Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Watch this absolute joke of a human. Living by the words of his leader - "Whether it's real or not, doesn't really matter."

Also, how can you not know any of the details of a critical piece of legislature you now oppose? These people are light weight.

Last edited:
Bro, you're taking me out of context. It's about the government just saying random figures that sound great but don't put resources to do it.

You go visit a South Auckland school and tell me how doable it is. In the news they interviewed two of the most prestigious principals and they were calling out the ministers numbers.
Are you suggesting that kids in South Auckland are not as bright as kids in Remuera or unable to learn in the classroom as much?

Are you suggesting that kids in South Auckland are not as bright as kids in Remuera or unable to learn in the classroom as much?
Again, taking me out of context when I'm just repeating what a south Auckland principal has said.

1 minute into the video.

The minister then goes on to say things like banning cellphones in schools. Which has nothing to do with getting intermediate leavers above 80% achievement because cellphones in school is a high school problem.

It's ok set high standards but you need to set achievable high standards.

My problem is that the government also they labour government have done nothing to support our kids and schools. Again it's about ground up work like changing low ses areas, making teachers feel valued, give more incentives for teachers wanting to teach in a low ses areas, have leaders that the kids can inspire to not just old long in the tooth ones that don't connect with their culture.

Notice how the media are lenient and forgiving towards Luxon must be the love affair with Tax Cuts...
Man a year ago they would of ganged up on Labour looking for their own pound of flesh and calling on resignations and sack the Govt... Very 2 faced this countries media...
We have some really bizarre rules in NZ about Parliamentary privilege…… it’s wrong for a Minister to give the wrong information say at question time but an MP is protected by privilege if they stood up an accused someone of murder or fraud. Ones seen as “Misleading the House” while the other is protected by “parliamentary privilege” and wouldn’t dream of saying the same thing outside of Parliament.

We have some really bizarre rules in NZ about Parliamentary privilege…… it’s wrong for a Minister to give the wrong information say at question time but an MP is protected by privilege if they stood up an accused someone of murder or fraud. Ones seen as “Misleading the House” while the other is protected by “parliamentary privilege” and wouldn’t dream of saying the same thing outside of Parliament.
Not sure parliamentary privilege gives you the right to lie though. If you’re referring to Rawhiri Waititi, what he referenced under parliamentary privileges was true, was just suppressed.

Not sure parliamentary privilege gives you the right to lie though. If you’re referring to Rawhiri Waititi, what he referenced under parliamentary privileges was true, was just suppressed.
Over the years, Winnie has made accusations in Parliament he would never repeat out of it for fear of being sued for defamation but even he would know not to mention the name of someone with court imposed name suppression.

Meanwhile in the cooker community, a bloke's been arrested for stealing MOH covid data files and Liz Gunn is pretending to be on the run from the cops

She needs to start swapping number plates every few days and get a number of burner phones. This crazy I'm watching out for the police capper would look a lot more realistic then.

She even admitted going to Peters that the data is going to be released. I love how she now goes back to the "I'm a journalist". Journalists can have data released to them like the town gossip and act like it's a public service. I have dealt with sensitive data all of my working life. I've had to recover sensitive data and had people requesting it telling me what the file contains. My response is typically "I can't open the files, I'll give you versions of it and you need to decide what one you want. It could contain something I shouldn't see or about someone I know".

At then end when she's going on about help. Someone should call help for her.

The crazy thing is some people will take this seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if we see videos about the crazy stuff happening in New Zealand like some of the videos on concentration camps in Australia or New Zealand during covid. Usually someone standing next to a fence somewhere not showing very much.

The parliamentary privilege has always driven me nuts. Winston has done it a lot but we have a few ministers over the years who have said something and been pushed on it but won't say it outside of parliament.

It can lead to issues to the person being accused as they don't have all of the options available to defend themselves. The point of parliamentary privilege probably was to protect them from being sued. But I doubt it was intended for the use we often see with accusations or lies.

It all starts at home, unfortunately there is zero effort at any level from many parents. Without that, many children are massively disadvantaged. You can throw as many resources at it as you like in the class setting however if you don’t have the right home environment then many children continue to fall further and further behind.

It all starts at home, unfortunately there is zero effort at any level from many parents. Without that, many children are massively disadvantaged. You can throw as many resources at it as you like in the class setting however if you don’t have the right home environment then many children continue to fall further and further behind.
That is the problem. It is unpalatable to point the finger at parents though. Better to blame colonialism, poverty and anything else rather than useless parenting. The thing is though, parents were way poorer during the depression years and without welfare and often food. What's happened.

That is the problem. It is unpalatable to point the finger at parents though. Better to blame colonialism, poverty and anything else rather than useless parenting. The thing is though, parents were way poorer during the depression years and without welfare and often food. What's happened.
What happens after your done pointing the finger? Where is the support for struggling parents coming from? This issue goes wide.

I'm sure the social deprivation was just as bad if not worse.
NZ (and the world) was just a smaller, less complicated society.

It's actually easier to put your hands in the air & blame the parents than confront the inequities in the society we live in.

We're not ever going to live in a utopia but should have the ability to improve. Probably not with a government who think landlords and automatic weapon nuts need a leg up though.

I thought this thread would go dead after the election.

The left had obviously given up on labour and all that festering anger that wasn’t able to be released with Labour at the helm is coming out with Peters happy to give you all a target!

Pity you all weren’t so critical of Labour and holding them to account and then they may have gone more central and still been in government.

I’m going to hold this govt to account as well and don’t like some of their policies but seriously some of you guys are going to get depressed if you are so worked up over all the policies that were pre-announced and voted in via a democratic election.

I suggest you ease up and pick your battles for your blood pressures sake 🤣

What happens after your done pointing the finger? Where is the support for struggling parents coming from? This issue goes wide.
I think it’s inter generational and will take small changes over many governments to slowly improve.

I think Labour did to much to fast in the progressive space which ended up having the opposite effect. I’m hopeful this government gets the fundamentals and platform right which is currently lacking.

Eg get your kids to school; make sure they are learning the basics; no distractions (cellphones); get parents productive; etc.

But man some of the real poverty issues including when people keep making bad choices are hard to solve… stuff like providing all children lunch at school is a great idea but it’s ambulance at the bottom of the cliff where they need to fix the home life so the parents can provide it. We shouldn’t need to ban smoking because with the current knowledge and cost it should be stopping anyway.

Very complex to fix the complex cases - the quantity of mental health issues, etc has snowballed and overrun the system.

Back