Sports Boxing

I don't reckon his jaw is as bad as the pundits make out. Klitchko had him down but he got up to get a TKO. Ruiz blitzed him but he came straight back to win the rematch. You don't get off the canvas to TKO someone or win an immediate rematch against someone who destroyed you without a decent jaw and a lot of heart. And plenty of fighters with iron jaws stay on the canvas when they're exhausted. Joshua's issue is his muscles IMO, he'd be a lot better with Lewis's build, not fat but not built either. He probably makes a lot less money without the adonis image though.

Fighters builds are interesting, Buster Douglas at the correct weight took out the heavily muscled Tyson and looked comfortable, even Tyson at his best would have been troubled by Buster I believe.

I get what you mean, Anthony Joshua is not a flower, glass jaw is a little lazy on my part to describe his resilience.

He does get caught by counter punchers hey, bit of a gym Bunny Robot in that regard compared to Lewis.

What I do not like about AJ when he is being hit is that his legs seem to go a lot when he gets caught, as you say though, he fights on to the death where others tap out.

I thought it was telling when AJ kept asking his corner what punch got him in trouble vs Ruiz, that to me revealed to me you can get inside his head (he was not expecting Ruiz to trouble him by the look of all the smiling from in that fight till that moment).

You would remember when Lewis was younger and had a body builders physique....that was when he was getting caught and dropped (although factoring in experience vs inexperience - add years of work with Emanuel Steward from 1994 after Oliver McCall took his belt). Mind you McCall was a massive hitter and should have been a name in the division for a long time, horrible what happened to him in the rematch while still in drug withdrawal...crying in the ring.....turning his back on Lewis....having a mental break down on TV.
I digress, the best fighters of all time have reached that peak when their physiques have been natural.

Also Lennox Lewis is one of the most underrated (outside of the UK) all time heavy weights, I believe he would have cleaned out this generation with ease/and he and a young Vlad Klitcho would would have been exciting if Lewis was not aged....I preferred Vitali though of the brothers.

AJ did seem high on his own image for a time, have to be careful leveling that criticism mind, because ego is a weapon in itself in the fight game, the Greatest had the biggest ego persona seen in any sport and has not been topped by anyone....many a sportsman has tried to copy Ali's crazy man self hypnosis I AM THE GREATEST and none have channeled it without looking like an imitation.

When it comes to natural builds, it would be interesting to see if the skinny Ali, the one in the Iconic poster staring down at his opponent, could have done a Ropa dope vs Big George Foreman and absorbed the body shots like the older less svelte Ali version II did (moot point because young Ali would never stand in front of George anyway).

A lot of people make arguments about how Ali was a lesser fighter post the Vietnam human rights abuses by the United States, I think the answer is more nuanced and layered, I think Ali pre and post the lay off showed how an athletes build in boxing is as much about how comfortable a fighter feels in their own skin as it is about having abs and no body fat.

Last edited:
Fighters builds are interesting, Buster Douglas at the correct weight took out the heavily muscled Tyson and looked comfortable, even Tyson at his best would have been troubled by Buster I believe.

I get what you mean, Anthony Joshua is not a flower, glass jaw is a little lazy on my part to describe his resilience.

He does get caught by counter punchers hey, bit of a gym Bunny Robot in that regard compared to Lewis.

What I do not like about AJ when he is being hit is that his legs seem to go a lot when he gets caught, as you say though, he fights on to the death where others tap out.

I thought it was telling when AJ kept asking his corner what punch got him in trouble vs Ruiz, that to me revealed to me you can get inside his head (he was not expecting Ruiz to trouble him by the look of all the smiling from in that fight till that moment).

You would remember when Lewis was younger and had a body builders physique....that was when he was getting caught and dropped (although factoring in experience vs inexperience - add years of work with Emanuel Steward from 1994 after Oliver McCall took his belt). Mind you McCall was a massive hitter and should have been a name in the division for a long time, horrible what happened to him in the rematch while still in drug withdrawal...crying in the ring.....turning his back on Lewis....having a mental break down on TV.
I digress, the best fighters of all time have reached that peak when their physiques have been natural.

Also Lennox Lewis is one of the most underrated (outside of the UK) all time heavy weights, I believe he would have cleaned out this generation with ease/and he and a young Vlad Klitcho would would have been exciting if Lewis was not aged....I preferred Vitali though of the brothers.

AJ did seem high on his own image for a time, have to be careful leveling that criticism mind, because ego is a weapon in itself in the fight game, the Greatest had the biggest ego persona seen in any sport and has not been topped by anyone....many a sportsman has tried to copy Ali's crazy man self hypnosis I AM THE GREATEST and none have channeled it without looking like an imitation.

When it comes to natural builds, it would be interesting to see if the skinny Ali, the one in the Iconic poster staring down at his opponent, could have done a Ropa dope vs Big George Foreman and absorbed the body shots like the older less svelte Ali version II did (moot point because young Ali would never stand in front of George anyway).

A lot of people make arguments about how Ali was a lesser fighter post the Vietnam human rights abuses by the United States, I think the answer is more nuanced and layered, I think Ali pre and post the lay off showed how an athletes build in boxing is as much about how comfortable a fighter feels in their own skin as it is about having abs and no body fat.
AJ doesn't have an iron jaw and the image stuff is cringey but he's a good boxer in the same way the Klitchkos were, a little robotic but good fundamentals. AJ has some bad habits though, he gets himself in trouble from counterpunches from rushing in after landing his own power punches. It's because he doesn't fully believe that he's better than some of his stronger opponents. Knocking Ruiz down in the first fight was the worst thing that could've happened to him as he lost composure and chased the KO then walked into Ruiz's best shots. If he'd been patient and continued landing power punches at range, he probably would've got Ruiz out of there. I don't know that he's improved that aspect of his game.

Lewis was a great fighter but could fight down to the level of his opposition at times, especially mandatories. He's a good man, when he first faced Rahman in South Africa, they were both scheduled to meet Nelson Mandela post fight. After getting knocked out, Lewis met with Mandela the next day anyway while Rahman skipped the opportunity of a lifetime to rush back to Baltimore for a tickertape parade. I've never wished for a fighter to get destroyed in a rematch more than Rahman and Lewis obliged. He dialled in for that fight, keeping the media engagements to a minimum and training behind closed doors. You could see in eyes that he was going to make Rahman pay and sure enough, he knocked Rahman out a round quicker than he'd been stopped in the previous fight. A disinterested Lewis was beatable, a determined Lewis beats anyone. Tua got the determined version unfortunately.

That's the best shape Tyson Fury has ever been in for his now delayed bout with Usyk:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C25a56Us4Qp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I don't like it when professionals talk about missing xmas etc.

How much is he getting paid to "miss Christmas".

All of us would say yes to.... $50,000 bonus but you have to work through Xmas/NY in another country.

On the boxing front. Of course he needed to get into shape. Francis gave him a whooping and Usyk is a much better fighter.

I don't like it when professionals talk about missing xmas etc.

How much is he getting paid to "miss Christmas".

All of us would say yes to.... $50,000 bonus but you have to work through Xmas/NY in another country.

On the boxing front. Of course he needed to get into shape. Francis gave him a whooping and Usyk is a much better fighter.
Exactly. It’s not like he was in prison and missed Xmas. It’s just that he didn’t eat too much rubbish and get pissed like the rest of us

Fk I hate rematch clauses. They're such a blight on the sport. If Zhang backs his ability, there's no need for a rematch. If he doesn't beat Parker at age 40, he sure as hell isn't beating Parker at 41. Good money for Parker I guess.

Fury and Wilder held up 3 belts for 3 years fighting each other with tune ups in between, they fought nobody else for over 2 of those years. At least AJ got through his rematches quickly when he had a belt. Parker didn't get one after losing his belt to AJ though.

Last edited:
I couldn't find a stream so just followed blog updates. By the sounds of it he showed a lot of heart getting up from the canvas twice & not getting hit once in the final round!

Reactions: j_p
Screenshot_20240309-131750_Stuff.jpg

I didn't get to watch as I was with the family. Had to keep an eye on the updates.

A good win for him. After getting knocked down twice there is a good case for the rematch. Well a lot better than if Parker made easy work of Zhang.

That is a good win to follow up the Wilder fight. I know Boxing/MMA math doesn't typically work but he beat the guy (Zhang) that easily took care of the guy that KO'd him (Joyce). If Parker can beat Zhang again he is in a stronger case for a rematch to avenge that. He'd hold a lot more of the cards.

After that Day of Reckoning card it is good seeing Parker and Joshua back in the ring again keeping active. Wilder who was making comments about ring rust we are still waiting for him to sort himself out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Parker and Joshua fight again before Wilder.

Damn that was a shot.

Look at the face on Tyson Fury. Damn I couldn't do that to him.

I couldn't find a stream so just followed blog updates. By the sounds of it he showed a lot of heart getting up from the canvas twice & not getting hit once in the final round!
Mods delete if this is against the rules but trying to make it vague and just suggesting a few phrases to Google so hopefully allowed. The most reliable site I've found over the last few years mainly for boxing (and ufc I guess, don't really watch that) goes by a name starting with Stream. Just Google that followed by the cardinal direction pointing to the right on a compass.

Excellent quality too.

I'm on another hip hop forum with mostly Americans and these last 2 wins have put Parker on the map. Comments like he takes any fights that come his way, finally reaching his potential under the new coach etc.
Mainly the wilder fight but this is just cementing his spot as everyone knew how risky this fight was and he agreed to a 1 way rematch clause. Parker always said he'll take any fight in front of him and and he's showing those weren't just throwaway lines

Last edited:
Back