General Club Culture Part 3 - Cappys Reign

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
This is thhe culture I want to see Jim Doyle shape the Warriors under...

How culture delivers competitive advantage and other lessons we can learn from the All Blacks
The All Blacks' values-based culture is evidence that team culture is a key driver of success. James Kerr shares a few of the lessons he learned about business by studying the most dominant force in Rugby Union
All-Blacks-haka-010.jpg

The All Blacks, led by the fly-half Dan Carter, perform the haka before beating Japan 54-6 in Tokyo. Photograph: Kiyoshi Ota/EPA

When England face the All Blacks on Saturday, they will line up against statistically the most successful sporting team in human history. New Zealand's win-rate over the last 100 years is over 75 per cent. It's a phenomenal record, and an achievement matched by no other elite team, in any code.

But back in 2004, something was wrong. The 2003 World Cup had gone badly, and by the start of the following year senior All Blacks were threatening to leave. Discipline was drunk and disorderly, and to make things worse, the All Blacks were losing.

In response, a new management team under Graham Henry began to rebuild the world's most successful sporting team from the inside out. They wanted a fresh culture that placed emphasis on individual character and personal leadership. Their mantra? 'Better People Make Better All Blacks'. The result? An incredible win-rate of just over 86pc, and a Rugby World Cup.

In early 2010, I had the privilege of going deep inside the All Blacks camp for five weeks alongside photojournalist Nick Danziger. It was a unique opportunity to study the way the best in the world stay on top of their game.

Here are five lessons in leadership I learnt.

1. Sweep the sheds

Before leaving the dressing room at the end of the game, some of the most famous names in world rugby – including Richie McCaw, Dan Carter and Mils Muliana – stop and tidy up after themselves. They literally and figuratively 'sweep the sheds'.

Former All Black Andrew Mehrtens describes it as an example of personal humility, a cardinal All Blacks value.

Though it might seem strange for a team of imperious dominance, humility is core to their culture. The All Blacks believe that it's impossible to achieve stratospheric success without having your feet planted firmly on the ground.

2. Follow the spearhead

In Maori, whanau means 'extended family'. It's symbolised by the spearhead.

Though a spearhead has three tips, to be effective all of its force must move in one direction. Hence the All Blacks mantra 'No Dickheads', a term shamelessly stolen from the Sydney Swans.

The All Blacks select on character as well as talent, which means some of New Zealand's most promising players never pull on the black jersey – considered dickheads, their inclusion would be detrimental to the whanau.

3. Champions do extra

Former All Black Brad Thorn's mantra, 'Champions Do Extra', helped him become one of the single most successful players in rugby history.

The philosophy simply means finding incremental ways to do more – in the gym, on the field, or for the team. It is much like the philosophy of marginal gains used by Team Sky.

A focus on continual improvement, the creation of a continual learning environment, and a willingness to spill blood for the jersey was at the core of Graham Henry's All Black culture.

4. Keep a blue head

Following their arguably premature exit at the 2003 World Cup, the All Blacks worked with forensic psychiatrist Ceri Evans to understand how the brain works under pressure. They wanted to overcome their habit of choking.

'Red Head' is an unresourceful state in which you are off task, panicked and ineffective. 'Blue Head', on the other hand, is an optimal state in which you are on task and performing to your best ability.

The All Blacks use triggers to switch from Red to Blue. Richie McCaw stamps his feet, literally grounding himself, while Kieran Read stares at the farthest point of the stadium, searching for the bigger picture.

Using these triggers, the players aim to achieve clarity and accuracy, so they can perform under pressure.

5. Leave the jersey in a better place

The All Blacks have long had a saying: ‘leave the jersey in a better place’. Their task is to represent all those who have come before them – from George Nepia to Colin Meads, Michael Jones to Jonah Lomu, and all those who follow suit. An All Black is, by definition, a role model to schoolchildren across New Zealand.

Understanding this responsibility creates a compelling sense of higher purpose. It's a good lesson for us all: if we play a bigger game, we play a more effective game.

Better people make better All Blacks – but they also make better doctors and lawyers, bankers and businessmen, fathers, brothers, and friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/media-n...tner-zone/business-lessons-culture-all-blacks

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Agree entirely mt.wellington. I read the same article. Even featured on Nrl360 on foxtel. If the ozzies recognise a great team and want to learn from them. After all they dont care what code it is. They want the secrets of winning. If its from our own All Blacks. Then why have the arrogant warriors not learned from them ages ago. Do they believe they dont have a problem? Or are they too good for anyone else union v league bullshit...

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
We're fucked when it comes to No.5 on that list... Which jersey are we leaving in a better place?

Maybe we should get a set of team colors before it's too late...

The best team in history is named after their jerseys color, so maybe there's something in it...

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
with a no dick heads policy would we already have said good bye to Hurrell?
Yep. Wouldnt have had a look in. Same goes with Russell Packer, Brett Seymore and Kevin Locke for starters...

We're fucked when it comes to No.5 on that list... Which jersey are we leaving in a better place?
Hard to have pride in the jersey when you run out in every shade under the sun...

Reactions: BeastMode and jonno

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Yep. Wouldnt have had a look in. Same goes with Russell Packer, Brett Seymore and Kevin Locke for starters...

Hard to have pride in the jersey when you run out in every shade under the sun...
Imagine if the AB's ran out one game wearing a greenstone and mushroom patterned jersey...

There'd be a change of government here in NZ....

DavidMcKay1974

Warriors 1st Grader
Aug 28, 2013
I've heard a story that no politician likes to have an election on election day when the All Blacks are playing because if they lose, the mood of the people would end up changing the government. This was before night games were introduced like on Saturday afternoons. 2.30 kick off something like 4.30 endings, and if the All Blacks lost a test on election day, then those people go from watching the game to the polling booths in a foul mood, and if the current government was in, then they'd vote them out.

Imagine if that happened with the Warriors. We'd have a coup on our hands. Lol.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Just have to think back to the drama that the AIG sponsorship caused. The All Blacks and the public take the issue very very seriously. So should we and the Warriors...
It's real hard to take this team seriously atm... They all act like clowns off the field and hopeless on it...

Getting real hard to justify why I support them to other people that's for sure... But I keep trying...

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Nelson
If the Warriors want a strong culture ethos,Doyle should ring Kearney and rule all the Warriors out the kiwis up coming tests with England.say they have club commitments too the Warriors and they fans and won't be released Intill an investigation has gone into the last season disaster we pay your wages your club should come first.#bring pride back too or club

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
The all blacks would be a joke if they concentrated on filling thei r side with nice guys, I think they're over stating their policy a bit there, I dont remember any great young players with fantastic all round games who dominate their position not getting picked...anyway it's easy to be picky when you have a massive player base to pick from and no salary cap.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
You'd also think that the Super rugby sides would have weeded out the dickheads before they were selected for the All Blacks.

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
LMAO.. Now everyone wants to model the Warriors on the All Blacks? I thought all these staunch league men and fans would never accept anything from rugby? Warriors suck so bad now people on here are praising the AB's and rugby's successful systems. Funny shit.

WillyDonDilly

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 7, 2015
LMAO.. Now everyone wants to model the Warriors on the All Blacks? I thought all these staunch league men and fans would never accept anything from rugby? Warriors suck so bad now people on here are praising the AB's and rugby's successful systems. Funny shit.

I've always wondered for years why the warriors haven't tried to adopt the all blacks winning culture and standards.
You would be stupid not to

Reactions: ACT Warrior

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I dunno, didn’t they try this with opting to keep the john palavi, ben henry types? Good guys I’m sure, but having a good attitude is not worth it without the game to back it up.

Every once in a while we’ll produce a Vatuvei or Mannering who has both, but I think the domestic options are too limited to put character above all else.

As long as they are not actively a bad influence like Locke or Packer, its okay to have a bit of dickhead in them, certainly there are some current and recently retired all blacks who aren’t squeaky clean off the field.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings