General Chris Rattue: Cleary out McClennan In

Moz_old

Well... Ian Henderson was out of the ESL obviously, and Logan Swann wsa brought back from the ESL. I think the strike rate would be hit and miss and the pay in the ESL is very very good, so you would need a Gareth Ellis/Sam Burgess type player who wants to challenge himself in the best comp and not worry so much about the big end dough to get an effective purchase.

Makes sense, so what do you think souths had to offer Sam Burgess who unless Im mistaken was already an international and ear marked for stardom in the ESL before they got him?

Not thinking about recruiting players wholesale from uK as Im a big fan of utilising our junior talent but with the constant reference to the spine was just wondering if we dont have a particular position covered internally instead of importing a second rate cast off from the NRL can we REALI$TICALLY look at the ESL and a top flight player ( no offence Hendo )

Tajhay_old

Makes sense, so what do you think souths had to offer Sam Burgess who unless Im mistaken was already an international and ear marked for stardom in the ESL before they got him?

lifestyle. it was reported last year that burgess is on around $260k odd. He also got a trendy apartment when he first came to sydney as part of relocation costs (they are not included in salary cap).

Some people here make out that the warriors are on a level playing field when it comes to attracting players from UK and Australia. I would say we are just above canberra and north queensland in those stakes.

Moz_old

lifestyle. it was reported last year that burgess is on around $260k odd. He also got a trendy apartment when he first came to sydney as part of relocation costs (they are not included in salary cap).

Some people here make out that the warriors are on a level playing field when it comes to attracting players from UK and Australia. I would say we are just above canberra and north queensland in those stakes.

Yeah 100% agree there especially Oz players, but thought maybe we could offer lifestyle to a uk player who wanted to live in the southern hemisphere for a while an test himself in the NRL there has to be a front rower over there for example, thats miles better than Lattimore

Random thought maybe they could exclude ESL players from the cap ( or a % of their wage ) as it does not directly effect other NRL clubs playing rosters as far as the equal spread of talent... either that or give ourselves , NQL an Canberra places off the beaten track who find it harder to attract players a slightly larger salary cap than Sydney based clubs. Who have the advantage that new signings dont have to uproot and relocate themselves, family etc

Tajhay_old

Who have the advantage that new signings dont have to uproot and relocate themselves, family etc
nrl does that by providing relocation costs that are salary cap exempt. plus nz has the benefit of lower tax rates. As for salary cap concessions for ESL players...if NRL did that...ESL could easily forego its quota system and make it a free for all...more NRL players would go there as a result than ESL players coming here. BTW with the closing of the tax loopholes and the stronger australian dollar the number of NRL players leaving should decrease and maybe...ESL players to NRL will increase. But then again do we want that...you have average NRL first graders in the ESL like jarrod sammut killing it over there...its just too hard to determine if the ESL players could make a good enough transition as the game is different there.

i dont know if the nrl players do this but there is a thing called LAFHA (living away from home allowance) here where if you move interstate for a temporary amount of time, and away from the state of your residence than you can claim accomodation and food allowance. Im doing that since im moving to Brisbane...food allowance for example is set and for a single that itself is another $170 in the back pocket each week.

Moz_old

yeah but money aside I think its easier for a sydney based player to move to another sydney club...

he doesnt have to leave his family and friends, his girlfriend/wife wont have to leave her family and friends, if they have children they dont have to pull them out of school away from their comfort zone running the risk they dont settle into a new country

I just think if they're offered the same money or therabouts from a another club in Sydney as the Warriors offer them, they will take the Sydney clubs offer every time its easier.

Too compete on a level playing field we would have to make an offer above their going rate and should be compensated as such along with NQL, Canberra etc
Havent the NRL topped up the Storms coffers for years to ensure they have a NRL team in melbourne that was competitive in a AFL mad state and to ensure they didnt fold. Surely we could recieve some kind of exemption

p.s I know Im dreamin an it would never happen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tajhay_old

Havent the NRL topped up the Storms coffers for years to ensure they have a NRL team in melbourne that was competitive in a AFL mad state and to ensure they didnt fold. Surely we could recieve some kind of exemption

what you are referring to is guranteed funding towards the club from News ltd who are the owners of the storm, not salary cap exemptions.

i think its easy for people to say we should have recruited better etc...but we do have to pay overs for players..that is reality...look at some of the big names we have targetted in recent years...remember a year back when we targetted nearly every halfback going around to see if they wanted to play for us...all of them said no...and then we signed maloney who was an unknown at the storm.

Moz_old

what you are referring to is guranteed funding towards the club from News ltd who are the owners of the storm, not salary cap exemptions.

The same News Ltd that were part owners of NRL stil reeks a wee bit of a double standard to me...

and personally I dont mind Maloney I think if our front row stand up and lead the rest of the pack forward and give the little fella more room/time to work with he will perform

Viking_old

i remember seeing anderson go and people jumping for joy saying how kemp was a kiwi and would be able to get the best out of the poly players and how he would be able to relate to kiwi players unlike coaches from aus etc....endacott, graham all came and went. same thing...rinse repeat. nothing changed and we ended up going backwards.
How do you compare McClennan to Kemp, Graham, Cleary and even Endacott?

I hear what you're saying about everyone being pro-Kiwi for the coach but the huge difference is that Bluey has a history of success and has fought his way up from the very bottom. the others didn't have that experience. I'm around local league a lot, no-one was calling for Iro, Kearney or any other Kiwi to take the reins here, it was all about McClennan once he decided to leave Leeds. I was glad that Kearney didn't go for the Warriors job, being the Kiwis coach is already a big ask, to do that and be expected to take the Warriors to a premiership is too much for one man alone.

Kemp was in the position that Iro is in now, relaying instructions to the players, bridging the gap between coach and players etc but I don't remember anyone calling for Kemp to take over from Anderson at the time.

You've ignored one of my main points, Cleary looks very unhappy and fustrated as the coach, he doesn't look to be coping well. In most of his post match interviews he has the look of someone with a problem that they don't have a clue how to fix.

You're wrong about one thing, we don't have the best roster in the NRL even with no injuries, the Storm and Dragons have more strike power and balance by a country mile.

Moz_old

How do you compare McClennan to Kemp, Graham, Cleary and even Endacott?

YOU CANT full stop Bluey is in another league, and he still has more to come, frankly if the Warriors dont seize the opportunity to get this man onboard running the ship in 2012 then I hope another NRL club will utilize the mans ability.

Because I honestly cant wait to see him pitted against the best in this comp and do well, of which I have no doubt. I honestly thought the Rabbitohs would have snapped him up for 2012 oh well there loss. I still believe he would have done wonders with that team.

wazzam_old

I have never met Ivan Cleary-have any of you guys? I have only ever seen him on T.V in the pre and post match interviews and he gives the impression that he's a very nice guy. Nice guys finish last comes to mind! I have been reading on this forum about the Warriors lack of passion and mongrel, particularly amongst the players, and I couldn't agree more, but no matter how pathetically the team is playing, no matter how ridiculous a mistake has been made, when the camera zooms to the coaches box what do we see??? Seriously, the guy looks like he's thinking about his investment portfolio! Contrast that with the likes of Hasler, Bellamy, Elliott, Cartwright, Lang and others and you begin to wonder if our coach has any passion or mongrel at all. Clearly he does not have an aggressive nature, but there are times when you have to scream " mother****** i've had enough! Rip a door off in the locker room, mouth obscenities through the glass of the coaches box, anything, just show us, and the team, that you give a shit!
Our gameplay is the worst in the comp. Our attack is the worst in the comp ( I don't care what the stats say, I watch with my own two eyes ) Our basic ball skills, kick & chase and general fitness are the worst in the comp. All this despite having, on paper, an awesome squad of talent who have been playing this game for a very long time. So who is to blame? I imagine that an opposition fullback, upon returning a kick from us, is thinking to himself " well, i've got 20-40 metres to decide what i'm going to do" Is this a lack of fitness? Who's to blame for that? Good example was Lousi breaking the line vs Manly with an arm completely free begging for someone to take the ball but nobody came. What the hell is up with that? We have massively talented players who do not appear to be allowed to play their natural game-the game that got them to this level in the first place. Who's to blame for that? If the coach has no passion or mongrel, can we expect the team to? Just my thoughts. Going back into hibernation now. L8trz

danco_old

I might be wrong but I think everyone that is hoping that if McClennan be comes the coach then we will automatically win a premiership, I know McClennan will bring passion and pride back into the Warriors, but i dont think with the current personnel the Warriors have even McClennan would bring a premiership to the Warriors

I concur.

oh!no!_old

Contrast that with the likes of Hasler, Bellamy, Elliott, Cartwright, Lang and others and you begin to wonder if our coach has any passion or mongrel at all. Clearly he does not have an aggressive nature, but there are times when you have to scream " mother****** i've had enough! Rip a door off in the locker room, mouth obscenities through the glass of the coaches box, anything, just show us, and the team, that you give a shit!

TRUE THAT.......!!! LMAO

Bellamy has passion. The only thing you can't see is the spit hitting the glass in front of him as he yells his string of expletives, but he's just as quick to jump and cheer when things go right.
Cartwright at times looks like he's about to burst blood vessels in his forehead, but jumps and cheers as well.
Pan right slowly to Cleary.... sipping tea in the box!

Ryan_old

TRUE THAT.......!!! LMAO

Bellamy has passion. The only thing you can't see is the spit hitting the glass in front of him as he yells his string of expletives, but he's just as quick to jump and cheer when things go right.
Cartwright at times looks like he's about to burst blood vessels in his forehead, but jumps and cheers as well.
Pan right slowly to Cleary.... sipping tea in the box!
Who, seriously, cares? A coach's body language has little to do with a team's on field performance. Bennett = tea sipper = brilliant team. Bellamy = spastic = brilliant team. Cleary = tea sipper = shit team. Lang = spastic = shit team. Cartwright = spastic = shit team. Etc. People are just looking for excuses for our bad performances, which could be the coach, could be the team, or a bit of both. But the theory about a coach's body language making better, or worse, teams is, at best, only a tiny part of the picture, in my opinion.

mrblonde_old

Maybe he's been told he has to pay for any broken doors, etc.

But, yeah, sometimes I'd like to see Cleary go off. By the same token, sometimes I'd like to see Bellamy shut up...

Ryan_old

The Luck troll is in the house. May we all benefit from lulz at you.

kiwi's 13-6_old

ivan cleary's had a good go at coaching and barring making the garndfinal this year id say his time should be up in my opinion as long as he is replaced by someone with more experience and a proven track record not the usual warriors move of getting an inexperienced coach to take the reins after the incumbent coach is axed i dont wont that.

would rather have ivan cleary keep the job than go down the tony kemp road with iro... iro needs a couple more years in his coaching apprenticeship with mclennan at the helm.

we have to look at the same mistakes we are making over and over inexperience coaches at warriors since john monie who was a similar version of cleary in terms of coaching style but with more experience.

then weve had endacott who came thru local game warriors reserves/ kiwi coach he was axed mediocore results

mark graham inexperienced coach at the time of warriors appiontment but kiwi league legend mediocore results

daniel anderson inexperienced coach at time of warriors appiontment took us to finals for the first time followed by grand final following year... after that all down hill in terms of relationship with players same thing happend to the guy at parramatta as well strangly enough.

tony kemp total greenhorn at coaching worst coach ever...

cleary's done ok better than most anderson got us higher eg grand final apperance... cleary got us bit more consistancy in terms of making the 8 more regularly but thats as far as we go and we havent look threatening in any finals apperance under ivan...

give mclennan a shot its a move up let ivan contract run its coarse and hire bluey... ivan will find another gig maybe central coast bears if they make the nrl 2013. if we can find a coach thats a step up in ability and proven track record like bluey or wanye bennet then we should stick with cleary!

the warriors need to put the word "dynasty" on there collective fridge and make it there goal to form a dynasty like canberra, brisbane, melbourne( tho they did it cheating and got caught out by the people who own them?) have all done for a couple fo years.

aucklands got 1.2 million people nz has 4.5 million people league has a staunch core following and tonnes of fairweather fans when the goings good, we got local talent galore we need a dynasty....dynasty ...dynasty no exception no excuses a couple of years where we absolutly regin supreme...

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings