General Depth Chart 2011

insulinboi_old

You can almost bet your house on
11 Mannering
12 Mateo
13 Luck
Ta'ai will Probably be the bench 2nd rower providing he lays off the KFC so unless Sharky changes position, he might not have much game time.

ToiletDuck_old

And for mine, I'm freakin' happy about it (Luck playing). He is our most unsung hero, week in, week out.

Yeah he cops way too much criticism. Our D suffers when he's not on the park, and while I still believe he is over-involved on attack, our other backrow options hardly offer anything better.

warriors4life_old

Mannering's game has changed too much and now resembles Luck's, both of them shouldn't be starting in the backrow (but they will).

Gundog_old

funny I actually feel better when both Mannering and Luck are on the field, they just don't usually panic on defence, I think it calms the other players too. Plus they make those really tough tackles that most players don't like making coz you know you it will cause you pain.

ryan1_old

I was reading, a while back, an article on NRL.com (which I can't find right now), by the Stats Insider, and they were talking about our win/lose percentages with Manu on/off the field and the Stat Insider was talking to a major Bookmaker about this, and said Bookmaker also mentioned that the presence of Mannering also has a major influence on the odds they set. It's a pity I can't find the article, otherwise I'd link it, obviously.

Iafeta_old

I think Mannering is doing a good job. A lot of good work on the edges in D. I noted when Carney scored that try from hell on the weekend that Mannering was easily the first forward back, if anything you could make a call that he 'over-enthused' in the defensive play, but still, he was back in case he could make a play.

Without Luck, I reckon we'd have been beaten by 10-15 by the Knights the other week. Some of his try savers were classics. I've noted in the games he's also getting a 10 minute break midway through the second half, so this may be helping him also.

I guess if you're not busting the line every set and throwing 47 offloads, you are of little value to some posters. The funny thing is reading some of the euphoria and hope over Steve Rapira, who has a lower work rate and I believe less impact ball in hand.

ToiletDuck_old

The funny thing is reading some of the euphoria and hope over Steve Rapira, who has a lower work rate and I believe less impact ball in hand.

Yeah exactly, I really didn't understand his signing or the amount of praise that came with it. If you took away his kiwi status and the fact that he's Sam's brother you've got a signing that makes absolutely no sense when looking at our team as a whole...he'll spend most of next year in the Vulcans.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Of course Luck will be in the mix, but I stated what team I'd go with, and I wouldn't have Luck there next year starting.

Our backrow will be Mannering, Mateo, Luck, and it will still struggle for impact and people will still scratch their heads wondering why we're not making breaks on the fringes.

As for our defense falling apart without Luck, that's a load as well. He had a fantastic game against the Knights with some great cover and goal line tackles, but he simply doesn't get injured so he doesn't miss enough games to make a genuine evaluation on his worth to the defensive line.

ToiletDuck_old

As for our defense falling apart without Luck, that's a load as well. He had a fantastic game against the Knights with some great cover and goal line tackles, but he simply doesn't get injured so he doesn't miss enough games to make a genuine evaluation on his worth to the defensive line.

Uhmm...that's the biggest load of them all. He hasn't missed enough games to make a genuine evaluation? Do you watch Warriors games via live updates on nrl.com or something?

KeepingTheFaith_old

Uhmm...that's the biggest load of them all. He hasn't missed enough games to make a genuine evaluation? Do you watch Warriors games via live updates on nrl.com or something?

He misses one off games and from week to week there could be a dozen reasons why teams don't front up compared to the week before, especially the Warriors.

When has Luck been out for an extended period? He's one of the most durable players in the game.

ryan1_old

I think Mannering is doing a good job. A lot of good work on the edges in D. I noted when Carney scored that try from hell on the weekend that Mannering was easily the first forward back, if anything you could make a call that he 'over-enthused' in the defensive play, but still, he was back in case he could make a play.

Without Luck, I reckon we'd have been beaten by 10-15 by the Knights the other week. Some of his try savers were classics. I've noted in the games he's also getting a 10 minute break midway through the second half, so this may be helping him also.

I guess if you're not busting the line every set and throwing 47 offloads, you are of little value to some posters. The funny thing is reading some of the euphoria and hope over Steve Rapira, who has a lower work rate and I believe less impact ball in hand.

Although I've recently been singing Luck's praises, I didn't rate Mannering's effort against the Roosters. But with this post, you've got me thinking about that (my non-rating of Mannering). I guess that I have been expecting a bit more of the attacking Simon of times gone by. It's true that his style now resembles Luck's (and he has probably been directed to do so), but perhaps that is not as bad I as I have been thinking it is. With Luck and Mannering putting the hurt on in the D, the attack can be orchestrated by the likes of Sharky, Mateo, Ta'ai, Matulino. Which get's me thinking, perhaps Steve Rapira is an investment in our future for replacing Luck, because that will come around eventually.

Ryno_old

Just added Ropati to the Fullback depth and taken off Mr White, Blair and Matai.

Are we sniffing around anyone else?

Fazz_old

I think the open centre spot will be a three horse race...
Here's the order I see it (most favoured to least)
1. Lewis Brown.
2. Joel Moon
3. Krisnan Inu

Moon simply hasn't done enough with his opportunities when compared to Brown...

Northern_Union

But then Brown isn't a centre. He's an interchange hooker or loose forward come second rower.

DanKokoro_old

But then Brown isn't a centre. He's an interchange hooker or loose forward come second rower.

Brown has absolutely carved up this year in the centres and imo his two best games this year have been played there. He possesses all the necessary skills to be a good centre- He's fast enough, he breaks tackles, he's a good one on one tackler, and he's got a good pass. I don't see any reason to not include him in the depth department for centres come next year.

I'd go one further and say that in the hypothetical world where J-ro is playing fullback for the rest of the season, i'd like to see Brown be our starting centre.

Spence_old

I'd say he was much more a centre than an interchange hooker, he has only played, what, one game in that position. Compare that too his 5-6 at centre.

DanKokoro_old

He misses one off games and from week to week there could be a dozen reasons why teams don't front up compared to the week before, especially the Warriors.

When has Luck been out for an extended period? He's one of the most durable players in the game.

He doesn't often miss games you're right, but when he's not playing we struggle. He's missed 3 games this year. We got a pasting in two of them (vs tigers and the first time we played the panthers), the other we narrowly won against an average bulldogs side.

Northern_Union

Both Dans and Spences comments have merrit. Having said that though he only seems to get picked at centre when injuries see him pushed into the roll.

sebastian_old

I prefer Brown in the 2nd row as he has more freedom than being stuck in the centre's. Brown has been terrific but so has Moon, his defense against Jennings in the Panthers game was SOO quality. He can score a try too. If Tate goes down, I'd prefer Moon in the centre's.