Post Match Storm v Warriors - [Round 2, 2024]

Rate the game?

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F#[&!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Something I've kept an eye on for a while is our record against Roosters, Bunnies, Storm & Panthers. (Generally the accepted 4 best teams).

Since the start of 2016

8 wins
45 losses

2023 - a fabulous season...
- 0 wins
- 6 losses

Mental block? Don't know but the record is nothing short of atrocious

I’m on holiday, someone give me a run down of the game, player ratings, etc.

All I know from the past 16 pages is the Storm won with a last minute try which everyone except Defence Defence thinks was legitimate!

Plus Taupiki went well and Montoya bombed a try.

We have 7 weeks of completely winnable games coming up. I can sense a statement win is on the cards in Christchurch in front of a massive crowd to kickstart our season.

It’s scary to think what this team will achieve if we can get back to being an 80 minute team that we got glimpses of last season. If we can replicate what we did in the second half offensively against the storm, we will blow some teams off the park before they can even respond. Not all teams are built like the storm.

I was super proud of Taupiki, Ford and Metcalf. They cop the most shit in our team but they all came up with big individual plays to get us back into the game. Special mentions also to Bunty who provided an instant spark of the bench completely dominating. RTS who was displaying vintage 2018 Dally M form. And Rocco who has all but locked down his centre position.

I was in absolute pain last night like most but I’m optimistic after sleeping on it that where on the up.

Last edited:
Okay, my take is that "not played at" is when you are passive, like it ricocheting off you in the line. I'm not sure I would call Barnett passive.

But, I have never read the rule book on this so more than willing to be called out as wrong.

I need to watch it again to be certain....but my memory is that Barnett never raised his arms.

The defender Must be allowed to run at the kicker to effect a tackle, because the defender has no idea whether the player in possession is going to kick it or run it. This includes being allowed to run at the kicker to put them off their kick or cut down their decision time, this has nothing to do with playing at the ball, even if the ball ends up hitting them.

Ergo there is no such thing as playing at a kicker merely by running at them.

Playing at the ball requires a limb to strike out at the ball.

Running in fast while the kicker is kicking and having the ball kicked into you is not playing at the ball. This is especially true when a player turns away from the kick to protect their face like
Barnett did, that is a motion that literally says I do not want to be hit by this kick.

We have 7 weeks of completely winnable games coming up. I can sense a statement win is on the cards in Christchurch in front of a massive crowd to kickstart our season.

It’s scary to think what this team will achieve if we can get back to being an 80 minute team that we got glimpses of last season. If we can replicate what we did in the second half offensively against the storm, we will blow some teams off the park before they can even respond. Not all teams are built like the storm.

I was super proud of Taupiki, Ford and Metcalf. They cop the most shit in our team but they all came up with big individual plays to get us back into the game. Special mentions also to Bunty who provided an instant spark of the bench completely dominating. RTS who was displaying vintage 2018 Dally M form. And Rocco who has all but locked down his centre position.

I was in absolute pain last night like most but I’m optimistic after sleeping on it that were on the up.
Agree with all of this mate! Even bunty stood up and took some tough runs!

Raider won't match us if we keep them pinned in thier own half! I just hope the boys play through them rather than trying to hard to blow them off the park.

Just play the long game and they won't match us!

Storm v Warriors - [Round 2, 2024] POST MATCH

View attachment 5984
The official NZWF thread for all post match discussion on this weeks game. Celebrate. Vent. Who were your stand outs? Who needs to be dropped? Man of the match (MOM)?

Discuss...
Keeping in mind we still have 3 vital players out. The team that was fielded last night did a pretty good. Love our Warriors!!!

Hope they work on those line d and defending desperation attacks, the Raiders last year and now this

Any analyst here could you explain how they should have defended the Pap try? Should have blocked it the second time they used it

The Coates one you just get DWZ to glide laterally better
Just well constructed plays involving players with x factor i think. If your sticking to your structure and teams score outside those structures like that so be it, its when your not sticking to those structures youve got problems.

Quite right both those Paps tries were obviously planed, went wide, threw a couple of decoys to hold up the line (to which i thought both times we handled pretty well and were still sliding across) both times targetting our second rowers (Capewell and Ford defending inside our halves). In the end they we're just too slick with some nice hands (especially that 2nd one from Katoa), then if you've got x factor speed like Papenhuyzen does and the timings good.....then they'll break any defence down, dont think we did anything necessarily wrong.

The Coates one i think you need to look at what happened before they spread it (cant remember the play before hand) but Paps got on the outside of Barnett (thats a bad mismatch for us) and it ended up being a 4 on 3 which is why Rocco and Dallin we're holding.....i actually think they did really well there to recover (a few seasons back we wouldve had players jamming in all over the place and getting caught for numbers basically anytime a team spread the ball on us)......we recovered Dallin got to his man......just unfortunate he turned into the fucking olympic high jump champion.

Think we just take our medicine and tip our hat to some good and freakish plays from the opposition there.

Back