General Club Culture Part 4: The Kearney Era

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
That sort of culture identity may work well for the national team but it has no place whatsoever in the Warriors team unless you wanna get all one worldish and find a common ground amongst all the cultures represented in the Warriors.
There are different cultures in Oz. Manly are hated by everybody in Sydney and thrive on it, the Bulldogs have always been the cliquey "family" club who have a healthy chip on their shoulder. Souths have a local culture based around the locals in Redfern. Kearney grew up in the Aussie system. The way he was taught by coaches like Warren Ryan, who hated Kiwis (read Garry Freeman's book) will enable him to treat the local boys with respect but not molly coddle them. My persistent worry is that Mark Graham was a similar type but didn't succeed either.

Reactions: Sup42

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
turn up to pre season in shape, work hard and do extras, practice skills in own time, keep improving skills and perform them under pressure and fatigue. Understand your role is to improve the team performance. A;ways respect the opprtunity you have, and number one.

Don't be a dickhead, don't join or create cliques.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
If we're looking at the basic culture of the club then it has to be kiwi based. 90% of the fans are kiwis, who live and breathe kiwi culture. So that's a no brainer for me. Players coming in from other cultures should be adoptive of the kiwi way or play for another club IMO. There's plenty of options.

As for the culture of excellence and the culture of performance. Those two things have zero to do with national identity and everything to do with individual desire. Players have to want to be all they can be, every single game, no matter what. That premiership ring has to be their only major goal in footy. Cause if it aint, they sure as aren't going to get one by accident.

If SK can get them all wanting that then he's off to a good start IMO.

Reactions: pantera nhl

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I hope Kearney is able to take out players who dont fit his system including staff under him & create a
positive atmosphere for one & all
If the rumours of a split in the team are true then he has a job in front of him because there seems quite a bit of support for Cappy.

pantera nhl

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 12, 2016
If the rumours of a split in the team are true then he has a job in front of him because there seems quite a bit of support for Cappy.
I hear you maybe keeping cappy was the wrong thing but thats the managements choice
An thats why i said Kearney needs to put his foot down
Cant afford to have players or other personal running his team time & time again

Reactions: bruce

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
This is the 'culture' this thread is here to discuss...

Warriors players lack belief, says Sir Graham Henry
Last updated 14:22, September 17 2016
1474080947133.jpg

Sir Graham Henry has joined former NFL coach Eric Mangini and ex-Warrior Awen Guttenbeil on the club's new football advisory board.

Sir Graham Henry has questioned the belief in the Warriors' playing ranks as the club embarks on yet another new era under incoming coach Stephen Kearney.

After advising Andrew McFadden in a support role earlier this year, the former All Blacks coach has joined the Warriors' new football advisory board that was announced this week along with the coaching changes.

McFadden was replaced by Kearney in the head coaching position, but kept on as an assistant, after the club missed the finals for the fifth-straight year.

But while long-suffering Warriors supporters would surely settle for an eighth-place finish in 2017, Henry says Kearney needs to set about creating an environment that strives for greatness.

"The expectation must be that this side can do the business, can win the NRL - you don't hear that a lot. Maybe that's a weakness," Henry told Newstalk ZB.

"I think there's a lot of work to be done in that area.

"There needs to be a higher expectation (within the club)."

Along with Henry, the advisory board also includes former NFL coach Eric Mangini, ex-Warrior Awen Guttenbeil and club director Owen Eastwood.

Henry hopes they can help develop a culture at Mt Smart which is driven by more than just results on the field.

Citing his experience with the All Blacks, he said they are motivated by self-improvement which dictates everything they do.

"I think the (Warriors) players are hung-up about winning and losing and when the pressure gets on they get tight and don't play as well as they should," Henry added on Newstalk ZB.

"Everybody is hard-wired to win, the All Blacks are hard-wired to win. But they're galvanised by team and self improvement so they're always striving for that when they're on the field and when they're preparing. And that takes over the mind.

"I think that's the challenge of the Warriors."

Henry was also fully supportive of the club's decision to keep McFadden at the club, saying continuity is crucial for success.

"One of the major reasons for the All Blacks success is continuity of people.

"Andrew being there the last three years, he knows where they're at, he knows what needs to be done. He may not have been able to execute that as well as he may of hoped but he knows what's required."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/84372577/warriors-players-lack-belief-says-sir-graham-henry

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
For me it's more of a mind set problem. Self belief, Belief in the systems, the coaching staff and each other. That's all about developing the right pathways in the brain so that all the high quality actions become second nature to every player in the team.

If the the coaching staff can define what the Warriors mind set is, and then drill them all till they get it, we'll do alright next season IMO.

Reactions: Run_it_str8

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
For me it's more of a mind set problem. Self belief, Belief in the systems, the coaching staff and each other. That's all about developing the right pathways in the brain so that all the high quality actions become second nature to every player in the team.

If the the coaching staff can define what the Warriors mind set is, and then drill them all till they get it, we'll do alright next season IMO.
The top two inches makes the difference in any comp. After watching the Super League this morning the Warriors would be top of that comp, but we are in the NRL.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
What we lack is a thirst to win, a dominant mentality that this game could be your last game ever, which happens often in this sport. 110% every game.

Want one player who plays with the ethos? Jordan Rapana. Get us 13 Jordans and we will win the comp even with small forwards.

Reactions: Run_it_str8

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Want one player who plays with the ethos? Jordan Rapana. Get us 13 Jordans and we will win the comp even with small forwards.
Jonathan Thurston for mine. Probably the most competitive person I have ever seen play. Guy hates to lose. At anything. He gets pissed off if his grubber kick goes too far. He's always chasing players even if they are guaranteed to score. True competitor...

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Interesting from Henry but maybe its not a fear of failure or a lack of belief, maybe they just prefer an early holiday

We dont see or hear any players caring too much in the media that they didnt make the playoffs

Reactions: bruce and Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Don't think I've heard the Warriors so roundly criticised and ridiculed by fan and detractor alike....every day I tune into radio sport an announcer is having a laugh about it.

From a public image POV, Kearney has taken on the hardest job in the NRL, at least the like of the Knights have the excuse of their squad.

The only way Kearney can save the club is results.

More easily said than done.

The biggest question mark is....does he have the cattle ?

Will he be around long enough to move people on and convince players he prefers to replace the dead wood.

Did I mention it is the hardest coaching job in NZ sport too ?

Good on him for having the balls to go near the inept playing group.

Doubt he can fix it...well whoever tries would need more than five years to effect real change for the long term.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Doubt he can fix it...well whoever tries would need more than five years to effect real change for the long term.
I really hope you are wrong. Another 5 years, which would make it a decade, of this shit and I'll be one miserable bastard. Doubt the missus and kids would bother hanging around my sorry ass. Even the dog might walk in front a bus to get away.

I agree there is a rot in the place and short of blowing Mt Smart up Im at a loss as to how to fix it. Its not just the players or training staff. Its deeper than that. Its like its embedded in the psyche of players and handed down from roster to roster, generation to generation.

How the hell do you even begin to fix that???

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I really hope you are wrong. Another 5 years, which would make it a decade, of this shit and I'll be one miserable bastard. Doubt the missus and kids would bother hanging around my sorry ass. Even the dog might walk in front a bus to get away.

I agree there is a rot in the place and short of blowing Mt Smart up Im at a loss as to how to fix it. Its not just the players or training staff. Its deeper than that. Its like its embedded in the psyche of players and handed down from roster to roster, generation to generation.

How the hell do you even begin to fix that???
It starts with a dream, a vision, a hallucination if you like.

You have to see the goal you want. Just make sure it's a worthy goal.

That's how I'd start it.

Khaboom

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 22, 2016
I think Sir Graham could be on to something. It does all seem a bit "maybe, you never know, could be' rather than 'yes! try to stop us! for sure!'. The 'culture' seems to be she'll be right, mate.
Set clear, public targets for every player and the team.

Reactions: jonno

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I wouldn't go that far, Nah I don't agree at all.
When Super League had their world club challenge the Warriors cleaned up in England, against the top sides, let alone down here which was a slaughter. They will never have a world club challenge like that again and Super League is weaker now.

It has to be remembered that the NRL is (according to John Hart) the toughest rugby competition in the world. SGH got taken to task for criticising the standard of South Africa and Australia in union. He was really saying that for the good of the game they need to be stronger.

As good as the All Blacks are, and they are very good by any standard, the competition isn't that much these days. That will be proven again next year when the best of Britain tour here and get flogged.

SGH has had the chance to have a close up look at the standard of the NRL. He has taken on a job that isn't easy. He is now 70 and a multi millionaire, he doesn't need the stress when he could keep fit kayaking around Waiheke Island with the Mad Butcher.

My guess is the NRL has got his juices flowing, and that his rumoured respect for Cappy is very real. This could work and fulfil Phil Gould's prediction that JD would turn the Warriors into a behemoth.

Reactions: brightman and jonno

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Don't think I've heard the Warriors so roundly criticised and ridiculed by fan and detractor alike....every day I tune into radio sport an announcer is having a laugh about it.

From a public image POV, Kearney has taken on the hardest job in the NRL, at least the like of the Knights have the excuse of their squad.

The only way Kearney can save the club is results.

More easily said than done.

The biggest question mark is....does he have the cattle ?

Will he be around long enough to move people on and convince players he prefers to replace the dead wood.

Did I mention it is the hardest coaching job in NZ sport too ?

Good on him for having the balls to go near the inept playing group.

The video of Kearney and Bennett from the coaching seminar showed me a real steel about Kearney. Apparently it was Bennett who approached Kearney to help with the Kiwis.

In front of Bennett Kearney said he didn't want to be number two, or something like that, Bennett didn't even blink.

The body language between the two showed genuine mutual respect, if not much warmth. It is well known that Bennett and Bellamy have never liked each other and still don't, yet formed an excellent working relationship at the Broncos. I don't know if Bennett and Kearney would go camping together but it clearly doesn't matter. They have their eyes on the job ahead. I am not saying that Bennett is a grump, I have heard first hand that he definitely isn't, but his mind is always on the job.

My read is Kearney is a total professional committed to the job at hand, and almost blinkered to that point. He won't take personal grudges or favouritism into the changing room. My guess is that Shaun Johnson and Ken Maumolo will get the same treatment i.e. this is what I want you to do today. If they don't they won't be yelled at, just given the cold stare so they know to do it next time or else.

Much is made of Kearney's failure at the Eels. He was told about the problems there but probably figured he needed that experience. Not many coaches have succeeded after working under Bellamy, but many have succeeded after working under Bennett.

The question is can he turn the dressing room around? I am sure he can, and if not reserve grade or even Fox awaits.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings