1st Day in Red for: - Rest of NZ - 24th January 2022

41 Days since Auckland borders were removed - 15th December 2021

34 Days since Omicron appeared in MIQ - 17th December 2021

26 Days since Omicron appeared in the community - 29th December 2021

7 Days since Vaccinations started for 5-12 year olds - 17th January 2022

Reactions: 2 users
Noitall

Noitall

So it’s not a fear but an inevitability that there’s going to be a variant that’s vaccine resistant. Just hope the vaccine continues to lessen the severity of the illness. Starting to become obvious that we’re going to have to live with it.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
24th January 2022

697 Days since covid arrived in NZ - 28th February 2020

104 Days to eliminate the first wave - 8th June 2020

9 Days later before covid returned in MIQ - 17th June 2020

Spent 622 days in the 4 Tier Level System - 21st March 2020 - 2nd December 2021

Gave us time to start vaccinations - 345 days ago - 14th February 2021

160 days since Delta hit - became our 2nd wave - 18th August 2021

51 Days of the Traffic Light System - 3rd December 2021

51 Days in Red for:

Far North

1st Day in Red for: - Rest of NZ - 24th January 2022

41 Days since Auckland borders were removed - 15th December 2021

34 Days since Omicron appeared in MIQ - 17th December 2021

26 Days since Omicron appeared in the community - 29th December 2021

7 Days since Vaccinations started for 5-12 year olds - 17th January 2022
To be technical, Northland made it to orange last week for a few days before we all got put back in to red.

wizards rage

wizards rage

This is what pisses me off about the milder narrative.
I keep trying to warn people it is worse in kids than Delta.
It is what it is - terrifying parents won’t make any difference.

The whole pandemic has been about controlling peoples fear - using it to help enforce lockdown and now downplaying the impact when Covid is inevitable.

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

It is what it is - terrifying parents won’t make any difference.

The whole pandemic has been about controlling peoples fear - using it to help enforce lockdown and now downplaying the impact when Covid is inevitable.
This is where we differ.

To me the whole pandemic has been about keeping up with the science and sharing that knowledge with as many like minded people as I can to in some small way make people's lives better and safer.

Don't get me wrong, I slag off the circus and have strong bias about the politics but none of that is what a pandemic is actually about.

I am staying with my adult kids in Auckland right now, in transit to Waiheke when my folks get outta MIQ.

My Huntly Whanau rang me in tears after yesterday's announcements to thank me for setting their bubble up to allow the option of being at home and using KN95s for urgent travel.

I was stoked they are taken care of, and they are feeling safe and secure because they adopted a take it seriously approach.

As it is true of this thread, I am better prepared because of member contributions and while I only have a phone to chat from, seeing this mornings @Rizza Post is another example of an early heads up.

There are people with kids here with us, they need to understand that right now, vaccinating them is more urgent than with Delta.

Just another example of how the rules have changed.

Stay tuned in other words, and if you have been part of this group, I bet you ain't gonna get caught out by supply chain collapse....as we see 15 Air NZ staff go down this morning...expect the national carrier to stop flying a lot of routes shortly.

Reactions: 6 users
Fonzie

Fonzie

I'm interested in thoughts about the scale of NSWs outbreak.

It looks like we "may" have just peaked and be heading down the other side, with about 10% of the population having been (officially) infected. Lets double that and say its actually 20% and will get to 25% as part of this wave.

Is 25% enough to move you to an 'endemic' phase, given 75% of the population is still not affected? How did the spread of this wave stop before hitting a majority of the population? Are we going to have another similar sized wave or bigger when schools reopen?

Reactions: 1 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

It looks like we "may" have just peaked and be heading down the other side, with about 10% of the population having been (officially) infected. Lets double that and say its actually 20% and will get to 25% as part of this wave.

Is 25% enough to move you to an 'endemic' phase, given 75% of the population is still not affected? How did the spread of this wave stop before hitting a majority of the population? Are we going to have another similar sized wave or bigger when schools reopen?
Traditionally there are a couple of waves in a pandemic to get enough people infected that we reach herd immunity. Estimates are you need 70% immunity for herd immunity to permanent stop the virus. But if overseas countries reach a high rate we may need less.

People talk of the 3-4 ‘waves’ we have previously had but less than 1% of the population in Nz and Australia were ever infected.

Hopefully the start of the end has begun with omicron.

Reactions: 3 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

This is where we differ.
Nope… I agree, we need the info.

But the official response has been to calm the people, be eternally positive, show it’s all under control, tell everyone how prepared we are and get the population to respond in the most effective manner - even when it’s sometimes economical with the reality.

Nothing wrong with that.

Sup42

Sup42

The estimates of cases is hugely problematic.

My gut tells me the real number is much higher.

There are two types of exposure to viruses. Those who have untraceable exposure events, and those who become what we in lay terms call infected.

I am including asymptomatic cases in the infected group.

But most virologists think there is a specific exposed group that people like us and the media do not understand. Let's just call them 'exposed only' to help me explain.

Exposed only' to omicron would be someone who gets virus in the nasal passages, a very small amount, and the body kills it without anyone ever knowing. Well you can check with a blood test after the fact.
Therefore Australian blood donor samples will start revealing a good record of the true % of people exposed to Covid.

In this group you will see some level of immunity develop among those who have decent immune systems ( this is pre supposed since they killed Covid rappidly in the first place).

If you consider this principle of exposure, then the wave in NSW could be falling because as many as 75% or higher have been exposed.

Also, and more importantly, we are entering the window where people were told to put on masks. And we have seen this with every wave.

A wave comes, restrictions are minimal re masks and indoor gatherings....the wave explodes....people panic....masks go back on, people stop going to bars and restaurants, the waves go into decline.

An R Naught is a measure of human behaviour more than a function of a viruses infectiousness in terms of transmission.

NSW is lowering the R Naught.

As for endemic phases, I do not believe in it with Covid until we see years of these current waves being finally met by a world wide treatment response of the virus.

I think we can talk about endemic when Govts unite and take the patents from big pharma, and Govts fund therapies and vaccines for all...all at once.

Right now we have a new omicron going straight over the old...I keep telling people this idea of endemic living with is complete bulshit with this specific virus until there is some fundamental change at some unpredictable future point.

No one knows!

Reactions: 5 users
Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

So, hunkered and bunkered down in the land of the free. Food everywhere, in fact I hope like hell there is a freight bottleneck otherwise it will take me 5 years to chow through all the supplies.

I see in the MSM we are back to guessing the amount of infected to come plus how many will die.

Anyways, couple of questions someone may be able to answer or have some thoughts on as I sure as hell can't find anything on any moh website.

I live alone so if I get some symptoms I should get in the car drive up to base hospital and sit 5-6 hours for a test?

Or, should I just isolate at home which is seeming to be the plan (yet to be formally announced)

Now, isolating at home, do I take RAT tests and if so, where do I get them (bearing in mind I'm in isolation as I'm symptomatic) and how do we a. Pay for them, are they free? and b. use them. Although the PM initially banned them, it seems they will now be our saviour so I need to know and do some pre planning.

Lastly, if I do get a test (either), what happens to the info? Will I have to advise the moh of a positive test and what happens then?

Will they then remotely monitor my condition?

Just a bit of forward planning before the onslaught.

Reactions: 7 users
Sup42

Sup42

So, hunkered and bunkered down in the land of the free. Food everywhere, in fact I hope like hell there is a freight bottleneck otherwise it will take me 5 years to chow through all the supplies.

I see in the MSM we are back to guessing the amount of infected to come plus how many will die.

Anyways, couple of questions someone may be able to answer or have some thoughts on as I sure as hell can't find anything on any moh website.

I live alone so if I get some symptoms I should get in the car drive up to base hospital and sit 5-6 hours for a test?

Or, should I just isolate at home which is seeming to be the plan (yet to be formally announced)

Now, isolating at home, do I take RAT tests and if so, where do I get them (bearing in mind I'm in isolation as I'm symptomatic) and how do we a. Pay for them, are they free? and b. use them. Although the PM initially banned them, it seems they will now be our saviour so I need to know and do some pre planning.

Lastly, if I do get a test (either), what happens to the info? Will I have to advise the moh of a positive test and what happens then?

At the moment you are meant to drive to your testing center as soon as you get symptoms.

The other stuff I dunno.

• Haha
Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor

We have testing capacity so PCR will be the go to if you are symptomatic or a close contact at this stage.

We are very much in the slow the spread phase to allow boosters and kids vax. Plus more time to get further RATs.
The good thing is we are masking up and not allowing large gatherings prior to the big wave, it will help slow the spread. Both the UK and Aus were in a 'open up' phase when they were hit by Omicron.

Last edited:
Cces

Cces

Thanks to whoever suggested getting an Oximeter. A guy around the road from me is selling them so I grabbed one yesterday. Not sure if I paid too much for it at $25? Could prove to be very handy

Reactions: 6 users
Fonzie

Fonzie

Thanks to whoever suggested getting an Oximeter. A guy around the road from me is selling them so I grabbed one yesterday. Not sure if I paid too much for it at $25? Could prove to be very handy
Fair price in Sydney

snake77

snake77

I'm not totally over the details myself but will do the best to help where I can. Someone can correct if I'm wrong or expand if needed.

My advice would be to find a way to get a test and be registered with the MOH so you are in the system. It would also pay to get someone** to do a wellness check on you if you are isolating at home alone. The reason for this is you want to avoid being like the 36 year old who died last week. At home alone and they found later he had covid. You want to have someone that knows so if you don't answer or things get worse they can call an ambulance etc.
** If your stuck you can message me your details.

You will probably need to judge this on how sick you are. If you are up to it or catch the symptoms early enough a test would be recommended.
A 5-6 hour weight isn't ideal. Not sure on your location and if leaving base to a testing station would be possible. Depending on how the outbreak goes they might also be under stress as well.

I know we have a few million in country. Not sure how the public get them as there was a reported recommending the government hand them out for free to help the less privileiged.
I've seen discussion on here from people overseas about ordering them. Also seen a YouTuber discuss how they had different brands at home so he confirmed on one brand and got his wife to confirm on another brand.

I think here in NZ there is still a bit to be confirmed here with the RAT distribution.

If you get a test at a centre it is registered with the MOH and you will be notified on the results. From our kids tests I believe it was you get a call if it is positive.
It may have been you may not hear back if it is negative but we have got text messages that they were negative. This may change as the volume increases.

If you get a RAT kit at home there should be a system to register it with the MOH. They may require you to go to a testing centre to confirm, again this could change depending on the volume of cases.

My understanding is the MOH will check in with you remotely. Think of this as a wellness check.

If you are isolating at home you will need to follow the best practice (number of days). Might even need a negative test, again this could be dependent on the volume of cases. The danger we will have is people isolating at home and are not registered could just stay at home until they start feeling better and not wait the full period anddecide they are over it and go out and still be infectious.

Some of these we have been debating at home. I have my wife and two kids so hopefully one of us is up to driving to a centre.

• Love
DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

To be technical, Northland made it to orange last week for a few days before we all got put back in to red.
Thanks for that, I hadn't caught up on that information as I've been away and wasn't really sure, so I'll sort that out now. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

You're welcome, and you got a great deal.