General Club Culture

Jesbass_old

I just thought it was worth noting a couple of things I've observed in the way the club culture has changed since the heady days of Mick Watson's regime.

At the ten pin bowling last week, I saw Ryan Shortland having a great time joking with his team mates, and he was focused on making the grade again in 2008.

Last night, I spoke with Michael Crockett, and he's still working hard to earn re-selection for the top side.

I find this encouraging because both players already know they aren't needed next year. I know that negotiating new contracts with potential future clubs plays a factor here, but seeing the way the 2009 unwanteds were interacting with the players who are here for the long term is refreshing to see in light of some of the stuff we've witnessed at the club in the past. They actually want to play for each other.

Esoj_old

club culture definitely improved a lot with this new management. while we don't always agree on who they sign or decide to let go they are running a very tight ship which is improving the look of the club to the outside. the old regime seemed a bit heavy handed and felt very cold as a fan compared to wayne scurrah leon marsh etc who are very open and actually enjoy hearing what the fans have to say.

raypower_old

Maybe it's cynicism or the desire to argue the other side but surely it's in Crockett's and Shortland's best interests to play for a starting spot as their value as a free agent could only improve if they were able to nail down a starting berth. It's nice to see the interaction between players contracted and uncontracted but the rest of the season is a job interview of sorts for both of them and if were them I'd be trying to break into the starting squad to to maximise my exposure to clubs both local and abroad.

Jesbass_old

club culture definitely improved a lot with this new management. while we don't always agree on who they sign or decide to let go they are running a very tight ship which is improving the look of the club to the outside. the old regime seemed a bit heavy handed and felt very cold as a fan compared to wayne scurrah leon marsh etc who are very open and actually enjoy hearing what the fans have to say.

Yep, approachability has been the hallmark of the new regime. They recognise that no fans equals no club equals no jobs. ;)

Jesbass_old

Maybe it's cynicism or the desire to argue the other side but surely it's in Crockett's and Shortland's best interests to play for a starting spot as their value as a free agent could only improve if they were able to nail down a starting berth. It's nice to see the interaction between players contracted and uncontracted but the rest of the season is a job interview of sorts for both of them and if were them I'd be trying to break into the starting squad to to maximise my exposure to clubs both local and abroad.

Yep, like I said, that's definitely a factor. And if I hadn't seen them interacting the way they were, I'd have said the same thing. But it was the interaction that impressed me - they're still proud to be Warriors.

Skinny_Ravs82

It sounds very encouraging, and its definitely good to see, but I can't help but wonder if that's only in the current situation. What about when they do finally go at seasons end and who knows..letting rip in the media or something. Did Marto and Anderson do that when they left?

Iafeta_old

If only they'd respond to their emails?

Otherwise, going good enough. Still a long road to hoe though to turn the club into a consistently profitable and results driven organisation I feel, but to be fair they didn't have a lot to start off with given what they inherited.

Jesbass_old

If only they'd respond to their emails?

Otherwise, going good enough. Still a long road to hoe though to turn the club into a consistently profitable and results driven organisation I feel, but to be fair they didn't have a lot to start off with given what they inherited.

Yeah, a bit bummed about that. And surprised.

aussie_warrior_old

Well, I agree with you to a point. But I will say that if you are purely playing for your own interests you wouldn't be at Ten Pin Bowling nights and been seen to be proactive and genuine in your comments. So although I wasn't there, I agree it would be a factor but not really a big one.

attila_the_gorilla

Well I guess players are like the rest of us, they like to enjoy their time off work, have a bit of fun, relax in friendly company, I`m sure it`s not a burden to go 10 pin bowling. I reckon they don`t even need to pay themselves hehe.