Internationals David Kidwell Named Kiwis Coach

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Just thought Id try steer the Kidwell conversation here...

Shaun Johnson thinks David Kidwell is the man for the job
By Michael Burgess at Anfield
8:30 AM Monday Nov 21, 2016
GA4R9290_620x310.jpg

Is David Kidwell the right man to coach the Kiwis? Playmaker Shaun Johnson is in no doubt. Photo / Photosport

Kiwis halfback Shaun Johnson is backing his coach David Kidwell as the right man for the job, despite the comprehensive 34-8 defeat in the Four Nations final this morning.

It was not just the result but the manner of the performance that stung, as the Kiwis put together one of the worst 40 minutes in their history.

They trailed 24-0 at halftime after a chaotic first half, where their defence was constantly torn apart and the ball handling was simply awful.

Such a performance indicates issues with the preparation and focus of the team, which falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach Kidwell and his staff.

But Johnson emphasized that the Kidwell has the backing of the playing group.

"Yeah we do [have faith in him]," said Johnson. "It's hard because your coach delivers you the game plans and tells you the things we need to focus on. As players we then went out there and delivered pretty much the complete opposite. As a team I thought we all prepared very well, [we were] very focused for the game"

When asked if Kidwell should remain in the role, Johnson simply said "I think he should."
Kidwell has been on a steeping learning curve but will have some hard questions to answer in the review, centred around the performance at Anfield on Monday.

"We made too many errors and we played a very hot Australian side today," said Johnson. "Today they were in another class, they were very clinical today. When you are giving away the ball like we were...the errors - they killed us."

As Johnson stood in the bowels of Anfield, the disappointment was palpable. Halfway through his post-match interview the Kangaroos started with yet another raucous team song, which was clearly audible as Johnson answered the questions.

Johnson had talked before the match of achieving something, of having something to hold onto after a poor Warriors season, but instead the Kiwis have to comprehend another significant anti-climax.

"We need to let this sink in and remember this feeling," said Johnson. "You come all this way for a purpose and to achieve something as a group and when you don't do it for whatever reason you are feeling disappointed and very hurt."

Autex - Proud sponsors of New Zealand rugby league since 1981

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11751971

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Kidwell won't face sack but assistants may be in the gun
7:44 AM Tuesday Nov 22, 2016
kidwell_620x310.jpg

Kiwis coach David Kidwell.

Under-fire Kiwis coach David Kidwell's position is safe, says New Zealand Rugby League boss Alex Hayton, but his assistant coaches could face the axe pending a review of the side's failed Four Nations campaign in Britain.

Since Kidwell took over the reins from former coach Stephen Kearney just over two months ago, the Kiwis have suffered a dramatic slide in form, losing three tests to Australia and drawing with Scotland. A first-up one-point win over England was the only positive result to come out of the six-week Four Nations campaign.

In the wake of yesterday's embarrassing 34-8 loss to the Kangaroos in the tournament final at Anfield, Hayton confirmed Kidwell will remain in charge of the Kiwis until the end of next season.

"David's secured through until the end of the World Cup," Hayton told Radio Sport's D'Arcy Waldegrave.

"We'll sit down and do a debrief when they get back, with David, and out of that take the lessons and move forward towards the World Cup at the end of next year.

"This has been a big learning curve for David in the role and the team as they progress towards the World Cup."

The future of Kidwell's two assistant coaches, former New Zealand international Willie Poching and former Warriors defensive coach Justin Morgan, remain less certain.

The pair were contracted only for the transtasman test against Australia in Perth in October and the Four Nations.

"We're all disappointed with, I guess, the performance [in the final yesterday], but we'll go through a proper process.

"I don't think it's slash and burn straight away," he said.

Hayton's assurances follows calls from former Kiwis captain Richie Barnett for an urgent and wide-ranging review after what he described as the worst performance from a New Zealand side in a Four Nations campaign.

Barnett was critical of the direction the Kiwis had taken during rookie coach Kidwell's tenure and questioned the wisdom of appointing two inexperienced assistant coaches alongside him.

"This is quite staggering, the direction that we're heading in," Barnett said. "Unfortunately, this is probably, I've got to say, the worst performance from a Kiwis side in a Four Nations series.

"We needed some real experience around David Kidwell and I think we just let him down considerably," he said.

"When you look at our support staff in Poching and Morgan from the Warriors, I don't think that would get you excited and they needed a bit more than having those two blokes.

"We just need to really start thinking about what the World Cup will look like next year because we just can't go backwards like this," Barnett said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11752573

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Rugby League: The verdict on David Kidwell
By Michael Burgess in Liverpool
11:34 AM Tuesday Nov 22, 2016
160916DavidKidwell_08_620x310.jpg

Kiwis coach David Kidwell needs someone beside him - like an Ivan Cleary - with experience, knowledge and an analytical mind. Photosport

If David Kidwell is to continue as Kiwis coach, he'll need some help.

The New Zealand Rugby League won't consider a change at the top, as it's too close to the 2017 World Cup. And it would be harsh to judge Kidwell on one campaign, especially as Stephen Kearney's sudden departure meant preparations for this tournament were compromised.

But the last five weeks has illustrated the massive jump from being an NRL assistant to the main man at test level, and Kidwell has struggled.

He needs someone beside him - like an Ivan Cleary - with experience, knowledge and an analytical mind. If not, it's difficult to see the Kiwis repeating the success of 2008.

Kidwell couldn't get the best out of this group. The players need to take accountability for their performances, but ultimately the buck stops with the coach who creates the environment and is responsible for the preparation.

Kidwell denied after the final that there was anything wrong with the team's preparation, and added that "internally we are very strong". But it feels like there must be something awry, otherwise a performance like Monday's doesn't happen.

Sure, there was a truckload of individual errors in the final, but such mistakes are almost always a symptom of something deeper. Something was missing, which caused New Zealand to lose focus and self-destruct.

At the one open media session last Wednesday the Kiwis trained with intensity, which was a positive sign. But the captain's run on Saturday at Anfield was remarkably short, with the team not making the most of their only time at the stadium. In contrast Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk stayed behind after the Kangaroos' session, reeling off a succession of 40/20's.

Kidwell's attempt at mind games was also awkward. On the day before the final Kidwell insisted he was still working through options, and Jesse Bromwich and Adam Blair also had to go along with the line that they didn't know who was playing No6. But Tohu Harris Harris revealed after the final that he was aware from "pretty early in the week", so something didn't add up.

The Kiwis interchange plan was also hard to understand. It was epitomized by a change made 90 seconds before halftime against Scotland, with Joseph Tapine coming on for a bemused Marty Taupau. They did the same thing in Monday's final, swapping Issac Luke for Lewis Brown in the 39th minute.

There was little rhyme or reason to the bench strategy throughout the tournament, which meant they failed to get the best out of Jason Taumalolo and Taupau.

Selections were also hit and miss. Rolling the dice with four rookies against Scotland was probably too many. Sure, it would have been tough for one or two of them to miss out, but it has happened on previous tours.

The choice of David Fusitua for the final also back fired. Fusitua played well but without Thomas Leuluai, the left edge needed more experience (i.e. Jason Nightingale) not less, beside centre Solomone Kata.

Perhaps Fusitua could have been employed at right centre, where the ongoing faith in Shaun Kenny-Dowall wasn't justified.

Kidwell's demeanour throughout the tournament also changed, from being relatively open and engaging to quite closed in the last two weeks, where the same stock answers were on high rotate.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11752763

Reactions: bruce

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
Nah, just sack him and get Ivan in as head coach. Let him pick Stacey Jones as an assistant.
No No No No No the role is not a full-time role, what Kidwell is going to do for the next 11 months is beyond me. And lets face it if we don't have our best 17 on the field we don't stand a chance in hell regardless of coach on current form.
In saying that if we could get Bellamy, Stuart or even Hasler on a part time basis I'd jump at it.

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
No good sacking someone if a replacement is not lined up.

I'd sack his assistants and get an experienced coach as an assistant.

I think hiring Morgan after the Warriors sacked him was a big mistake......

And Poching I guess was brought in to help with English conditions....

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
No good sacking someone if a replacement is not lined up.

I'd sack his assistants and get an experienced coach as an assistant.

I think hiring Morgan after the Warriors sacked him was a big mistake......

And Poching I guess was brought in to help with English conditions....
Morgan coached in England.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Those were my exact thoughts when I read his comments. Replace Cappy with Kidwell and you have the exact same rhetoric. TBH I wish he would just STFU...
It's really sad that since 2011 we have been hearing this from him a lot about quite a few coaches. Also says a lot as well I suppose.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Just thought Id try steer the Kidwell conversation here...

Shaun Johnson thinks David Kidwell is the man for the job
By Michael Burgess at Anfield
8:30 AM Monday Nov 21, 2016
GA4R9290_620x310.jpg

Is David Kidwell the right man to coach the Kiwis? Playmaker Shaun Johnson is in no doubt. Photo / Photosport

Kiwis halfback Shaun Johnson is backing his coach David Kidwell as the right man for the job, despite the comprehensive 34-8 defeat in the Four Nations final this morning.

It was not just the result but the manner of the performance that stung, as the Kiwis put together one of the worst 40 minutes in their history.

They trailed 24-0 at halftime after a chaotic first half, where their defence was constantly torn apart and the ball handling was simply awful.

Such a performance indicates issues with the preparation and focus of the team, which falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach Kidwell and his staff.

But Johnson emphasized that the Kidwell has the backing of the playing group.

"Yeah we do [have faith in him]," said Johnson. "It's hard because your coach delivers you the game plans and tells you the things we need to focus on. As players we then went out there and delivered pretty much the complete opposite. As a team I thought we all prepared very well, [we were] very focused for the game"

When asked if Kidwell should remain in the role, Johnson simply said "I think he should."
Kidwell has been on a steeping learning curve but will have some hard questions to answer in the review, centred around the performance at Anfield on Monday.

"We made too many errors and we played a very hot Australian side today," said Johnson. "Today they were in another class, they were very clinical today. When you are giving away the ball like we were...the errors - they killed us."

As Johnson stood in the bowels of Anfield, the disappointment was palpable. Halfway through his post-match interview the Kangaroos started with yet another raucous team song, which was clearly audible as Johnson answered the questions.

Johnson had talked before the match of achieving something, of having something to hold onto after a poor Warriors season, but instead the Kiwis have to comprehend another significant anti-climax.

"We need to let this sink in and remember this feeling," said Johnson. "You come all this way for a purpose and to achieve something as a group and when you don't do it for whatever reason you are feeling disappointed and very hurt."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11751971

Always important to know what Shaun Johnson thinks.

not.

• Haha
Reactions: Woofa and zegy

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings