Staff Coaching Candidates 2022/23

tajhay

🏉
Honestly what a shambles ffs is this club in.No one of note wants to coach here so just add another thing to the warriors CV.NRL record for the most coaches in a club.
Can't blame the coaches for declining us. This club has a history of sacking coaches and considered a a poisoned chalice with its own unique issues.

Be honest, if you were a half decent coach, would you want this coaching gig or wait for another opportunity with a club that atleast has the basics somewhat right?

Didn't Brown tell Robinson around two weeks prior to getting the chop that he couldn't commit past end of 2023 to the Warriors? What was the rush to sack him when there was no talks with any prospective coaches? Makes no sense, just like the Lodge payout.

In an ideal, overly optimistic world Stacey takes us to the premiership, but even he doesn't want the job.

Can't see us recruiting a decent coach at this club.

I think the issue we have is with the CEO. Over the past 5 years we have had back of staff come & go, promising development, long term plans & consistent improvement. How can he let these people go/force them out? To name names:

Brian Smith
Alex Corvo
Peter O’Sullivan
Phil Gould
to name just a couple

& then go to the fans with “they weren’t the right fit” without any backup plan, maybe that was CG or maybe the owner but until we stop this merry go round, if we don’t then we’ll always be a bottom feeder club. & please if I see Stacy Jones, Justin Morgan or Tony Iro are anywhere near the coaching box next year, I’ll turn the game over. Apart from telling old war stories they have proved they are useless!!!

The challenges landing a coach are again becoming apparent.
I watched ‘Once a Warrior’ on SKY with Daniel Anderson last night. He landed the job as a young candidate with good success coaching lower grades.He was was analytical, could identify talent and really wanted the opportunity to coach first grade.
He also identified the need to have a playing style. He was a left field choice to a point. I’d be happier now with a slightly left field /unexpected ( but not stupid choice) choice than a regurgitated choice expecting a different outcome.
No to Toovey, No to The Walkers, no to Madge ( as a HC)
Yes to a strong personality with a vision and definite point of view of how to shape the team.
If we chill for a bit we seem to have been turned down by only 2 candidates. One was a longer shot ( Woolf) one I thought was a good shot ( Flanagan)
We can still land a good coach and assistants.
We have some good recruits for next year. We have to ride this wave for a bit longer and hope it tubes and not dumps on us. 🌊 🏄‍♂️ 🤞🏾
The challenges landing a coach seem to be getting harder and harder each time we go through it. The exceptions being when they promote the assistant or interim coach. But each time we go to the market it seems to be getting harder and harder.

Two examples. Go back to replacing McClennan and we wanted to be the biggest club and went hard for Bellamy and ended up with Elliott. We needed an experienced coach and ended up with Brown who like Kearney seemed to think his methods would eventually come good.

Anderson raised eye brows at the time but had specific skills and was an up and coming coach. Cleary starting out his career but managed to get the playing group to buy into his methods and a lot of them play above themselves.

Payten in his short time go the players buying into what he wanted to do and they started to show more resilience than they had under Kearney.

We need someone that sets a high standard and sticks to it. Problem is a few of them have promised that but failed to deliver. Finding someone that the playing group will buy into is the hard part.

The other part of our better periods were the local players coming through. The last few years have hurt the club a lot. But the main area would be the development plans. They need to invest big here when they return. Keep players coming through so we don't need to depend on recruitment which is already an issue.

The club needs stability getting it is the problem.

Invest in facilities so potential coaches know they have the best training resources, invest in development so potential coaches know players will be coming through. That may make the club a better prospect for coaches.

The challenges landing a coach seem to be getting harder and harder each time we go through it. The exceptions being when they promote the assistant or interim coach. But each time we go to the market it seems to be getting harder and harder.

Two examples. Go back to replacing McClennan and we wanted to be the biggest club and went hard for Bellamy and ended up with Elliott. We needed an experienced coach and ended up with Brown who like Kearney seemed to think his methods would eventually come good.

Anderson raised eye brows at the time but had specific skills and was an up and coming coach. Cleary starting out his career but managed to get the playing group to buy into his methods and a lot of them play above themselves.

Payten in his short time go the players buying into what he wanted to do and they started to show more resilience than they had under Kearney.

We need someone that sets a high standard and sticks to it. Problem is a few of them have promised that but failed to deliver. Finding someone that the playing group will buy into is the hard part.

The other part of our better periods were the local players coming through. The last few years have hurt the club a lot. But the main area would be the development plans. They need to invest big here when they return. Keep players coming through so we don't need to depend on recruitment which is already an issue.

The club needs stability getting it is the problem.

Invest in facilities so potential coaches know they have the best training resources, invest in development so potential coaches know players will be coming through. That may make the club a better prospect for coaches.
Its so fucked up up when you think of Kearneys time here in hindsight, he had Todd Payten, and Steve McNamara as assitant coaches! He had some pull and skin in the game that others respected.

Then the club shit all over that, and now people must look over here and go no way I'm going to that place. I've been trying to think about who Cameron George really is.....
Grima.jpg

I think the quicker Mohawk gets out of this spell the quicker he will realise what a mappet Cameron George really is. No one wants to work under this CEO surely!

I actually think Maguire would be good for this club even though it didn’t work out at the Tigers, sometimes it just doesn’t work. He has won a premiership, is coaching the Kiwi’s and knows all about players needing to work hard.
Yeah Madge had a good crop and Rabbits same can't be said for Tigers.
They have a power imbalance makes the Warriors woes look pale in comparison. Thwor accounting is shot, they dont build anything which is what they should do. They instead prefer to go out and buy players for a quick fix.
Like the Warriors are Losing out on players walking away. And their Best ones, at that.

Reactions: bruce
I'm not convinced the Kiwis had much of a game plan tbh - sure Manu made big meters but he looked lost every time he had the ball, just had no idea other than run and had very little support.
That’s no different from Manu playing fullback for the Roosters.

Actually to be fair to the bloke, he’s called himself out post game as needing to link better with the rest of the spine.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced the Kiwis had much of a game plan tbh - sure Manu made big meters but he looked lost every time he had the ball, just had no idea other than run and had very little support.
On limited preparation and against a very potent on paper lineup they really delivered. Very few ordinary performances.
The coach delivered exactly what was required.
On the coaching hunt it’s obvious no one is coming to save us and the clubs only option for future success is to develop our own talent into disciplined first grade players.
I applaud ownership for investing in development grades next year and beyond this every other club seems to find diamonds in the rough out in our regional communities. We seem to be focused on the large Rugby schools only which I don’t believe is a great apprenticeship for the grind and mental toughness required in the NRL
With regard to coaches there are still good people available. We need a tough but settled pre season where the players and coach can build trust. A coach the players believe in who demands high standards is what we need. The assistants handle the day to day technical details. But if we focus on what the players we have available can do and develop accordingly there is no reason we can’t be competitive.
In terms of names I think Dean Pay, Neil Henry and John Morris are all coaches who could work quietly and effectively with our squad. There are others

We need a seasoned coach that knows what the rest of the organisation should be delivering and demand it. We also need an owner that will stand aside long enough to let that coach run the place.
Even if a miracle happened and the first one was available and wanted to come here, could the organisation survive two alphas?

Reactions: Defence and tr73