john nick

john nick

It's been a real journey for me. I'd say I'm still only 40% of my usual health...

I really underestimated how discombobulated the virus can make you feel.

My symptoms are bit of nausea and a strong afternoon fatigue. It's not glamorous to say but I also had the worst malaise (depression) I've ever had Monday and Tuesday. Thankfully that's lifted now.

It's so random how different people are affected.

My son's back at school and totally fine, my missus still have a bit of nausea.

I'm hoping the next infection is more mild...
Hopefully you guys are getting over the rona and feeling better now

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
It's been a real journey for me. I'd say I'm still only 40% of my usual health...

I really underestimated how discombobulated the virus can make you feel.

My symptoms are bit of nausea and a strong afternoon fatigue. It's not glamorous to say but I also had the worst malaise (depression) I've ever had Monday and Tuesday. Thankfully that's lifted now.

It's so random how different people are affected.

My son's back at school and totally fine, my missus still have a bit of nausea.

I'm hoping the next infection is more mild...

Just got out of hospital.

First time with Rona.

Pretty stoked I did not die.

Without the jab I would have been dead, there is no argument about that,

I knew with my pre existing stuff this would be touch and go.

Hopefully people can understand my anger in this thread because my family just went through a terrible time.

My kids especially were traumatized by it.

I deserve to live. I have done nothing to deserve death. I am thankful to our Govt for saving my life.

The Govt precautions brought me the time to live....the time to get Vaccinated before Rona took my life.

But the reason your post touched me is that I wanted to let you know that you will never have it so hard again.

Juju

Juju

First time with Rona.

Hopefully people can understand my anger in this thread because my family just went through a terrible time.

I deserve to live. I have done nothing to deserve death. I am thankful to our Govt for saving my life.

The Govt precautions brought me the time to live....the time to get Vaccinated before Rona took my life.

But the reason your post touched me is that I wanted to let you know that you will never have it so hard again.
Another realisation I had, the health response by our country was pretty incredible. To register your positive test and instantly have access to health advice, food deliveries, emergency funds if I needed it.
That really does get lost in all the petty teeth gnashing.

Glad you're better Sup

Worried2Death

Worried2Death

First time with Rona.

Farout glad you're still with us brother, must have been pretty bad, was it your lungs? were you on the respirator?

Last edited:
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Farout glad you're still with us brother, must have been pretty bad, was it your lungs? we you on the respirator

Just one night. The tricky part is waiting till you know you will be accepted and the Ambos will come out and get you. I have monitoring equipment at home and was able to pick the right time to make the ph call for help.

Thing that worried me the most was knowing Rona has dead men walking factors where patients look good and by the time they get to hospital it is too late even though they are doing ok on arrival.

Omicron is not so vicious fortunately and as I say monitoring your own O2 sats, temp and blood pressure helps build a picture for the person at the other end of a call.

Not nice for family. The standard of care is amazing. They really know what they are doing with Rona now.

Last edited:
marv

marv

there seems to be a bunch of buzz about this new anti vaccine documentary named died suddenly, has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?

sounds to be mostly bullshit according to this…

i also find it strange that in my dealings, nobody who’s vaccinated knows anyone that’s either died or had and serious reaction to the vaccine yet every single anti vaxxer seems to know tons of dead and people with major reactions. hahaha

anyone that got vaccinated here had any reactions or health problems since?

i have not.

Miket12

Miket12

there seems to be a bunch of buzz about this new anti vaccine documentary named died suddenly, has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?

sounds to be mostly bullshit according to this…

i also find it strange that in my dealings, nobody who’s vaccinated knows anyone that’s either died or had and serious reaction to the vaccine yet every single anti vaxxer seems to know tons of dead and people with major reactions. hahaha

anyone that got vaccinated here had any reactions or health problems since?

i have not.
A friend of ours is in a wheelchair due to her muscular dystrophy and she had a serious of severe complications when she had the Pfizer vaccine including heart issues.

Since then, she's had Novavax vaccine and boosters without complications.

Due to a COVID positive case in her retirement village not isolating but going to a mid-Winter Christmas party when unwell, she contracted COVID but got through it better and faster than expected.

• Sad
Reactions: tajhay
marv

marv

A friend of ours is in a wheelchair due to her muscular dystrophy and she had a serious of severe complications when she had the Pfizer vaccine including heart issues.

Since then, she's had Novavax vaccine and boosters without complications.

Due to a COVID positive case in her retirement village not isolating but going to a mid-Winter Christmas party when unwell, she contracted COVID but got through it better and faster than expected.
holy hell! poor thing, sorry to hear that. i’m glad she got through alright the end though.

Cces

Cces

Seems like absolute bullshit. The basketballer in the trailer who #diedsuddenly might end up in the NBA if he holds his form
Received 509721357839569

Reactions: Worried2Death
marv

marv

Seems like absolute bullshit. The basketballer in the trailer who #diedsuddenly might end up in the NBA if he holds his form View attachment 49308
i know yeah! hahahahahaa.

i mean if you’re making a documentary for people who seem to love screeching d0 s0mE rEsEaRcH youve either done research and withheld the truth in the name of entertainment or you’re just a complete fucking imbecile.

Last edited:
Cces

Cces

i know yeah! hahahahahaa.

i mean if you’re making a documentary for people who seem to love screeching d0 s0mE rEsEaRcH you think you’d either have done research and withheld the truth in the name of entertainment or you’re just a complete fucking imbecile
A friend shared it in a messenger group chat the other day & the ensuing debate did my head in. I pointed out that when the basketballer had his event, vaccinations weren't occurring in Florida yet & student athletes weren't at the front of queue even if they were. My friend asked how I could be certain he didn't travel interstate & back on this day & that elite athletes got priority. FML!
Kunt tells anyone in earshot they're living in fear yet he spends his days watching that shit. He's a well educated fella but he's been legitimately screwed over by the government before & now jumps on any & every anti-government bandwagon. Sad situation

Miket12

Miket12

Covid-19 vs the flu: Death rates compared​

Covid-19 is killing three times as many New Zealanders as influenza does in a typical year.

University of Otago epidemiologist Professor Michael Baker said while Covid-19 does share some similarities with influenza, it’s had a more severe impact on New Zealanders than influenza usually does.

More than 2000 people died this year with Covid-19 identified as the underlying or contributing cause of death. Over the past 30 years an average of 695 people a year died due to influenza or pneumonia. Since 1991, the highest number of deaths attributed to influenza or pneumonia in a single year was 1197 and the lowest was 382.

As well as killing more people than influenza, Covid-19 put more people in hospital this year than influenza did in a typical year.

More than 20,000 people were admitted to hospital for Covid-19 in 2022. In 2019 influenza hospitalised 6547 people.

“It’s far more severe,” Baker said, and it could be shaping up to be our second biggest killer.

RNZ compared Covid-19 deaths per 100,000 people in 2022 to cause of death statistics of other diseases (2019 is the most recent publicly available data).

Only deaths where Covid-19 was identified as the underlying or contributing cause of death were included; people who died with Covid-19 but not as a result of it were not included in the totals.

While 2022′s Covid-19 death rate is a distant second to 2019′s heart disease death rate per 100,000, it outranked lung cancer, bowel cancer, respiratory disease and diabetes.

Baker said data on Covid-19 as a cause of death is two years ahead of other diseases because the health system has made a considerable effort to promptly identify when Covid-19 has caused or contributed to a death.

As well as being a bigger killer than many diseases, Covid-19 deaths were also higher than this year’s current road toll and 2019′s suspected suicides.

However, Baker said it was unclear if Covid-19 would remain one of our top causes of death in the future.

“We’re really not sure whether getting this virus a second or third or fourth time does carry exactly the same risks as the first time. The evidence is still inconclusive on that. There are studies pointing in both directions.”

Until this was clear he suggested it would be prudent to assume it would remain a major killer and plan accordingly.

“I think what we’re missing at the moment in New Zealand is a very clear strategy which says, actually, our goal is both to reduce the rate of infections and the consequences.”

Clear guidelines on how to run safe workplaces, schools and social events would be helpful, and he would like to see mask use return to public transport, in particular buses and trains, which he said were high-risk environments with “notoriously poor for ventilation”.

Mask use in other high-risk settings could be looked at if the current wave intensified further, he said.

The impact of Long Covid should also be considered.

While 2022′s Covid-19 death rate is a distant second to 2019′s heart disease death rate per 100,000, it outranked lung cancer, bowel cancer, respiratory disease and diabetes.

Baker said data on Covid-19 as a cause of death is two years ahead of other diseases because the health system has made a considerable effort to promptly identify when Covid-19 has caused or contributed to a death.

As well as being a bigger killer than many diseases, Covid-19 deaths were also higher than this year’s current road toll and 2019′s suspected suicides.

However, Baker said it was unclear if Covid-19 would remain one of our top causes of death in the future.

“We’re really not sure whether getting this virus a second or third or fourth time does carry exactly the same risks as the first time. The evidence is still inconclusive on that. There are studies pointing in both directions.”

Until this was clear he suggested it would be prudent to assume it would remain a major killer and plan accordingly.

“I think what we’re missing at the moment in New Zealand is a very clear strategy which says, actually, our goal is both to reduce the rate of infections and the consequences.”

Clear guidelines on how to run safe workplaces, schools and social events would be helpful, and he would like to see mask use return to public transport, in particular buses and trains, which he said were high-risk environments with “notoriously poor for ventilation”.

Mask use in other high-risk settings could be looked at if the current wave intensified further, he said.

The impact of Long Covid should also be considered.

Summer of uncertainty ahead for Covid-19 deaths​

Covid-19 Modelling Aotearoa’s Dr Emily Harvey said the most up-to-date modelling showed our current wave of Covid cases was likely to peak this month. “We’re still looking at the end of December, around Christmas.”

“Cases are very uncertain, because they’re so dependent on reporting behaviour,” she said, but modelling still suggested reported cases could peak between 10,000 to 14,000 per day.

She expected infections to be as high as July’s deadly wave in which 554 deaths, around a quarter of all Covid-19 attributed deaths in 2022, occurred in a single month.

The peak of hospitalisations may occur in the last week of December through to the first weeks of January, and most deaths would likely occur in the first weeks of January.

The current modelling did not include the impact of antivirals, she said. These could reduce the severity of the illness and are available to those at higher risk. If they were widely used it would be possible the deaths from this wave of Covid-19 could be lower than July’s wave.

Antivirals are available to people aged 65 and older, to people of Māori or Pacific ethnicity aged 50 or older, for unvaccinated people and for those with other risk factors.

“The biggest issue is that in order for them to work, they need to be used early on in the infections. This means that people need to be detecting that they have Covid-19 as early as possible in their infection, and then be able to get a prescription, and get it filled, promptly,” she said.

Harvey suggested people who are eligible for antivirals could ask their GP for an advance prescription before practices shut down over Christmas.

Antivirals are available without a prescription from 400 pharmacies, but University of Waikato’s Dr Rawiri Keenan was concerned this wouldn’t be enough to ensure easy access to the medicines.

“While many pharmacies usually stay open over weekends, during these summer holidays on statutory holiday days they will join general practice teams in largely being closed,” he said.

Christmas and New Year both fall on a Sunday this year and are observed on a Tuesday, meaning many pharmacies will be closed from Saturday afternoon until Wednesday morning.

Keenan is worried we are relying heavily on treatment being available, “when we know for everything from infection to diabetes, prevention is better than cure.”

Both Baker and Harvey suggested taking measures ahead of Christmas get-togethers to keep older relatives, who are most at risk from serious outcomes, safe from Covid-19.

This includes doing a RAT test before attending gatherings and taking precautions, such as wearing a mask, in high-risk situations.

Baker said one of the joys of December was the many social events.

“But just think about doing it safely, particularly in the lead up to Christmas, when after that people are going to be dispersing all around the country, and often visiting more vulnerable relatives and friends. Try not to take the virus with you.”

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Covid is pretty rampant in Sydney right now. I'm on day 4. Fortunately I only had 1 real bad day where I could not move or talk (or breathe as my asthma got triggered). Also cold chills and sore body (thought it was due to a remedial massage i got on the weekend lol). Wife was supposed to go to USA tomorrow to attend her friend's wedding and see her fam but she tested positive just now as well. She had been quarantining away from me in another room. Both of us with 3 shots. I'm pretty sweet right now. Been going for walks in the sun (with a mask on ofcourse) past 2 days away from people.

Just be careful everyone. It's still out there.

snake77

snake77

It's getting a lot more coverage now.

Also coming into Christmas a lot more socializing. A lot of Christmas parties and school concerts. An advantage of getting back to normal is the international acts returning. We've had some big concerts recently. Some good places for it to spread.

I've heard of a lot more people with covid recently.

At the moment personally if I were to get it again it's more an inconvenience due to the timing of Christmas. The majority of my kids Christmas presidents are 3.5 hours away in the Bay of Plenty. So being infected and at home sick while my kids get over it after a day would mean having to cover the Santa ruse. Mind you that would reduce the budget as I'm buying gifts from mum & dad and Santa until they sort it out.

The other worry would be my father who is in his mid 80s. The first instance knocked him around a lot and he's only just gotten over a chest infection which had my sister debating getting him into hospital. At least if we are all there he isn't home alone dealing with it.

I'd also prefer to get it when I'm not on leave.

snake77

snake77

Driving the other night they had a caller on the radio from close to Nelson who wanted to talk covid.

The discussion was about a rest home with a high number of cases and it being rampant. The guy had a reliable source but then talked about the cook at the rest home. So not sure if the cook and the source are on and the same or if the source is more reliable.

He went on about a lockdown being announced and then going to "orange" again.

He was unclear if the lockdown was localised to the rest home or wider. The resthome could announce one but the government has already said no more lockdowns. Then the orange level. Haven't we abolished the traffic light system?

Marcus Lush went through these arguments and how it will be unlikely. I would be surprised if the radio hosts get these calls often on talk back.

The point is there are still a lot of rumours that circulate about covid and lockdowns or levels etc.

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

I've been keeping an eye on numbers but not daily but weekly now. I can go back to daily if need be, but on the 12th which was 3 days ago the case numbers were the highest they have ever been in over a few months, it was 8428 in one day on the 12th.

We reached 2 million cases of covid on the 8th, that's including re-invections and once again the top 5 places are Auckland, Canterbury, Waikato, Wellington and the Southern region.

It's going to get worse before we get better and they reckon we might peak towards the end of December.

I'm hoping they will put us back to Orange or at least get us to masked up everywhere again, they just have to announce it. But mind you Parliament went on holiday yesterday until February. Lucky buggers getting that long off.

Anyway everyone keep safe. I still have yet to have covid. I've had my 3rd shot, my first booster, and I'm due to have my second booster whenever they announce it for under 50's, but if I really wanted one I could still get due to my health issues.

Dixpat

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
The Breakers can't travel to Perth for this week's game as 7 of the squad have C19

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
In our house we have been a bit casual about the latest outbreak but the neighbours have just had family fly in from the UK. I took them into town on the bus on Tuesday so the kids could find their way around. Just realised this morning I didn't give a thought to C19 - now I'm sweating on the visitors next door not contracting it on their way over through Dubai.
Everyone be careful out there. We all need a break from it this Christmas

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
We're a family of six. My partner and twins had it though the symptoms were almost non-existent for our twins but my partner had mild ones with one day being less mild. We all quarantined in the same household yet the other three never got it.

I work casually with a team of 30 contractors. I'm the only contractor in the group who has never contracted the virus.. Im also the only one from my extended friends.

I've concluded that I'm completely impervious to covid and have evolved a far superior immune system than the overwhelming majority of the human population. I have passed those superior genes onto half my offspring. I fear that if word got out about my insusceptible immune system I would be forced to offer myself to science much in the same way John Travolta's character in the movie Phenomenon was. So dont tell anyone.

That is all...