I have to put him in there otherwise it wouldn't be fair, but he's not far off his best.

I think you're over rating Mateo a little there. Sure he can play ball, but he's got nothing on SBW really.

SBW will change and adapt his strategy to fuck over the opposition, no matter what game plane he is up against. Mateo either gets his offloads away or he's rendered impotent.

SBW pushes through the tackler and reaches around (not like that) to deliver some freak passes. Mateo gets lucky sometimes in a tackle where his arm is free and there is someone also standing there to receive it

SBW can change the training culture of a club with his attitude towards his team mates and their training. Mateo is meh off the field, a fun boy who wants to look good in photographs.

SBW is a whole other league to Mateo. Only at the Warriors would Mateo become a super star of the game. Any other club and he's just another back rower with an above average offload.

But in saying all that Mateo still has the potential:banghead: to be a quality player.

What I'm saying is, from a purely skillset point of view, Mateo has the natural ability to be an SBW. He's had some games which were simply ridiculous, and up with the best SBW has shown.

I'm certainly not talking consistent elite performances, off field leadership or general value. Just offloads really.

What I'm saying is, from a purely skillset point of view, Mateo has the natural ability to be an SBW. He's had some games which were simply ridiculous, and up with the best SBW has shown.

I'm certainly not talking consistent elite performances, off field leadership or general value. Just offloads really.
There were games for us in 2011 and 2012 where he was soo dominant it was ridiculous, and thats what I am holding onto with Mateo. There were games in which he basically got or created a line break every 2nd time he touched the ball. If he hadn't shown that ability in the past, he wouldn't still be on the roster. The question is, will we see that Mateo again? Or are we seeing a guy in his 10th year of first grade, that hasn't taken the best care of his body or shown intensity on defence start reaching the end of the line?

Reactions: 2 people

macker

So what your saying is that Mateo has loads of potential?:banghead:

I reckon we've been sold down the river with that idea. It's up there with "Keep the Faith".

"Sign players with as much potential as possible and mold them into the best players in the NRL."

It doesn't work like that sadly. The horse has to want to drink. Mateo doesn't want to be an elite player. If he wanted to he would be already.

What does Mateo want to do with his footy career? I haven't got a fucken clue.

But if I had to guess, it probably involves hanging out with his mates and having a good laugh at the end of the day. That's fine, just don't expect to get paid $10,000 a week for that service.

So what your saying is that Mateo has loads of potential?:banghead:

I reckon we've been sold down the river with that idea. It's up there with "Keep the Faith".

"Sign players with as much potential as possible and mold them into the best players in the NRL."

It doesn't work like that sadly. The horse has to want to drink. Mateo doesn't want to be an elite player. If he wanted to he would be already.

What does Mateo want to do with his footy career? I haven't got a fucken clue.

But if I had to guess, it probably involves hanging out with his mates and having a good laugh at the end of the day. That's fine, just don't expect to get paid $10,000 a week for that service.

Haha, I should remind you I am strongly in favour of Mateo being released :). While I do believe he could potentially regain his best form, I do not believe he is worth the massive $$ while we sit around and wait for him to pull finger. It's more a lament of an incredible talent who couldn't maintain an A or even B+ game. Just like his bro Inu; so ironic we signed them together.

Reactions: 1 person

macker

Haha, I should remind you I am strongly in favour of Mateo being released :). While I do believe he could potentially regain his best form, I do not believe he is worth the massive $$ while we sit around and wait for him to pull finger. It's more a lament of an incredible talent who couldn't maintain an A or even B+ game. Just like his bro Inu; so ironic we signed them together.
I say fuck talent. This is a team sport.

Everyone's got talent.

Spill some blood or cruse off.

Reactions: way2sharp

macker

It would take stunning reversal of form from Mateo for me to consider it being worthwhile for us to have him on our roster, especially with the money he's on.

As it stands, in 2015, this is how I would rank (roughly) the back rowers at our club:

Simon Mannering
Jayson Bukuya
Ben Matulino
Ryan Hoffman
Sebastine Ikahihifo
Ben Henry
Sione Lousi
Feleti Mateo

We're paying Mateo far too much money to be our 8th best back rower...

Hope he either starts playing like a man possessed, or (preferably) we can offload him to another club and open up huge chunk of cap at the same time.
I think right now on form, talent withstanding, it looks like this.

Seb
Bukuya
Hoffman
Mutts
Manners
Lousi
mateo

Henry hasn't played enough edge forward to get a current rating.

Mutts has awesome talent, but Seb is doing more with what he was given, so he gets the top spot.

A little hard on Lousi as he's been playing well, but seeing as Manners can only squeeze himself into 5th place it's not so bad.

I really like the idea of Mutts being and 10 and 11 during the game. It's going to keep the opposition guessing. Is he running straight at us or is he looking for a hole to run out wide. It forces them to think about our ever changing structure when they'd rather be thinking about their own structure.. Nice.

Arguable list but Mateo's placing is fair. He's been abysmal this season and much of the previous two. Overall we simply have too much $$ invested in the second row, particularly if Matulino is considered a full-timer there now.

Sadly, I expect Ikahihifo to depart at season's end, likely alongside Mateo.
Highly doubtful on Seb. I would say he's probably got an option in his contract. Club and coach love the bloke and I hear he's very happy as well.

Mutts has said Cappy wants him in the front row and Bukuya is about to have a two year holiday so the list just got shorter.
Still happy for Freddy to cruz tho.

macker

Mutts has said Cappy wants him in the front row and Bukuya is about to have a two year holiday so the list just got shorter.
Still happy for Freddy to cruz tho.
Cappy must be keeping the back door open for lazy one. Maybe he's a super coach and can get the Warriors SBW to stand up and deliver? Strange things are happening at the Warriors right now so I'll reserve judgment till after the Doggies.

If Mateo does them doggy style then he gets another week from me.

If he's got some debilitation illness then I'll forgive him and hope he gets well soon with a long rest on the sidelines.

Current players who need to sort their shit out. IMO

1. Mateo - Not looking too good right now.
2. Hurrell - Put in a really good performance and looked more mature so fingers crossed.
3. Carlos - Can't even be bothered. That's the effect he has on my personal motivation.
4. Nielson - He's gone from quality to shit since he's been here.
5. Manu - I have to put him in there otherwise it wouldn't be fair, but he's not far off his best.
Manu will come good. He just needs to tidy up his hands and defensive reads. Konrad is the most destructive centre in the game so not sure what he has to fix. I think Feleti will come good. Carlos was very good last weekend in reserve grade in a badly beaten team.

Neilsens the shot duck out of that lot. I'm sure his agent is already on the bat phone to Super League.

Re Martels offload, I thought it was a penalty to be fair. It went back into a Raider and Locke was tackled off the ball. On the one where he floated one to the left, the receiver was tackled before the ball got there. Feleti needs someone like Chad to run a line off his hip before the line like Maloney did and there will be much fapping. He is a unique ball player who could be a match winner this year at key times.

macker

Manu will come good. He just needs to tidy up his hands and defensive reads. Konrad is the most destructive centre in the game so not sure what he has to fix. I think Feleti will come good. Carlos was very good last weekend in reserve grade in a badly beaten team.

Neilsens the shot duck out of that lot. I'm sure his agent is already on the bat phone to Super League.

Re Martels offload, I thought it was a penalty to be fair. It went back into a Raider and Locke was tackled off the ball. On the one where he floated one to the left, the receiver was tackled before the ball got there. Feleti needs someone like Chad to run a line off his hip before the line like Maloney did and there will be much fapping. He is a unique ball player who could be a match winner this year at key times.
He's just trying to get himself on the highlights reel IMO.

He wants an easy ride and if everyone is fapping about his one big play per game he can do just that.

So he throws some high risk offloads in the hope that one is a magical highlight for everyone around the world to marvel at. Problem is his other plays are shit.

It hurts the team because other players are doing all the dirty work while he gets the mega pay packet.

To earn top dollar he has to bend the line more than he passes the pill, and stick more offloads than he fucks up. And he has to be a colossus on D. No point scoring a try if your going to let the team run rings around you coming back the other way.

Dammit. I've found secound quite handy to ID you on other forums
I thought he had an accent.:p

No. None of the ones I talk to ever do. They dont pay attention to fan forums. With all the negativity most times can you blame them? Would drive anyone nuts...
And with all of their training and travelling they do if they were on here during their spare time it would drive their wives and girlfriends even battier than it does ours.;)

If they did though.
Mateo: "Sorry I'm late for training coach."
McFadden: "You've been on that bloody forum again haven't you?"
Mateo: "Bloody trolls are saying I'm down the list of second rowers even Seb and Sione are above me, that can't be right. I just needed to give them a piece of my mind and state my case."
McFadden: "They can't be that bad yas ou are down the list and if you weren't tied up on that forum you would have seen my email that your lazy arse was supposed to be over there training with the NSW Cup squad."

Back on topic. Agree with Sup42 at the time he was recruited he was what we needed a second rower who could offload. At the time we had a solid forward pack and average halves. He seemed motivated when he first arrived on his high salary and 2011 went well. 2012 his best play was putting Maloney through a hole although that should have been the other way around.

The last two years like others have pointed out he's been trying to force things to much and do the miracle play instead of focusing on the core jobs of his position. Has he been marked a lot more yes, but like a few of our players he can't help himself to the point the refs see him as someone with a loose carry who can't help himself.

Our needs have changed we have Johnson and Tomkins to create for us and it's safer to pass the ball to Hurrell to bash his way through the line and Matulino and others run harder and are getting better offloads away. A bench spot is even harder to place him with the way Ikahahifo and Lousi are going.

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42
well you can only really have 25 top tier guys anyway, so it really only leaves 8 players outside your top 17. I guess you have to pick and choose where you want your depth coz you can't have heaps everywhere... looks like we have gone for versatile backrowers.

That's true and as danpatmac says, centre/backrowers or prop/backrowers seem the options. Maybe it'll count in Feleti's favour that he can cover five eighth if need be (and I fervently hope it needn't be!) when it comes to renogotiating his and others contracts...

I guess some positions are like goalkeepers in football, do you have one on the bench twiddling his thumbs on the off-chance that the main goalie gets injured/sent off and so doesn't get any decent gametime apart from maybe a game once every six games or so and games in the cup competition the club really doesn't care about etc, or do you take a punt and not pick a recognized goalkeeper, just have an outfield player who could step in if that off-chance becomes an on-chance?

No. None of the ones I talk to ever do. They dont pay attention to fan forums. With all the negativity most times can you blame them? Would drive anyone nuts...

And apart from the negativity, there's all the differing opinions about what they should do. Each player would be completely paralyzed with indecision - "Hmmmm....So, do I throw the offloads like mrblonde says, or just take the hitups and don't do anything dumb like mt wellington wants? What to do, what to do...." And get bagged what ever road they take.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
And apart from the negativity, there's all the differing opinions about what they should do. Each player would be completely paralyzed with indecision - "Hmmmm....So, do I throw the offloads like mrblonde says, or just take the hitups and don't do anything dumb like mt wellington wants? What to do, what to do...." And get bagged what ever road they take.
Why would they listen to us? We are the ones sitting in the grandstands or armchairs. They know more about the game then most of us put together. They have a small army of coaches, trainers, physios, statisticians, nutritionists, etc at their disposal.

I know certain departments at Warriors HQ ghost this site to gauge fan reactions but the players know better. It would be hard not to get worked up and take some of the fans comments personal. Some fans are just idiots as well. Look at the shit Todd Lowrie got when he was on the radio.

We come here and rabbit on for our own gratification. Scratch that itch. Im pretty sure we dont seriously believe they read this stuff...

Inruin

Contributor
Mateos best game of the year against the Titans?

He made some good meters and troubled the defense without making me nervous.

But he's still not at his best just yet.
he is no where near his best IMO. if Rapira is fit, Mateo drops back to NSWarriors...

macker

he is no where near his best IMO. if Rapira is fit, Mateo drops back to NSWarriors...
Mateos stats
26 mins.
10 runs for 91 mts, averaging 9.1 mts per run (which is great).
1 off load and 1 try assist.
10 tackles and 0 missed
Not sure about errors, but I don't remember seeing any.

Those are quality stats for one of our attacking weapons in 26 mins of game time.
If he gets 50 mins do all those stats double?

Reactions: Defence