General Club Culture Part 4: The Kearney Era

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
No disrespect sir, but I could say the same above about Cappy and Elliot even.

My question is

Does he have a vision?
Does he inspire?
Does he lead?
Does he motivate?
Does he command respect?
Will the troops go to battle for this guy - would they die for their coach?

These are the important questions we need answers to if he intends to change the culture - because I sure as hell know Cappy had none of the above.
No disrespect taken my good man, but let's shoot the shit on this

I stand by my initial assessment & I honestly believe that Kearney possesses qualities that McFadden & Elliot do not (far greater player than both of those two combined, mentored by Bellamy & Bennett just to name a few)

As for your valid questions, all I can really comment on is "Does he command respect?"

I'm usually not the kind of guy who gets awestruck when I meet people I admire, but on the several occasions I've met Kearney he very much impressed me with his genuine mana & the way he carries himself, which is rare for me cos I ain't easily impressed in that regard, so I would say that yes he definitely commands respect in that sense, at least from me anyway

As for your other valid questions, well those are still relatively intangible at this stage & remain to be seen, but I agree with you & I bloody hope so

Also, even if Kearney does have all of those qualities, it's still entirely dependant on the players buying into it & transferring that belief into results which is, for all intents & purposes, the fulcrum upon which the immediate future of this club hinges, like you that is also my biggest concern given their track record in recent times

One thing I do know for sure is that I pretty much lost any serious interest in the Warriors for this year after we were molly whopped at home by the Bunnies in Round 23 & my initial feelings about next season were somewhat grim TBH given the limp dick way we performed for the remainder of the season after that

But since all this news has come out I've found myself feeling much more optimistic & even excited about the potential future of our club, which is why I've been back on here writing all these long winded posts lol

So the way I see it is that I am either justified in my newly found optimism or I have been sucked in by a brilliant piece of marketing & given what I know of both Kearney & Doyle I'm leaning towards the former more so than the latter at this stage

Like we've all said already multiple times, let's just hope the playing group finally delivers on the goodwill

Last edited:

Salarycap

Waterboy
Sep 14, 2016
I dunno if there is a bit of mist in peoples eyes re Mooks yes he re hydrated often and turned up to training half an hour early so what? he under performed for the warriors and pissed off at the first oportrunity! Kearney has always done what is right for Kearney, is that going to change? he has a history of playing players out of position, he might play Foran at prop and Lillyman at Stand off, who knows? His first grade coaching career is nothing to be proud of, he could be another Jason Taylor for all we know, change culture he says, I say he better watch his back.

Reactions: Sup42

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I dunno if there is a bit of mist in peoples eyes re Mooks yes he re hydrated often and turned up to training half an hour early so what? he under performed for the warriors and pissed off at the first oportrunity! Kearney has always done what is right for Kearney, is that going to change? he has a history of playing players out of position, he might play Foran at prop and Lillyman at Stand off, who knows? His first grade coaching career is nothing to be proud of, he could be another Jason Taylor for all we know, change culture he says, I say he better watch his back.

Its an interesting point.

I never saw SK the player with the same sort of aura as a rubin wiki or a steve price or even a tawara nikau.

he didn't have that chrisma about him even though he made captain. huge work ethic, great player but I didnt see the fire in his eyes that would galvanize a team

Is that something we should worry about?

because again, its not about intelligence or work ethnic when it comes to coaching - when it comes to coaching its all about getting through to the players and we got a bunch of lazy weak minded people in the team. will they respond when SK gives them a spray?

hate to say it - but I am doubtful.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
On culture in sport i think the best example is the Aussie cricket trem during the halcyon era when Waugh, Taylor, Langer, Haydon and Warne and Co.played.

Not everyone got on inthe team, the team had personalities i.eWarne but more importantly their leaders i.e. Waugh commanded respect and they playedfor him. How did he achieve this was by leading by example and basically going to War against the opposition.

Ive heard Langer and Co speak about Steve Waugh and they only have respect for him even though he wasnt the greatest player. He only achieved his success by grit and determination which was the Warriors need plus the want to win attitude.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
What's the records of Bennett's former assistant coaches anyone? What are the club cultures like under that bunch?

If the legend is true WB turned the kiwis into world champs with a five minute speech. If Kearney is bringing that skill over.....:rolleyes:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I'm waiting to see who the yet to be announced coaching assistant is in terms of what that says about the plan to change the Culture.

If Rumours are true regarding Steve McNamara being that guy, then he would fit the bill as far as being someone similar to Kearney.

McNamara was a very unpopular Coach of England earning the un flattering nickname Macbanana.

Like Kearney, his selection choices and omissions of top players....for the sake of 'team Culture' was often controversial.

England and NZ's last World cup campaigns were both marred by offeild ill discipline.

Probably McNamara"s biggest calls were leaving Danny Brough out of the squad (went on to star in a under gunned Scotland side) and sitting James Graham on the naughty mat for the opening test V the Roos.

Kearney on the otherhand , was unaware of the trouble brewing inside his star studded side, till too late.

Kearney, McNamara, McFadden, all experienced what it feels like to be undermined by off field antics of some of your most senior players.

I guess if those three unite, given all three are disliked for selection criteria, some fans are in for a long hard CULTURE SHOCK.

Reactions: jonno and eudebrito

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Might wanna get your facts straight. Kearney left because the club owed him money and as far as I know he has never had that paid to him.

Playing players out of position is something he did with the Kiwis to keep the culture strong. Has it worked? Of course it has. We're ranked number one and for the first time in history as well. So why do people complain for? Leaving out players like Benji Marshall who the rest of the team wont play with? Not taking Issac Luke cause he came back to the Warriors overweight and admitted in the media that he wouldnt pick himself for the Kiwis? You really want that sort of defeatist attitude in your camp?

People seem to be more afraid of the unknown in Kearney than what was clear as day to most in Cappy. Change had to happen and it has. Lets see where this leads us before being so damn negative...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I am not being negative here, but it is groundhog day. To become a top class coach in any sport requires a strong character, that includes guys like McFadden. The Coach is only part of the equation. If Steve Hansen coached the East Coast they wouldn't win the NPC.

No doubt the next to follow will be a signing or two and a really good pre-season. I am not getting sucked in again. I will judge this club on results, never mind the round 6 crap, from round 1. I don't mind them getting beat, as long as they show pride, effort and guts in the loss. No shame in being done by a better team.

It all starts in the forwards and defence. Kearney knows this. Lets see if the cattle show some balls consistently.

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Kearney's all about culture, god knows he talks about it often enough. We've all seen what he's managed to do with the Kiwis in recent years, no more blowout score lines but then our players in the Nrl have closed the gap on their Aussue rivals in recent years, some of them the best in the league now so at least part of that can be attributed to the cattle.

He's renowned for building culture by adding layers of identity to his playing group over of a period of time. He bring's in cultural advisors in to talk about heritage whether thats Moari or Polynesian, the connection to our land is another thread that he likes to add to the fabric of our identity. He talks about Iwi and family and players representing and honoring those ties.

All that gets ingrained in the playing group so they have a very strong sense of self/identity and they are bonded by it. He'll no doubt have to tweak it for the Warriors but I'd expect his process to be very similar.

As mentioned he adds these like layers and in terms of the club itself I he'll add their core values to it as well around proffesionalism and expectation.

The thing for me that sums up best Kearney's approach to culture is the Kiwis new Haka "te iwi kiwi" it's inclusive it's about identity but above all it unites all the players together, it's about acknowledging everyone's culture, there's even a part in there for Shaun Johnson and his Laos heritage.

The clubs obviously identified the culture as a major problem, whether that's something that's come out of the review or something they identified earlier on it needs to be turned around, Kearney wasn't my favored option to replace McFadden as head coach but if changing culture and getting through to the playing group was top of the list there'd be few better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42 and Harlz

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
The clubs obviously identified the culture as a major problem, whether that's something that's come out of the review or something they identified earlier on it needs to be turned around, Kearney wasn't my favored option to replace McFadden as head coach but if changing culture and getting through to the playing group was top of the list there'd be few better.
Culture was identified as an issue when Matt Elliott came on board. The thing with culture, or more specifically culture change, is that it doesn't happen over night. It takes years to get ingrained into the place. It takes constant and consistent effort to reinforce and drive it. People expecting change overnight with this team need to realise that it is not going to happen in the short term

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Culture was identified as an issue when Matt Elliott came on board. The thing with culture, or more specifically culture change, is that it doesn't happen over night. It takes years to get ingrained into the place. It takes constant and consistent effort to reinforce and drive it. People expecting change overnight with this team need to realise that it is not going to happen in the short term

Agreed, there's no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to culture, I didn't mean to suggest it would happen over a short period of time.

Reactions: Inruin

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I dunno if there is a bit of mist in peoples eyes re Mooks yes he re hydrated often and turned up to training half an hour early so what? he under performed for the warriors and pissed off at the first oportrunity!
Whoa!!! He was the most professional player, apart from Dean Bell in that original side. I didn't watch much on TV back then because I went to every home game and at times I thought his defence was lacking. However I spoke to some flys on the wall at the club who assured me he as a big man was being left exposed on defence by his team mates, two expensive Poms spring to mind. My most vivid memory of SK was a test at Mount Smart when he scored in front of me in the corner with a withering barging run that left Kangaroos splattered like road kill. I have yet to meet anybody who knows SK who does not respect his attitude, courage and professionalism. Although I am also a fan of Ivan Cleary if I think that if SK cannot turn this bunch of muppets around, nobody can.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I am not being negative here, but it is groundhog day. To become a top class coach in any sport requires a strong character, that includes guys like McFadden. The Coach is only part of the equation. If Steve Hansen coached the East Coast they wouldn't win the NPC.

No doubt the next to follow will be a signing or two and a really good pre-season. I am not getting sucked in again. I will judge this club on results, never mind the round 6 crap, from round 1. I don't mind them getting beat, as long as they show pride, effort and guts in the loss. No shame in being done by a better team.

It all starts in the forwards and defence. Kearney knows this. Lets see if the cattle show some balls consistently.
Right on Gizzy, and the sponsors will see it that way as well.

One thing that has got me thinking was the post about Morgan losing it at training. Mate I would be losing it at dudes who are being paid more than the prime minister missing tackles as well. Ok it seems some of the boys don't like being reminded what people actually think of players who miss tackles. Kearney may have a better way of telling these guys the truth, and I really hope so.

The Romans used to line deserters up and execute every tenth one, decimate it is called. I know we cannot kill the muppets but if it were me I would be shaming slack tacklers until they were REALLY pissed off. I might be sacked before then though for losing the dressing room.

I see Nat Roache missed only 3 of 145 tackles in FG this season. A few more like him and we are going to get somewhere.

Reactions: jonno

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Kearney's all about culture, god knows he talks about it often enough. We've all seen what he's managed to do with the Kiwis in recent years, no more blowout score lines but then our players in the Nrl have closed the gap on their Aussue rivals in recent years, some of them the best in the league now so at least part of that can be attributed to the cattle.

He's renowned for building culture by adding layers of identity to his playing group over of a period of time. He bring's in cultural advisors in to talk about heritage whether thats Moari or Polynesian, the connection to our land is another thread that he likes to add to the fabric of our identity. He talks about Iwi and family and players representing and honoring those ties.

All that gets ingrained in the playing group so they have a very strong sense of self/identity and they are bonded by it. He'll no doubt have to tweak it for the Warriors but I'd expect his process to be very similar.

As mentioned he adds these like layers and in terms of the club itself I he'll add their core values to it as well around proffesionalism and expectation.

The thing for me that sums up best Kearney's approach to culture is the Kiwis new Haka "te iwi kiwi" it's inclusive it's about identity but above all it unites all the players together, it's about acknowledging everyone's culture, there's even a part in there for Shaun Johnson and his Laos heritage.

That sort of culture identity may work well for the national team but it has no place whatsoever in the Warriors team unless you wanna get all one worldish and find a common ground amongst all the cultures represented in the Warriors. Ryan Hoffman certainly wont identify with any Polynesian slash Micronesian haka. Do you think any other NRL club tries to get the players to identify with the Waltzing Matilda with a didgeridoo thumping in the background? Of course not.

People need to stop trying to tie team culture with any sort of racial culture. The two are different issues and should be treated as such which is why we have two different threads for them. Now Im not naive enough to think that a persons culture doesnt impact them individually but whats being discussed here is the clubs culture as a whole which is greater then its individual parts. I actually think that the club kowtowing to individual cultures is half the fucking problem but thats another discussion for another thread...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/polynesian-culture-at-the-warriors.43986/

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
The culture I want to see from the Warriors is a Brothers in Arms ruthlessly efficient win or die trying type culture

One Team One Culture One Goal - fight to the end with everything we've got ... EVERYTIME!!!

However they go about doing that is fine with me

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
That sort of culture identity may work well for the national team but it has no place whatsoever in the Warriors team unless you wanna get all one worldish and find a common ground amongst all the cultures represented in the Warriors. Ryan Hoffman certainly wont identify with any Polynesian slash Micronesian haka. Do you think any other NRL club tries to get the players to identify with the Waltzing Matilda with a didgeridoo thumping in the background? Of course not.

People need to stop trying to tie team culture with any sort of racial culture. The two are different issues and should be treated as such which is why we have two different threads for them. Now Im not naive enough to think that a persons culture doesnt impact them individually but whats being discussed here is the clubs culture as a whole which is greater then its individual parts. I actually think that the club kowtowing to individual cultures is half the fucking problem but thats another discussion for another thread...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/polynesian-culture-at-the-warriors.43986/

Fair enough can't disagree with any of that, I'm suggesting that Kearney will probably try the kind of things that have worked for him in the past, no doubt he'll tailor it to the clubland in someway shape or form, sort of goes without saying he'd be silly if he didn't.

I wasn't picturing Hoffman being forced into the Haka or Lillyman having Kiwi culture shoved down his throat.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Fair enough can't disagree with any of that, I'm suggesting that Kearney will probably try the kind of things that have worked for him in the past, no doubt he'll tailor it to the clubland in someway shape or form, sort of goes without saying he'd be silly if he didn't.

I wasn't picturing Hoffman being forced into the Haka or Lillyman having Kiwi culture shoved down his throat.
Lillymans pretty hearty these days and is shacked up with a native girl. Will possible Aussie recruits be put off by a team so focused on Kiwi cross Poly culture?

What we want to develop is a winning culture that draws players like Wayne Bennett does to the Broncos. Players take paycuts to join up. The only Aussies we get come here for a retirement fund...

Reactions: 6 Again

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Lillymans pretty hearty these days and is shacked up with a native girl. Will possible Aussie recruits be put off by a team so focused on Kiwi cross Poly culture?

What we want to develop is a winning culture that draws players like Wayne Bennett does to the Broncos. Players take paycuts to join up. The only Aussies we get come here for a retirement fund...

I'd hope they'd look past all that and see what Doyle is trying to put in place at the club. It seems to me the players are getting better resources now than at anytime before.
Kearney should be more respected than McFadden but he's gotta get runs on the board at Nrl level and find that winning culture before the Aussies really take to him.

Naturally there's a focus on the kiwi flavor because it is Kearney but I expect that he'll be perceived differently by the time round 1 rolls around next year.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings