General Changes To Vodafone Warriors For Away Game Against Gold Coast

kingdamo_old

Veteran back rower Wairangi Koopu, winger Michael Crockett and centre Ryan Shortland have all been recalled for the Vodafone Warriors’ seventh-round NRL clash against competition leaders the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park in Robina on Sunday.
Shortland (22) made way for experienced Jerome Ropati’s return against North Queensland last Saturday night but he comes straight back into the side for his third match this year with Ropati sidelined again with a hamstring injury.
The 25-year-old Crockett, who scored seven tries in 14 NRL appearances last year, is set to play his first match of the year for the Vodafone Warriors after scoring five tries in six games for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup.
He comes in for 20-year-old Patrick Ah Van who left the field in Townsville on Saturday night after taking a heavy knock.
And Koopu (28), used against Manly on March 31 in his only previous NRL match this year, comes onto the bench for 20-year-old Sonny Fai.
“Sonny’s going to play for the Vodafone Junior Warriors this weekend,” said coach Ivan Cleary.
“He’s had a good introduction to the NRL with five matches on end but he needs a lot more time on the field. He’ll get that with the under-20s and he’ll be back soon.
“It’s a blow that Jerome’s been injured again but we’ve seen what Ryan can do so it’s a comfort being able to call on him.
“Patrick’s not quite right and that gives Michael a shot. He’s been working for it in the New South Wales Cup and again we’re able to bring in a player with some experience and one who also has a good try-scoring record.”
The Vodafone Warriors will this Sunday seek their first away win of the year after a run of decisive losses to 2007’s top three-placed sides at the end of the regular season – Melbourne, Manly and North Queensland.
Now they face a Gold Coast side that has won each of its first four matches at its new ground to help it to the outright lead in the competition.
“Obviously our away form is a concern for us,” said Cleary.
“We’ve had three very good wins at home but we haven’t really caused our opponents much trouble on the road. That has to change.”
The Vodafone Warriors beat the Titans 22-6 at Gold Coast Stadium last June.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v GOLD COAST TITANS
Skilled Park, Robina

2.00pm, Sunday, April 27, 2008

VODAFONE WARRIORS
LANCE HOHAIA

MICHAEL CROCKETT

BRENT TATE

RYAN SHORTLAND

MANU VATUVEI

MICHAEL WITT

GRANT ROVELLI

SAM RAPIRA

NATHAN FIEN

RUBEN WIKI (c)

SIMON MANNERING

LOGANSWANN

MICHEAL LUCK

Interchange:

IAN HENDERSON

EVARN TUIMAVAVE

EPALAHAME LAUAKI

WAIRANGI KOOPU

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

www.warriors.co.nz

Last edited by a moderator:

kingdamo_old

Well no changes to the halves, I expected as much.

Crockett in for Ah Van, Shortland in for Ropati.

Fai dropped to U20's replaced by Koopu.

Morningstar_old

I'm surprised some Fai's more illustrious colleagues aren't joing him in lower grade to get more game time, alot of them were MIA last week.
I hope the boys Ivan has trusted to do the business this week repay the faith he has shown in them.

kingdamo_old

Hes marking Matt Peterson who has scored 4 tries in 2 games.

That should change when he plays us I'm hoping :cheer2:

edguy_old

same old same old ...
just cosmetic changes ....no halves changes ....

and why in gods name has fai been dropped????
and why is rapira starting???? and why is ravs still in the starting line up ???

edguy_old

just like the kemp days ....

u are in this team until injury puts you out ....

do we bring in new talent ,???? no .. just move the old ones about ...

MarkW_old

A fairly predictable side as usual from Mr Cleary.

Straight replacements for wing and centre injuries and Koopu gets the nod because Fai hasn't quite stepped up yet.

The result will depend upon whether the Jekyll or Hyde team turns up - and because it's an away game it'll probably be the latter.

Iafeta_old

Ouch. Concerning that we seem so devoid of faith in our juniors, and so devoid of showing selection isn't a given that we can't make the necessary changes. Unless there's a massive change in attitude, we'll get dusted.

Northern_Union

Well the teams out now, as much as i wanted to see Rovelli gone and Hohaia at 7 that aint happening this week so lets get behind the boys and have faith they'll bring home two points this week.

truckie_old

How deadly would our back line be if we had halves that would put the defence in two minds and feed quality ball to them.

Warrioraholic_old

I surpose on the other side, Cleary is showing alot of Faith in our current players and that must give them confidence. I dont know how Ivan does it, I would have packed players bags along time ago. (yes im looking at you rovelli)

Kid-Dynamite_old

Well the teams out now, as much as i wanted to see Rovelli gone and Hohaia at 7 that aint happening this week so lets get behind the boys and have faith they'll bring home two points this week.

I like the way your thinking! :high5:

sebastian_old

Sam is a great player but as Iafeta pointed out in another post, he looks burnt out BIG TIME!! He is not the same player as last year, a shadow of his former self from last year, when he was outstanding.
Evarn should've taken Sam's spot. Evarn looks a lot brighter this season than Sam, who is playing like a zombie currently.
Besides one game in six games, Ruben Wiki has been a passenger all year & giving his legend status I don't think they'll ever drop him.
Besides Micheal Luck tackling his but out our backrow has nearly been as weak as our front row. I honestly thought Ivan would make changes this week. I don't care if he promotes half the U20's team as long as they put in 100% that's better than the tripe some of our apparent 1st grade players are giving out.
At the end of the day I guess Cleary's given them a 2nd chance & yes NU we should get behind the team like we always do but I won't be suprised if we get another flogging this week.

Last edited by a moderator: