General Expansion of the NRL

insulinboi_old

If there was a team in the south isaldn, what would happen to the warriors? they certainly couldn't be called the NZ warriors anymore. Probably go back to being the Auckland Warriors.

Skinny_Ravs82

I already posted the information about the future stadium along with a photo earlier in this thread, it will be finished this year, ready to play in next year

Am looking forward to it I mus say. I really, really dislike OP. LOL. Not that I haven't said that enough times! :p

Northern_Union

If there was a team in the south isaldn, what would happen to the warriors? they certainly couldn't be called the NZ warriors anymore. Probably go back to being the Auckland Warriors.

The Orcas would be known as the Southern Orcas which i think would leave the Warriors able to still be called the NZ Warriors.

Kid-Dynamite_old

I already posted the information about the future stadium along with a photo earlier in this thread, it will be finished this year, ready to play in next year

So what are they doing to Olympic Park then??

And who uses the Telstra Dome in Melbourne???
The NRL boys hardly play there, the AFL boys use the MCG, is the Telstra Dome for Soccer??

attila_the_gorilla

Doesn`t make any sense to call the Warriors NZ Warriors. Neither today, nor in the future. The NRL is not a league of countries, in fact other teams are not even called by their states, only their cities. Just because the Storm are the only team in Victoria, they should not be called the Victorian Storm. Every team is based in a city, or a certain part of a city. Makes no sense at all. Just because the Warriors should be called the Auckland Warriors, it doesn`t mean other New Zealanders can`t support them. But let`s not allow our name to suggest that we need the entire country of New Zealand to be able to compete with Canberra or South Sydney.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Doesn`t make any sense to call the Warriors NZ Warriors. Neither today, nor in the future. The NRL is not a league of countries, in fact other teams are not even called by their states, only their cities. Just because the Storm are the only team in Victoria, they should not be called the Victorian Storm. Every team is based in a city, or a certain part of a city. Makes no sense at all. Just because the Warriors should be called the Auckland Warriors, it doesn`t mean other New Zealanders can`t support them. But let`s not allow our name to suggest that we need the entire country of New Zealand to be able to compete with Canberra or South Sydney.

We've had this argument! ;)

Northern_Union

Never a truer word has been spoken on these forums brother!

JonB_old

But the proposal is for home games to be split between the cake tin and AMI. Also, the last four major league matches down there have averaged around the 20k mark which gives those driving the Orcas hope.

Do you think that would work though? It would almost mean that 2/3 of the games per year are away games......... that would be hard, its not that I want a team to fail, but i just don't see it succeeding...... Maybe I need more faith

Northern_Union

One game a month would work i think, you wouldn't get the staleness you get with one game a fortnight at Mt Smart.

Skinny_Ravs82

LOL no thanks, and yes we've had this argument before and still got no where

Skinny_Ravs82

So what are they doing to Olympic Park then??

And who uses the Telstra Dome in Melbourne???
The NRL boys hardly play there, the AFL boys use the MCG, is the Telstra Dome for Soccer??

Storm used Telstra Dome once, most AFL games do get played there from time to time, the odd soccer one. SOO was held there last year or the year before, a 2006 tri nations games. But as far as I'm aware its split with AFL coz of the MCG. Collingwood played there a few times and I think the Carlton Blues do too.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Storm used Telstra Dome once, most AFL games do get played there from time to time, the odd soccer one. SOO was held there last year or the year before, a 2006 tri nations games. But as far as I'm aware its split with AFL coz of the MCG. Collingwood played there a few times and I think the Carlton Blues do too.

ODI cricket is played there sometimes as well, Is that right??

Northern_Union

The Kiwis and Kangaroos played there in 06. I think they got 33,000 to the match from memory.

Jesbass_old

Skinny, how many fans go to the average Melbourne Victory match at Olympic Park...and I hate that stadium, too. It makes me feel grateful about having Mt Smart.

Esoj_old

perth are fairly desperate to get back in. From what I read on LU awhile back their plan is to work up the grades with a team with an eventual return back to the nrl.

I think there is still the 8 mill on offer for a team to relocate to the central coast which i could see one of the sydney based teams doing as they are all fighting pretty much in the same market. beyond that a team based out of wellington/christchuch seems like it could be a possibilty as there does seem to be interest down that way and wellington seems to be producing a lot of talent recently for league.

2big2strong_old

Skinny, how many fans go to the average Melbourne Victory match at Olympic Park...and I hate that stadium, too. It makes me feel grateful about having Mt Smart.

I know that during last season they were averaging around 25,000 and the year before they averaged around 50,000 for each of the finals games they played. All their games are played at Telstra dome

Queensland Roar were getting crowds of around 30,000 to Suncorp when they kicked things off but dwindled away to about 15,000 now.