General Expansion Plans Cloudy - http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,2679

LordGnome_old

ESTABLISHING a second Melbourne team would fall a distant fifth behind places such as Perth and Adelaide if the NRL goes ahead with plans to expand the 16-team competition.
Despite the success of the Storm both on and off the field, NRL boss David Gallop declared other areas a bigger priority for any possible new teams.
Gallop said the current economic climate was clouding any plans to expand the NRL beyond the current competition but wouldn't rule it out down the track.
With a new TV rights deal being brokered for 2012 and beyond, Gallop said the NRL had considered hot spots for extra teams.
News also surfaced yesterday that the Papua New Guinea Government had put $250,000 towards a bid to enter a PNG team.

But Gallop said securing the financial future of the current clubs was paramount, putting any expansion on the backburner.
"I think it is critically important that the 16 clubs that we have got are not going to easily deal with expansion,'' he said. "I think you always have to be looking at that when you talk about expansion. I don't see it in our short-term plans.
"But we are looking at places like the Central Coast, like the areas west of Brisbane, like Perth, like Adelaide, some time in the future but we are not prepared to put a date on those.''
Gallop was in Melbourne yesterday for a question and answer session with Storm players at which skipper Cameron Smith told him the season was too long.
Smith, who plays up to five extra games for Queensland and Australia during the year, said the NRL was risking star burnout if the 26-round home and away fixture was not shortened.
"Every time I'm in a camp with Origin or Australia it's always brought up between the team,'' he said. "We love playing the game and would like to play it for our whole lives but we have only got a certain amount of time to go and you can only play as long as your body lets you.''

LordGnome_old

https://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=32350

PNG BIDS TO HAVE NRL TEAM AS EXPANSION LOOMS
Thursday 19 Feb 2009 15:28
by Matthew O'Neill

1106_img.jpg

The Papua New Guinea government headed up by Prime Minister Michael Somare has kicked off their bid to field a team in the NRL by outlaying $250,000 to put together the application.

Rugby League is much more than the major sport in PNG and it's believed around 2,000,000 people of PNG's population of 6,000,000 plays the game. The passion for the game is that strong that people play the game all year round in searing heat, on all sorts of surfaces and often in bare feet.

During the World Cup game when Australia took on PNG at Townsville there was $20,000,000 put aside for any PNG side in the NRL.

The support for Rugby League in PNG is beyond belief with the popularity of the NRL and State of Origin at extreme highs.

Influential political figures in PNG believe that a side in the NRL will have excellent unifying effect for the country and provide a platform for the millions of players to have a professional platform to work from.

Private enterprise companies have been approached to provide guaranteed funding for a PNG side and ensure their long-term survival in the strongest Rugby League club competition.

PNG's Deputy Prime Minister Puka Temu said "Imagine a PNG team in the NRL competition, imagine the opportunities, and imagine the strengthening of the PNG and Australia relationship.

"To have our very own NRL team would unite the whole country."

PNG rugby league president Danny Holmes "We can have more influence than the government, that's how important and big this is.

"The implications are greater than just having a footy side in the NRL, it gives a big time goal to every kid who puts a boot on.

"We've been using league as a way for kids to learn to be part of a team and a community with a common goal, to learn life skills and confidence.

"The government has researched and there is corporate interest. The time frame is eight years but there is also talk about 2012, when Somare may retire, so we see," he said.

The NRL faces challenges ahead in the game with the game entering a period where expansion has to be explored, but not at the extreme expense of killing off the Sydney market where the traditional sides still hold a place of importance.

Areas such as PNG, a second New Zealand side, a second Brisbane side and Perth are certainly the four areas that have to be explored first followed by Adelaide as the 5th option and after that would be the Sunshine Coast of Queensland, Ipswich and the Central Coast of NSW.

Fitting 21-23 areas into 16-18 teams remains the challenge for the NRL as they have to get the balance right between tradition and expansion and also ensuring traditional areas out of Sydney such as Brisbane, Townsville, Newcastle and Canberra are looked after with a thriving Rugby League side along with the Dragons playing around half their games in Wollongong.

Some Sydney sides are beginning to struggle with Cronulla already in financial debt and other sides not looking overly strong. Only the Bulldogs and Roosters remain close to 100% safe of the Sydney based sides due to the continued success and constitutional structure of Canterbury League Club where they have to under-write the Bulldogs Football Club regardless and the Roosters have countless support at the top end of town in Sydney.

Interesting times ahead for the game, but it shows the strength of the NRL is there with upwards of eight areas that are capable of hosting an NRL side and five of those areas have the Rugby League backbone and junior structures already in place.

The key to the future of the game is how the NRL sells its television, mobile, internet and media rights when they come up for renewal. The NRL has continually under-sold the value of Rugby League when it's fact that Rugby League is the bread winner for Foxtel and Fox Sports and that Rugby League is the only hope Channel 9 has if they want to claw back the ratings deficit against Channel 7.

The NRL has to market and sell its game to receive the true value its worth, which is far more significant than any other Sport in Australia by a country mile.

Is David Gallop the answer to expand and traditionalise the game of Rugby League in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea in the coming years?

The game of Rugby League should be looking at avenues at keeping at least six of the nine Sydney sides (including the Dragons) and expanding into areas such as PNG, another New Zealand side, another Brisbane side and Perth as them four areas are a must plus look at opportunities into Adelaide, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Ipswich for the game to grow with the current times.

Jesbass_old

David Gallop said:
"But we are looking at places like the Central Coast, like the areas west of Brisbane, like Perth, like Adelaide, some time in the future but we are not prepared to put a date on those.''

Is this the same man who said that Wellington is the next cab off the rank after the Gold Coast? Has the Wellington bid fallen through? Is the funding still there?

2big2strong_old

David Gallop couldn't organize a root in a brothel.

He's done a lot of good for Rugby League thanks to his conservative approach, but at the same time he's selling our game short, especially with the tv rights and saying that the AFL have a better product than us? go figure, even if it was true you don't say that as a CEO!

Our game nearly went bust 10 years ago because they added far too many teams at once, but our game is at a point now where we have the players (must be 50 NRL standard Australians/Kiwi's playing in super league) to introduce at least 1 more team immediately. I want a team in Wellington. The central coast bid is a joke, it's not even 1 hour away from Sydney! WHY PUT ANOTHER TEAM IN NSW?. Perth deserve a team and maybe they could justify a second Brisbane team.

Northern_Union

Not sure who said it but it was said on Radio Sport on Brenda Telfers show that Wellington was next cab off the rank.
One would presume that the money is still in place for the Wellington bid BUT the thing that would worry me about that money is Andrew Chalmers is/was involved with it. As for the Belgium millionaire....was he real or invented???
Perth has always been on the agenda for expansion, many said that it was a mistake to pull the Western Reds out of the ARL, like the Gold Coast they still have money in the kick from when they got the arse. It would probably be a good idea to go back into Perth seeing as the Force seem to be fighting a losing battle over there.
BUT.....BUT the game in NZ NEEDS a second NRL side to hold ground and rebuild the game in New Zealand. And can you imagine how good a local darby would be between a Southern Orcas v Warriors team??? Talk about a stadium filler!!!
It would also eventually lead to an expanded World club challenge with two sides from NZ, top two from Australia, possibly two from France, possibly one from Scotland and two from England and one from Wales.

Spence_old

What do you think Australians would think of another Kiwi team? How were the Warriors greeted back in '95?

Northern_Union

What do you think Australians would think of another Kiwi team? How were the Warriors greeted back in '95?

Hord to say really. Australia is one of the major reasons union got so far ahead of us globally. Turn back the clock 50 years and league and union pretty much on a par internationally, fast forward to modern day and we (league) have a lot of catching up to do.
I do think that the Aussies have realised that for there own sakes league has to expand globally and thankfully we are now doing that. So all in all while the average self absored aussie league fan might want it to happen thankfully those in power in Australia have a broader view of the league world.
What worries me a little is that i noticed that alot of the younger fans on this very site put winning the NRL title above winning tests and world cups....thats the thinking that got league into so much trouble up until 10 to 15 years ago.

Spence_old

What worries me a little is that i noticed that alot of the younger fans on this very site put winning the NRL title above winning tests and world cups....thats the thinking that got league into so much trouble up until 10 to 15 years ago.

Elaborate..?

Do you mean that 50 years ago more emphasis was put on domestic competitions, rather than internationals. So young fans supported Union, because the national team was beating people, rather than supporting the domestic teams?

Northern_Union

Elaborate..?

Do you mean that 50 years ago more emphasis was put on domestic competitions, rather than internationals. So young fans supported Union, because the national team was beating people, rather than supporting the domestic teams?

Yes and no, 50 years ago union was played properly in as many countries as league. 50 years ago union decided to expand globally while league decided English and Australian domestic footy was more important. So now union is reaping the benefits of forward thinking administrators and have really got there house in order globally while league is trying to catch up.
What i mean by the younger supporters is that what got league into the position it is now in terms of trying to catch up with union is that the fellows running the game 50 years ago and even up until 20 years almost killed international league by making it a second tear competiton to domestic football in Australia and England and even France. Now i'm seeing that same thinking in the younger generation that put winning the NRL title above the World cup (there was a thread on this forum on it somewhere).

Spence_old

Perhaps the younger supporters would prefer a NRL title because they got into league through the domestic comps, rather than the internationals?

Northern_Union

Yep you may very well be right Spence. But how many union fans would rather a NPC or S14 title above a WC win or a Bledislow cup win? Very very few i'd imagine. And to that end i tip my hat to union and it's fans.

Spence_old

And that ties in with what you were saying, Union focused on internationals, so the fans prefer internationals. League focused on domestic, the new fans prefeer domestic. Where as when you were growin up, more emphasis was put on internationals, so you like internationals (apologies if you aren't actually very old at all, and have just reasearched it). In a very simplified, in a nutshell, kind of way.

2big2strong_old

And that ties in with what you were saying, Union focused on internationals, so the fans prefer internationals. League focused on domestic, the new fans prefeer domestic. Where as when you were growin up, more emphasis was put on internationals, so you like internationals (apologies if you aren't actually very old at all, and have just reasearched it). In a very simplified, in a nutshell, kind of way.

There is a major difference between international and domestic marketing though Spence!

It doesn't simply come down to preference to the fans. Look what the All Blacks have become in NZ, they've become a national identity, a brand. Why? because they represent every Kiwi man, woman and child. When I was a kid I can't even recall watching a game of rugby but I did know that I wanted to be an All black when I grew up! Why? because that meant I was a kiwi, and how more kiwi could you get than being an All Black?????

When it comes to domestic, it's more about going for the team in the area that you come from or like NZ pre 1995, whoever had your favourite players etc. It didn't give you to dream of or be proud of like a silver fern.

In other words, you have to be a true, educated fan of a sport and club to support that domestic club. To support your country, you just have to know where you're from!

Kav_old

and not only the younger fans on this site, Drago!

Kav

LordGnome_old

One thing I don't get is the argument against expansion being that the season is already too long - how does adding an extra team affect this at all (its not like they all play each other twice - surely, if you wanted a 21 week season, you could have 22 teams in the comp etc........?)