General Ethnic Rugby League Competition 2014

I was part of this concept last year and watched it grow this season. The following is growing in the Asian community and IMO it is only going to get bigger. Apart from growing the game in the Asian community, there are a lot of potential sponsors wanting to get financially involved - NZ ethnic residents team is meant to be going on tour to Thailand early next year for a proposed Asian league tournament - financial backers already in place.

We held the prize giving at our club rooms last week and the turnout went really well - spoke to a few of the players I knew (all half caste Maori's or islanders) and they are really behind the competition. A lot of other areas in Auckland where the Asian community live want to start a team for next year - pity Akarana don't see the benefit of promoting it.

Read the article and it's true the Asian boys kept Pukekohe Pythons afloat with players this season - I heard the Black Power cheered them on when the would scored a try LOL If you have played down there , all the BP houses back onto the park, it's funny watching them all come out with the sounds and beer to watch the Saturday games lol after a while the asian boys got used to it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11346678

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
When i first saw this thread title i read it as Racially divided Rugby League Competition.

Glad to see on reading the article there is a bit more to it than that. Defn a feel good article but i personally would be thrilled when they get to a stage where they feel there is no longer a need to segregate themselves away from the rest of the NZ RL fraternity and can accept players of all ethnicities.

I gota say i have never been a fan of the racially divided teams like the NZ Maori. In my mind its always been about are you a kiwi or not.

Do you know why NZRL are resistant to weight based competition?

As the teams establish and progress they should lose their skills based objections. Meaning that there is no reason not to rejoin the general league.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Such a great initiative. Good on Counties for doing something proactive. Its that sort of forward thinking thats largely missing from the NZRL and Auckland Rugby League. Both organisations seem more interested in saving their own asses then promoting the game.

From what Ive heard the competition is going to be bigger and better next season and sponsors are keen to jump on board. Be more ethnicities represented too...
When i first saw this thread title i read it as Racially divided Rugby League Competition.

Glad to see on reading the article there is a bit more to it than that. Defn a feel good article but i personally would be thrilled when they get to a stage where they feel there is no longer a need to segregate themselves away from the rest of the NZ RL fraternity and can accept players of all ethnicities.

I gota say i have never been a fan of the racially divided teams like the NZ Maori. In my mind its always been about are you a kiwi or not.

Do you know why NZRL are resistant to weight based competition?

As the teams establish and progress they should lose their skills based objections. Meaning that there is no reason not to rejoin the general league.
Think your missing the point. 95% of these players would have never played had it not been for this new competition. Also, there are a shitload of comps in the offseason based on racial lines. You have this new one which is pretty much an Asian comp as well as Tongan, Samoan, Cook Island comps. Almost all are village vs village. Its a chance to promote the game and get people back to their roots. You also see former and current players giving back. In the Tongan comp I have seen Epalahame Lauaki and the Lousi brothers play. It was also where Ukuma Ta'ai was signed from...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Such a great initiative. Good on Counties for doing something proactive. Its that sort of forward thinking thats largely missing from the NZRL and Auckland Rugby League. Both organisations seem more interested in saving their own asses then promoting the game.

From what Ive heard the competition is going to be bigger and better next season and sponsors are keen to jump on board. Be more ethnicities represented too...

Think your missing the point. 95% of these players would have never played had it not been for this new competition. Also, there are a shitload of comps in the offseason based on racial lines. You have this new one which is pretty much an Asian comp as well as Tongan, Samoan, Cook Island comps. Almost all are village vs village. Its a chance to promote the game and get people back to their roots. You also see former and current players giving back. In the Tongan comp I have seen Epalahame Lauaki and the Lousi brothers play. It was also where Ukuma Ta'ai was signed from...

nope i didnt miss the point at all. thats why i said "As the teams establish and progress they should lose their skills based objections. Meaning that there is no reason not to rejoin the general league."

Read more: https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/ethnic-rugby-league-competition-2014.39745/#ixzz3GvGGn400

i also never said what they are doing is wrong, i however look forward to when they feel comfortable joining in with mainstream RL rather than playing in a racially divided competition. I would hate to see in 20 years that the ethnic league is massive but still wont play against white boys cause they are the wrong colour.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Are these the guys that played half time 9's at Jr Kiwis & Jr Roos game?
Yes The Wasps (Yellow) won the Ethnic comp this year - I spoke to one of them after the game, they were nervous and honored to be playing at Mt Smart - Home of the NZ Warriors! As you could see there is development to go with them.

A group of Vietnamese boys has already approached us for next season to play in the OAR or Senior A's - Given time I think many Asians could make the transition into a higher level of competition, they have the Heart just need the experience,skill, and size now IMO. From the Pirahnas this year we asked a Vietnamese 2nd row/Centre to trial for the reserves next season for us, I watched him a few times and he has heart,size and a decent tackle technique but no footwork on attack lol.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Read the article and it's true the Asian boys kept Pukekohe Pythons afloat with players this season
That club needs all the help they can get! Worst club in Auckland by a long shot. They basically forfeit most away games unless the opposition lend them players. Most of their players dont like to travel apparently. And depending on whether the Black Power had a mean piss up or not the night before they sometimes dont even show up for their home games lol. Good to see some of these players showing up to play. Still find some good opposition especially if the Navy boats are in dock...