General Expansion of the NRL

kane_old

Personally I would like to see another 2 teams compete in the nrl. These 2 teams I would like to see accepted are:

1. Central Coast Bears: The central coast has a huge following of rugby league and also has a great stadium. North Sydney were supposed to move there in 2000 but had to merge with manly instead which was a great shame. Also will be some competition for the Knights.

2. West Coast Reds: Team will play in perth which had a following before the reds were dumped in 1997 after superleague. Could be some competition from both the force(super 14) and the eagles (AFL) in the crowd pulling factor but I believe that they might be competitive in the NRL.

So those are my 2 teams. Would like to know your thoughts on this subject.

Kid-Dynamite_old

They need a team from Tasmania! :)

Do they get any attention down there!?

ONETRIBECHIEF_old

I think the NRl will stay at the the same number of team for a while but they wont all be located in the same place because most league clubs are in the shit cause of the pokie machine money being cut, and people simply dont the money anymore.

The teams in 10 years time

Gold Coast Titans, in the current form now, cant see them being put under financial pressure

Brisbane Broncos, same as the Titams,

North Queensland Cowboys, should be still around, but if they have anothaer couple of years like this one the cwords will dwindle down to the levels in the late 1990s and early 2000s which will put them under pressure

Sydney Roosters, privately owned which helps them, really same as Titans

Manly Sea Eagles, should still be at Brookvale Oval, but if council doesnt give money for new stands the management said they would consider playing at Bluetongue(central coast)

Newcastle Knights, always have good crowd support which will keep them safe

St Geogre Dragons, same as Newcaslte but wont pay at Stadium Australia, Hhalf at Kograh and half at win

West Tigers, will play less games at Stadium Australia more at Liechard and Cambelltown to save money

Bulldogs, still in the comp but will move back to Belmore? cause of dwindling crowd figures at Stadium Australia

Warriors, one of the asseyts to the NRl cause more ex pats go to see them play in Australia meening higer crowd figures in stadiums, privately owned so thats no problem

Eels, crowd numbers reasonable, breeding ground for many wrong talents, will move all home games back to Parramatta Stadium

Raiders, should be safe, keep giving them monday night home games

Sharks, Should be safe, good on and off the field, cant see thre NRL kicking them out

Penrith Panthers, same as the Sharks

Melbourne Storm, obvisously

South Syndney Rabbitohs, under the most pressure, could be put under pressure to relocate to Central Coast or to Perth, and gain the 8million dollars the NRL is offering to any club willing to relocate.

Now if expansion was to occur the possiblities

Cental Coast

Perth

Adeliade

Wellington (only just missed out to the Titans) really depends on how the Warriors are going. If we are performing well on and off the field and getting good crowds , not in financial trouble they will have a very strong case) another plus for them is the wellington Phoenix which are all of the things if mentioned about the Warriors

Northern_Union

Firstly all the teams that play at Stadium Aus do so because they are gaurenteed $100,00aus per match so there is no way those clubs will give that up.

Second, The Perth Weston Reds still has around $100,000 in the bank to this day and the NRL has stated that they are keen to reinsert Perth back into the NRL. Many have rightly made the comment that they should never have been cut in the first place.

Thirdly, when the Gold Coast got back in NRL officials said that another NZ team would be the next cab off the rank. You'd have to assume that it will be a Southern Orcas based team playing half there home matches out of Jade stadium or what every it's called now and the other half out of the cake tin.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Firstly all the teams that play at Stadium Aus do so because they are gaurenteed $100,00aus per match so there is no way those clubs will give that up.

Second, The Perth Weston Reds still has around $100,000 in the bank to this day and the NRL has stated that they are keen to reinsert Perth back into the NRL. Many have rightly made the comment that they should never have been cut in the first place.

Thirdly, when the Gold Coast got back in NRL officials said that another NZ team would be the next cab off the rank. You'd have to assume that it will be a Southern Orcas based team playing half there home matches out of Jade stadium or what every it's called now and the other half out of the cake tin.

AMI Stadium! ;)

JonB_old

I think a team in Christchurch would be a terrible idea, we do not have the population base to support to major teams (Crusaders & Orcas).
The Crusaders get around 15,000 per game- most semi finals do not sell out.
The 10 most affluent suburbs do not have League teams and of the areas that do have League teams only one of them I would consider middle class.

Hornby is not a rich area, Linwood the same, Aranui, the same, Sydnem, the same, Kia Poi maybe average but 50km from AMI stadium, Addington, way below average, Halswell above average...... Shirley not way above average some nice areas.

There is just not the money for it- I do not want a team to come here and fail which I think would happen.

Kid-Dynamite_old

I think a team in Christchurch would be a terrible idea, we do not have the population base to support to major teams (Crusaders & Orcas).
The 10 most affluent suburbs do not have League teams and of the areas that do have League teams only one of them I would consider middle class.

Hornby is not a rich area, Linwood the same, Aranui, the same, Sydnem, the same, Kia Poi maybe average but 50km from AMI stadium, Addington, way below average, Halswell above average...... Shirley not way above average some nice areas.

There is just not the money for it- I do not want a team to come here and fail which I think would happen.
Yea, you're right!

Rugby league isn't exactly a money sport in Christchurch.

We did get decent crowds to all the Warriors V Tigers games that were played here though!

But that was probably as it was a one off thing and I dunno if the crowds would keep turning up week in week out!
And besides during the Super 14 and Air New Zealand Cup, where would they play???
We only have one stadium down here!

2big2strong_old

Did any of you see on the Sunday roast about 4 weeks ago, they were discussing the Adelaide Rams? Now Adelaide is an AFL Mecca with almost no knowledge of League, but they are 'sport' enthusiasts and were getting an average of, get this...... 16,000 to every home game they ever had. That's pretty impressive for a non League town.

I'd hope that in 10 years they would've started relocating some Sydney teams. It's far too condensed down there and you can tell by the poor crowds turning up to games. The NRL would get more bums on seats if there were more 1 team City's (doing well) I think relocation is a better option than new teams as the season is already too long and it's a lot more pressure to start from scratch.

I'd Love to see Wellington get a team though. I'd buy that jersey.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Did any of you see on the Sunday roast about 4 weeks ago, they were discussing the Adelaide Rams? Now Adelaide is an AFL Mecca with almost no knowledge of League, but they are 'sport' enthusiasts and were getting an average of, get this...... 16,000 to every home game they ever had. That's pretty impressive for a non League town.

Same with Melbourne is it not?

A big sporting city and get behind there teams!
I mean, just look at the Melbourne Storm! :)

2big2strong_old

Same with Melbourne is it not?

A big sporting city and get behind there teams!
I mean, just look at the Melbourne Storm! :)

Melbourne are the best team in the comp and have been for 3 years now, they have the biggest stars in the game in the 2nd biggest City (nearly the population of NZ) in Australia and they're still only averaging 13,000.

Pretty poor really! C'MON MELBOURNE

Brisbane average 32,000.... massive

kane_old

I would like to see the warriors play a game down in christchurch. As I live in invercargill I obviously don't get to see the boys live that often.

2big2strong_old

Although, and skinny might be able to verify this, I've heard that Olympic Park is the worst stadium in Australia if you're a spectator. The new, Victorian government funded rectangle stadium that should be completed this year some time will attract new and bigger crowds imo.

MelbourneRectagularStdiumdesign.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Rectangular_Stadium

Last edited by a moderator:

Kid-Dynamite_old

I would like to see the warriors play a game down in christchurch. As I live in invercargill I obviously don't get to see the boys live that often.

Yea, I loved it when they used to come down here once a year to play the Tigers!!! It's awesome to watch1 so different to watching it on T.V!

Whatever happened to that, cos they had a thing where they played a game once a year in Wellington as well against the Bulldogs didn't they!

And they played one in Hamilton once against the Eels I think!

blain91_old

they had contracts with the clubs KD, but it seems as though they arent interested anymore, i would love it if the warriors had a home game in welly and chch every year, im sure they would get the same, probably bigger crowds than aucks.

and its the nz warriors :l

Skinny_Ravs82

I'd hope that in 10 years they would've started relocating some Sydney teams. It's far too condensed down there and you can tell by the poor crowds turning up to games. The NRL would get more bums on seats if there were more 1 team City's (doing well) I think relocation is a better option than new teams as the season is already too long and it's a lot more pressure to start from scratch.

I'd Love to see Wellington get a team though. I'd buy that jersey.
Melbourne ring any bells to you there? We ain't that huge on league here despite this team having won two preimierships already. Even people here don't have a clue! And they call this the capital sports city of Australia...right...they get into everything, tennis, afl, soccer but not really league. I've been to all Storm homes games this year bar two (knights and sharks) and the crowds though look great on tv, have as far as my knowledge not been over 14k maybe?! That's just a guess. Raiders game last sunday was about 11k

Skinny_Ravs82

According to wikipedia (lol) it says 18,500 is OP's capacity. Keep in mind there is a much larger stadium being constructed near by to OP; and that new one is set to hold 31,000. I'm not sure but from what I know t he Storm will move to the newer stadium when it's completed either '09 or '10

Northern_Union

But the proposal is for home games to be split between the cake tin and AMI. Also, the last four major league matches down there have averaged around the 20k mark which gives those driving the Orcas hope.

2big2strong_old

According to wikipedia (lol) it says 18,500 is OP's capacity. Keep in mind there is a much larger stadium being constructed near by to OP; and that new one is set to hold 31,000. I'm not sure but from what I know t he Storm will move to the newer stadium when it's completed either '09 or '10

I already posted the information about the future stadium along with a photo earlier in this thread, it will be finished this year, ready to play in next year