NRL NRL Expansion

Southern Shakers - Michael J Fox
nice.
IMG_8358.gif

Love the colours and logo. Just annoyed they have two separate bids. Would love to see a 2nd NZ team. Warriors are and always have been Auckland! Another team would be great. Although I worry about empty stadiums watching Aus teams play a South Island team. I can't see all warriors supporters in Aus getting behind a 2nd team. Highlanders and Crusaders wouldn't have that many fans in Aus I would have thought.

And if the team sucks they could be looking at 8k home crowds 😬

Personally, I only see one upside of a second NRL team in New Zealand and that's the inevitable change of the Warriors from being "the New Zealand Warriors", which I understand why the change was made from Auckland (get outside Auckland fandom etc etc marketing outreach blah blah) but I've never really warmed to.

I can't quite remember the details, but didn't we cut the NZ off our name a while ago and we're officially just "Warriors"
I found this article where Watson talked about putting NZ back on, but can't see anything else official

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...o-put-new-zealand-back-into-the-warriors-name

I can't quite remember the details, but didn't we cut the NZ off our name a while ago and we're officially just "Warriors"
I found this article where Watson talked about putting NZ back on, but can't see anything else official

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...o-put-new-zealand-back-into-the-warriors-name
From Website

The New Zealand Warriors honour the mana of the Indigenous peoples of Aotearoa, Australia and the Pacific. We acknowledge the traditional kaitiaki of the lands, elders past and present, their stories, their traditions, their mamae and their mana motuhake.

& with our sponsors

ONE NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS

Moffet & a team of kea - cheeky, thieving little buggers - expect to return to your car after a game & find most of the parts missing.
Can't wait 🤔

I love all of it except for the lack of black and red in the playing kit. I think Cantabrians would want their colours.

It is good to have some details on another NZ bid instead of hearing one is out there.

The concept of getting the supporters part ownership is interesting. The Sunshine Coast bid was talking about that. I know the Green Bay Packers have a model like that. I'm not sure how well it would go in this part of the world. I know the NRL grants pay for a lot of the expenses for the clubs but running an NRL club is still an expensive business. You need all of the development pathways if you want to be competitive. That is even hard based in NZ and having to pay for travel if you want to compete in the Australian lower grades.

If there are two bids there may be some talk to see if they have any common ground and can come together. There was talk of some of the Queensland sides doing that before the Dolphins getting approved.

It is good that there are details out there.

Get set for the cries to have a team based in Ch Ch, Wgtn or Hamilton .
Don’t let it happen , it won’t work.
I hear there are two consortiums angling for a team in ChCh in 2026. They have or will be having talks with Velandis. Pity they can't join forces to make a united approach.
If successful they would play out of a new stadium holding 26,000 spectators. They want to stop Aussie clubs taking the best of our young talent.

I love all of it except for the lack of black and red in the playing kit. I think Cantabrians would want their colours.
They’re marketing it as ‘South Island’ rather than Canterbury, quickest way to alienate the rest of the South Island is to be too Canterbury centric.
Comparison I can think of is the Broncos coming in with Queenslands colours rather than Brisbanes (blue and gold) to try and be Queenslands team rather than just Brisbanes.
Likewise Raiders and Storm went with unique colours vs the regional colours