General Club Culture Part 4: The Kearney Era

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I'll be interested to see the team round one, think it will be pretty telling as to who is buying into the new culture and who isn't

Reactions: 3 users
Miket12

Miket12

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/kear...74010912640148&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

Kearney wasn’t ready for Eels job’
By Greg Prichard
December 29, 2016

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle says the difference between coach Stephen Kearney now compared to when he was previously in charge of an NRL club at Parramatta is that he is “ready”.

“Stephen has come from being first and foremost with Craig Bellamy at Melbourne, then taking on a head coach’s job at Parramatta, when he himself, with the experience he has had since then, realised it was a bit too early for him,” Doyle says.

“Similar to what we had with ‘Cappy’ (Andrew McFadden) here, a bit too early, and then Stephen learning more with Wayne Bennett (at Brisbane), he’s really ready.”

Kearney coached the Eels in the 2011 season and for most of 2012, before he was sacked. The team won just 10 of 42 games under him.

He coached the New Zealand national team as well, from 2008 until the recent Four Nations tournament, before starting at the Warriors in place of McFadden, who is now one of his assistants.

Doyle says it is about giving the head coach the proper support as the Warriors try to find their way back to finals football in 2017.

“Rather than thinking it’s all about the head coach, we’ve thought more about the coaching staff and creating a really strong coaching staff and with Cappy there we’ve got continuity and we’ve brought in Steve McNamara, an international coach who has been with the Roosters.

“These things are really important and you can see in the pre-season, with the coaching group working together, things are stepping up.”

Reactions: 1 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/kear...74010912640148&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

Kearney wasn’t ready for Eels job’
By Greg Prichard
December 29, 2016

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle says the difference between coach Stephen Kearney now compared to when he was previously in charge of an NRL club at Parramatta is that he is “ready”.

“Stephen has come from being first and foremost with Craig Bellamy at Melbourne, then taking on a head coach’s job at Parramatta, when he himself, with the experience he has had since then, realised it was a bit too early for him,” Doyle says.

“Similar to what we had with ‘Cappy’ (Andrew McFadden) here, a bit too early, and then Stephen learning more with Wayne Bennett (at Brisbane), he’s really ready.”

Kearney coached the Eels in the 2011 season and for most of 2012, before he was sacked. The team won just 10 of 42 games under him.

He coached the New Zealand national team as well, from 2008 until the recent Four Nations tournament, before starting at the Warriors in place of McFadden, who is now one of his assistants.

Doyle says it is about giving the head coach the proper support as the Warriors try to find their way back to finals football in 2017.

“Rather than thinking it’s all about the head coach, we’ve thought more about the coaching staff and creating a really strong coaching staff and with Cappy there we’ve got continuity and we’ve brought in Steve McNamara, an international coach who has been with the Roosters.

“These things are really important and you can see in the pre-season, with the coaching group working together, things are stepping up.”
Worse than that the Eels were a disaster anyway. SK made a mistake by taking the opportunity but he must have learned something from it.

Reactions: 1 user

Moorsy

I like the concept of above the line, because it should create a common language for all of the players and staff. Clarity of goals and roles people play are vital to a constructive culture, and so the common understanding for everyone will be very important. Unfortunately it will all go out the window if it is just simply rhetoric as there needs to be substance to what we are hearing. I am confident in SK though, I like what I am hearing, and once again hope is building...(always happens at this time of year...). Cannot wait for round one.

diehard

I like the concept of above the line, because it should create a common language for all of the players and staff. Clarity of goals and roles people play are vital to a constructive culture, and so the common understanding for everyone will be very important. Unfortunately it will all go out the window if it is just simply rhetoric as there needs to be substance to what we are hearing. I am confident in SK though, I like what I am hearing, and once again hope is building...(always happens at this time of year...). Cannot wait for round one.
I like "Above the Line" too. Especially because they evaluate it for every activity, and they evaluate each other. Can only improve mental toughness and standards.

Jordan G

I like "Above the Line" too. Especially because they evaluate it for every activity, and they evaluate each other. Can only improve mental toughness and standards.

After looking at a couple of pre-season photos I can expertly conclude that this is indeed the case. ;)

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I like the concept of above the line, because it should create a common language for all of the players and staff.
It is hype style slogan. I have nothing against it except a professional should be doing that anyway. SK was noted as being like that even when he was a teenager. So on that basis I think it is ok, but I am still on edge until the final trial.

brightman

brightman

After looking at a couple of pre-season photos I can expertly conclude that this is indeed the case. ;)
So what, all anyone cares about these days is if KF's new gal is "above the line".

Best get on twitter Jordan G and catch up...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Worse than that the Eels were a disaster anyway. SK made a mistake by taking the opportunity but he must have learned something from it.
You are being kind. Eels were complete shithouse on and off the field. Anyone ever wanna a case study for player power then look no further then that particular Eels team. Nathan Hindmarsh made his feelings on Kearney known with his passive aggressive comments and rolling his eyes in post match press conferences alongside Kearney.

Still have absolutely no idea how SK will fare here but the Eels stint shouldn't serve as an indicator on what we can expect here at the Warriors...

Reactions: 4 users
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

You are being kind. Eels were complete shithouse on and off the field. Anyone ever wanna a case study for player power then look no further then that particular Eels team. Nathan Hindmarsh made his feelings on Kearney known with his passive aggressive comments and rolling his eyes in post match press conferences alongside Kearney.

Still have absolutely no idea how SK will fare here but the Eels stint shouldn't serve as an indicator on what we can expect here at the Warriors...

Agreed. Again I don't know how true this is but I remember reading in RLW that towards the end of his tenure at Eels, Kearney and Hindmash weren't even on speaking terms with one or two of their senior players acting as go between, between the two. Then there was board most of them doing everything they could to undermine him and his coaching decisions. Plus CEO. With everything going against him can really blame him that they couldn't play as cohesive unit ? Parramatta Eels have always had their problems but don't get sucked into thinking that Mooks was one of them ... :(

Reactions: 2 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

SK is not the issue here. It is whether the numpties will buckle down and play week in and week out. Do their job in other words.

Surely the club's recent record should be enough for these guys to turn it round. Don't they have any pride.? I call bullshit on any more motivation needed. I like others grit my teeth at the 'hardest pre season ever' and similar soundbite comments.

Kind messages and buzzwords aren't what these pricks need, it is stockwhips and tasers. Physical softness is a comparatively easy fix, mental softness is a lot more difficult.

Broadly the role of a club and Coaches is to provide the best environment, tools and training for the team to succeed, in general it appears the club has generally delivered, now it is time for the team to grow a pair and perform consistently.

Reactions: 3 users
BeastMode

BeastMode

What's this new line everyone keeps talking about? I cant see any line?!!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
SK is not the issue here. It is whether the numpties will buckle down and play week in and week out. Do their job in other words.

Surely the club's recent record should be enough for these guys to turn it round. Don't they have any pride.? I call bullshit on any more motivation needed. I like others grit my teeth at the 'hardest pre season ever' and similar soundbite comments.

Kind messages and buzzwords aren't what these pricks need, it is stockwhips and tasers. Physical softness is a comparatively easy fix, mental softness is a lot more difficult.

Broadly the role of a club and Coaches is to provide the best environment, tools and training for the team to succeed, in general it appears the club has generally delivered, now it is time for the team to grow a pair and perform consistently.
Like it or not some of the team don't respond to Australian methods of communication. If SK cannot get the pussies to play to their ability then it certainly won't be his fault. It will be time for a cleanout. I am sure JD and EW know that and it is probably already being planned. This season might fire into something but my guess is that JD has a long term plan. We certainly won't have an overweight and unfit hooker calling out the coach this year. In hindsight with that happening last season it is a wonder they got as far as they did.

diehard

Not sure what you mean. Are we indeed "Above the Line" in pre-season? I just hope that line is at the correct height and not imaginary.

Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Like it or not some of the team don't respond to Australian methods of communication. If SK cannot get the pussies to play to their ability then it certainly won't be his fault. It will be time for a cleanout. I am sure JD and EW know that and it is probably already being planned. This season might fire into something but my guess is that JD has a long term plan. We certainly won't have an overweight and unfit hooker calling out the coach this year. In hindsight with that happening last season it is a wonder they got as far as they did.

Yeah but in all honesty mate if that's what the club is planning to do with their players then they should do it now. 2017 is not the year to fuck around ... :(

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Yeah but in all honesty mate if that's what the club is planning to do with their players then they should do it now. 2017 is not the year to fuck around ... :(
They are signed to contracts and the payroll unfortunately. I remember hearing on Sky's NRL show last year that JD was livid about some of the signings he inherited. How true that is can only be guessed at, mind you Luke was a JD signing as well. I bet there is a short list already of guys for the chop when their contracts are up.

diehard

They are signed to contracts and the payroll unfortunately. I remember hearing on Sky's NRL show last year that JD was livid about some of the signings he inherited. How true that is can only be guessed at, mind you Luke was a JD signing as well. I bet there is a short list already of guys for the chop when their contracts are up.
Did JD say who he was livid with? Any guesses?

Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Oh right. Got you. Thanks. Godamn 2017 is going to be a long year ... :(

Last edited:
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Did JD say who he was livid with? Any guesses?
It was Steven McIvor quoting an off the record discussion he had with JD. I am not sure the word was livid, but was something as bad.He was obviously talking about departed management, probably Dean Bell. There were no names mentioned so the jersey salesman might have been in his thoughts as well.