General Dave Smith NRL CEO Thread

kiwi's 13-6

Thanks for scrapping mid season anzac tests a tradition that goes back as far as i can remember to the 1980's and a long time before my time and not even bothering to call business partners in that tradition before hand to let them know it was on the table, also guy never looked comfortable in the role, combined with the fact he got best ever free to air deal but at the same time stuffed up pay tv deal leaves me to say sayonara... happy return to the welsh banking sector buddy!

Reactions: Defence
Thanks for scrapping mid season anzac tests a tradition that goes back as far as i can remember to the 1980's and a long time before my time and not even bothering to call business partners in that tradition before hand to let them know it was on the table, also guy never looked comfortable in the role, combined with the fact he got best ever free to air deal but at the same time stuffed up pay tv deal leaves me to say sayonara... happy return to the welsh banking sector buddy!

Although I agree with most of what you said the ANZAC test started in 1997.

Reactions: matiunz
Personally speaking about Anzac Tests I never got why Australia and New Zealand play against one another in middle of year when both our national holidays are so close together at start of the year. They should make a series out of it, first test on their national holiday on 26 January, the second a week later and third on our own national holiday, Waitangi Day, 6 February. They want to do Anzac Test on Anzac Day that honours both our veterans then they should do one off test featuring recently retired league players like Darren Lockyer. Just putting that out there on off chance future NRL CEO Raelene Castle reads this thread ... ;)

Reactions: Sup42
Our main man big Jim on Dave Smith and his views on his replacement.

Also seen a few articles that some of the clubs are concerned with the head of the ARLC taking on the CEO duties in the interim until a new CEO is appointed. In my working life this is how most businesses operate; someone leaves their higher up takes on the role in the meantime to keep things running as per normal. If they promoted Greenberg in the meantime and then promoted Richardson it would be idiotic; to me it's best to keep those in their current roles and operate business as normal.

Also see in another article Doyle is in a clubs sub-committee where the clubs would look into the CEO situation and Grant taking over in the meantime; if it is within the constitution etc. Good to have the Warriors with some influence; no chance of us getting pushed around by the other CEOs.

We need a league person to take over NRL from Dave Smith says Jim Doyle
Date
October 20, 2015

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

NRL Chief Dave Smith quits
NRL CEO Dave Smith has resigned, saying he is leaving the sport of rugby league "in very good shape". Vision courtesy ABC News.
Dave Smith's former right-hand man, Jim Doyle, has praised the work of the outgoing NRL CEO but believes his successor should have a background in rugby league.

A global search has begun for a new chief executive and the ARLC have appointed Sinium International to facilitate the recruitment process.

1445326342933.jpg

Goodbye: Dave Smith has retired as CEO of the NRL. Photo: Photo Nick Moir

Smith, who was in the job for three years, was a surprise choice to replace David Gallop given he had no experience in rugby league. The former banker has been under pressure after a fallout with some of the most influential club powerbrokers, as well as his handling of the broadcast deal in which he froze Fox Sports out of the process.

Advertisement

Smith will finish up on November 30 and ARLC chairman John Grant will fill the breach until a replacement is found. Some of the contenders are likely to include Warriors boss Doyle, Penrith CEO Warren Wilson, former AFL supremo Andrew Demetriou, NRL head of football Todd Greenberg, former Storm CEO and NRL consultant Mark Evans and NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson.

Doyle, who was Smith's second-in-charge during his tenure at Rugby League Central and also worked with him closely as the CEO of the Warriors, said Smith achieved "a lot of positive things that someone from rugby league might not have been able to achieve." However, Doyle believed the NRL had evolved as a business to the point where the next appointment should be someone with a more intimate knowledge of the game.

"At the end of the day you've got to think about your customers and stakeholders," Doyle said.

"The majority of the stakeholders are your 16 clubs and two states. I've been involved in the game a long, long time and the majority of the stakeholders outside of that are fans and members and people you want to attract into the game. You need to have an understanding of the game to be able to do that."

Doyle described Smith's departure as "disappointing" but understood the stresses of the role made it difficult to retain for more than a short period.

"It's a shame he's decided to go but it's a tough job and you can only last a certain amount of time, it's 24 hours of the day for 365 days a year," he said.

"When you are under that much scrutiny it takes it out of you physically and mentally."

Asked if he was interested in Smith's job, Doyle said: "I've got a challenge over here with the Warriors, so that keeps me busy."

There was a mixed reaction to the news in clubland. Several powerbrokers who had been agitating for his sacking were rejoicing, while others praised Smith for navigating a clearer path through the ASADA minefield than his AFL counterparts.

"He's been very supportive of what we're doing in terms of our business model and he was always empathetic towards the unique dynamics of our club in terms of being in a regional area with the largest geographical footprint in the NRL," said Greg Tonner, the CEO of the premiership-winning Cowboys.

Some privately expressed their disappointment over what they perceived as a widening gulf between the governing body and clubs and were critical of his handling of the broadcast deal, which is only half completed.

"We can't afford to have another captain of industry," one club boss said.

Rumours of Smith's demise have been circulating for months but the man himself has been telling people he is in for the long haul. However, on Tuesday he said he it was time for others to complete the work he had started.

"I've been a change agent for most of my career and the time has come for me to hand over to a new leader to consolidate these gains and I finish with pride in the game's achievements," Smith said.

The NRL was criticised for the length of time it took to find Gallop's replacement, but Grant said recruiters would take as much time as required to find the right person, even if it meant a new boss wasn't in place for the start of next season.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...-jim-doyle-20151020-gkdrxv.html#ixzz3pFb2j5l9
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Reactions: mt.wellington
Doyle and Castle again tipped for top NRL job

Warriors boss Jim Doyle is being touted as a leading candidate to take over as head of the NRL.

Raelene Castle, the former New Zealand netball chief who is in charge at the Canterbury Bulldogs, is also being headlined as a top candidate.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports the NRL is interviewing 10 Australia-based external candidates and has targeted up to six people from within rugby league, as it sets about finding the successor to David Smith.

The SMH claimed that Doyle "has the backing of the clubs as well as experience at Rugby League Central".

Doyle was Smith's chief assistant at the NRL, having previously headed the New Zealand Rugby League. But he has only been in charge of the Warriors for a season and is not even close to turning the club into the powerhouse it should be, or realising his dream of overseeing a league revolution in New Zealand. And Castle - just the second NRL club chief executive - has only been at the Bulldogs since mid-2013.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11576503

All I can say is Piss off Aussie we want him.

Reactions: matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Doyle and Castle again tipped for top NRL job

Warriors boss Jim Doyle is being touted as a leading candidate to take over as head of the NRL.

Raelene Castle, the former New Zealand netball chief who is in charge at the Canterbury Bulldogs, is also being headlined as a top candidate.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports the NRL is interviewing 10 Australia-based external candidates and has targeted up to six people from within rugby league, as it sets about finding the successor to David Smith.

The SMH claimed that Doyle "has the backing of the clubs as well as experience at Rugby League Central".

Doyle was Smith's chief assistant at the NRL, having previously headed the New Zealand Rugby League. But he has only been in charge of the Warriors for a season and is not even close to turning the club into the powerhouse it should be, or realising his dream of overseeing a league revolution in New Zealand. And Castle - just the second NRL club chief executive - has only been at the Bulldogs since mid-2013.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11576503

All I can say is Piss off Aussie we want him.

Did have a laugh at the bolded part, they can't help throwing in a dig where they can haha

Unfinished business at Bulldogs for Kiwi Raelene Castle

1453259699817.jpg

New Zealander Raelene Castle says there is unfinished business for her at the Bulldogs, despite being linked to the vacant job of chief executive of the NRL.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Wednesday that the former CEO of Netball New Zealand is one of the names in the mix to replace Dave Smith in one of the highest profile jobs in Australian sport.

Castle has spent the past three years at the Bulldogs, continuing to keep the club up with the other heavyweights of the NRL, while keeping their finances in order.

Her leadership and astute business skills have led to her being highly regarded in Sydney, but Castle told Stuff.co.nz that she intends to remain at the Bulldogs and helping the club to their first Premiership since 2004.

"I've got unfinished business at the Bulldogs," Castle said.

"So I'm committed to staying and finish the things I've started at the Bulldogs, so that's my focus at the moment."

Warriors CEO Jim Doyle has also been linked to the NRL's top job. He spent two years working as Smith's right hand man as the NRL's chief operating officer and is held in high esteem by the NRL clubs.

But Doyle has repeatedly said that like Castle, he wants to remain with his club.

"I am 100 per cent focused on the Warriors, we have got to get success at the Warriors," Doyle said late last year.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-business-at-bulldogs-for-kiwi-raelene-castle

Reactions: tajhay
Great to see a quote about Doyle wanting to stay at the club. Like Castle he has unfinished business.

If he was younger and still over there I could seem him taking on the CEO's job. He moved back to NZ and said he wanted to be back here close to family. I doubt he'd want to sort out moving overseas again. I'd say they would need to offer a salary that he couldn't turn down and allow him to spend a lot of time over here.

But still the sooner some other names are strongly linked to the job the better. How about the Warren Wilson guy from the Panthers. We are at the start of our 5 year plan while they are near the end of Gould's.:p Surely he can move on.;)

Reactions: STEEDEN
Obama thinks the Senate is hard work and all of the hillbillies blaming the economy on his skin colour.:rolleyes: Just wait until the Sydney media get on his case about Benji Barba and the price of pies and chips at ANZ Stadium or the state of Brookvale.;)

Great to see a quote about Doyle wanting to stay at the club. Like Castle he has unfinished business.

Agree on Castle staying at Canterbury being a good thing!

I think someone mentioned before that Greenberg might be a taker - he's not really put any runs on the board actually, in fact quite the opposite.
https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...to-do-his-job-and-fix-it-20140922-10kak3.html

Ironically he left the Dogs when they were riding high to pursue his dreams of running the NRL.

REALLY hoping they leave JD alone! He's had his stint at Rugby League Headquarters and I heard from an insider that they weren't entirely sure that the COO role was quite the right fit for his considerable abilities. Clearly though the CEO role might be!

Reactions: tajhay

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Why can't NRL find a CEO?
CHRIS BARRETT
Last updated 15:57, February 20 2016
1455936853890.jpg

The big three: Todd Greenberg, John Grant and Jim Doyle.

Why would I want to do that?" says one person who was approached by the Australian Rugby League Commission's headhunters about the vacant chief executive's position.

"I'd have to take a pay cut."

It was a question to which there could have been a few different answers: I'd have to take on the clubs; or, I'd have to be on the back page of the paper every second day; or even, given recent events: I'd have to take the call the next time a player performs a simulated sex act with a dog.

Hyperbole aside, whatever their reasons, there are a string of administrators from V8 Supercars boss James Warburton to Geelong Cats chief Brian Cook, who have been linked with the NRL's top job but want nothing to do with it.

Applicants from the league world were due to be interviewed by ARLC nominations committee members John Grant, Jeremy Sutcliffe, Catherine Harris and Wayne Pearce this week, and a shortlist of four is expected to be determined by the end of next week.

As the search beyond league circles continues one reason given to Fairfax Media for outsiders shunning the opportunity has been a supposedly limited anticipated base salary.

Much has been made about the highly-paid top executives inside League Central such as the now departed chief operating officer Suzanne Young and strategy chief Shane Richardson. In this respect there appears a comparative air of austerity in the corridors at Driver Avenue as the code winds towards appointing a successor to Dave Smith.

Sources say some potential CEO contenders were told the base pay would be in the range of $900,000 to $950,000 or more than $1 million for the "right" person.

That is less than the reported $1.5m Smith was on during his three years in charge but is certainly significantly more than what his predecessor David Gallop collected during his decade running the game. It would serve as a pay rise, and a good one, to anyone involved in the game.

Furthermore, it is not as badly out of kilter with the market, at least on the surface. According to the AFL's annual report of last year its chief executive Gill McLachlan's salary is on a base $1.3m. Australian Rugby Union chief Bill Pulver is on $735,885, according to the ARU's 2015 annual report. Cricket Australia's long-time CEO James Sutherland, meanwhile, is said to be on somewhere in the vicinity of $1.5m plus bonuses. It is that extra earning capacity that catapulted the previous AFL chief Andrew Demetriou's package to $3.8m in 2013. Of that lofty income, $2.33m was in bonuses and that is where McLachlan is ahead of the pack (although for perspective not as far ahead as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who it was revealed this week collected $US34m in 2014).

How a bonus structure would be put together for whoever the new NRL CEO is remains unclear but with the next broadcast deal already done there is no potential reward for locking those rivers of gold away.

A game which has a salary cap at its competitive core will not have one for its top job, though, insists ARLC chairman and interim CEO Grant, although it is a statement made with a slight caveat.

"We will pay the right salary for the right person," Grant told Fairfax Media. "But that needs to recognise our obligation to return as much revenue as possible back to the game.

"You have to remember that this is a complex and demanding job … there is no other job like it.

"People who have the capability to meet the demands of this role don't grow on trees. But we have had no pushback from candidates in terms of remuneration."

That may well be the case but there is no doubt the package that has been floated has been a deterrent for a certain level of external would-be CEOs approached during the search run by recruitment company Crown & Marks, as has the reputation of Grant as a micro-manager.

However, if the result is, as most with skin in the game are tipping, that a league official will land the job, then for once the clubland and head office will be in alignment.

Another interloper promises to create only more friction than there was during Smith's time, which is why there have been separate pushes among the clubs for Todd Greenberg and Jim Doyle.

Michael Brown, the NRL head of commercial and the CEO of next year's World Cup, is about as well credentialled a candidate as there is at League Central owing to his record in the AFL, football and cricket, but he is already charged with the next big-ticket item for the administration - growing non-broadcast revenue. Meanwhile, Warren Wilson, who resigned as Penrith group chief on Thursday, was told this week he would not be involved in the interview process.

With the game entering into a period of consolidation following the $1.9bn rights deal a steady and street-smart hand with a firm footing in the code is what clubs are plumping for.

"The game doesn't need an innovator right now, it just needs a stable figure and someone who can relate well with the clubs," one senior club figure said.

"The biggest problem with the NRL is they don't talk to the clubs."

Another said of Doyle, the former NRL COO to Smith and now the New Zealand Warriors chief: "He knows the commissioners, he knows the clubs. We trust him. He can bring us all back under the same tent."

If Greenberg, already inside the big tent, would be a bookmaker's favourite then Doyle would be the danger. A self-made multi-millionaire it is said that he did not always see eye to eye with Smith during his time at NRL headquarters before quitting for Auckland in 2014.

Doyle is also regarded as the kind of strong character who, with knowledge of Grant's shortcomings, would not be afraid to push back at a hands-on chairman.

Comfortably re-settled across the ditch the question the New Zealander would have to ask himself in the event he was offered the post is if he needs the drama.

An often thankless job, as Smith discovered almost from day one, it is not one where you can escape the blowtorch of public scrutiny for days at a time let alone weeks and months as is the case for someone like Sutherland, who has run cricket for nearly 15 years.

It brings to mind one of Gallop's parting remarks on his final day as CEO in 2012.

"The next person to last 10 years, I'll be the first person to take them to lunch."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/77101128/why-cant-nrl-find-a-ceo

• Haha
Reactions: zegy

bruce

Contributor
Another said of Doyle, the former NRL COO to Smith and now the New Zealand Warriors chief: "He knows the commissioners, he knows the clubs. We trust him. He can bring us all back under the same tent."

If Greenberg, already inside the big tent, would be a bookmaker's favourite then Doyle would be the danger. A self-made multi-millionaire it is said that he did not always see eye to eye with Smith during his time at NRL headquarters before quitting for Auckland in 2014.

Doyle is also regarded as the kind of strong character who, with knowledge of Grant's shortcomings, would not be afraid to push back at a hands-on chairman.

Comfortably re-settled across the ditch the question the New Zealander would have to ask himself in the event he was offered the post is if he needs the drama.
JD has plenty of drama here.

Reactions: mt.wellington