General Eden Park Gets 3 Games 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

newo

Here we go! It had to come, just hope that they bring out a flexi pass or Mt. Smart membership in 2014

The Warriors are set to play three NRL matches at Eden Park in 2014.

It represents a 300 per cent increase on previous seasons and signals the first step in an impending permanent move to the venue.

No dates or opponents have been finalised, with the NRL draw for 2014 yet to be made, but it is likely that the first match of the season will be played at Eden Park, if the Warriors are scheduled a home game in round o
The Warriors are set to play three NRL matches at Eden Park in 2014.

It represents a 300 per cent increase on previous seasons and signals the first step in an impending permanent move to the venue.

No dates or opponents have been finalised, with the NRL draw for 2014 yet to be made, but it is likely that the first match of the season will be played at Eden Park, if the Warriors are scheduled a home game in round one.

The other two proposed Eden Park matches would be spread across the year. The extra games are unlikely to conflict with the Blues' schedule, as most of the Super 15 games played at the park are on Friday or Saturday nights, while the majority of Warriors matches fall on a Sunday.

There have also been discussions around the two codes combining for a double-header weekend, with the most likely idea seeing the Blues host the Reds, before the Warriors take on the Broncos or Cowboys the following day.

The Warriors are unlikely to open their campaign at Mt Smart next year, with Bruce Springsteen playing there on March 1, just a week before the expected NRL kickoff.

Though much of the league community has major misgivings over Eden Park, it has provided a commercial bonanza for the Warriors.

Their first game there in 2011, against Parramatta, drew a crowd of 38,412, which was almost double the highest attendance at Mt Smart that season. The next season again kicked off at Eden Park, this time in bright sunshine on a Sunday afternoon. New Warriors owner Owen Glenn was paraded before the 37,502 crowd before the match, which saw Brian McClennan take charge of the team for the first time in a much-hyped rematch of the 2011 grand final against Manly.

The marketing team hit the jackpot again this season, with Roosters and Sonny Bill Williams drawing 32,740 fans. Next year will be a litmus test, to see if the Warriors can draw large crowds to Eden Park on multiple occasions.

Perhaps matters on the field are of greater concern, as each NRL match at Eden Park has followed a similar pattern. The Warriors have made a nervous start, fallen behind, with the revival coming too late. Players reject talk of a hoodoo or a hex, saying that Eden Park is "just another ground", but the team has never looked comfortable there. It's partly because they simply don't spend much time there; they never get used to the feel of the ground and its quirky visual angles.

Three matches next season will offer a chance to acclimatise and break their losing streak at the ground. The Auckland League Nines, set down for the February 16 and 17 next year, may also provide a boost with the team spending the best part of two days at the venue.
ne.

The other two proposed Eden Park matches would be spread across the year. The extra games are unlikely to conflict with the Blues' schedule, as most of the Super 15 games played at the park are on Friday or Saturday nights, while the majority of Warriors matches fall on a Sunday.

There have also been discussions around the two codes combining for a double-header weekend, with the most likely idea seeing the Blues host the Reds, before the Warriors take on the Broncos or Cowboys the following day.

The Warriors are unlikely to open their campaign at Mt Smart next year, with Bruce Springsteen playing there on March 1, just a week before the expected NRL kickoff.

Though much of the league community has major misgivings over Eden Park, it has provided a commercial bonanza for the Warriors.

Their first game there in 2011, against Parramatta, drew a crowd of 38,412, which was almost double the highest attendance at Mt Smart that season. The next season again kicked off at Eden Park, this time in bright sunshine on a Sunday afternoon. New Warriors owner Owen Glenn was paraded before the 37,502 crowd before the match, which saw Brian McClennan take charge of the team for the first time in a much-hyped rematch of the 2011 grand final against Manly.

The marketing team hit the jackpot again this season, with Roosters and Sonny Bill Williams drawing 32,740 fans. Next year will be a litmus test, to see if the Warriors can draw large crowds to Eden Park on multiple occasions.

Perhaps matters on the field are of greater concern, as each NRL match at Eden Park has followed a similar pattern. The Warriors have made a nervous start, fallen behind, with the revival coming too late. Players reject talk of a hoodoo or a hex, saying that Eden Park is "just another ground", but the team has never looked comfortable there. It's partly because they simply don't spend much time there; they never get used to the feel of the ground and its quirky visual angles.

Three matches next season will offer a chance to acclimatise and break their losing streak at the ground. The Auckland League Nines, set down for the February 16 and 17 next year, may also provide a boost with the team spending the best part of two days at the venue.

BiggerD

BiggerD

Thats 3 Losses then :(
As we all know, the Warriors have yet to win a game at Eden Park.

Kalcod

I just read that on the online Herald.

There goes my 4 season tickets. As we don't go to the games at Eden Park, my wife and I said that if they play more than the one game a year at Eden Park we will not be renewing our season tickets.

This news of 3 games just means we will become couch Warriors fans. We already have Sky tv so it just means we will be watching at home now.

We have had our tickets for 17 consecutive seasons. I know we will not be the only ones to not renew. I know the Warriors are being forced into this move but I really think they will lose a lot more than they thought. I would love to see the Warriors playing to 40,000 people week in week out, but its not going to happen at Eden Park.

Its interesting to see that the crowds for Warriors games have dropped each game they have played at Eden Park. In the middle of a cold wet winter with the boys playing like they have the last couple of seasons how many people do they expect to see at the games? Realistically I would be very suprised if the Warriors could maintain an average crowd of over 20,000 for the entire season if played at Eden Park.

All the talk of the cafe's and bars in the area will count for little unless we suddenly become the new Melbourne. Its been 18 years now since we joined the comp and we still are nowhere near that kind of level.

Gutted to hear this although we knew it was going to happen.

Wayne will be getting another email on Monday letting him know they have lost our $1000 for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Matulino's Left Shoulder

Matulino's Left Shoulder

fuck that cricket ground

p.s. i'm sure it'll be 3 eden park + 1 wellington + 1 dunedin + 1 "home" game in oz.

the traveling circus road show !

Reactions: 1 user
Hitman82

Hitman82

I'm a TV watcher so don't really GAF, but statistically they may have just cost themselves 6 potential premiership points.

slaughterhouse.sa

I just read that on the online Herald.

There goes my 4 season tickets. As we don't go to the games at Eden Park, my wife and I said that if they play more than the one game a year at Eden Park we will not be renewing our season tickets.

This news of 3 games just means we will become couch Warriors fans. We already have Sky tv so it just means we will be watching at home now.

We have had our tickets for 17 consecutive seasons. I know we will not be the only ones to not renew. I know the Warriors are being forced into this move but I really think they will lose a lot more than they thought. I would love to see the Warriors playing to 40,000 people week in week out, but its not going to happen at Eden Park.

Its interesting to see that the crowds for Warriors games have dropped each game they have played at Eden Park. In the middle of a cold wet winter with the boys playing like they have the last couple of seasons how many people do they expect to see at the games? Realistically I would be very suprised if the Warriors could maintain an average crowd of over 20,000 for the entire season if played at Eden Park.

All the talk of the cafe's and bars in the area will count for little unless we suddenly become the new Melbourne. Its been 18 years now since we joined the comp and we still are nowhere near that kind of level.

Gutted to hear this although we knew it was going to happen.

Wayne will be getting another email on Monday letting him know they have lost our $1000 for next year.

If they moved to eden park, I wouldnt be suprised if the club or NRL gave long term season ticket holders one free year etc
To help them give eden park a shot.

I am dredding a move to Eden Park too - for same reasons as most. Just hard place to get to and its a place that will also be for poncy cricket + rugby

Also for those not wanting to go to eden park - they would be dumb not to offer a flexi or mt smart season ticket.

Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Playing devils advocate here...

For all the current members not renewing tickets, there is likely to be new members attracted due to the home games being closer to a larger population.

Reactions: 2 users
ramraider78

ramraider78

I'm a no to Eden Park, but the fact the NRL may look at bringing big games here and the possibility of an origin match is the only appeal to me.

surfin

surfin

For all the current members not renewing tickets, there is likely to be new members attracted due to the home games being closer to a larger population.
As someone that's 2 hours away from Auckland and still manages to get to games it cracks me up that some Aucklanders think Mt Smart is too far away.

slaughterhouse.sa

A large league following population??

Off course there are going to be new members. . .but will it outnumber the people who giv up their current membership

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler

Yeah because Mt. Eden is a hot bed of Rugby League stalwarts aye?

Should have posted that in the Shit No One Says thread...

Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

A large league following population??

Off course there are going to be new members. . .but will it outnumber the people who giv up their current membership
Who knows... They keep getting 30k+ to the Eden Park games so it can't be all bad!!

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Who knows... They keep getting 30k+ to the Eden Park games so it can't be all bad!!
Be interesting to see for sure. What I really want to see is how many people will go back after a string of losses or a Panthers Round 10 type hiding. If the Warriors and the NRL are smart they will play the Broncos, Bulldogs, Manly or the Storm at Eden Park. They always get the biggest crowds at our home games. No point playing the Cowboys there because they suck...

You are aware what a devils advocate is right??
Devils Advocate = TROLL :p...

Reactions: 3 users

slaughterhouse.sa

Yeah but they arent members are they. People turning up for a one off game.
People who buy those cheap ticket deals on grabone etc

They get 30K for one off games ...because they make it a big one-off occassion.
Note: decreasing numbers.

They probably spend 10x more of on advertising the game and push it all off-season.

I understand the reason for moving, but dont act like it is a positive move for everybody

smc

Well I'm happy.
Mt Smart is a fucking dump in the middle of nowhere. Someone always needs to drive to Mt Smart because it's a cu** of a place to get to on public transport.
Shame Eden Park is a crap ground to watch the footy.

Danco

Danco

I'm a no to Eden Park, but the fact the NRL may look at bringing big games here and the possibility of an origin match is the only appeal to me.

Eden Park with twelve thousand people will look empty as that could be the numbers if the Warriors go on a losing streak.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Eden Park with twelve thousand people will look empty as that could be the numbers if the Warriors go on a losing streak.

That doesn't worry the Blues.

BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

I like going to Mt. Smart but surely, the first game of the season plus Storm and Broncos home games need to go to Eden Park. I don't mind going to Eden Park. I like watching in the South Stand, feel close enough, access is easy, transport easier for me. I will probably be renewing my membership plus getting a family pass as opposed to my one membership. There will be changes but I can't see the actual numbers decreasing. Flexi membership will be a perfect way to accommodate the Mt. Smart Fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.