General Chris Rattue: Cleary out McClennan In

mrblonde_old

He haven't had a half decent half since Cleary took over.

True, although Maloney might turn out well while Seymour, who still for me has too much "meh" about him, may as well but not as likely IMO. And add in of course, the proviso about space etc provided by the forwards as didn't happen for a certain S Jones in 2009, Jones' own failings notwithstanding.

And half decent halves are quarters, surely...

Spence_old

Witt, I guess, is a point of contention. But I think when he was released it was assumed that one of the 20 halves we approached would be interested. I mean we were trying to get Matthew Head to be our #1 half. Where's he now?

Tajhay_old

with witt, remember we took over his existing salary of 350k. he did not represent value at the end of the day.

yeah every single half we turned to said no to us. noone thought highly of maloney and when you consider everything has been a great buy for us.

Ryan_old

noone thought highly of maloney and when you consider everything has been a great buy for us.
Yeah. He's even being touted as a serious Origin contender for the years to come too. This would be, like, the first time since pre-SL Stacey since we've actually had a rep half playing for us. I'm lovin' it.

Fazz_old

I honestly think our club should avoid name players. More often then not it's just a massive fiasco with little return. So far the only name signings to come into the team and play well for us are Price, Inu and Mateo tbh. Tate was good in his last year but injured the rest of the time and average in his first year here. While Wiki was a bit past it. He was worth his weight in gold as a motivational tool and played well for around half of his time here, his first year or so and the last half of his last year.

When you compare those results to us signing no names such as Brett Webb, James Maloney, George Gatis, Lewis Brown and various others, it's obvious our best players come from no names and juniors. Which honestly is better then us being a Souths/Bulldogs team that only recruit stars. It means we have a heart of sorts, and aren't just a faceless team brought together with the purpose of a premiership.

Northern_Union

I think the most laughable flaw people find in Cleary is his supposed poor retention of halves. He haven't had a half decent half since Cleary took over.

Like Witt? What have we gained with the merry-go-round at stand off since Witt left?

He haven't had a half decent half since Cleary took over.

Isn't his job as head coach to develop playing talent.

I find it laughable the excuses that the pro Cleary camp come up with.

Northern_Union

I honestly think our club should avoid name players. More often then not it's just a massive fiasco with little return. So far the only name signings to come into the team and play well for us are Price, Inu and Mateo tbh. Tate was good in his last year but injured the rest of the time and average in his first year here. While Wiki was a bit past it. He was worth his weight in gold as a motivational tool and played well for around half of his time here, his first year or so and the last half of his last year.

When you compare those results to us signing no names such as Brett Webb, James Maloney, George Gatis, Lewis Brown and various others, it's obvious our best players come from no names and juniors. Which honestly is better then us being a Souths/Bulldogs team that only recruit stars. It means we have a heart of sorts, and aren't just a faceless team brought together with the purpose of a premiership.

You'd be surprised at just who the club has had serious contract talks with over the last 5 years or so.

Fazz_old

I know we were a big chance of getting SBW before Mason told him to stay at the dogs, right?

Who else has legitimately had talks with us? (eg not just the papers talking up their signing) always interested in hearing about this ind of thing.

sebastian_old

Yeah. He's even being touted as a serious Origin contender for the years to come too. This would be, like, the first time since pre-SL Stacey since we've actually had a rep half playing for us. I'm lovin' it.

If you watched the footy show, the big marn gave Maloney a side wrap. Saying "I'll tell you who is a good player. Maloney is a good player, a really good player." What could the rest do but agree? Then, then i thought Rabs said something revealing. He went on to ask how Maloney slipped through the net. Like, how did a decent half end up there?!?! The truth is he was only half decent, yet he has turned into a decent player under the coaching of Ivan something Bellamy couldn't/wouldn't do at the Storm. Food for thought, how highly he is now regarded. Personally, i'd rather Maloney next to me in SOO, rather than Soward. Maloney should be the definition of what type of halves their looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz_old

The only problem with Maloney in Origin would be his defense, he'd give away a couple of silly penalties imo. He'll be in big demand on the open market next year. We'll be long odds of keeping him past then unless we offer big coin and other incentives...

Quick, whoever lives in Auckland start buttering up his missus with free stuff and send your wives round to make her fall in love with NZ, might be our only hope of keeping him...haha

sebastian_old

The only problem with Maloney in Origin would be his defense, he'd give away a couple of silly penalties imo. He'll be in big demand on the open market next year. We'll be long odds of keeping him past then unless we offer big coin and other incentives...

Quick, whoever lives in Auckland start buttering up his missus with free stuff and send your wives round to make her fall in love with NZ, might be our only hope of keeping him...haha

Hes been much better lately, choosing when to display the fire. Although, to be fair, Gallen has that same fire, as does Ennis, yet they get complimented about their fire all the time. They claim SOO is about passion, as penalties are rarer, i wouldn't be worried about that. I honestly believe Maloney is origin worthy, i just do.

Spence_old

with witt, remember we took over his existing salary of 350k. he did not represent value at the end of the day.

yeah every single half we turned to said no to us. noone thought highly of maloney and when you consider everything has been a great buy for us.

Ahem. From the Storm preseason trial a few seasons ago...

What did you guys think of their halfback come stand-off, James Maloney? he looked the goods in the trial.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings