General Do You Rate Elijah Taylor?

Do you rate Elijah Taylor?

• Total voters
OMG

OMG

I rate him. But to quantify, I see him as potential captain material whose career may be stunted by the many choices we have in his position. I see him as potentially a better option than Mannering. I think the kid is solid on defence (with a little work he will improve) and has a little spark on attack, but has made some bad choices with the ball. But at least there is a slim chance of the ball moving on with him, when it needs to, rather than dying in the hands of Mannering. His work ethic is second to none from all the reports I have heard (training with Vulcans, U20s, first grade, then staying on for gym work on his own). Last year is a difficult year to base any opinion on. He was desperate to spark something to lift his teammates, but over-played his hand, and misread situations.

As far as hooker goes, I would prefer we didn't use him there (13 would be my choice, or bench), and think that Leuluai (with Godinet at 6 and Tuimavave on the bench) would be our safest option. I like Mara, but haven't seen anything to say he could handle 80 minutes at 9, and would prefer to have someone with real utility value (such as Tuimavave) over an outright hooker backing him up. Though, I guess having Carlos on the bench, we could still move Leuluaia to 9 and put Carlos in at 6, to give Mara that rest, or even slot Taylor in for limited minutes, if we had to.

My only concern with Taylor is that he may go down the Lewis Brown path in my view if he doesn't achieve something special soon. I liked everything about Brown until he started rating himself as an attacking option and was then tested at hooker. His arrogance, selfishness and single-minded game play really destroyed my opinion of him, and I was happy for Ivan to take him off our hands. Putting Taylor at hooker has the potential of doing the same to him. I don't think he has the emotional maturity to do the role justice and could very easily run a very predictable game.

Taylor had a couple of days to prep for Hooker last year, if he goes half decent it would solve a long term problem, I believe he has the talent and drive to excel at the position.

Your love for Godinet and Tuimavave tends to be blind to the fact they are the 2 weakest defensive links we have, I would rather have no tries scored against us and look average on attack, than look flash on attack and leak tries in the same manner as last season. Defence is the first problem to solve for Elliot and playing those 2 just creates more problems.

Reactions: 3 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Taylor had a couple of days to prep for Hooker last year, if he goes half decent it would solve a long term problem, I believe he has the talent and drive to excel at the position.

Your love for Godinet and Tuimavave tends to be blind to the fact they are the 2 weakest defensive links we have, I would rather have no tries scored against us and look average on attack, than look flash on attack and leak tries in the same manner as last season. Defence is the first problem to solve for Elliot and playing those 2 just creates more problems.
The Titans highlight reel from the trial game over there showed Carlos's defensive play and reads to be as fragile as Glass Fisiiahi's. It was woeful TBH...

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Godinet would be playing at 6. He is no worse than Maloney was, and actually made a few half decent from behind tackles in the few outings he had, and the limited Vulcans games I have seen. I rate him no worse than Johnson. I also think that Carlos is still finding his feet. His tackle technique will improve once he has a real home on the field, or becomes our longterm utility. There is no way I would have Carlos as a longterm fullback with the defence he has shown, but in other positions, he won't be last line of defence and will have support, and less pressure to make the tackle.

I am more concerned about the players around them. Our weaknesses in defence were not solely caused by our supposed weak players, but by the rest of the team not supporting properly. If the team gets used to these players in the line and the defensive gameplan is right, I am not worried.

Taylor, though statistically a good tackler, has made some shocking reads in his time. How often does he charge out of the line for the big hit, and miss it totally, or glance of the attacking player. He won't produce the defensive work of Friend, and he will not achieve the work of Luck if he plays at 13.

Last years defensive game was an anomally. No way could another coach produce such an inept defensive line as Bluey's year produced. The players had given up early in the season, and the gameplan was non-existant. I think Bluey's instructions were to go out there and have fun. Anyone who makes a tackle gets a sticker.

brightman

brightman

I definitely rate Elijah Taylor and he has the skills and work ethic to become our #9. This guy forced his way into selection behind Mannering, Mateo and Luck. At the same time he was consistent and made alot of tackles, smart move when Cleary is your coach.
His time in the 20s was as a ball playing loose forward along side Fai and Matulino and from a union background he played at 2nd 5/8. So the ability is there.

Reactions: 1 user

facefacts

I definitely rate Elijah Taylor and he has the skills and work ethic to become our #9. This guy forced his way into selection behind Mannering, Mateo and Luck. At the same time he was consistent and made alot of tackles, smart move when Cleary is your coach.
His time in the 20s was as a ball playing loose forward along side Fai and Matulino and from a union background he played at 2nd 5/8. So the ability is there.

Yeah he's always been an attacking player, except last year when he was asked to change his game almost completely and step into Michael Luck's role, which he ended doing so effectively a lot of people with short memories ended up thinking he's just a tackle-bot.

You'd have to think that a player with very good ball skills, very good defense, and the best attitude and motor you could ask for, would make a pretty good hooker.

Reactions: 2 users

warriors4sure

Kept an eye on him since making grade a couple of years ago...shy on the initial contact...good line speed but misses too many first up tackles. Tackle stats are great but the majority of the time hes the second person(shades of brent Todd).
Ive got the impression he has tickets on himself as a ball player but hes not a natural. Matt Elliot said it himself in an article whereby he said the best trainer doesnt translate to a good player during a game. Hes not a natural dummy half,this has been shown out last year and this panthers game. If he stuck to the basics he could go better but this no look passing from dummyhalf doesnt help his cause at all. Benry for me and if taylor wants to go to Penrith let him go. Benry and sebastine have more upside...i forgot who was it that said "trains like tarzan, plays like jane" thats ET !

a.c.e

a.c.e

The guy does the clean up work, dirty work, that dont get much of a mention. Someones gotta do it and hes doing what he does at a NRL level. Hes the support runner you dummy to. The guy you skip pass in the attacking line, the guy that oppositions dont take notice of. Hes all so won a under 20s title as captain, and thats something I feel you cant dismiss. It would be wise to keep him in Warriors colours because I cant see anyone else that will do what he does. You cant ever have too many decoy runners.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I maybe Taylors number 1 fan but Im not stupid or blind enough to keep backing him as our hooker. He may get another run at the next trial but at this point in time Mara is the dominant player for the position. Mara still needs a sub though so all may not be lost for Taylor. And to be fair to Taylor it has only been one game.

IMO he's a tacklebot through and through with a little bit of ball skill. He's Mannering but with an offload. Im backing him to only improve in both the efficacy and potence of his tackling. No one coming through our grades at the moment has his particular tackling skill set. Benry would be the closest but doesnt have half the workrate...

Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
IMO he's a tacklebot through and through with a little bit of ball skill. He's Mannering but with an offload. Im backing him to only improve in both the efficacy and potence of his tackling. No one coming through our grades at the moment has his particular tackling skill set. Benry would be the closest but doesnt have half the workrate...

Do you genuinely think he's as good as Mannering defensively?

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Do you genuinely think he's as good as Mannering defensively?
TBH, no! Not at this stage or probably even when Mannering was the same age. Mannering is something else. He's a solid tackle, effective and has a great defensively tatical mind. He would be one of the most under rated players in the NRL.

Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
He's Mannering but with an offload.

Spence said:
Do you genuinely think he's as good as Mannering defensively?​
TBH, no! Not at this stage or probably even when Mannering was the same age. Mannering is something else. He's a solid tackle, effective and has a great defensively tatical mind. He would be one of the most under rated players in the NRL

I think we can agree that he's a poorman's Mannering - and I don't really see why we need another Mannering type player when we already have Lowrie and Simon himself. Sure our defense sucked last year, but there's no need to overcorrect - the team needs balance.

Sebastian

Sebastian

I don't think Mannering is underated. He's the one constant in the back row. No one ever leaves him out of their team. He's more of a certainty than even Mateo. He plays like a leader, and if people don't mention him he's extremely humble so he can be missed possibly due to lack of charisma. And if there's ever one question mark on him its if he's loud and vocal enough for a captain. Champion player and looks like a good person to boot.

Sup42

Sup42

Yep it's the Captain thing.

More Questions this year if Leiuluai takes over from where Luck left off.

I doubt it , Mannering will be very experienced this season at Captain, we should be sweet.

Taylor is favored along with Henry because they are seen as the next Captains aye.

Templates are what makes our squads predictable year in year out.

Johnson kicker / guaranteed spot for life , Benry / Taylor poster boys for the development success of the club...future Captains......Manu....costs lots and sells tickets.....Ropo...club man and role model...precious player....Martel cost lots good attack.....

Then there is the consistent players who pick themselves

Mannering
Matulino
Friend
Lillyman
Locke

That's about it i recon from my view of the Warriors core, i think most people hope Taylor becomes one of the consistent guys

Reactions: 1 users
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Yep it's the Captain thing.

More Questions this year if Leiuluai takes over from where Luck left off.

I doubt it , Mannering will be very experienced this season at Captain, we should be sweet.

Taylor is favored along with Henry because they are seen as the next Captains aye.

Templates are what makes our squads predictable year in year out.

Johnson kicker / guaranteed spot for life , Benry / Taylor poster boys for the development success of the club...future Captains......Manu....costs lots and sells tickets.....Ropo...club man and role model...precious player....Martel cost lots good attack.....

Then there is the consistent players who pick themselves

Mannering
Matulino
Friend
Lillyman
Locke

That's about it i recon from my view of the Warriors core, i think most people hope Taylor becomes one of the consistent guys

Could be me being a "fanboi", but I would rate Locke well above being a consistent player. While he was playing injured I would rate him as consistent. Last year, he was one of the few shining lights on the field, and he was injured for a large part of it. Fully fit, I rate him as a potential game-breaker. Lets hope he remains fully fit this year. He is as important as a performing Shaun Johnson, in my eyes.

Reactions: 1 users
Sup42

Sup42

Could be me being a "fanboi", but I would rate Locke well above being a consistent player. While he was playing injured I would rate him as consistent. Last year, he was one of the few shining lights on the field, and he was injured for a large part of it. Fully fit, I rate him as a potential game-breaker. Lets hope he remains fully fit this year. He is as important as a performing Shaun Johnson, in my eyes.
He has to be our best player doesn't he ?

Most gifted on my list of consistent players, our only all rounder on attack and defense

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

He is an international, young guy great work ethic, he will only get better, a keepers imo