General Co-owner Glenn calls Warriors circumstances diabolical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres an idea. Why dont you two fuckwits sit down with that other fuckwit Owen and discuss the major issues instead of airing more dirty laundry with the biggest fuckwit of them all Tony Veitch?

As much as my nosiness would love to hear your guys rants and excuses your only adding more fuel to the fire. Stop it now before that fire consumes everything and theres nothing left...
Tony Veitch is their go to guy. He is close friends with Scurrah and he is such a sycophant you can guarantee he will be in full support of Scurrahs and his cronies

So what have we achieved? Well we've made Cleary look like the new Wayne Bennett. I always liked Cleary and he always was and will be a decent coach. But the love he's getting now is partly because of US. Because of our failures, not because he's achieved a mile stone or gained a greater acclaim. He in part is looking good because we're looking so bad. Because we've hired two muppets to replace him he's getting the rose tint experience. Now go back into the archives to see how i had respect for Cleary then but no matter how much we make him look good. I still believe he is JUST a decent coach. Until i'm proven wrong i'll believe nothing else.

So what have we achieved? Well we've made Cleary look like the new Wayne Bennett. I always liked Cleary and he always was and will be a decent coach. But the love he's getting now is partly because of US. Because of our failures, not because he's achieved a mile stone or gained a greater acclaim. He in part is looking good because we're looking so bad. Because we've hired two muppets to replace him he's getting the rose tint experience. Now go back into the archives to see how i had respect for Cleary then but no matter how much we make him look good. I still believe he is JUST a decent coach. Until i'm proven wrong i'll believe nothing else.
Absol-fooken-lutely!! Daniel Anderson has far better results. Cleary hasn't done squat with Penrith yet with a so called supercoach mentoring him there as well!

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor

Maty Johns on Sterlo called him the next Bennett, this decades super coach. But he wasnt good enough for the warriors, and to be fair he hasnt won anything, yet

Yet.

The golden word of potential....

I always liked Cleary but have to confess I wasn't overly upset that he left - would I have liked him to stay? Yes, if he turned things around in 2011 (this is how I felt at the time - easy with 20/20 hindsight). Did I understand Scurrah's reluctance to give him more than one season? Not completely, but I could see the logic - given how we were travelling at the time, which wasn't that flash.

macker

Heres an idea. Why dont you two fuckwits sit down with that other fuckwit Owen and discuss the major issues instead of airing more dirty laundry with the biggest fuckwit of them all Tony Veitch?

As much as my nosiness would love to hear your guys rants and excuses your only adding more fuel to the fire. Stop it now before that fire consumes everything and theres nothing left...
I like your sentiment, but I'm in favor of burning the old club to the ground (Metaphorically or course) and building a real one. Out with the board. Scurrah and co. must go.

Thanks Eric, for everything, but leave now otherwise, without Owen to cop some of the flack, all the shits going to be flying in your direction. And that's not something I think you deserve after all you've done for our club. Anyone who can survive in the Freight industry is one tough S.o.a.B. that I wouldn't be too keen on tangling with for any length of time if my main business was the nice, polite, white collar world of finance.

Punching out Rusty Crow was class. I'll be happy to remember you for that, and not all this BS.

Warriors forever.

I like your sentiment, but I'm in favor of burning the old club to the ground (Metaphorically or course) and building a real one. Out with the board. Scurrah and co. must go.

Thanks Eric, for everything, but leave now otherwise, without Owen to cop some of the flack, all the shits going to be flying in your direction. And that's not something I think you deserve after all you've done for our club. Anyone who can survive in the Freight industry is one tough S.o.a.B. that I wouldn't be too keen on tangling with for any length of time if my main business was the nice, polite, white collar world of finance.

Punching out Rusty Crow was class. I'll be happy to remember you for that, and not all this BS.

Warriors forever.

He cant walk away ...there is nobody to buy the Warriors.
Owen full of it...he just wants to sell.

Nobody buys sports franchises.

macker

Nobody buys sports franchises.
Imagine you own a small pizza shop with a guy, who's not your best mate, but you share the company none the less. You decide you want to sell your share in the company.

Do you a) Go to him quietly and say "I'd like to get out of the business, do you want to buy me out, or know anyone who might want in."
or b) Start a massive, public shit fight about how this guy your in business with is a major bullshiting cu** who can't be trusted to do any kind of deals with.

The idea floating around that Owen, (the self made billionaire), wants to sell is not making a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe I'm stupid? But I just can't see it.

Reactions: Dropped Balls

Warriors forever.

I would be happy if another rich owner put their hand up.
However is Glenn really stable ....tought S.O.B he is 75 years old.

My issues is his stability of mind.

What does everyone think of the 4/6 wins target that was given to Matt Elliot?

To me it seems that the club had set lofty standards for the club, which is justified. But on the other hand, this is the NRL, and its a freaking tough and even comp. A competition that has fans from all the clubs thinking they are in with a chance every year, unlike other sports going around.

The following clubs are guaranteed not to have a 4/6 winning rate after their first 6 games:
Roosters
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Raiders
Knights
Sharks

With one game to go, only the Titans coach would have been safe if that target was set for all NRL clubs.

Im sure the actual performances would have had to do with that rate, but its one hell of a task for any coach in this tight comp. I am glad that McFadden hasnt been given such high expectations that he needs to fulfill, but am disappointed that the club thinks that he needs to get the club into the 8 'to be considered' for the role on a permanent basis. We need stability, and we need McFadden to be here for atleast 3 years. Chopping him after this year, whilst brutal and probably fair, is gonna step this club some way back.

History speaks for itself.
20 years in the ARL/NRL
10 coaches. Only 1 that wasnt sacked.
I strongly concur with what you've said here and the examples you give just reinforce the folly of setting a 4/6 ultimatum for Elliot and the " Must make the top eight measure of McFadden.

What these people making these calls have done is they have spent some money on stars like Tomkins and Rising star Bukuya.....they've assumed that will deliver them instant results ( very few new players can sustain instant success beyond an opening game at best.....look at Todd Lowries strong Trial form last year for example )......

They have also looked at the Warriors draw and made predictions based on the form of the Dragons / Eels / Sharks / Cows / Tigers / Dogs in 2013.......based on that we were meant to be in the soft side of the draw......well how about now ?

Well that thinking is just stupid.....every year some teams from the bottom of the comp climb......this is not a static competition.....ergo last year when the new Look Star studded Roosters team struggled in the early rounds....people quickly started to write them off...how did that turn out ?

So Andrew McFadden is being Ultimatumed' with the top eight.....the team he is inheriting is starting out in 13th because of their for and against record. McFaddens team are under a lot of pressure, it makes no sense to me to ramp up the pressure more with ultimatums before the first ball is kicked under McFaddens watch.

What the Warriors should be doing is giving McFadden targets that will turn this team around long term.

How about aiming for eighty minute intensity and being competitive by the final whistle without the top eight threat hanging over your head ?
If Mcfadden can build the team to play tough for eighty , I wouldn't give a stuff if the NRL delivered a bunch of cruel 'almost' wins and they failed to make the finals.....I would be looking at the change in the culture of the team whereby teams have to fight to the last to beat the Warriors.....
If they set the target at eighty minute footy.....and took away the top eight threat......the top eight would take care of itself.

What if the Warriors drop out of the race early and Mcfadden finds the magic ingredient and they come storming home on a string of hard fought wins mixed with some electric footy thrashings to finish ninth ?......what if in the teams last eight games no one can score more than 12 points against them yet the Warriors are out of the eight ?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I dont disagree to some point but the hell if Im going to be happy with another 5 years of mediocrity while we get a new owner, new coach, new roster, blah blah blah. A rebuild would sap a lot of energy and goodwill from a lot of fans. Myself included...

I dont disagree to some point but the hell if Im going to be happy with another 5 years of mediocrity while we get a new owner, new coach, new roster, blah blah blah. A rebuild would sap a lot of energy and goodwill from a lot of fans. Myself included...
Agree a couple of years of crap performances under the premise of rebuilding after 2012 and 2013 is going to extremely frustrating.

Rebuilding periods for every club; with the amount of talent we usually have we should always be able turn things around pretty quickly (example 2001, 2002). We are already a laughing stock with our performances over the last few 20 years considering we are a one team country.

Ditch a few favourites, guys who have been around a while and bring in some more signings to add some enthusiasm to the joint and some steal to our defence. We don't produce to many halves we missed a chance at a premiership with our last one, it would be disappointing if we don't challenge for one during Johnsons career.

We don't want to be rebuilding while we have both Johnson and Tomkins under contract. That's an arse backwards situation only this club could manage.:mad:

The frustrating thing of this whole week David Smith has been sitting on the board meetings for the Sydney clubs. Having to mediate infighting between to historical clubs who can't work as one entity after nearly 15 years, restructure Cronulla after governance issues. We were one of the clubs that didn't need any babysitting as the privately owned clubs were used as an example of a better structure than the traditional leagues club struggling to fund a footy club. Well that all came crashing down pretty quickly didn't it.:rolleyes:

We had the big press conference a few years back which has been a bit of a joke with the press and the results since then have been the opposite of the owners ambition. Well one promise from that meeting was that money was going to be pumped into the club and they have done that with the facilities etc.

Whoever ends up owning the club and buys out the other owner needs to use their money and pump some money into the club to fix the issues from this week. If we stick with McFadden hire him assistants, hire a coaching director to mentor him and develop coaches, an arse kicking CEO would help.

Imagine you own a small pizza shop with a guy, who's not your best mate, but you share the company none the less. You decide you want to sell your share in the company.

Do you a) Go to him quietly and say "I'd like to get out of the business, do you want to buy me out, or know anyone who might want in."
or b) Start a massive, public shit fight about how this guy your in business with is a major bullshiting cu** who can't be trusted to do any kind of deals with.

The idea floating around that Owen, (the self made billionaire), wants to sell is not making a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe I'm stupid? But I just can't see it.

The problem with your comparison is that the public outside of the area the small pizza shop serves wouldn't give a flying whatzit about the shop or the owners, so it wouldn't become a massive, public shit fight because there wouldn't be much of a public to watch. But still, a) seems a more grown up, mature way of dealing with that situation than b) which is (size of the public aside) airing issues in public. Which might inflame your partner and make things even less pleasant.

Bet the NZRFU want Owen to stay in or have to take a financial drubbing in selling his shares. The Warriors really have gone down since he invested in mid 2012... For the NZRFU, It's the gift that keeps giving.

Far Away Fan

Er, no.

Owen comes over as a very genuine man and he said very clearly in his radio interview the other day that he would buy Eric out if they could agree a price.
I hope they do and he does.

The link to the interview is on page 21 of this thread. It's very revealing.
Also, his thoughts on footballing matters tally very well with what just about everyone on here says.

macker

I hear what your saying, and I don't like the idea of a rebuild either. But we're on a downward spiral right now, with some periods of good form to keep us all "Keeping the Faith". But if we continue along as we are, in 5 years we wont have a club at all.

We need to move now, so that we aren't stuck in a worse situation 12 mts down the track. Hard to do, but there really isn't any other option in my mind.

macker

Er, no.

Owen comes over as a very genuine man and he said very clearly in his radio interview the other day that he would buy Eric out if they could agree a price.
I hope they do and he does.

The link to the interview is on page 21 of this thread. It's very revealing.
Also, his thoughts on footballing matters tally very well with what just about everyone on here says.
Owens openly admitted that he isn't a football expert. He's a fan with a massive bank roll. If I was to take that on face value then I'd expect him to appoint some real rugby league experts to the head office. It's not like he can't afford to hire whoever he wants.

Reactions: 1 person

macker

The problem with your comparison is that the public outside of the area the small pizza shop serves wouldn't give a flying whatzit about the shop or the owners, so it wouldn't become a massive, public shit fight because there wouldn't be much of a public to watch. But still, a) seems a more grown up, mature way of dealing with that situation than b) which is (size of the public aside) airing issues in public. Which might inflame your partner and make things even less pleasant.

Bet the NZRFU want Owen to stay in or have to take a financial drubbing in selling his shares. The Warriors really have gone down since he invested in mid 2012... For the NZRFU, It's the gift that keeps giving.
"Scurrah trimmed the first grade squad when Brian "Bluey" McClennan arrived as the new coach in 2012. McClennan has admitted making mistakes in his short tenure, but he may have been a victim of Scurrah's determination to keep the books and himself looking good in Watson's eyes.

McClennan was desperate for his dream job, maybe too desperate, and did not stand up against this debilitating cost-cutting. Perhaps he also naively underestimated the toughness of the NRL competition, as shown by his decision to delay the start of pre-season training. Hart - a clever communicator and forceful personality - was no longer there to provide checks and balances against acts such as foolish book balancing.

Massive amounts of NRL first-grade experience and utility value exited in the form of Lance Hohaia and others. When injuries hit in 2012, young players and a rookie NRL coach were left exposed. The rot had set in." NZ Herald today.

I'm not saying Glenn is the new messiah, but he is a change from the old ways that's for sure. And how bad can it be having a guy who can afford to buy the Mount outright?

Reactions: Navigator

macker

I would be happy if another rich owner put their hand up.
However is Glenn really stable ....tought S.O.B he is 75 years old.

My issues is his stability of mind.
On what basis are you making this accusation? If anyone is being unstable, it's Watson. He's the guy pushing for different team colors that match every different can of Lynx Deodorant. That's not what sane football fans do.

Keep digging.

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
"Scurrah trimmed the first grade squad when Brian "Bluey" McClennan arrived as the new coach in 2012. McClennan has admitted making mistakes in his short tenure, but he may have been a victim of Scurrah's determination to keep the books and himself looking good in Watson's eyes.

McClennan was desperate for his dream job, maybe too desperate, and did not stand up against this debilitating cost-cutting. Perhaps he also naively underestimated the toughness of the NRL competition, as shown by his decision to delay the start of pre-season training. Hart - a clever communicator and forceful personality - was no longer there to provide checks and balances against acts such as foolish book balancing.

Massive amounts of NRL first-grade experience and utility value exited in the form of Lance Hohaia and others. When injuries hit in 2012, young players and a rookie NRL coach were left exposed. The rot had set in." NZ Herald today.

I'm not saying Glenn is the new messiah, but he is a change from the old ways that's for sure. And how bad can it be having a guy who can afford to buy the Mount outright?
I see it the same way a new board and our own home ground sounds like the way to go for the future.

macker

I see it the same way a new board and our own home ground sounds like the way to go for the future.
Price is my favourite to be in there somewhere. And bring back John Heart. These guys love football more than Jersey sales.

And if Glenns backing the club, we can have to confidence to go hard at winning, and don't have to worry about playing games all over the country, flogging the players with extra travel on top of what's already the worst travel scheduled in the NRL, just to boost merch sales.

Reactions: Navigator
Status
Not open for further replies.