Player Feleti Mateo

macker

There's a lot of opinions around Mateo at the moment, so I thought I might make him his own thread. (If the mods allow it lol).

I think he's an awesomely talented player who doesn't have anything near the right attitude to play for the new look warriors.

His head seems to be on getting his face on the highlights reel, instead of pushing the opposition down the field.

If he can put his back into his work and bend the line more often than he passes the ball that would probably be enough for me.

Along with upping his work on D of course. He's a big unit who needs to hurt his opposite number so that we can win the grinding games.

I gave him a 5 out of 10 for his cameo against the Raiders. Not good enough by a long way for a guy earning $10,000 a week to play footy.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Unfortunately the guy has the "Krisnan Inu syndrome" in that he has the ability to be amazing but unfortunately is erratically inconsistant in delivering on it.

Dont know the guy from a bar of soap so not gonna speculate on his reasoning or motivations too much, but somewhere for some reason he doesnt seem to have the right motivations to perform consistantly where we need him to be, maybe he is too comfortable in this environment?

Million dollar question is do we persist with him in the hope we can find the trigger to make him perform or do we cut our losses? Personally I dont think we will ever be able to trust he'll stay consistant if he ever hits form so I would just cut our losses with him as he is currently not a vital ingredient in our success.

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
From memory I also rated Feleti a 5/10.

Disturbingly, in the past I have considered him to be someone who shines in a dominant team but goes invisible under duress.

VS Canberra was the ideal opportunity for someone like Mateo to be destructive, which didn't happen. However due to lack of game time and probably feeling under pressure to look amazing in limited minutes, it's hard to judge.

I've heard rumours of Mateo not putting in at training, and being on the "to be released" list. If either of these are legit it'd help explain the lack of impact / apparent lack of effort.

I'm not someone who ever wants a player to fail and we all know the ideal situation would be for Mateo to find top form; he's in SBW league when at the top of his game. But yeah he's a massive brute, seems to have very little impact for his size and power... and seems to go missing a lot for someone who has the skillset to play 6.

Gen. Melchett

Warriors Bench Player
May 6, 2014
the09
I can remember watching the Footy Show back when the news broke about Inu and Mateo heading to the warriors, Nathen Hindmarsh was asked what he thought about the two of them leaving he said " hopefully they that can get more out of them than we can" they both had reps as being bad trainers, I'm surprised the warriors got involed in the first place, yes both are talented but the modern day player must train hard also to impress coaches and team mates and gain there respect. imo

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
It would take stunning reversal of form from Mateo for me to consider it being worthwhile for us to have him on our roster, especially with the money he's on.

As it stands, in 2015, this is how I would rank (roughly) the back rowers at our club:

Simon Mannering
Jayson Bukuya
Ben Matulino
Ryan Hoffman
Sebastine Ikahihifo
Ben Henry
Sione Lousi
Feleti Mateo

We're paying Mateo far too much money to be our 8th best back rower...

Hope he either starts playing like a man possessed, or (preferably) we can offload him to another club and open up huge chunk of cap at the same time.

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
We're paying Mateo far too much money to be our 8th best back rower...
Arguable list but Mateo's placing is fair. He's been abysmal this season and much of the previous two. Overall we simply have too much $$ invested in the second row, particularly if Matulino is considered a full-timer there now.

Sadly, I expect Ikahihifo to depart at season's end, likely alongside Mateo.

Reactions: InsideBall

Gen. Melchett

Warriors Bench Player
May 6, 2014
the09
Sadly, I expect Ikahihifo to depart at season's end, likely alongside Mateo

Hopefully not, Ikahihifo has been one of the stand outs in there last two games imo has really been putting in those extra 1%ers they talk about. Be sad to see him on the scrap heap with Mateo he doesnt deserve that, surely theres room for him in the cap. Who is currently off contract at the end of the season?

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
Arguable list but Mateo's placing is fair. He's been abysmal this season and much of the previous two. Overall we simply have too much $$ invested in the second row, particularly if Matulino is considered a full-timer there now.

Sadly, I expect Ikahihifo to depart at season's end, likely alongside Mateo.
Hugely arguable list... I argued with myself about it. But, as I said, it was rough, and in reality the top four could be interchanged, as could Seb and Benry. However, what we agree on is where Mateo sits in that pecking order... And from a financial perspective alone, that situation just isn't workable.

I'd hate to lose Seb though, he's been a revelation this year.

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Hopefully not, Ikahihifo has been one of the stand outs in there last two games imo has really been putting in those extra 1%ers they talk about. Be sad to see him on the scrap heap with Mateo he doesnt deserve that, surely theres room for him in the cap. Who is currently off contract at the end of the season?

Jerome Ropati 2014
Nathan Friend 2014
Kevin Locke 2014
Albert Vete 2014
Raymond Faitala-Mariner 2014
Sebastine Ikahihifo 2014

Read more: https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...ngs-and-rumour-mill-2014.17103/#ixzz31T8vuUgv

Looks to be a dwindling list, and Sebastine has been in form for a good month now... surely enough to earn an extension if it was coming. Unless his manager is playing hardball - would be a tad silly with us active in the high-roller market right now.

Marshthedarsh

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2012
He's just not performing well. So he can get dropped to NSW Cup or "below" - or he can go look around for some offers. Sorry Mateo, but this kinda thing happens when you don't play well enough. Same goes for Nielsen.

Far Away Fan

Jerome Ropati 2014
Nathan Friend 2014
Kevin Locke 2014
Albert Vete 2014
Sebastine Ikahihifo 2014

Read more: https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...ngs-and-rumour-mill-2014.17103/#ixzz31T8vuUgv

Looks to be a dwindling list, and Sebastine has been in form for a good month now... surely enough to earn an extension if it was coming. Unless his manager is playing hardball - would be a tad silly with us active in the high-roller market right now.
I don't know what it is with SI and him not being re-signed. Apparently McFaddy really likes him and as far as I'm concerned he's a great player. But then maybe he knows that the writing is on the wall as far as a likely regular place in First Grade is concerned, what with our overflowing second row resources right now. It'd be shame for him to leave, a shame for him to have to leave perhaps, but maybe that's what's best for him.

[Oh and yes, I know this post isn't about Mateo, but I thought it all been said about him already. Though it's great that Macker's starting post wasn't what I expected this thread to be, a hate-filled horror show.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
With a bench hooker clearly in McFadden's game plan, two 80 minute second rowers in Hoffman and Mannering, there's only room for two more.
Of our signed players, Mateo, Matulino, Bukuya, Lousi and Henry are already battling for the other two spots... let's be realistic... there WILL be departures from our second row stocks.

Out of the above, I'd have to say Mateo and Sebastine get cut. Henry's versatility earns him the spot, Lousi's ability to play lock / SR and prop, Bukuya's somewhat unique running game, Matulino being one of our best forwards overall.

stacky18

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2013
Its pretty sad watching Mateo at the moment, here's a guy that can pull off miracle plays but this year he struggles to take a hit up.
I want to see Mateo charging at the line without the bloody dancing shoes on. Then after he's taken a few hits he can look for tired defenders and off load. But he looks largely directionless at the moment.
If, and this is a big if, If Mateo can find some energy and will to attack the line then he is worthwhile keeping but at the moment he's really just taking up space.
The reality is, who would take him when he's playing like he is at the moment? Where stuck between a rock and a hard place with Mateo, hes under contracted and I done know who would take him off our hands.
Maybe we should give Penrith a call, Ivan will take anyone who has worn a Warriors jersey.

Reactions: InsideBall

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
With a bench hooker clearly in McFadden's game plan, two 80 minute second rowers in Hoffman and Mannering, there's only room for two more.
Of our signed players, Mateo, Matulino, Bukuya, Lousi and Henry are already battling for the other two spots... let's be realistic... there WILL be departures from our second row stocks.

Out of the above, I'd have to say Mateo and Sebastine get cut. Henry's versatility earns him the spot, Lousi's ability to play lock / SR and prop, Bukuya's somewhat unique running game, Matulino being one of our best forwards overall.
Another thing to consider, especially with the Hoffman signing, is that perhaps they're looking at contingency plans in case Bukuya gets pinged by Asada. He'll be gone for two years, if what I'm reading is correct, which will mean he will be out of action passed our current contract with him. If the worst does happen, there will definitely be room for Seb on our roster (I tend to think there is regardless)...

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
(I tend to think there is regardless)...
It may come down to Seb's levels of optimism. Does he back himself to play past the others on that list, while also holding off our youngsters?
If he does get a solid contract elsewhere, it'd be stupid to remain here as a purely depth player.

Mateo not dissimilar. If he's going to be playing NSWarriors / minimal time off the bench, he's better off asking for a release. Of course... we may be committed to paying him massive money for another two years regardless of form haha.

EDIT: you do raise a valid point regarding bukuya!

Danpatmac

Feleti Mateo has become a touch rugby player in an NRL team.

Stephen Hawking would contribute more energy in defence.

• Haha
Reactions: Xfactor

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Jerome Ropati 2014
Nathan Friend 2014
Kevin Locke 2014
Albert Vete 2014
Sebastine Ikahihifo 2014

From speaking to another player, Seb is really enjoying the club at the moment, training the house down, learning heaps and definitely wants to stay - it would have to be the club not being able to fit him in that would make him leave. He (his agent) is still in talks with the club but I'm assuming that his place is dependent on what happens to Mateo.

Personally, I'd love for him to stay around and keep on developing and learning cos I think Seb has a lot to offer the club.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
It may come down to Seb's levels of optimism. Does he back himself to play past the others on that list, while also holding off our youngsters?
If he does get a solid contract elsewhere, it'd be stupid to remain here as a purely depth player.
Depth can erode pretty quickly especially in the forwards, two weeks ago Peyroux was starting in the second row, we think Seb Ika is great but he hasn't been putting up monster stats that would draw the attention of other teams, yet, and he is a sort of unusual type of backrower.

No one other than uncle Ivan wants ex-warriors it seems, i hope they find room to keep him.

Upcoming Match

Manly Sea Eagles Central Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.4 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 17 ratings