Pick Your Team Warriors v Raiders - [Round 3, 2024]

It would be nice to get Egan and CNK back and see us humming again.
I really want an impact backrower on the bench. Ford and Capewell both playing 80 isn't good enough fo me.
I’d like to think that is where we are heading.
Laban, Sifakula, Maiu, Halasima learning to be proper pro footballers from our experienced guys who have been there and done that.
They will all play some first grade this year and a couple of them could be GF winners.

Who else is happy this is a Friday night match? After saturdays denial it would have been hard to wait 7 days for our next match.
There is a few worries for this game -

1. Our record away from Mt. Smart in NZ is just not good for whatever reason. We won in Chch in 2018 but were then hammered in 2019, both games against Manly from memory.

2. Raiders are playing good footy to start the season, and playing a tough grinding style.

3. We had their number twice last year much the same as the Sharks who came here with a point to prove. The Raiders will come with this same exact mindset.

Whilst a loss won't define our season top 8 wise. If we have top four aspirations, points wise we simply can't afford to go 0/3 against teams who will all most likely be in the top 8.

I think if they take the anger from the last game they will smash the Raiders into a 30:0 lead and we will see what happens in the second half, Raiders are probably going to kick off at Tigers level while we left off with the try of the century or something lol

There is a few worries for this game -

1. Our record away from Mt. Smart in NZ is just not good for whatever reason. We won in Chch in 2018 but were then hammered in 2019, both games against Manly from memory.

2. Raiders are playing good footy to start the season, and playing a tough grinding style.

3. We had their number twice last year much the same as the Sharks who came here with a point to prove. The Raiders will come with this same exact mindset.

Whilst a loss won't define our season top 8 wise. If we have top four aspirations, points wise we simply can't afford to go 0/3 against teams who will all most likely be in the top 8.

Ie we win outside auckland when we are good we lose when we are bad lol, gotta take a decent lead into the last 5 minutes before streakers come on to disrupt momentum, what’s with kiwis and streakers still in 2020s lol, they tried their best to murder the comeback against the Broncos last year too

Timoko is generally the one to keep an eye out for as he can make something out of nothing.

The Raiders will look good in patches and will score points, but imo of we play 50 minutes the way that we did against the Storm we could easily put 30 points on, so it just depends how good our execution is.

I'm thinking Warriors 10+

Same team as last week, with the exception of Egan back. I wouldn't be opposed to giving Zyon Maiu’u 20 minutes off the bench, Ale seems wasted there for 10 min as he's not as dynamic as Zyon Maiu’u imo

I don't think this passes the stats test. He was getting plenty of opportunities against the Storm, and had as many runs as DWZ in round 1.

Yes, some of those are yardage carries and some are cutout balls from Metcalf, but he isn't being starved of ball like Ken was outside Kata.

Keep RTS at centre I reckon. He has a good offload and is great at carving through congestion. We don't need to use him as a straight metre eater anymore.
yeh i concur i don't think he is being starved its just clear that RTS is gonna run and do far more damage than Montoya as a runner , kick returner , ball catcher , defensive reads , he was exceptional at the Roosters on the wing , and Warriors when reece played fullback . hes a far better winger than montoya, and doesnt need to be a centre to be effective, and Pompey is a better centre than Montoya.

would be good to see, happy to be proven wrong.

Up the Wahs

We need to beat them comfortably this week, anything less will be a failure given how we have been playing the last 2 weeks. Sure the Raiders are 2/2 but they are pretenders and won't be there near the pointy end of the year.

Disagree. Raiders have been very solid over the last few years. They've only not played finals once in the last 5 years but I do think they are a step below the top teams, just need a bit of x factor to get them towards a premiership and they've also got a pretty good development system in place. They will not be an easy team to beat off their current momentum.

Disagree. Raiders have been very solid over the last few years. They've only not played finals once in the last 5 years but I do think they are a step below the top teams, just need a bit of x factor to get them towards a premiership and they've also got a pretty good development system in place. They will not be an easy team to beat off their current momentum.
Any team is vulnerable in the NRL if they don't turn up with a 100 % attitude.
Even then it's never a certainty

I don’t think Ali is a winger, but a damn good centre. Roger will be just as effective at wing and Ali has good distribution skills.
Berry and Leiataua is the perfect centre pairing Imo
And Long term being the bigger point. Roger could play Wing, Centre, FB or 6 I'm sure. Yep always get better with more consistency.. but team first.

I'd give Egan the week off if he isn't 100%. No point risking an even longer term injury given how important he is to us. Raiders are super gritty and will come at us all game through their style of attrition. But if we play like we did in the second half, we will be way too good for them. Thus far, they've only beaten an out of sorts Newcastle team and the perennial wooden spooners. Their edge defence hasn't been exposed yet to a set piece attack as lethal as ours. If we can put 26 on the Storm, a team that kept Penrith to nil the week before, we shouldn't have a problem scoring in this game. It's all about matching them physically to give our set piece the same opportunities we had against Melbourne.

TAB have us hot favourites, with only Tigers v Sharks and Broncos V Penny the only 2 games with a more likely result.

I think if we play to even half of our ability well put 30 on them, just need to make sure we're not giving away too many errors and penalties as usual

TAB have us hot favourites, with only Tigers v Sharks and Broncos V Penny the only 2 games with a more likely result.

I think if we play to even half of our ability well put 30 on them, just need to make sure we're not giving away too many errors and penalties as usual
So if we play to our full ability you predict a 60 point warriors victory ?

Wayde Egan is expected to be named this week but Webby has mentioned that he will be a game time decision once again. He has reinjured the same elbow that he's had trouble with in the past, but it sounds like he's on the right track to potentially return on Friday.

Haha come on Wrighty you know what I mean.

But surely, if we score 26 against the Storm with home advantage, surely were good for at least 30 at home, against a lesser opponent....
We gave 16 points to the sharks and 30 points to the storm
To win the premiership or go on any sort of consistent run of victories we need to close to number one in the league for points allowed and we seek a long way off that
The only lesser opponents are St George and tigers every other one of the 15 teams is a very difficult opponent

We gave 16 points to the sharks and 30 points to the storm
To win the premiership or go on any sort of consistent run of victories we need to close to number one in the league for points allowed and we seek a long way off that
The only lesser opponents are St George and tigers every other one of the 15 teams is a very difficult opponent

Yeah I couldn't agree more. However, it's round 2 lol. Did you think we'd be there by now?
I certainly didn't. We've got a bit of work to do now that we're 0-2, but winning this week and having a points differential of 8-12 will be a great start and somewhere to build

I guess that's what I'm saying - IF we play as well as we can, for even half a game I think we'll smash them. But were wanting a bit more than half a good game, we need to start building and I would like to see 60 minutes plus of our own game. We do that and we'll win comfortably

Back