General Clubs' rebellion threatens future of NRL

playdaball_old

Is this Superleague in reverse all over again??

www,dailytelegraph.com

RUGBY league's hopes of an independent commission are in tatters after the 16 NRL clubs last night issued a $34 million ransom note to News Ltd and the ARL.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the clubs have demanded an extra 55 per cent in funding from next season - a move the NRL said it could not afford.

The threat came in the form of an email sent from South Sydney chairman Nick Pappas on behalf of the clubs to News Ltd, ARL and NRL powerbrokers at 1.39pm yesterday. It insisted on a staggering increase in the clubs' annual grant from $3.85 million to $6 million from 2012.

Given that the NRL has only $18 million in cash reserves, it was last night being considered an attempt to sabotage the formation of the independent commission.

If the demands were met, the new commission would effectively inherit a game drowning in debt.

"You can only draw the conclusion that they are trying to blow the whole thing up before a commission is formed," said one source close to negotiations.

'We aren't sure what they are trying to do but it looks like they are holding us to ransom."

The situation is so sensitive that no key figures were prepared to elaborate on the demand from the clubs when contacted last night. While a News Ltd spokesman refused to comment, it is understood the media organisation is furious at the 11th-hour bid to scuttle the peace process.

Asked if the cash grab from the clubs was an attempt to hijack negotiations, ARL chief executive Geoff Carr would only say: "You can draw whatever conclusion you want. This is at a delicate stage, so for me to make any comment would be inappropriate."

The chairman-elect of the new commission John Grant was equally tightlipped.

"Sorry but I can't offer any comment on your article," he said.

Clearly, the NRL clubs want a guaranteed slice of the potential $1.4 billion bonanza the game will received from its next television broadcast rights deal, which is up for renewal from 2012 onwards.

"However, the clubs are not content to defer a revised funding arrangement until that time," Mr Pappas says in the email obtained by The Daily Telegraph.

As one NRL powerbroker said last night: "We just don't have that amount of money yet."

It has long been hoped that two years of complex negotiations between News Ltd and the ARL would finally result in an independent commission formed on November 1 this year.

In recent months, the major sticking point has been a push from the clubs for News Ltd to agree to a non-compete clause, which would prevent it from trying to form a breakaway competition.

Yet there was no mention about that concern in Mr Pappas's email yesterday and the presumption was it is no longer a condition. In fact, there are fears within News Ltd and the ARL that the clubs could be in negotiations with another entity.

Jesbass_old

I'm not sure that I understand the thinking here, especially if the money isn't actually available.

Are they bluffing in an attempt to force the Independent Commission to form on November 1?

Spence_old

Seems like a weird time to do this. Shouldn't they wait to see how much they get out of the new TV deal first?

mrblonde_old

I'm not sure that I understand the thinking here, especially if the money isn't actually available.

Are they bluffing in an attempt to force the Independent Commission to form on November 1?

It might be a bluff, but I wouldn't be too sure of calling it if I was News Ltd.

If the clubs are serious, News Ltd would find it's sport scheduling rather sad next autumn. Who's going to watch 3 nights of NSW Cup - always assuming associated clubs allow their players to take part in that.

Just hope it's sorted by Christmas. I kinda like two months without league during summer.

PB_old

The clubs want to keep their intellectual property rights as part of the deal. Only the Titans and the Storm own them currently.

Withdrawl would seem to mean that every other team would have to re-brand. Would fans follow a team that had to choose a different colour, name, or logo?

Hmm...

Also, News is being framed as the target/demon here, but their baby is only the non-competition clause. Vital, sure, but all the other demands sit with the ARL and proposed new body as well.

It's not Clubs vs News Ltd. It's Clubs (incl' News-owned entities) vs News Ltd, the ARL, and the Independant Commission.

Last edited by a moderator:

bin fishin_old

Scurrah on radio Sport said its not true...

I think someone is wheeling and dealing!

Est95_old

Is he known as a compulsive liar?

No im being a dick, but sometimes if theres rumours out there Scurrah will say one thing then the next day the complete opposite happens (Cleary leaving for example). Thats just my opinion, im trynna think of other examples to back it up but i cant think of any lol. Somewhere along the way ive learnt to take what Scurrah says with a grain of salt, regardless if i should or not

Jesbass_old

No im being a dick, but sometimes if theres rumours out there Scurrah will say one thing then the next day the complete opposite happens (Cleary leaving for example). Thats just my opinion, im trynna think of other examples to back it up but i cant think of any lol. Somewhere along the way ive learnt to take what Scurrah says with a grain of salt, regardless if i should or not

The only incident I can think of is the Cleary departure, and even that is extremely murky as to whether he lied or not. Listening to what Cleary had to say, Scurrah was truthful, but then things moved really quickly from Gould and the outcome ended up being different to what Scurrah had said.

There are those who would disagree, of course.

And obviously nobody but Scurrah really knows if he's lying, mistaken, or telling the truth. But in my dealings with him, I've learnt to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jesbass_old

Incidentally, this is from the RadioSport website:

Scurrah Denies Breakaway Competition

Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah has flat out denied reports NRL clubs are planning a breakaway competition.

Reports across the Tasman claim all 16 NRL clubs are united in refusing to sign their new membership agreements to play in the 2012 competition.

That's reportedly because they want the annual grant paid to each club almost doubled to $7.5 million.

But Scurrah says, as far as they're aware, a breakaway isn't on the cards.

He says the only break he wants is a holiday and they haven't been involved in any discussions like that.

Scurrah says at the moment it's tough to break even and clubs do want more money.

https://radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spleg/Detail.aspx?id=206685

mrblonde_old

Let me get my Mr Pedantic hat on.

I see no flowing river of denial.

I see a "as far as they are aware", but that to me isn't even a Facebook friend of "flat out denied".

But I think a breakaway is doubtful.

!! It's just hit me !!

Kelly Clarkson, the chick who the NRL had at the Grand Final Sunday 2 October?

Guess what the title of one of Miss/Ms/Mz Clarkson's hits is?

B R - - K - W - -

Would you like to buy a vowel??

Damn Americans, always trying to influence everybody.

Jesbass_old

Let me get my Mr Pedantic hat on.

I see no flowing river of denial.

I see a "as far as they are aware", but that to me isn't even a Facebook friend of "flat out denied".

But I think a breakaway is doubtful.

!! It's just hit me !!

Kelly Clarkson, the chick who the NRL had at the Grand Final Sunday 2 October?

Guess what the title of one of Miss/Ms/Mz Clarkson's hits is?

B R - - K - W - -

Would you like to buy a vowel??

Damn Americans, always trying to influence everybody.

Yes please. I'd like a "P".

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/in_depth/2000/lewis_v_tua/1004232.stm

Northern_Union

The only incident I can think of is the Cleary departure, and even that is extremely murky as to whether he lied or not. Listening to what Cleary had to say, Scurrah was truthful, but then things moved really quickly from Gould and the outcome ended up being different to what Scurrah had said.

There are those who would disagree, of course.

And obviously nobody but Scurrah really knows if he's lying, mistaken, or telling the truth. But in my dealings with him, I've learnt to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And then there was the 'we'll never sign Metcalf', next thing we know Metcalf is a contracted player.

Jesbass_old

And then there was the 'we'll never sign Metcalf', next thing we know Metcalf is a contracted player.

Oh yes, the Metcalf one. I don't know that "next thing we know" is accurate when referring to two incidents several years apart. And of course the 2011 Metcalf isn't the 2004(?) Metcalf.

Probably an error with his initial comment that he probably regretted, but as already stated, the player he said he'd never sign, and the player we have now, (or more importantly, the person we have now), aren't the same.

Northern_Union

Scurrah wasn't around in 2004 so hows he going to make the comment about never siging Metcalf?
As i've said before i'm happy for Metcalf to have a second chance at life but not in a Warriors jersey. He can go drive a taxi or something.
Scurrahs comments were certainly alot closer together than the 2004/2011 time period you're alluding to JJ.

Jesbass_old

I wrote "2004(?)" meaning I wasn't sure of the year.

...actually, I just looked it up, and the attack was in 2003, and Metcalf was sacked in 2004 - a few months after scoring two tries in a 2004 pre-season match, so I should have written 2003 - not 2004.

NRL: Shocking Mistake Put Behind With One-Year Contract

There will be a new boy at Warriors training tomorrow but, unlike most who become fulltime professionals, he is more well-known for what he has done off the field.

Shaun Metcalf was 15 when he and two Warriors development squad team-mates brutally attacked his girlfriend in 2003 in the hope she would miscarry the baby she was carrying. The child survived repeated kicking only because the mother wrapped her arms around her stomach.

It was a shocking crime that not only saw Metcalf spend 5 months in prison but also curtailed what had been a promising rugby league career.

On Thursday he signed a one-year contract with the Warriors as cover for the injured Jerome Ropati, who is out for the season with a knee injury. Metcalf will begin training tomorrow and the club has an option on him for 2012.

It won't be a universally popular decision but the Warriors believe he has paid for his crime and deserves a second chance. The board and management were unanimous in their support of the decision to offer him a contract.

"He paid a pretty big price for what he did," Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said. "He was very young at the time. It was something he will regret forever, but he knows he can't change that. He wants to prove what sort of person he is through his family and footy career.

"For him to come back from where he was to being signed by the Warriors is quite a story and it gives us a lot of satisfaction to give him the chance to take this big step forward. He deserves this opportunity and we'll give him all the support we can."

The Warriors had been in negotiations to sign Metcalf to a part-time contract for the rest of 2011 and then evaluate whether to offer him a full-time deal for 2012. But Ropati's injury accelerated discussions with the 23-year-old centre.

"This is just unbelievable. It means so much to me and to my family and I'm going to do all I can to make the most of it," said Metcalf, in a statement released yesterday.

He now has 6-year-old twins with his long-time partner. The club said he would not be talking to media.

"I'm not proud of my past and I never will be. I can't do anything about that now but what I can do something about - and what I've been trying to do ever since - is to rebuild my life and get it back on track.

"I have so many people to thank for supporting me through this, my partner, our kids, my family and friends and also rugby league itself. I also owe so much to [manager] Frank Endacott, to the Vulcans and to the Warriors for having faith in me."

Endacott signed Metcalf as a 14-year-old and, along with Sonny Fai, was seen as one of the most exciting talents in the country. He was just 16 when he scored two tries in an NRL pre-season match against the Dragons in 2004 but his Warriors contract was terminated a few months later when he was convicted and imprisoned for the attack on his ex-girlfriend.

Although he was cleared by the NZRL to resume playing rugby league in 2005, and he first played for the Auckland Vulcans in 2007, visa restrictions meant he couldn't travel to Australia. That condition was lifted earlier this year and he has played across the Tasman twice this season.

Endacott and Metcalf mapped out a plan this year in the hope of securing an NRL contract in 2012.

"I stuck with him because I have always believed people are allowed one mistake in life and he made his mistake," Endacott said.

"It was a big mistake. He's paid his dues, over and over. It's been eight years since that incident. It's nice to see him get an opportunity now and to make something of his life, because he certainly has off the field.

"I think 99 per cent of people have said, 'hey, let him get on with life'. He has copped more than murderers do."

Metcalf is still said to have some way to go before he is ready to make an NRL debut.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10716790

So all I can conclude from this is either:
A) Michael Brown has his facts wrong
B) The dates are right but the comment was made by someone other than Scurrah as he wasn't with the club at the time
C) The comments were made by Scurrah more than a year after Metcalf played for the club, perhaps amidst some kind of centre crisis

Do you have a link to the original quote?

The closest I can find is this from February 2011: "'It's not something we are considering for now, or for the future. We wish him well for the future and it's good he has the opportunity to play on both sides of the Tasman.''

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...luck-in-nrl-20110219-1b07m.html#ixzz1aXO59e4R

Obviously, that's not "We'll never sign Metcalf".

This is the first time I've seen this quote.