General ESL 2015 Season General News

Marshthedarsh

Anyone else catch the game this morning? Quite a few questionable reffing decisions.

About 20mins in, Patrick Ah Van (he's gotten huge) had a lazy swinging arm on Charnley tackling him from behind. Probably accidental, penalty sufficient said the commentators. I agreed with that - in the NRL it'd be a video ref penalty. I wouldn't have argued greatly with a yellow though.

Referee decides to give a red card...

Then with 5 mins left Widnes scored to level - and one of the Wigan players kicked a Widnes player, and also Joel Tomkins came charging in out of nowhere to flatten another Widnes player who was just walking by. It took three or so minutes until Wigan were about to kick off for the touch judge to have a word with the referee who game the kicking player a Yellow.

As an NRL watcher, I'd like to see the sin bin used more often - but the way it was used in this game was very confusing.

If Ben Flower was an obvious Red (it was), and here kicking a player was a yellow - then how is an accidental swinging arm a red?

Justice was done though. Widnes were 0-10 down at the send off, and came back to take a draw.

Quote from the commentators: "First game of the season and we're already talking about referees..."

Reactions: 1 user
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

That ref was horrific.... How can someone only get a token yellow card with a minute remaining after kicking another player (wasn't exactly a gentle tap kick either). It took a touchie to run on just as Wigan were about to kick off before anything was done... No penalty given, just a sin bin!

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
About 20mins in, Patrick Ah Van (he's gotten huge) had a lazy swinging arm on Charnley tackling him from behind. Probably accidental, penalty sufficient said the commentators. I agreed with that - in the NRL it'd be a video ref penalty. I wouldn't have argued greatly with a yellow though.
Didnt Charnely get taken off the field?

Watched the game myself and was happy to be watching some league. I like how ESL refs let the game flow but arent affraid to send guys off.

Was surprised to see how low Aaron Heremaia was on the Widnes list. Number 33! Patrick Ah Van in there too and coached by Denis Betts.

Wigan will be gutted by that draw...

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Just finished watching the game, thought the ref was pretty one sided (was going for Wigan too) with a few things not consistent for both sides. Felt Ah Van's send off was a tad harsh, maybe a yellow at worst. Game got scrappy after that ending with that shit in the in goal, wigan will feel they let this one slip.

Fazz

Fazz

Yeah bro, I was just coming on to say that officiating was bad. The only thing more biased in Wigan's favour was one of the commentators. Ah Van being sent off was an absolute joke too. If this were an NRL game, we'd be seeing that ref demoted to NSW Cup imo.

Wigan definitely let this one slip. Any time you only manage a draw when playing 60 odd minutes against 12 men, it's pretty bad. They must have been spending too much time with our squad. That performance was a total Warriors effort.

snake77

snake77

Missed that game as I wasn't expecting Super League to be on Sky. Was checking the Charity Sheild time and channel and saw Super League highlights and noticed this mornings game is replayed before it.

Didn't mind Super League on Maori TV but it usually clashed with the NRL and with two games on Sundays I usually copy them in case I miss them or change my mind on the one I'm watching for what ever reason.

If it is on Sky this year it will be good as we will get more live games.

See SKY losing the rights to the EPL, PGA etc has some benefits as it looks like they will also play more NHL. Well I probably won't watch much but I like to know I could if I wanted to.;)

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Watched a bit of the Catalans vs st helens game, definitely alot scrappier but its refreshing to see refs not afraid to use yellow cards

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

That ref was horrific.... How can someone only get a token yellow card with a minute remaining after kicking another player
My mrs came up with a good idea in that scenario while we were watching it. The next time the teams meet, Wigan have a player sinbinned at the outset for the remaining time from the ten minutes. The same player if possible, the same position if not.

Fazz

Fazz

Gotta say, I'm currently watching Wigan vs Huddersfield, the ref jut came up with an awesome call.

Somebody from Wigan got a Crabtree in a nasty chickenwing tackle. What does the ref do? Immediate yellow card. If the NRL wants to stamp out all this grappling shit, they need to enforce the same rule. Automatic yellow card for a crusher/chickenwing/etc. Coaches will stop their players from doing it quick smart.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Gotta say, I'm currently watching Wigan vs Huddersfield, the ref jut came up with an awesome call.

Somebody from Wigan got a Crabtree in a nasty chickenwing tackle. What does the ref do? Immediate yellow card. If the NRL wants to stamp out all this grappling shit, they need to enforce the same rule. Automatic yellow card for a crusher/chickenwing/etc. Coaches will stop their players from doing it quick smart.
I know some thought that Patty Ah Van was unfairly sent off in the first game but I thought it was 50/50 and love the way the ESL refs dont fuck around with that sort of stuff. NRL the players and coaches run the game. Not the refs. Tony Archer would do well to watch a week of ESL and get his boys fearlessly in charge of the game again...

Fazz

Fazz

I know some thought that Patty Ah Van was unfairly sent off in the first game but I thought it was 50/50 and love the way the ESL refs dont fuck around with that sort of stuff. NRL the players and coaches run the game. Not the refs. Tony Archer would do well to watch a week of ESL and get his boys fearlessly in charge of the game again...

Yeah, it was pretty 50/50, but damn it was good to see a call made! I thought Gareth Hock was lucky to avoid the red card after kneeing somebody twice. On the hole though, really loving the ESL this year. So much more enjoyable than that crap All Stars game.

snake77

snake77

On the hole though, really loving the ESL this year. So much more enjoyable than that crap All Stars game.
Good to see it back on Sky. I used to miss it on Maori TV as it clashed with the NRL.

Didn't catch it too much when it used to be on Sky. But really missed it especially when we recruited a high profile player from that competition but didn't get much games to review him before he arrives.

They need to emphasise a different style of play instead of Aussie coaches bringing across wrestling and making it NRL lite.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Decided to give it a go this year and picked Wigan to support, I like that its a different style to the nrl and reckon it has a bit more niggle and agro to it

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Decided to give it a go this year and picked Wigan to support, I like that its a different style to the nrl and reckon it has a bit more niggle and agro to it
Im backing Catalan Dragons this year but always had a soft spot for the Cas Tigers. Cant wait until Todd Carney plays...

Fazz

Fazz

Im backing Catalan Dragons this year but always had a soft spot for the Cas Tigers. Cant wait until Todd Carney plays...

Same bro. I've always liked Catalans (Via Stacey Jones) and Leeds (Via Webb going there)

I'm rooting for Carney. He's done some stupid shit, but nothing like some of the other players still in the NRL.

It's just nice to watch the ESL where nothing effects the Warriors and the attack is more emphasised.

STEEDEN

STEEDEN

Rugby League: Hohaia makes surprise retirement
lance12_620x310.jpg

Lance Hohaia played 185 times for New Zealand Warriors between 2002 and 2011. Photo / Getty Images
St Helens' New Zealand utility back Lance Hohaia is retiring from rugby league with immediate effect, his Super League club announced overnight.

"St Helens announce that Lance Hohaia has informed us of his retirement from rugby league and will therefore not play for the club again," St Helens said on their website.

"Lance has been a valued and integral member of the squad for the last three and a half years and we thank him for his service.

"We wish him and his family well in their life after rugby league with St Helens. St Helens will make no further comment on this matter."

Hohaia, 32, was knocked out by a pair of punches from Wigan's Ben Flower during last October's Grand Final - the second delivered when he was flat on his back - for which the Welshman received a record six-month ban.

He made 29 appearances for New Zealand and played at full-back in their 2008 World Cup final win over Australia.

Hohaia played 185 times for New Zealand Warriors between 2002 and 2011, when he joined St Helens on a four-year contract.

He made 78 appearances for Saints and played a vital role in their run to the 2014 Grand Final, only to have his participation in the game at Old Trafford ended by Flower's fists after barely two minutes.

His final St Helens appearance was in their 11-8 Super League win at Huddersfield on Easter Monday.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11440847

Reactions: 4 users
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

Reported on the radio news that he'd been getting concussion-like symptoms after every game. Good to see he's got the sense to call it quits on what's been a hell of a career. Frodo's always been one of my favourites.

Reactions: 1 users