Staff Coaching Candidates 2022/23

Kristian Woolf has rejected the Warriors bid to have him replace Nathan Brown as the club’s long-term head coach.

Woolf was offered the Warriors job after the club’s owner Mark Robinson flew to England earlier this month in a bid to convince the St Helens coach to take over the club.

He was the Warriors first choice and the club were prepared to offer him a long-term deal to entice him to New Zealand. However the Tongan coach has knocked back the lucrative multi-year contract after telling the club he was keen on returning to Australia.

The Warriors identified Woolf as their No. 1 target after parting ways with Brown. So much so that Robinson flew to the UK to try and entice Woolf into taking on the job. Stacey Jones has replaced Brown on an interim basis but is unlikely to be given the job permanently.

Woolf’s decision is the first major move in the impending coaching shake-up across the NRL. Three clubs – the Warriors, Tigers and Canterbury – are yet to fill their vacancies.

Woolf has been linked with joining Wayne Bennett as his right-hand man at the Dolphins before taking over when Bennett retires.

However, he is also likely to be considered by the Bulldogs or Tigers – or both – if Cameron Ciraldo opts to remain at Penrith.

Woolf is highly though of given his two-time premiership-winning success at St Helens, and leading Tonga’s revival.

The Warriors will now have to turn their attention elsewhere. Already Ciraldo and premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan have ruled out pursuing the job.

Robinson also all but put a line through Kiwis coach Michael Maguire. Robinson said earlier this month that the South Sydney premiership mentor was not on his club’s radar.

It is understood they are on the lookout for an emerging coach, ruling premiership-winner Paul Green out of the mix. The likes of Josh Hannay, John Morris, Ben Hornby and Dean Young could be potential options.
At least Robinson has been proactive. I'm not sure on Hornby credentials as he was let go by the Dragons as part of the McGregor shake up.

The best option for me is too pursue McNamara..as Hannay and Morris also don't resonate with me.

Maybe Mick Potter could also be a target.

Last edited:
All in on McNamara now
It could be heading that way with McNamara being just about the last man standing now, he has had a stint with the Warriors, maybe get Madge as his assistant as he is the Kiwi coach, we need to go full on with the roster we will have next year, the most important new recruit is the coach and his support staff.
I actually thought his CV looked good especially aligning different cultures.
Realistically not everyone would come to NZ that is why it is better to get buy in.

Reactions: dantheman
It could be heading that way with McNamara being just about the last man standing now, he has had a stint with the Warriors, maybe get Madge as his assistant as he is the Kiwi coach, we need to go full on with the roster we will have next year, the most important new recruit is the coach and his support staff.
I actually thought his CV looked good especially aligning different cultures.
Realistically not everyone would come to NZ that is why it is better to get buy in.
He is a good Hull boy which has a strong connection to New Zealanders.
To me he is the best of of the names listed in the article, except for Dean Young

Reality, our club is a basket case. Owner like a character from Arrested Development, CEO no League credentials.

Common theme no ex league players or competent administrators. Auckland Jockey Club… meh. Ex players need to band together, get the Isiah’s back and build a culture, a team built on accountability and having a fkn go for each other.

It’s been this way since Cleary left, as much as I loathe the guy. Curran, Jazz, build a team around these guys, they have a crack. We will end up with Madge, Barrett or some other sacked assclown whilst Mohawk and Cam are running the asylum.

Matty Elliott, Bluey McLennan, who is the next underwhelming appointment?

Geoff Public

Contributor
Reality, our club is a basket case. Owner like a character from Arrested Development, CEO no League credentials.

Common theme no ex league players or competent administrators. Auckland Jockey Club… meh. Ex players need to band together, get the Isiah’s back and build a culture, a team built on accountability and having a fkn go for each other.

It’s been this way since Cleary left, as much as I loathe the guy. Curran, Jazz, build a team around these guys, they have a crack. We will end up with Madge, Barrett or some other sacked assclown whilst Mohawk and Cam are running the asylum.

You forgot to add a stadium that the council has no love for, etc etc etc.

Big difference between us and the Dogs. If a coach succeeds at the Warriors the kudos is theirs. A coach succeeds at the Dogs, the kudos goes to Gus.

At least the owners trying while he's away. And for that I'll give him credit.

Wouldn't Woolf be in NZ with his team? Mo is in England. But articles are coming out that woolf rejected us, so is CG doing the selling of the dream to prospective coaches?

You forgot to add a stadium that the council has no love for, etc etc etc.

Big difference between us and the Dogs. If a coach succeeds at the Warriors the kudos is theirs. A coach succeeds at the Dogs, the kudos goes to Gus.

At least the owners trying while he's away. And for that I'll give him credit.

The only thing about Dean Young is that he's the ac for the Cowboys and I'm not sure if Toddy would highly recommend us unfortunately.
Agree, and he may want more experience.

The pickings maybe be slim. I'm only suggesting McNamara but is he really on the running for the job. If he isn't, it could be Morris and Hannay as options.

Morris could even be a strong candidate for Tigers...given his history with the club.

Reactions: Worried2Death

It is getting that familiar feel about it as the candidates rule themselves out. I can see it now, Cam will announce they've offered Stacey a long term deal and say we got our man again, and Stace will go on tv and say he's taking the Tigers job.

Help us Steve McNamara, you're our only hope left apparently.