Internationals ENGLAND 2014 Four Nations Campaign

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
those younger brothers just live off Sam's reputation.
Thats hugely unfair. The brothers do live in Sams shadow but what prop this year didnt? Gurgess is just as good as any prop going around. Turgess can rack up the stats just as well as anyone and actually one of the highest outputs per minute in the whole NRL. Id even have Lurgess over any of our props and that includes Ben Matulino...

Thats hugely unfair. The brothers do live in Sams shadow but what prop this year didnt? Gurgess is just as good as any prop going around. Turgess can rack up the stats just as well as anyone and actually one of the highest outputs per minute in the whole NRL. Id even have Lurgess over any of our props and that includes Ben Matulino...

Would they go as good as they have if they weren't in the same club as Sam? I'm not sure bro, they go good as a package but so far during this tournament the young burgs haven't done much in my opinion.

Boyd and Slater aren’t really losses, but they do really miss Gallen in the middle of park, he kills the kiwis whenever we play them. Matt Scott too. Thurston is much better than DCE and Hayne would be much, much better than Walker or Jennings.

Then the poms don’t have Surgess and we don’t have a couple of our better props, the world cup seems to be only time anyone is at full strength.

Yep nah the Ozzys are weakened the most.. Slater, Brett Morris, Boyd, Hayne, Thurston, Scott, Tamou, Myles, Gallen.. would all walk straight into this current team, that's killer fire power

Reactions: Harlz
Chris Hill has been England's best prop I think. England are missing more than just Surgess though, we have at best our 4th choice hooker starting games, we have had Hodgson, Clark, Westerman, Smith and Sarginson at least debut in this competition and other guys like Lomax missing through injury. But of course the Aussies invented not having their perfect first choice 17 in the game.

Reactions: Defence
Yep nah the Ozzys are weakened the most.. Slater, Brett Morris, Boyd, Hayne, Thurston, Scott, Tamou, Myles, Gallen.. would all walk straight into this current team, that's killer fire power

The Aussies have the best backs by some margin unfortunately. As the World Cup Final last year showed, their class on occasion can more than overcome any size disadvantage they may face against us or the Poms

Chris Hill has been England's best prop I think. England are missing more than just Surgess though, we have at best our 4th choice hooker starting games, we have had Hodgson, Clark, Westerman, Smith and Sarginson at least debut in this competition and other guys like Lomax missing through injury. But of course the Aussies invented not having their perfect first choice 17 in the game.

Definitely miss Sam B he's a game winner by himself and probably a couple of grizzled veterans like Roby and Sinfield just to settle the young fellas.. should have thrown Paul Wellens in the mix that bloke can still play

do we count the 2008 world cup final with that one? it was against Aus so I'll take it, but having been at the game, there were some questionable referees calls in the first 40...
Might seem an odd thing to say but......yep Tony Archer helped us along that night ( IIRC it was him ) and it looked an intentional decision to try to revive an ailing sport from a world wide point of view.

At the time I thought of it a bit like a Market correction.....all the cheating that Australia had pulled for the past two decades :

1. Banning Kiwi players for enough games to include tests between Anzacs

2. Selecting NZ players ( we did a bit of that but we got Caroll / Feeny ) they got the lions share of the dual eligeability clause). Not saying they weren't entitled bar Maori Rep Tamou.....just that they created an Origin $$ world where they had the lions share

3. Taking Touring NZ away. No more three test tours. Killed off International league. Most of the young generation think it's ok to care more about a club team than a Nations side. That's fucked ( think All Blacks ).

4. This point is the worst of it. Aussie refs for internationals. How rooted has that been for us.

The last point....about the Refs.....just made the World cup 2008 help the kiwis campaign the exception that proves the Rule.....even Wayne Bennett was bought in to try to help NZ win.....channel nine were talking ' The world game needs NZ to compete' in the lead up....

The ARL are the Mafia of world rugby league and I laugh when people complain about the Indians in cricket....welcome to League world fellahs.

This is where my anger at the Reffs being swapped is coming from....I don't wear tin foil hats.....the only tin foil i recall was good for keeping weed fresh !

Come on England, cheat the script.....Beat NZ by enough points to deprive Aussie on F/A

Come on Samoa......Beat Aussie to seal the deal.

Last edited:
but where is inglis applying downward pressure?

Yeah I think the Inglis grounding it is a bit of BS as well. Inglis is having a swing to push it dead, he's swinging underarm. Blonde Vatuvei on the other hand is clearly making an attempt to ground it.

Don't forget Matt Scott and Nate (quarter) Myles. Both massive losses to that forward pack.

Last edited:
When you read Australians on Facebook saying things like "It wasn't a try because there wasn't ENOUGH downwards pressure for it to be a try", you realise how desperate they are to cling to anything, when there is no justification for that to be deemed a no try.

I am disappointed there is no public outcry from anyone about what a shocking call that one was. There hasn't even been an opinion given by the refs bosses on whether it was a correct call or not.

Time for the world to demand neutral refs. There should be a ref supplied by each 4Nations country, regardless of Australia's opinion of who is capable of reffing the game or not. Clearly, the Aussie refs weren't capable. At the very least, the video refs should be from the 2 countries that are not playing, or their selection from another nation (other than from the countries playing).

In any grass roots Saturday or Sunday game around the world regardless of rules and interpretations you won't find a ref that would have given that a try on its merits at full speed, clearly no try...

But this is where it's gets frustrating, the decision goes upstairs (ratings, covering ass... ) Whatever the reason to opt for the video, means we HAVE to rule on what we see in the slow motion agreed!

And in that slow motion regardless of how minor or strange it may have seen, Ryan Hall had his finger on the ball and the ball was on the ground which means it's a try, no one can argue that fact...

So let's either rule with the ref and ditch the video (I'm not in favor of this as I like the system in principle) or we accept that what is on the video is the ruling and move on, how many times has this happened.. It feels like every week the league world is complaining about poor video ref decisions, why can't we can't find 2 or 3 neutral guys to sit in the video box each week

We've got a major issue in our game if in fact it's bias..

Also sorry for whining, but if downward pressure is the only thing that counts, let's just go ahead and scrub the Jennings try..

Again in full speed on any park anywhere in the world that was a great try, congrats let's move on..
But again we went upstairs and in slow motion he lost control of the ball out of the back with ZERO downward pressure

After wots been done By NZ and Australia in their board voting to change refs

I'm going to cheer on the Poms V Kiwis.

I hate cheats.

Won't accept Bribery , corruption, and jiggery pokery.

Don't want to win anything that wasn't earned.

Must admit I thought it was piss weak of NZ caving in to the Aussies.
The thing is their idea of the best ref is the ref who's interpretations best match their own- how can that be considered a level playing field?

Also, why didn't the Samoans get a say? They're part of this tournament too- it's bs

Reactions: Harlz and Sup42
Whilst i thought it was ok the try could have gone either way but this doesnt excuse the rest of the blatant calls. There was no way aussie were going to lose this one. I hope Samoa smash them into oblivion.

Reactions: ACT Warrior
My hope for next weekend is this either Samoa win next week (even if they get in to the final ahead of us) or there's a score next week between us that means the final is Eng vs NZ.

I'm underwhelmed by the lack of media uproar about this. I'm just hoping to get rid of this 'best man for the job' nonsense. Neutral refs are a must of we're serious about the sport at international level.

Danpatmac

Yeah I think the Inglis grounding it is a bit of BS as well. Inglis is having a swing to push it dead, he's swinging underarm. Blonde Vatuvei on the other hand is clearly making an attempt to ground it.

Don't forget Matt Scott and Nate (quarter) Myles. Both massive losses to that forward pack.

the way i saw it inglis dropped it backwards rather than grounded it and din't have a hand on it on the ground.

The thing is their idea of the best ref is the ref who's interpretations best match their own- how can that be considered a level playing field?

Also, why didn't the Samoans get a say? They're part of this tournament too- it's bs
But hasn't Australia refused to be officiated by any ref except an NRL ref, because no other ref can cope with the speed of the game?

That happened several years back, I think. Samoa are only a part of this 4Nations. It would need to be agreed with NZ, Oz and England only.

The shit kicker is........An Aussie would be a " Neutral ref' in the game versus NZ and England....the sway that Ref has....is whether or not Australia make the final.

There is no Mana is this tournament.

Reactions: Defence