General Could the Warriors lose first game ?

STRIDER_old

Looking at this starting line up, Is it a possibilty that the Warriors could be knocked over by the Auckland Lions ? or is there to many young guns in there for the Warriors ?

New signings Michael Witt, Michael Crockett and Corey Lawrie will wear the Vodafone Warriors’ jersey for the first time in Sunday’s NRL Community Day trial against the Auckland Lions at Mount Smart Stadium.
While ex-Parramatta and Manly standoff Witt and former Wests Tigers winger Crockett have NRL experience, Lawrie and the seven players named on the bench are yet to make their first-grade debuts.
Witt (23) has been partnered in the halves with Grant Rovelli, who played in each of the Vodafone Warriors’ 24 NRL matches last season.
Crockett (23), boasting seven tries in his eight first-grade matches, is on the left wing while Lawrie will start at loose forward. Signed from Bartercard Cup side the Canterbury Bulls, he turns 27 tomorrow.
The bench includes only one player who isn’t a teenager, forward Wayne McDade (25). Sonny Fai (18), who has previously travelled as 18th man for the Vodafone Warriors, is joined by 17-year-olds Russell Packer and Constantine Mika and a trio of 19-year-olds in Malo Solomona, Miguel Start and Scott Jones. The last five are all on super elite contracts which have enabled them to train fulltime with the NRL squad.
There’s plenty of NRL experience among the rest of the side for what head coach Ivan Cleary is using as a chance to look at options ahead of the club’s two vital NRL trials against North Queensland in Mackay on February 24 and the Bulldogs at North Harbour Stadium on March 3.
To that end Lance Hohaia will start at fullback and winger Cooper Vuna, who has played his five NRL matches on the wing, is in the centres with Tony Martin.
“For this trial, it’s a good chance to have a look at what some players can do in other positions,†said Cleary.
“It also allows us to give our younger players the experience of playing alongside first graders in a genuine trial.â€
Not being used on Sunday are new signings Wade McKinnon and Logan Swann plus Steve Price, Ruben Wiki, Wairangi Koopu, Nathan Fien, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei, Micheal Luck and Simon Mannering. Not considered were Patrick Ah Van and new fullback Aidan Kirk, who are both coming back from off-season surgery. They’ll all be involved in Community Day activities, including coaching clinics for kids from 10.00am on Sunday.
The trial is also vital for the Auckland Lions as they build towards making their debut in the New South Wales Premier League this year. Some players from the Vodafone Warriors’ Allied Work Force development squad are likely to turn out for the Lions, co-coached by Graeme Norton and Brian McClennan.
Bill Harrigan, now working as assistant to NRL referees’ coach Robert Finch, will control the trial.

VODAFONE WARRIORS V AUCKLAND LIONS

Mount Smart Stadium No 2, Auckland

2.00pm, Sunday, February 18, 2006

Referee: Bill Harrigan

VODAFONE WARRIORS TEAM

LANCE HOHAIA

TODD BYRNE

TONY MARTIN

COOPER VUNA

MICHAEL CROCKETT

MICHAEL WITT

GRANT ROVELLI

SAM RAPIRA

GEORGE GATIS

EVARN TUIMAVAVE

EPALAHAME LAUAKI

LOUIS ANDERSON

COREY LAWRIE

SONNY FAI

WAYNE McDADE

RUSSELL PACKER

CONSTANTINE MIKA

MALO SOLOMONA

MIGUEL START

SCOTT JONES

KeepingTheFaith_old

Hohaia at fullback? Interesting. What does the Lions team look like? The Warriors "should" win comfortably, but having said that with so many players out of position or new to the team it's unlikely to be a fluent performance. Maybe somewhere around 28-10 or 34-12. Comfortable but not overly convincing. It's more likely going to be a game where individuals shine rather than the team itself.

Huge potential sitting on that bench, and I hope Vuna really has a blinder.

Skinny_Ravs82

It's a trial so really while the result is not the main factor it's nice. they are just going to see how things go with the guys in different positions. And importantly they have a chance to get into the swing of things have some fun.

Jesbass_old

I think Mt Albert will provide a much more fluid performance, especially if Steve Buckingham is once again at the helm. The Warriors should win, yes, due to greater realised talent and experience, but their cohesiveness will be interesting, especially once some of the bench players take to the field.

MEAN

I'm SO going down to Mt Smart this Sunday. Yessah.

I'm planning on going t=down for part of the day, too. Fancy meeting up?

jahc_old

Looking at this starting line up, Is it a possibilty that the Warriors could be knocked over by the Auckland Lions ? or is there to many young guns in there for the Warriors ?
Nah man, thats nearly an NRL strength starting forward pack! I reckon we'll win. :)

I feel sorry for Hohaia though. He's just a fill in player here, I dont think they see him doing much in the team this year. :( Vuna is the better fullback out of the two, but it looks like they want to experiment with him in the centres. I would LOVE for Vuna to be a starting centre for the Warriors this year. :) Him and Ropati could be damaging! Put Mannering in the forwards somewhere, and try and get him to develop a good offload.. Phoarr!! Look out!

Swanley_old

Skinny I think that has been our problem in the past.

Even though it is a trial, the result is important.

If we do not beat the Auckland Lions, some players should not be at the Warriors.

We should be aiming to win this at a canter. Don't forget this Warriors team has starting players and players on the fringe of starting in it.

We need to win.

It is all about momentum.

EnterFien_old

Skinny I think that has been our problem in the past.

Even though it is a trial, the result is important.

If we do not beat the Auckland Lions, some players should not be at the Warriors.

We should be aiming to win this at a canter. Don't forget this Warriors team has starting players and players on the fringe of starting in it.

We need to win.

It is all about momentum.

Thats correct and it gives the fringe players momentum and faith

David James_old

Really wish I could be there this weekend but I DJ on Sunday afternoons so can't make it!

It's going to be really hard when the season starts proper, have to record the games and watch them later.

Hopefully you guys will be able to provide a full report on the game and who did what etc etc.

sebastian_old

What the hell is Lance doing at fullback?? I will be dying to know how Witt goes, good on ya Cleary for giving Witt the chance he deserves & PLEASE leave Witt at 5/8 for good!!

moonfire_old

I am very interested to see how Hoahia performs at Fullback. Its an interesting selection i would never have predicted. I will save judgment however until i see how he goes however.

Mangi-Maori_old

Im glad Witt and Rovelli have been paired up early. This is the crucial combination for the Warriors. I hope they gel, and Witt stamps his mark on the game.

Skinny_Ravs82

Im glad Witt and Rovelli have been paired up early. This is the crucial combination for the Warriors. I hope they gel, and Witt stamps his mark on the game.
Yeah I think that's a fair point. Get them in early let them try things out. Perhaps it's an indiction of their plans and what they'll be testing out. Who knows really.:boink: