Rumour Feleti Mateo To Panthers In 2014?

ToiletDuck

Administrator
slide.jpg

It'd be a big loss in my opinion, not least of all because we have little else in the way of 'attacking' backrowers. I was impressed by him last year, even while the team itself went to absolute crap. He has ties in NZ so hopefully that sways his decision. Anyway, speculation will only mount as the season progresses. Article below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With his price tag about to soar, the Warriors are no certainty to retain Feleti Mateo at the end of this year.
Negotiations are underway to re-sign the prized asset, but the Penrith Panthers are just one suitor to indicate interest, which could leave the Warriors locked in a tug-of-war for his valuable services.
"We've started discussions with Feleti and his agent," Warriors general manager Dean Bell told the Sunday Star-Times. "We met with his agent a couple of months ago. Both the club and Matt [coach Elliot] are really keen to retain him.
"It will come down to a personal decision. The ball is in his court. We'll respect his wishes that he wants time to think about it."
After shipping Michael Jennings to the Roosters - and shedding the majority of his $1.8 million, three-year contract - plus offloading Michael Gordon and Luke Lewis to the Cronulla Sharks, the Panthers' books are in a healthy state. They are looking to spend and Mateo, the Warriors' All Star representative next month, is a prime target.
Entering his third year in Auckland, Mateo's preference is to stay at the Warriors, but a move to the foot of the mountains - and closer to Sydney - may appeal if the Panthers present the right offer.
Former Warriors turned Panthers coach Ivan Cleary, who enticed Lewis Brown to jump ship, is another potential lure.
"I'm the sort of bloke that would never say no," Mateo said of a possible move. "I've worked with Ivan before and had a good relationship with him. Penrith being close to Parramatta is obviously another bonus.
"I'm really happy here and I'll give the Warriors all my respect and loyalty first, but if I can't work out a deal with them then I'll move elsewhere. But my intentions are to stay at the Warriors and hopefully I can get that sorted.
"I've started to speak to the Warriors and it's always nice to know you're wanted."
It's clear the Warriors have to significantly increase Mateo's contract to keep him.
New South Wales coach Laurie Daley is a strong supporter of the backrower's attacking genius, which could open the door for his State of Origin debut, after he switched allegiance from Tonga to Australia last year. That would only increase interest levels, and his market value.
One suspects the 27-year-old could be set for a breakout year. After a torrid pre-season, the former Eels star is in the best shape of his career.

From stuff.co.nz

I saw that..

The Panthers are really hurt after loosing Jennings in that ambush by the Roosters.

They will be on the hunt & Ivan Cleary knows where to scource good players..

Look for a few ambush's Warriors way.

Reactions: Sup42

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I saw that..

The Panthers are really hurt after loosing Jennings in that ambush by the Roosters.

They will be on the hunt & Ivan Cleary knows where to scource good players..

Look for a few ambush's Warriors way.
Panthers shopped Jennings around so it was no ambush. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Cleary and Gould probably popped some champagne as soon as the deal was signed off...

*BTW, which thread do we use?

Reactions: Mr Frank White

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Panthers shopped Jennings around so it was no ambush. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Cleary and Gould probably popped some champagne as soon as the deal was signed off...

*BTW, which thread do we use?

This one. That other thread was intended for all transfer discussion in the NRL outside of Warriors related stuff. Warriors related transfers etc obviously get a lot more discussion, especially high profile ones like this.

Reactions: mt.wellington
man that will be a punch to the solar pleixs if we lose are only ball playing back rower .dosent matter how much money we offer him if Mateo wants to play for NSW he will up sticks for the blue mountains IMO which sux,

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Don't be suprised if he ends up in super league

Really? I would be surprised if he ended up over there. He wants to play Origin, Laurie Daley likes him....he's got ties in Sydney and now NZ. Also in line for the biggest contract of his career in the NRL, surely the UK is pretty far down the list?

Though apparently he has been keen on Les Catalans, so you may be correct.

Really? I would be surprised if he ended up over there. He wants to play Origin, Laurie Daley likes him....he's got ties in Sydney and now NZ. Also in line for the biggest contract of his career in the NRL, surely the UK is pretty far down the list?

U could be right- just something I heard from a mate who is involved with parra- said they don't hold much hope of him returning coz catalans are putting in a massive offer- doesn't necessarily mean he will accept it- time will tell I guess

ToiletDuck

Administrator
U could be right- just something I heard from a mate who is involved with parra- said they don't hold much hope of him returning coz catalans are putting in a massive offer- doesn't necessarily mean he will accept it- time will tell I guess

Yeah I'd heard that too, for whatever reason my brain wasn't associating Les Catalans with the ESL. If it looks like he's off the club needs to head into the market for another backrower capable of at least an offload or a couple of tackle breaks. Not going to find in our own backyard in time for 2014.

Yeah I'd heard that too, for whatever reason my brain wasn't associating Les Catalans with the ESL. If it looks like he's off the club needs to head into the market for another backrower capable of at least an offload or a couple of tackle breaks. Not going to find in our own backyard in time for 2014.

Josh Papalii hasn't re-signed with the Raiders yet. Brad Takairangi off contract too. No one else available for 2014 jumps out to me.

Almost impossible to replace Mateo tbh, he's such a unique player but I wouldn't write off our young guys- sam lousi is def capable of an off load and ikahihifo a few tackle breaks- will be interesting to see how those two come along this year- maybe mateos money would be better spent on top line half with friend leaving( probably) and shoulders moving to hooker?

Danpatmac

Almost impossible to replace Mateo tbh, he's such a unique player but I wouldn't write off our young guys- sam lousi is def capable of an off load and ikahihifo a few tackle breaks- will be interesting to see how those two come along this year- maybe mateos money would be better spent on top line half with
friend leaving( probably) and shoulders moving to hooker?

This is my feeling too, if Mateo goes who is going to replace him as our back-up winger?

Reactions: Xfactor
I would think he wants to stay, but will want to see how we start this year off. If we are looking like a lower table team like last year, wouldnt be suprised to see him leave.

Shit we need him. Ivan can have Taylor then piss off.

I'd say almost definitely he will leave - I seriously hope not, but I heard some strong rumours a while back that he was going to link with St George. Honestly, I would be surprised if he stayed. Would be a huge blow if he were to go.

Wouldnt be suprised if he goes, have thought that since start of last season

dont know what it is, but he has never struck me as a player who would play here longer than his 3 year contract