General Co-owner Glenn calls Warriors circumstances diabolical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression the email from Glen is legit, but being taken out of context. Soemthing he said in the interview hinted to me that he has lost control of the trust that has taken ownership of club. More that he needs to distance himself from that trust than that he wants to distance himself from the club.

Wasn't Moles announcement that Elliot was fired BEFORE the game?

If that were true and it were me, I would not be acting honourably. At half time when I realised these guys were making sure the nails were hammered home in my coffin, I would done as much as possible to appear to be acting normal and then after half time, used every interchange available to wreck the game. But thats just me.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Chairman Bill Wavish feels the heat as pressure builds on New Zealand Warriors to turn fortunes around
April 10, 2014 - 7:39PM
1397122768585.jpg-620x349.jpg

New coach Andrew McFadden has inherited a Warriors team in turmoil. Photo: Getty Images

Warriors chairman Bill Wavish has conceded his head is on the chopping block, along with that of acting coach Andrew McFadden, if the team fails to make the finals.

As the infighting among the Warriors' owners and management over the sacking of coach Matthew Elliott continues, Wavish said that McFadden would need to steer the team into the play-offs to be considered for the job on a permanent basis after being appointed in a caretaker role for the remainder of the season.

1397122768851.jpg-300x0.jpg

Warriors chairman Bill Wavish. Photo: Jesse Marlow

Other revelations included:

* Elliott being set the task of winning the majority of the Warriors' first six games to retain his job;

* an ultimatum to "resign or be terminated" being given to Elliott after last Saturday night's 37-6 loss to Cronulla;

* Elliiott having agreed to hand over the coaching job to McFadden at the end of the season; and,

* co-owner Eric Watson offering $1 million to buy back the 50 per cent stake in the Warriors he sold to Owen Glenn for $6.15 million.

Wavish said McFadden had not yet been set a target of wins required to keep the job but unless the Warriors made the finals there would be even more significant changes at the club.

"We would certainly expect him to make the eight, no question about that," Wavish told Radio Sport. "We haven't sat down and defined targets but the expectation is that he will get in the eight. If we are not in the eight you had better come and find out if they have got confidence in me as well.

"We are absolutely convinced as a board that we have made the right decision. If we fail then I think my head will be on the block."

Elliott issued a statement on Thursday confirming the succession plan for McFadden to take over at the end of the season and detailing the conversation he had with Wavish on Sunday that led to him "resigning" after just five rounds.

However, Watson confirmed Elliott didn't have a choice.

"Frankly, yes Matt could resign or his employment would be terminated. One way or another he was going," Watson said.

"In my view, the club's view, the board's view, Matt needed to move on and Andrew needed to take over. This is not the start we wanted but we have got two wins, we are not far from the eight and we can get into the eight."

Watson also indicated that if the Warriors won at Cronulla, Elliott would have needed another win over the Bulldogs this weekend to save his job.

"If they had beaten the Sharks he would probably still be the coach," Watson said "The target set was to win the majority of the first half dozen games and they are not going to do that."

Glenn said he had offered to buy out Watson's shareholding but when Watson named his price it was "grossly excessive". Glenn then offered to sell his share to Watson but he said negotiations ceased after Watson offered $1 million for the 50 per cent share he paid $6.15 million for in 2012.

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...unes-around-20140410-zqt7j.html#ixzz2yTvDTqXM

Reactions: Hmmmteresting

tajhay

🏉
What does everyone think of the 4/6 wins target that was given to Matt Elliot?

To me it seems that the club had set lofty standards for the club, which is justified. But on the other hand, this is the NRL, and its a freaking tough and even comp. A competition that has fans from all the clubs thinking they are in with a chance every year, unlike other sports going around.

The following clubs are guaranteed not to have a 4/6 winning rate after their first 6 games:
Roosters
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Raiders
Knights
Sharks

With one game to go, only the Titans coach would have been safe if that target was set for all NRL clubs.

Im sure the actual performances would have had to do with that rate, but its one hell of a task for any coach in this tight comp. I am glad that McFadden hasnt been given such high expectations that he needs to fulfill, but am disappointed that the club thinks that he needs to get the club into the 8 'to be considered' for the role on a permanent basis. We need stability, and we need McFadden to be here for atleast 3 years. Chopping him after this year, whilst brutal and probably fair, is gonna step this club some way back.

History speaks for itself.
20 years in the ARL/NRL
10 coaches. Only 1 that wasnt sacked.

20 years in the ARL/NRL

I agree with your point.

But it's a 'Results' business. Par for the Course, really.

We're damn lucky the NRL is 'Franchise' based , and not Promotion/Relegation !!

Who knows where we'd be now !

To me it seems that the club had set lofty standards for the club, which is justified. But on the other hand, this is the NRL, and its a freaking tough and even comp. A competition that has fans from all the clubs thinking they are in with a chance every year, unlike other sports going around.

The following clubs are guaranteed not to have a 4/6 winning rate after their first 6 games:
Roosters
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Raiders
Knights
Sharks

With one game to go, only the Titans coach would have been safe if that target was set for all NRL clubs.

Im sure the actual performances would have had to do with that rate, but its one hell of a task for any coach in this tight comp. I am glad that McFadden hasnt been given such high expectations that he needs to fulfill, but am disappointed that the club thinks that he needs to get the club into the 8 'to be considered' for the role on a permanent basis. We need stability, and we need McFadden to be here for atleast 3 years. Chopping him after this year, whilst brutal and probably fair, is gonna step this club some way back.

20 years in the ARL/NRL

I think it's pretty obvious that they set those kinds of goals in order to setup a win/win situation for the club. It was pretty clear that ME was on the way out... If we were to take anything OG says with any credibility, then EW had already decided before the start of the year that ME was going to go (coincidentally, on the back of the fact that EW said he talked to senior players, we can only assume that part, perhaps a large part, of why MEs fate was sealed was precisely because of what the players thought of him... Despite the line the players are sticking to)... Thus issuing this kind of performance ultimatum was win/win for Warriors management: either they got off to one of the best starts in the clubs history, or they had the ammunition needed to do what they actually wanted to do...

Roosters
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Raiders
Knights
Sharks

Im sure the actual performances would have had to do with that rate, but its one hell of a task for any coach in this tight comp.

20 years in the ARL/NRL

tell me how many of those coaches in your list above had their jobs on the line? none except the titans... and look where that team is now? leading the competition. and where are we? sitting comfortable at 14th with the second worst defensive record in the comp! unfucking believable.

And regarding your question. Absolutely 4/6 wins would have been perfectly reasonable when looking at our schedule before the start of the season. Eels, Dragons and Tigers you would have expected those games to be money in the bank. Sharks, cowboys and bulldogs, At a minimum you would have expected us to win at least one of those games and be competitive in the other two. Yet we have played rubbish football in all 5 games so far this season. And yes, I realise we won against the cowboys and tigers, but anyone watching those games would have seen that rubbish football was played in first and last 20min of the tigers and cowboys games respectively.

i hope McFadden remembers to take the trash out this weekend against the dogs.

Last edited:
I am aware that this is being picky but the email from Owen is headed recruitment, it doesnt mention firing the coach at all. I wonder why they didnt release the email from Wayne to Owen to go with it.

It was also dated Sunday 17 March 2013 (for you completely paranoid fans out there - I did check and the 17th of March last year was a Sunday - ok so I'm a bit paranoid too ;)). It seems odd to release an email over 12 months old to support something completely different.

It's just so hard to know where to go from here. The good news is McFadden and the players are staying out of the media. This resignation/sacking/pushing/quitting thing has been ballsed up by every party..

The good news to come out of this - McFadden knows what he has to do... he has to get us to the 8 to have any chance of keeping the job. Big ask in the current NRL environment, big ask in your first season as head coach, big ask when you've inherited an inconsistent side. Big props to him if he manages it, and for the love of the club - I hope he does. I did notice that there was an expectation that we made the eight, that's not a guarantee in my eyes... so McFadden could potentially guide us to the top 8 - where we haven't been since 2011, and then get given the chop... I wonder how we'd all react to that (at a guess, negatively).

Stuff it, I'm moving into positive mode and putting my lofty $100 in my bookie account on the warriors 13+. Those dogs ain't nothing but big pussy cats ;)

Reactions: Est95

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I think the win 4 out of 6 games got revised to 'next time they roll over for the opposition, you're out' after the eels game, was 'warriors put on notice' really just 'Matt Elliot put on notice'?

Other teams lose games, they don't tend to roll over for the opposition and let themselves be f***ed, to the extent that 'they looked like they threw the match' comes to mind

I agree with your point.

But it's a 'Results' business. Par for the Course, really.

We're damn lucky the NRL is 'Franchise' based , and not Promotion/Relegation !!

Who knows where we'd be now !

If the NRL did have promotion/relegation, maybe we'd have learnt to be more consistant. Or bounced around between the NRL Premier Division and the NRL Division 1 - due to us not being good enough for Premier Division but too good for Division 1.

I'm sure that would play hell with both the owners and sponsers pockets/minds/decisions.

Roosters
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Raiders
Knights
Sharks

20 years in the ARL/NRL

Tajhay, your question about the target lead me down an interesting train of thought:

When you consider the talk about ME's sacking being initiated last November, it seems to me that a season review of some kind last year lead the board/Scurrah/Watson to question whether Matt Elliott should be our coach in 2014 at all.

Instead of sacking him last year, it looks as if they decided to give him another chance, but with a tough enough target that we were either going to be playing damned well to achieve it, which meant he was safe, or have the chance to dump him early enough in the year that we still had the bulk of the season ahead of us to rebuild under McFadden.

The slack performances merely reinforced their original 'sack him' approach.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
It was also dated Sunday 17 March 2013 (for you completely paranoid fans out there - I did check and the 17th of March last year was a Sunday - ok so I'm a bit paranoid too ;)). It seems odd to release an email over 12 months old to support something completely different.

It's just so hard to know where to go from here. The good news is McFadden and the players are staying out of the media. This resignation/sacking/pushing/quitting thing has been ballsed up by every party..

The good news to come out of this - McFadden knows what he has to do... he has to get us to the 8 to have any chance of keeping the job. Big ask in the current NRL environment, big ask in your first season as head coach, big ask when you've inherited an inconsistent side. Big props to him if he manages it, and for the love of the club - I hope he does. I did notice that there was an expectation that we made the eight, that's not a guarantee in my eyes... so McFadden could potentially guide us to the top 8 - where we haven't been since 2011, and then get given the chop... I wonder how we'd all react to that (at a guess, negatively).

Stuff it, I'm moving into positive mode and putting my lofty $100 in my bookie account on the warriors 13+. Those dogs ain't nothing but big pussy cats ;)

NIce catch Jay. I looked a the date but didnt look at the year. a Year old makes it essentially worthless as a statement, who knows whats been said since then. Also shows how petty this is getting by releasing selected emails. The only thing that it does tell us is that Owen and Eric have been fighting for control for over a year now.

Reactions: Dropped Balls
The media at the time made it seem like Glenn is a hot head and wanted Bluey sacked as results weren't good enough. He was there during Elliotts appointment and seems to have gotten attached to Elliott.

It's been posted on here often about Elliott's gift of the gab, it seems to have worked on Glenn.

The email they are using to say Glenn didn't want to be involved with day to day decisions is a bit hard to take as we don't know more details, previous messages, what was happening at that time frame. The subject line is recruitment I would have though most of that would be between Bell, Elliott and Scurrah to decide who we need, who to keep and how to manage the salary cap. They probably would need to email the owner to approve the spending for Tomkins transfer fee.

Like the Chairman said this morning he didn't know what some of the items in Glenn's reply meant, "appropriate court". Watson also said on Wednesday night Glenn didn't want to be involved due to issues with his trust, another like perhaps?

macker

This is my issue though. It should have dealt with in house. A nice little memo to the press stating Wayne Scurrah or Bill Wavish had 'retired' should have been sent out. What Owen Glenn did was completely unprofessional and it beggars belief that he would be so stupid as to air his discontent so publicly. Dirty laundry anyone? Theres a lot of unprofessionalism oozing out of the Warriors from every nook and cranny but for an owner to make such a stinging public statement has only amplified and compounded the situation. Tell me this. If Mainfreight had some internal divisions or the owners were having a hissy fit, would Owen release a memo with the same forceful language? No he wouldnt because he knows his stocks will plummet and the company will suffer a long term setback. Well thats exactly whats happening to our stocks people. His actions have set this clubs public image back a few years.

I'll still a loyal supporter. Not with the brain dead retardedness of the #TrueWarrior philosophy. No. Questions need to be asked and answered. Heads should roll but I'll still be there on Sunday supporting the team. Besides, what the fuck am I suppose to do with all these jerseys???
I think you made a good point about Glenn and his willingness to devalue the stocks of the company. Only thing is that there are only two shareholders, so it doesn't make any financial sense for Glenn to devalue the two shares in the club when he knows there's no way in hell Watson is going to sell for anything less than absolute top dollar.

Maybe that's why Watson has been so hard core pushing Jersey sales, so that he can in fact sell his share for top dollar?

As far as I'm concerned, Watsons done some good things for the club, and some bad things for the club, and now it's time he let someone else have a crack. For all our sake. But he'll only sell if the price is right for him, so we'd better all buy as many jerseys as possible so Watson can get his price.

Reactions: Sup42

There has been much public comment surrounding the club this week. As a valued member it’s important you’re kept updated with the facts.

Tomorrow (Saturday) on Newstalk ZB, club owner Eric Watson and I will be guests on Tony Veitch’s show between 4pm and 5pm. Eric and I will clarify and update the major topics discussed over recent days and will take talkback calls. You can listen on 89.4 FM or via NewstalkZB’s website www.newstalkzb.co.nz

After this we have two exclusive Member-only opportunities.

The first will be at Eden Park on Sunday. Dean Bell will join me in the West Stand Members’ Lounge at 1.30pm straight after the New South Wales Cup game. Sir Peter Leitch will MC. Although time will be limited, we’ll answer as many questions as we can.

The second will be a members-only forum at Mount Smart Stadium’s East Lounge from 6.00pm-8.00pm on Tuesday, April 15. Dean and I will have time to discuss matters in more depth.

To attend the forum on Tuesday evening, please RSVP with how many members will be attending by emailing memberships@warriors.co.nz. Tea and coffee will be provided along with some snacks.

Despite the challenges of this week the club is in great shape with many opportunities ahead of us.

I hope to see you at Eden Park or at next Tuesday’s members-only forum.

Kind regards

Wayne Scurrah
Chief Executive
Vodafone Warriors

Sponsors_Logo_Lock_up_Vert_Black_Line_002b359b4.jpg

From a "Members Email" I've just received​

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Tomorrow (Saturday) on Newstalk ZB, club owner Eric Watson and I will be guests on Tony Veitch’s show between 4pm and 5pm. Eric and I will clarify and update the major topics discussed over recent days and will take talkback calls. You can listen on 89.4 FM or via NewstalkZB’s website www.newstalkzb.co.nz
Heres an idea. Why dont you two fuckwits sit down with that other fuckwit Owen and discuss the major issues instead of airing more dirty laundry with the biggest fuckwit of them all Tony Veitch?

As much as my nosiness would love to hear your guys rants and excuses your only adding more fuel to the fire. Stop it now before that fire consumes everything and theres nothing left...

Status
Not open for further replies.