Internationals ENGLAND 2014 Four Nations Campaign

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
England.png
Doesnt look like anyones going to adopt this team so I'll jump in. Actually pretty interested to see how they go with their forward pack. One player Im especially keen on watching is Daryl Clark who is a young 21yo playing for Castleford Tigers. Got some good raps on him and plays a pretty fearless game.

Also be interested to see how our own Sam Tomkins goes with a solid forward pack in front of him. Will he make a linebreak from a kick return? Will his old combos with the Wigan lads produce results for the team?

They will miss Surgess but also be without Mike McIlorum who is easily the best hooker going in England. Wonder what Shaun Lunt has to do to get a call up and why no St Helens players are being used?

Halves is a huge weakness for them, especially the cover. Gareth Widdop goes good but you have Kevin Sinfield retired (didnt like him anyway) and Jack Reed injured. Might see Sam Tomkins at halfback or Matty Smith. Surely theyre not going to put Stefan Ratchford there! Havent watched much of Leeds this year but Zak Hardaker has filled in at the halves before.

England kick off their Four Nations when they face Samoa in Brisbane on October 25. Double Header with Australia playing the Kiwis...

George-Burgess.jpg

ENGLAND NAME 2014 FOUR NATIONS SQUAD
International
October 5, 2014

ENGLAND coach Steve McNamara has named a 24-man squad for the upcoming Four Nations in Australia and New Zealand.

The side will be captained by Wigan forward Sean O’Loughlin who takes over from Leeds veteran Kevin Sinfield who announced his international retirement earlier this year.

The squad includes six NRL based players including George and Tom Burgess, Mike Cooper, Gareth Widdop, Sam Tomkins and James Graham.

England coach, Steve McNamara, said: “We spent a long time selecting this squad and there were some close calls with a lot of competition for places. But ultimately we chose the players who will give us the best chance of winning a major tournament in Australasia for the first time since 1990, when Great Britain defeated New Zealand.

“We have a tremendous challenge in front of us but I know the players have the desire, appetite and quality to do English rugby league proud in this tournament.

“Sean O’Loughlin is a great leader and has been left a positive legacy from Kevin (Sinfield). He is excited and honoured to be captaining the national set-up and will impose his experience and qualities on the rest of the group. In particular, his attention detail and work ethic will inspire the players both on and off the field.”

The England squad for the 2014 Four Nations:

George Burgess – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Joe Burgess – Wigan Warriors
Tom Burgess – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Josh Charnley – Wigan Warriors
Daryl Clark – Castleford Tigers
Mike Cooper – St George Illawarra Dragons
Liam Farrell – Wigan Warriors
Brett Ferres – Huddersfield Giants
James Graham – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Ryan Hall – Leeds Rhinos
Zak Hardaker – Leeds Rhinos
Chris Hill – Warrington Wolves
Josh Hodgson – Hull KR
Sean O’Loughlin (c) – Wigan Warriors
Stefan Ratchford – Warrington Wolves
Dan Sarginson – Wigan Warriors
Michael Shenton – Castleford Tigers
Matty Smith – Wigan Warriors
Joel Tomkins – Wigan Warriors
Sam Tomkins – New Zealand Warriors
Kallum Watkins – Leeds Rhinos
Joe Westerman – Hull FC
Elliott Whitehead – Catalans Dragons
Gareth Widdop – St George Illawarra Dragons

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/england-2014-four-nations-squad/

Jordan G

Quietly hoping they do put Tomkins into the halves. Surely they have to find a place for Hardaker and I'd back Tomkins to adjust easier to a position switch at this level than Hardaker.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Quietly hoping they do put Tomkins into the halves. Surely they have to find a place for Hardaker and I'd back Tomkins to adjust easier to a position switch at this level than Hardaker.
Sam Tomkins will be awesome in the halves but it'll weaken the fullback spot too much. He's by far their best. Hands down. I reckon Smith will partner Widdop...

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Most England fans that post in the internet want to see this tried based entirely on their depth of knowledge about both players.

GazrethW

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 22, 2013
Hardaker has been fantastic at fullback all year and with the extra size and power he has over Tomkins is perhaps a better fit for an international fullback. The only issue is that his ball handling and link play doesn't match up to Tomkins. I would try Sam at 7 and Zak at 1 but McBanana almost certainly won't take the decision to go that route so it will probably be Smith (who has probably been the best 7 in Super Leage this year) partnering Widdop. Clark has had a fantastic season and reminds me of a young James Roby but the issue for him may be that he bas underperformed in all of the most important games for Castleford thks year. He is also usually more of an impact hooker interchanging with another so it will be interesting to see how that turns out. There are some selections who are strange in that it has come a bit early for them with Joel Tomkins only about 6 games back from Union and Sarginson and Joe Burgess (who has all the potential in the world) still rather inexperienced. If Sam Burgess, Roby and Mcilorum were available I could foresee an England win but they will probably fall to the Aussies like usual. Feel good about playing NZ with these squads though.

Last edited:

Leedslion007

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2013
Brisbane

GazrethW

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 22, 2013
In other news Daryl Clark won the Man of Steel award. Hopefully his poor performances in big games were due to being behind a beaten pack and with a quick ptb with England he may still be effective. The squad this time is perhaps a bit of an unknown quantity like that as I think there are 9 uncapped players.

Reactions: Sup42

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
In other news Daryl Clark won the Man of Steel award. Hopefully his poor performances in big games were due to being behind a beaten pack and with a quick ptb with England he may still be effective. The squad this time is perhaps a bit of an unknown quantity like that as I think there are 9 uncapped players.
Hoping he can step in the Four Nations. Heard he re-signed longterm. Was hoping we could have a go at getting him...

GazrethW

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 22, 2013
Hoping he can step in the Four Nations. Heard he re-signed longterm. Was hoping we could have a go at getting him...
Yeah he's going to be at Warrington next year. Apparently they quietly signed him a year or two ago but let him stay with Castleford to develop until Michael Monaghan retired. They also just signed Chris Hill to a longer deal when I thought he may go to the NRL. Next on the list to go may be Wigan's 19 year old winger Joe Burgess who apparently has an offer on the table from the Roosters.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Yeah he's going to be at Warrington next year. Apparently they quietly signed him a year or two ago but let him stay with Castleford to develop until Michael Monaghan retired. They also just signed Chris Hill to a longer deal when I thought he may go to the NRL. Next on the list to go may be Wigan's 19 year old winger Joe Burgess who apparently has an offer on the table from the Roosters.
Not surprised at all to see Burgess targeted by the Roosters.

You probably saw Michael Jennings " The Fastest man in the NRL ( my arse every prick and his dog runs him down including the Warriors half back ) get mowed down by Burgess and Charnely.

Burgess and Charnley looked like they were in second gear they were going that fookn fast they had to slow down for the 'NRL's fastest man

Joe also tore the Warriors C team a new one in the Hanmilton trial , he and the other kid on the wing with an Italian sounding surname look like pro's compared to our Junior Wings.

Reactions: mt.wellington

GazrethW

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 22, 2013
Not surprised at all to see Burgess targeted by the Roosters.

You probably saw Michael Jennings " The Fastest man in the NRL ( my arse every prick and his dog runs him down including the Warriors half back ) get mowed down by Burgess and Charnely.

Burgess and Charnley looked like they were in second gear they were going that fookn fast they had to slow down for the 'NRL's fastest man

Joe also tore the Warriors C team a new one in the Hanmilton trial , he and the other kid on the wing with an Italian sounding surname look like pro's compared to our Junior Wings.
Yeah Wigan have kinda had to rely on Charnley being able to get back in that situation because we knew that the best Tomkins was likely to do at fullback was to slow the attack a little bit to allow for cover. It was a bit of a shame for him that he wasn't really fit for the WCC after surgery and it showed in his weak defence for the first try and Wane dropping him soon after getting back to England. But really Burgess has the potential with both physical and mental talent to be the best winger for England in a long time. Possibly not ready for international rugby as yet though after only one season. Manfredi also has talent but unfortunately for him will have to wait for one of the two to leave or pick up injuries to get his real chance.

Reactions: Sup42

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings