General Club Culture Part 4: The Kearney Era

brightman

brightman

I am really excited to see how Kearney shapes the team, what influence will his exposure and experience with the Kiwis, Broncos and Storm have on our strategy and do we have the players to put it to good effect..

Obviously it all starts up front and our forwards have not been as dominant as they need to be. Will Kearney's presence and coaching be enough? I think so but we have to keep improving even if that means letting go senior players to accomodate better younger prospects. Lillyman and Hoffman need to make way for Sipley and Afoa but that means Matulino, Vete and Lisone have to step up. If they don't then JD will have to work his magic and recruit an established player who can eg. Taumalolo or JWH

That's how I see it going down up front, the backs will be fine with Foran anchoring an already impressive line-up consisting of Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Fusitua and Kata. I predict Manu will retire at the end of next season, but will he be able to keep his wing until then? I think not and maybe it is an opportunity for someone like Junior Pauga to stake a claim to FG with Tui moving on to free up cap space for KF.

We'll make the top 6 on the back of a big improvement in defense and a lot less dropped balls unleashing our lethal backs but we won't advance past the preliminary finals. That will only advance the adoption of Kearney's regime and 2018 will see more youth consolidate the gains made previously.

Tony Martin

Tony Martin

Our forwards need to beef up

Who is the strength and conditioning coach again? Cuples?

Taukiaho was once another lean warriors forward. Within 2 years he was the same shape as taumalolo

A few forwards like lisone could really benefit from some more size

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
The video of Kearney and Bennett from the coaching seminar showed me a real steel about Kearney. Apparently it was Bennett who approached Kearney to help with the Kiwis.
I posted that video last year and my understanding was that the NZRL approached Bennett to be coach but declined but offered his services in an advisory role???

Jay M

Jay M

Jonathan Thurston for mine. Probably the most competitive person I have ever seen play. Guy hates to lose. At anything. He gets pissed off if his grubber kick goes too far. He's always chasing players even if they are guaranteed to score. True competitor...

One of the most interesting interviews I ever saw on rugby league was several years back with Cameron Smith. The interviewer asked him what it's like to play with Thurston...

Smith thinks about it for awhile, and says "it's like playing rugby league with a six year old".

The interviewer said something like "isn't that a bit disrespectful?"

Smith then clarified "I meant it as a compliment. He's the guy that has to be here, there everywhere. He runs around, following the ball. He's always pushing up in support. He's always pushing into first receiver. Wrapping around plays he doesn't need to when the ball is going to ground. He's the guy that is always chasing back to cut off the angle on a try even when the game is not in the balance. Remember that six year olds run everywhere following the ball. That's JT".

Reactions: 1 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I posted that video last year and my understanding was that the NZRL approached Bennett to be coach but declined but offered his services in an advisory role???
You might recall it better than me, but Kearney definitely said in front of Benney that he didn't want to be number two.

diehard

NRL: Warriors striving to stay 'above the line' under new coach Stephen Kearney
1:07 PM Sunday Dec 18, 2016
Warriors_props_train_620x310.gif

Warriors front-rower Albert Vete, Sam Lisone and Charlie Gubb are put through their paces. Photo / Photosport.

The Warriors are learning that doing just enough is not good enough for new coach Stephen Kearney.

Two months after Kearney's arrival at the Warriors, players and club staff are coming to grips with his high expectations which are summed up within the phrase 'above the line'.

The slogan defines the former Kiwis coach's intent to raise the player's standards of performance and work ethic and improve the club's culture, encapsulating his demands for them to work harder, do better, and achieve more than what has previously been expected of them.

"The key thing is that Stephen's brought with him a phrase that he uses, which goes across the whole organisation, which is 'above the line'," explained Warriors managing director Jim Doyle in a end of year video address to club members.

"He sets standards and every day, every player needs to be above the line.

And that's for players but also for staff - that they need to be above the line - that they're constantly being better than standard."

More than just a motto, Kearney makes the playing group accountable to the phrase following every team exercise or activity both on and off the field.

Players know that producing simply what's required to get through training is unacceptable and are being driven to continually strive to put in greater effort and be more professional in every aspect of their work.

"Stephen measures them after a field session, asks them all individually 'who do you think was above the line' and he gives them his feedback," said Doyle.

"After a gym session, who was above the line? After a community session, who was above the line? So we're really driving that aspect of things.

"He's brought that and that's a significant aspect that the players can see that there's a higher standard and higher accountability than there's been previously, which is a real positive."

Doyle is satisfied with the early signs of change within the player's improved attitudes and approach to training, even with several senior team members absent as they recover from offseason surgery or enjoy a break following the Kiwis Four Nations campaign.

"Some of the players that are on the field are really raising the intensity. Their fitness, their body composition and things, are really good.

"In the rehab group we've still got people like Simon (Mannering), Hoffy's (captain Ryan Hoffman) been in there, Benny Mat's (Matulino), Kieran's (Foran) in there. Roger's (Tuivasa-Sheck) just come out of there.

"So there's still a lot of experience that's not back yet, with the Kiwi boys. But overall - I just watched the players do their first opposed session the other night - and you can see the speed, the intensity, is really stepping up.

"It's still very early yet but it's certainly heading in the right direction."

As the player's look forward to a few days off over Christmas, Kearney is "pretty comfortable" with what's been achieved throughout their first block of training and conditioning.

"They've worked really well," he told The Herald. "There's been things along the way both in defence and attack that we've implemented.

"I've been comfortable with how the group's been tracking."

Foran_Warriors_head.gif

The Warriors hope Kieran Foran's playing contract will be registered by teh NRL early in the new year. Photo / Photosport.
Meanwhile, work continues between the club and NRL as the Warriors seek to have Kieran Foran's playing contract approved for next season with an outcome anticipated in the New Year.

"That's progressing well," said Doyle. "It will take a bit of time as we've always said it would do.

"Kieran's working continuously through some of the personal issues he's had and every day, every week, every month, getting better.

"So he's certainly headed in the right direction. We would anticipate that (contract registration) taking place next year."

Reactions: 4 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Interesting article and a clear signal as to not only what culture Kearney is setting but how he is going about achieving it.

ABOVE THE LINE...

Reactions: 3 users

diehard

I love it, but it's pretty arbitrary what's considered ABOVE THE LINE. The positive is that since no one knows what's ABOVE THE LINE, hopefully everyone will go full out, hoping they were ABOVE THE LINE.

Reactions: 1 user
snake77

snake77

Sounds better than what we usually get which is fall out of line.

We have heard a lot about lifting standards previously. Pretty much at the start of any era. At the moment its a nice slogan, lets hope the slogan turns into something.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

kabkram

That approach may not be too strange these days but we're talking about the mid 90's when players would hydrate with a lazy 6 pack of beer as soon as they left the field
Beer actually hydrates you faster than water scientific fact SK must've been on the cutting edge of pseudo science :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Beer actually hydrates you faster than water scientific fact SK must've been on the cutting edge of pseudo science :eek:
Dick Quax and John Walker used to go to the pub for a beer after their distance training. The theory was that beer contains a lot of minerals that help the body recover. I don't know about that. I could never drink much beer after a game, I needed something sweet. Beer is bad for your liver as well.

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Not sure if I like above the line. Keep the faith is long gone but above the line is better. Just depends if the line is very low

• Haha
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Like the sounds of it, I wonder if Kearney tried this with Hindmarsh and Hayne etc in 2011/12?

I doubt they listened.

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Anyone interested in reedaing about living above or below the line see the link below. Good philosophy and outlook...
There is a fine line between hype and philosophy. Some of our players obviously don't like being told to pull their finger out but I still back Kearney to get the message across.