Player Eliesa Katoa

Interesting reading the old comments. The kid has only played 5 games of Nrl and he is owning it! Shit next year we will have Ben Murdoch-Masila that’s a forward pack of.

8. Jamayne Tounua-Brown
9. Egan
10. Blair?
11. Katoa
12. Harris
13. Ben Murdoch-Masila

14.Lawton
15. Ah Mau
16. Afoa
17. Murchie

That’s not bad! Probably a decent half away from being a competitive team!
Burr and unfortunately King will be in reserves.
Have the same pack when all on deck looking forward.

So when we play The Titans i guess we will release
The Krackin.

Sorry,been taking alot of worst daddy jokes for material.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off The Bench
I really dislike the term “potential” when we talk about players. As fans we tend to build our expectations of young players to far higher than we should. It pretty much always ends in us fans being disappointed because they didn’t live up to some crazy high standards we set for them. Johnson won the golden boot and people were still talking about his potential.
I’ve noticed fans aren’t using the term potential for Katoa, simply because he’s already playing at damn near an elite level. That’s crazy for someone so young and inexperienced. He’s the line bending forward the team have needed and us fans have been begging for for years.
It seems crazy to me that the Warriors might arguably have the best second row in the comp this year.

I really dislike the term “potential” when we talk about players. As fans we tend to build our expectations of young players to far higher than we should. It pretty much always ends in us fans being disappointed because they didn’t live up to some crazy high standards we set for them. Johnson won the golden boot and people were still talking about his potential.
I’ve noticed fans aren’t using the term potential for Katoa, simply because he’s already playing at damn near an elite level. That’s crazy for someone so young and inexperienced. He’s the line bending forward the team have needed and us fans have been begging for for years.
It seems crazy to me that the Warriors might arguably have the best second row in the comp this year.
Yeah he is like Kikau but Katoa has a better work rate.

Interesting reading the old comments. The kid has only played 5 games of Nrl and he is owning it! Shit next year we will have Ben Murdoch-Masila that’s a forward pack of.

8. Jamayne Tounua-Brown
9. Egan
10. Blair?
11. Katoa
12. Harris
13. Ben Murdoch-Masila

14.Lawton
15. Ah Mau
16. Afoa
17. Murchie

That’s not bad! Probably a decent half away from being a competitive team!

I think we'll use Ben Murdoch-Masila for impact IMO. Bring him on in the 25th at 13 to up the aggression.

Blair/Murchie/Burr/Tevaga or someone will start at 13. Whoever is signed.

Only seen the last three games. Looks very good. Just got to get passed that second year syndrome mentally unscathed and he will be set.
They are playing him correctly by the looks of things, running him off Nikorima is always a good idea, Nikorima is more direct that Johnson was, so he is getting to show what he has where other forwards next to Johnson showed Zilch as they were given the ball in front of a defensive line that just hangs back and waits for Johnson to stop jogging sideways.
Also Johnson tended to use his Apex back rower as a decoy runner, where Nikorima pairs with Katoa.

Yeah totally, they've already mentioned it on Fox TV over there and he has only played 3 games. The thing with attacking centres is they can pick and choose their times to come in and out of a game. No where to hide in the second row, Katoa has been making 30 tackles and 150 metres a game!

If he keeps this up all season he'd be robbed if he didn't win it.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I remember chatting with a Warriors recruiter at a junior grade Auckland club game and he mentioned this amazing talent from Tamaki College 1st XV that the club were putting all their eggs into signing. He waxed on about the next Sonny Bill, like Ali Lauitiiti blah blah blah and I just rolled my eyes cause I had heard this type of comparison a hundred times before with just about every junior we ever signed. That kids name was Eli Katoa.

His development to date has been nothing short of miraculous. This is a kid who played his first game of league in round 12 just last year and has had to learn everything about the game in that short space of time.

The thing I find most impressive about this kid is he has the top two inches sorted. He's a hard trainer who only wants to get better and better and seems to have his ego in check. So often we see supremely talented youngsters burst onto the scene only to become their own biggest fans and start believing the hype. From everything I have heard and read about him he seems like a hard trainer who is always eager to learn and perfect his craft.

I'm amazed at how young players like him and Papali'i have stamina to burn. Katoa has yet to put a foot wrong and from what I've seen has yet to succumb to the type of clumsy plays that usually follows the setting in of fatigue. It will be interesting to see how he goes with more minutes and it wont be long before he is playing most of the match.

Whats kind of ironic is that his lack of development could have actually made him stand out more as his best attacking asset is his unstructured play. Most junior grade forward players are taught from an early age how to conserve energy out wide, sticking to their zones and have offloads trained out of them with possession being the holy grail but you dont see that with Katoa. He's all over the place in support and defence. He's not scared to offload in traffic. He'll chase ball carriers across more than a third the width of the field. All things that are taught out of players from Jersey Flegg up.

I like this kid. Hope the Warriors dont ruin him but have to give credit where credit is due. Kearney and the team have done a good job with him so far...

I have heard from a very good source that the Warriors are absolutely raving to have locked down Eliesa Katoa.

Apparently, the guy is lighting up pre-season and a marvel to watch, particularly with ball in hand. My source said he belongs in the same category of player as Ali Lauitiiti, SBW, Kikau and Sonny Fai. Eliesa offers something much more dangerous than we currently have in the forwards. O'Sullivan has pulled a special with this kid.

Eliesea is big, athletic and powerful they think he could develop very quickly. Projected NRL player by 2020. Don't be surprised to see him named in one of the trial games off the bench.

Watch this kid, you heard it here on this forum first, he is going to be a special Warrior.

Good call man.