Rumour Club Culture Part 2 - rumours of discontent

Again I'm not trying to defend ME, history says he hasn't been that successful, but the players last year got Bluey sacked cause he didn't fit "their" game plan. So they were shit all year, so this year they followed the game plan till after the Penrith game, then turned the season around for 8 weeks coaching themselves. Awesome we all got stiffys, but unfortunately the season was 7 or so weeks longer than that and the team managed to serve up more of the same shit from the previous year. My point did they suddenly go ok we have proved if we do our own thing we're unbeatable, but lets go back to ME's game plan to prove he knows nothing and we know everything. Cause if it was their aim they absolutely proved it. Shame they couldn't play ME's plan first half, get hammered then change at half time back to their better system and have the hell comeback.

It is my belief that Bluey was just not up to it - I havent heard whether the team played crap under Bluey on purpose, but I wouldnt put it past some of them. And that mentality popped up again this year under ME.

I doubt they went back to ME's game plan at all.

I would put the shocking games after that Penrith down to two things:
1. Poor preparation - having a meeting away from the coaches and saying we are going to play this way against this team this week is all they would have had, i doubt there would have been much practice of that style throughout the week.
2. Soft players - even though the likes of those three I mentioned earlier - Friend, Mannering and Leuluai gave their all for the team (as did others like Taylor and Matagi) there are too many of the players who are not mature enough to say I'm going to give all of myself to the the team no matter what - johnson, locke, matulino, mateo, packer were all very average most of the time - all five of them spent time under Bluey too so if there reaction to his poor coaching was to give up then it could of easily happened again.

surfin I support what you're saying about the players mate, i wish they were all like Friend, Mannering and Leuluai.

Thats BS. Ive never been shy to call players to account if their on field performance warranted it. Read my old match reports and tell me otherwise. I dont really dabble in fiction or conspiracy theories.

All Im trying to do is tell you something real from inside the camp. Not some of the BS posts people make assuming this and that.

If thats the way you feel I'll keep that shit to myself...
Cease fire guys, I'm sure we all want the same thing and that's a premiership.

I don't think there's a coach born who has the perfect game plan every week and I'm sure Elliot is one of them. Jury is still out for mine and when he came in I figured at least 2 years with the shambolic state our playing roster and attitude was in.

I'm nowhere near the inside of the team but having spent many many years in business you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see (once again another season gone begging) there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. The constant rumours, the tweets, the results on the paddock all suggest a bickering unhappy camp. So what's new? Hasn't it always been like this (especially the results) the only difference now being we have a much more powerful social media and it looks like nearly the whole team sulk if the coach has a shit gameplan.
TBH, I think Owen and Co could get Jesus Christ and the Big fulla down here to coach and they would suffer the same. problems.

Why does the gameplan have to be changed running down the tunnel, surely they discuss and have input into this in the training sessions during the week? If it is a fact that the coach isn't listening then surely the senior players along with say Dean Bell, Rubes etc would be sending a clear message to Scurrah and the board. If the board weren't interested or did nothing then I could understand the players indifference on the paddock and like any worker, if you don't have the support of your line management you may as well look for another job.

The big question for me still remains, if a majority of players (including seniors) are unhappy, why are they unhappy and WTF are they doing about it, other than provide performances on the field which are embarrassing and scant return to the fans. Rant over

I don't believe the stories of the players changing the gameplan without Elliott's knowledge. If it continued more than once or twice, any coach would drop the instigators for insubordination, surely. No coach would be happy to allow his team to play against his wishes.

I love a good conspiracy, but I think this one has gained a life of its own, and has gone rabid.

I don't believe the stories of the players changing the gameplan without Elliott's knowledge. If it continued more than once or twice, any coach would drop the instigators for insubordination, surely. No coach would be happy to allow his team to play against his wishes.

I love a good conspiracy, but I think this one has gained a life of its own, and has gone rabid.
awww come on N.ig, I already cut eye holes in the white sheets and will pick up some rope :Dtoday

no conspiracy mate - that's how crap Elliott is - after 2 wins from 10 games he was probably desperate for wins. then a 5 game winning streak - i reckon he would have been claiming those wins as his own. he would have seen that the boys had gone away from his game plan but been too scared to pull any of the players due to the fact that they were on to a good thing - how would we have all reacted if suddenly friend, leuluai and mannering were all dropped and the team started losing again? hard spot for a coach to be in, but a decent coach doesnt allow himself and his team to be put into that predicament.

Anonymous

Reputable Source
Hypothetical question:

How would fans feel if they found out that the warriors players played crap against the dragons on purpose to ensure that Elliot would not get credit for their midseason revival had they made the top 8?

Reactions: mt.wellington

Feral!

no conspiracy mate - that's how crap Elliott is - after 2 wins from 10 games he was probably desperate for wins. then a 5 game winning streak - i reckon he would have been claiming those wins as his own. he would have seen that the boys had gone away from his game plan but been too scared to pull any of the players due to the fact that they were on to a good thing - how would we have all reacted if suddenly friend, leuluai and mannering were all dropped and the team started losing again? hard spot for a coach to be in, but a decent coach doesnt allow himself and his team to be put into that predicament.
Still not buying it. The names you keep throwing around are not the players I would expect to over-rule the coach. They don't need to move from the gameplan as their role would be almost identical in virtually any gameplan. It would be the younger, bigger egos that would be stepping away from the plan.

Still not buying it. The names you keep throwing around are not the players I would expect to over-rule the coach. They don't need to move from the gameplan as their role would be almost identical in virtually any gameplan. It would be the younger, bigger egos that would be stepping away from the plan.

that's the thing - their role in ME's gameplan wasnt what was best for their own game or the teams. how good were friend, leuluai and mannering going at the beginning of the year? average - there attitude was always good but they obviously played much better at the end of the season. remember friend very rarely ran the ball under ME's plan, he was a tacklebot. after the change friend was running a lot more from dummy half - started seeing the signs of what made him so successful at the titans.

also, who do you think would stand up if all of the team were against the game plan? those three would be the three most experienced players in the team, if they didnt stand up then no-one would

Last edited:
Hypothetical question:

How would fans feel if they found out that the warriors players played crap against the dragons on purpose to ensure that Elliot would not get credit for their midseason revival had they made the top 8?

We'd have to get a new coach... either that, or an entirely new squad.

This is really starting to sound bad.

I don't think anyone could hide the fact that there were some very obvious signs in that game.

Shit.

Reactions: Sup42
Hypothetical question: How would fans feel if they found out that the warriors players played crap against the dragons on purpose to ensure that Elliot would not get credit for their midseason revival had they made the top 8?

that would be shit bro.

is it really hypothetical? what do you know bro? they played terrible in that game

that's the thing - their role in ME's gameplan wasnt what was best for their own game or the teams. how good were friend, leuluai and mannering going at the beginning of the year? average - there attitude was always good but they obviously played much better at the end of the season. remember friend very rarely ran the ball under ME's plan, he was a tacklebot. after the change friend was running a lot more from dummy half - started seeing the signs of what made him so successful at the titans.

also, who do you think would stand up if all of the team were against the game plan? those three would be the three most experienced players in the team, if they didnt stand up then no-one would
Friend was injured Taylor was the hooker.

Jordan G

Hypothetical question:

Finals is what every player should aspire to, the chance to win a premiership. If players care that little about a premiership and the fans who support them just because of spite, well - fuck them.

So far we've got claims that Elliott wouldn't change the gameplan and claims that he changed it every week (a Brian smith trait). Which one is it?

On top of that, the gameplan didn't work - weren't we beating the Raiders, Storm, souths, bulldogs only to capitulate in the second half? Is Elliott's game plan a 1st half only gameplan?

Was never keen on Elliott, still not sold, but the players are the ones coming across as children in this and it seriously makes me wonder why I bother supporting them.

For a start, Friend was never a running hooker, and he had no kicking game until very recently. You don't discover that sort of thing without someone telling you to do it.

None of what you are saying is convinving me of anything. I still don't believe any of those 3 would need to change their game, regardless of the coaches gameplan. They are all natural tacklebots, and that is the game they would be playing regardless of the gameplan. No gameplan that I can think of would have them doing any different.

Reactions: slaughterhouse.sa
Guess what guys? Every year one team wins the comp and one team is always bottom of the heap.
And despite what everyone says no coach can go on winning the comp indefinately. Sure there are teams that consistantly make the top 8 but with the introduction of the salary cap the big spending clubs cannot just go out there and buy a winning team any longer, like in the good old days.
For mine I would like to see our team consistantly in the top eight or top 4, but what I have noticed over the last 10 years or so is that a team will get to the grand final and the next year be totally out of contention.
Stability of coach and players is the key to consistant results but on the other hand a good man manager will always seek input from his senior players if he wants them to adhere to a plan. If the players suggest the plan to the coach then they have bought into it and must accept full responsibility for how they execute that plan.

that's the thing - their role in ME's gameplan wasnt what was best for their own game or the teams. how good were friend, leuluai and mannering going at the beginning of the year? average - there attitude was always good but they obviously playing much better at the end of the season. remember friend very rarely ran the ball under ME's plan, he was a tacklebot. after the change friend was running a lot more from dummy half - started seeing the signs of what made him so successful at the titans.

And that's exactly what I heard, Management and coach had there yell at the crisis meeting , Friendy lead the charge told ME the game plan doesn't work , change had to happen IMO.

I want a premiership like everyone else on here, I'm just not convinced ME is the coach to get us there, but if We win the GF next season - I'll put my hand and say I was wrong.

I know people say the players should look at themselves , okay some players are being shown the door, fair enough - what's next , major roster shake up? reading posts like tasting wood to win a GF is just crazy to me. This is just my opinion but I'm sure the club has a exit strategy if ME doesn't work out next season - the Shane Wane rumor this year?

Has anyone played under a coach that thought he knew it all and was really cake at the end of day? The feeling sucks but it sucks even more when you love your club and play for the jersey - I know the feeling, falling from 1st divison all the way to 3 rd division in the space of 3 yrs, it's not the same situation as the Warriors but similar at local level IMO; hence why I believe we can't crucify the players over things happening in the background.

Reading over the posts, IMO - WE ALL CAN AGREE , WE LOVE THE CLUB, but we just differ which direction it should go in or where the blame lies.

Friend was injured Taylor was the hooker.

true that, first 3 games bro. check his stats:

https://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiers...ubid/14/playerid/100/seasonid/41/default.aspx

up until that panthers game his hit up count on average was about 3 per game.

after the panthers game his hit up count was regularly 6, 7, 8, 9 - on average about 5 - 6 for the last 14 games of the year. he was basically given more freedom to run, the boys acknowledged a big part of his game was that he was a good runner of the ball so brought it into the game plan

Inruin

Contributor
Hypothetical question:

gutted, that the players are that thick that they had the opportunity to potentially play semi final football and they gave it away for a pathetic opportunity to maybe make the coach look bad which can be done in other ways during the off season. Unfortunately, it wasnt the dragons game that they gave up in it was the several games before. I saw a definate structure to our play in the first few rounds of the season and we were unlucky not to win a few more. The structure went away and we were lucky to win as many as we did. The team were shit under Bluey and shit under Iro even though they loved him. I dont think Elliott is the greatest coach by any stretch of the imagination but when do you start saying enough is enough to the players? Paid to play football not engineer management revolts.

Hypothetical question:

Why pose 'Anonymous' and then pose a 'Hyperthetical question'. Defeats the purpose of the 'Anonymous' feature.

Either grow some balls and tell something of substance or stop shit-stirring and use your own I.D.