• Libertarianz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Citizen Party

• New Zealand First

• Total voters

Viking_old

It's suprising how strong Labour are in Christchurch, currently winning 4 of the 5 seats and the special votes should go in their favour. Is that usually the way Christchurch votes?

Kat_old

I only choose to remember good things about Winnie lol...Free doctors for every kid under 6 and I think and the gold card for old people

Moz_old

Thankfully he'll be in opposition and hopefully ineffective. I hate them way he's only in it for him - just like last time!

"I don't want baubles of office"

Next minute......Foreign Minister and jet setting around the office!

Too smarmy and misleading IMO.

How do you know Winstons lying?

He opens his mouth!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Name a politician who doesnt lie, omit truth, comprimise his principles ...

Jesbass_old

They all lie. Every single one of them. NZ First will remain in the opposition benches and will vote on an issue by issue basis. Hell of a lot more honest than the supply and confidence agreements which basically means the minor parties will roll over on pretty everything to pick up the crumbs from the major party.

I know that's the perception, but I doubt it's reality. It's too heavy a burden of truth to bear, in my opinion.

Jesbass_old

It's suprising how strong Labour are in Christchurch, currently winning 4 of the 5 seats and the special votes should go in their favour. Is that usually the way Christchurch votes?

Christchurch is (apparently) a traditional Labour stronghold, so the fact that it's so close is more about how well National have done rather than the opposite.

Jesbass_old

Holy cow - Christchurch Central is a dead heat! I tought Labour were ahead by 12 votes! Special votes will decide it. Phenomenal!

Viking_old

Christchurch is (apparently) a traditional Labour stronghold, so the fact that it's so close is more about how well National have done rather than the opposite.

That's why I asked. I assumed it would be pro National.

It seems Labour is only ever popular in the 4 main centres where they've lost a lot of ground and now the West Coast, maybe due to Pike River?

Kav_old

Conservatives went well considering lack of nation-wide publicity. Weakness of MMP that parties with less votes get MP's (Act,United Future, Maori parties) while Greens and Winston Party get their share of MPs due to their achieving 5% threshold. I hope that the revamped sytsem adopts a threshold that encourages rather than discourages a vote for a minor party.

Northern_Union

Conservatives went well considering lack of nation-wide publicity. Weakness of MMP that parties with less votes get MP's (Act,United Future, Maori parties) while Greens and Winston Party get their share of MPs due to their achieving 5% threshold. I hope that the revamped sytsem adopts a threshold that encourages rather than discourages a vote for a minor party.

The Conservatives have done really well when you look at where they have come from with so little publicity.
In the last election NZ First achieved 4.8% of the vote which out stripped United Future, ACT and the Maori party by some way but missed out completely due to holding no seat and being 0.2% short of the 5% threashold so it works for and against minor parties.

Jesbass_old

That's why I asked. I assumed it would be pro National.

It seems Labour is only ever popular in the 4 main centres where they've lost a lot of ground and now the West Coast, maybe due to Pike River?

I'm not sure of the reason for the West Coast situation, but apparently Labour normally win all 5 seats in Christchurch, and National have won 4, with Christchurch Central of course tied.

I expect Labour to win that one though, as special votes are (I think) for people in rest homes and so on who can't get to polling booths, and older folk tend to vote the same way every election.

Jesbass_old

The Conservatives have done really well when you look at where they have come from with so little publicity.
In the last election NZ First achieved 4.8% of the vote which out stripped United Future, ACT and the Maori party by some way but missed out completely due to holding no seat and being 0.2% short of the 5% threashold so it works for and against minor parties.

Yeah, that's why I voted for a change from MMP, but hopefully the reviewed MMP provides a more accurate reflection of the voting public.

But I was stumped that the majority of people who didn't want MMP wanted FPP. So I'd rather keep MMP than have FPP.

Kav_old

West Coast has tradionally favoured Labour (goes back to the miner' agitation of the 1920's led by Paddy Webb and Robert Semple). There was a sizeable third generation Irish population which supported the underdog (against the monied ie English class). This tradition like many others has been gradually lost as non-coasters seeking a quieter way of life have infiltrated the region (and coasters have left for economic gain).

Northern_Union

Yeah, that's why I voted for a change from MMP, but hopefully the reviewed MMP provides a more accurate reflection of the voting public.

But I was stumped that the majority of people who didn't want MMP wanted FPP. So I'd rather keep MMP than have FPP.

Yeah both of the referendum results stumped me. I would have thought after the anti smacking law that that may have been the straw that broke the camels back with MMP.....but 30%+ wanting FPP????? Stunned by that really.

Jesbass_old

Yeah both of the referendum results stumped me. I would have thought after the anti smacking law that that may have been the straw that broke the camels back with MMP.....but 30%+ wanting FPP????? Stunned by that really.

Out of curiosity, how did you vote in the referendum, NU?

I went with SM. In theory, I actually like preferential voting, but that relies on the average voter actually thinking and prioritising their votes, and I think that's a few bridges too far!