General ESL 2017

upload_2017-7-3_7-10-43.png

upload_2017-7-3_7-11-16.png

upload_2017-7-3_7-11-42.png

Reactions: bruce
https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports...ghts/wcm/8d507887-6f72-4d00-8c65-b885f336efd0

Toronto Wolfpack remain undefeated with 64-22 win over York City Knights

The Canadian Press

July 1, 2017
9:55 PM EDT

TORONTO — Liam Kay scores five tries and Jonny Pownall added two of his own as the Toronto Wolfpack remained undefeated in their inaugural rugby league season with a 64-22 home win over the York City Knights on Saturday.

The Wolfpack improved to 13-0-0, first in the Kingstone Press League 1 standings, after pulling away in the second half in front of a home crowd of 5,212 at Lamport Stadium.

Toronto trailed 12-6 early but led 20-12 at halftime before producing 44 points after the break to squash the fourth-place Knights (8-5).

Bob Beswick, Sean Penkywicz, Jack Bussey, Craig Hall and Quentin Laulu Togaga’e also touched down for the Wolfpack.

Toronto has outscored its opponents 780-131 in 13 games this season. The Wolfpack are the highest-scoring team in the league by a landslide, with the Barrow Raiders next with 454 points — 326 less than Toronto.

The Wolfpack’s next match is at home next Saturday against the Gloucestershire All Golds.

Toronto, a fully professional side, has made short work of its semi-pro opposition in the third tier of English rugby league this season. As rugby’s first transatlantic team, the Wolfpack look to win promotion from the 16-team league.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Toronto would be dead certs to go up wouldn't they? Be interesting to see how the go at the next level

Wakefield v Castleford just kicked off. Local derby. Wakefield off to a flyer inside 10 mins with a length of the field interception try.
Wakefield in good form, will need to be against top of the table Cas though

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Wakey 16-0 up at the half. Cas win 24-25. Cas now 10 points clear at the top having played a game more than the pack.
Been a Cas fan since Tawera Nikau and Ritchie Blackmore and thats probably the last good side they had. Where has this form reversal come from? Daryl Powell? They have had some good talent come through but lost some to better money like Solomona and Clark. Have to say I've been surprised by their form this year...

Been a Cas fan since Tawera Nikau and Ritchie Blackmore and thats probably the last good side they had. Where has this form reversal come from? Daryl Powell? They have had some good talent come through but lost some to better money like Solomona and Clark. Have to say I've been surprised by their form this year...
Luke Gale at half back is getting a lot of credit from the pundits, but for me McShane at hooker is playing really well and Hardaker has been incredible in attacking from full back. Eden on the wing is good finisher as well. Good team effort and Powell is clearly a good coach.

Of the usual suspects, Wigan have had a lot of injuries, Leeds had a terrible start, Warrington are in major decline and St Helens sacked their coach. Interesting season with Cas being followed by Salford and Hull

Saints under their new coach beat Hull 19-12

In other news Rangi Chase has moved yet again, now at second bottom Widnes. I make that club number 4, Cas, Leigh, Salford and Widnes. The lad is clearly a difficult one to manage, I hope someone gets him under control and gets his life on track,

He's going to be an ex RL professional for a long time.

bruce

Contributor
Been a Cas fan since Tawera Nikau and Ritchie Blackmore and thats probably the last good side they had.
Another club with a proud history.
Gary Freeman played for and was quite passionate about Cas. Others were Mark Tookey and Motu Tony from the Warriors, Brendon Tuuta and Gary Mercer from the Kiwis.

My memory also goes back to the Cas exports to Sydney, Malcolm Reilly, Doug Laughton and Steve Norton. They were genuine hard nuts. The brawl between Reilly and Cliff Watson at Brookvale Oval is still a legend.

I get all nostalgic about the history of English rugby league. Young feckers here cannot even remember Carlaw Park FFS. No sense of values at all.:(

Ritchie Blackmore was working at Leigh a few years ago, there was some cock up over his visa iirc so he didn't get employed in the coaching role they wanted him in. By the time the visa came through Leigh had appointed Paul Rowley as coach so Blackmore had some job working with fans and sponsors I think-not really his forte to be honest. Couple of lads I knew through a business acquaintance had a box at Leigh and I went a few times, chatted to Robbie Paul after one of the games.

Another club with a proud history.
Gary Freeman played for and was quite passionate about Cas. Others were Mark Tookey and Motu Tony from the Warriors, Brendon Tuuta and Gary Mercer from the Kiwis.

My memory also goes back to the Cas exports to Sydney, Malcolm Reilly, Doug Laughton and Steve Norton. They were genuine hard nuts. The brawl between Reilly and Cliff Watson at Brookvale Oval is still a legend.

I get all nostalgic about the history of English rugby league. Young feckers here cannot even remember Carlaw Park FFS. No sense of values at all.:(
Nortons sister is married to ex Hull and Cas forward Lee Crooks. Their son, Ben Crooks, is employed by Cas but on loan and playing in ESL at Leigh. Loads of family connections inRL in England