General Changes ahead...2008

Fobin_Hood_old

Just read the Sunday News today, interesting to see whos off contract this year and who has options remaining...What are your thoughts? Here are mine...

OFF CONTRACT:

Todd Byrne
- Highly unlikley to be re-signed according to sunday news)

Tony Martin
- Having a solid season (Does it mean hes getting an extension?)

Logan Swann
- Good in the beginning, not too sure what the verdict is here?

George Gatis
- Rather have Hohaia.

OPTIONS:

Epalahame Lauaki
- Wouldnt be surprised if his contact wasnt renewed. Hasnt lived up to his potential thus far. I personally wouldnt mind having him stick around the club for 1 more year but lets be realistic?

Corey Lawrie
- Very very safe player, not a "gamebreaker". Most likely will get renewed.

Malo Solomona
- Been in good form this year in PL, shouldnt have any problems being renewed, especially with Byrne's situation and Vuna's release.

Miguel Start
- Good young player, but hasnt been spectacular. Does this warrant a release? Bit of a tricky situation seeing Martin's been solid as well as hearing talks of Hannay/Tate.

Scott Jones
- Similar situation as Start, good but nothing amazing. Maybe a bit harder with all the back rowers/locks coming through the club.

sportsthought_old

Has Michael Witt had his contract extended? From memory he only signed up for 12 months . . .if they keep him it seems that lance will struggle to get a start in the halves.

Skinny_Ravs82

Has Michael Witt had his contract extended? From memory he only signed up for 12 months . . .if they keep him it seems that lance will struggle to get a start in the halves.
Yes he has till 2009 much like majority of the players that have resigned.

Swanley_old

Only the last 3 should be kept (all young blokes) + Martin - played well this year.

The rest can be released.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Only the last 3 should be kept (all young blokes) + Martin - played well this year.

The rest can be released.

I'd be happy to go along with that. I think the Warriors might be waiting on Tate/Hannay before they move on Start and Martin. Lauaki hasn't realised his potential yet, gives away too many silly penalties, and makes basic errors. I wouldn't be surprised if they took up the option if they're unable to get a better backrower, but if not this year I'd say next year will probably be his last unless he finds some sort of form.

Fobin_Hood_old

I dont think Tate is worth the reported 450k, that would be the warriors BIGGEST mistake if they were to sign Tate for that amount. You can easily buy 2 decent players and still have enough money to sign up some juniors with that amount...Lauaki on the other hand needs to increase his work ethic if he wants to remain in Auckland. Itll be sad to see any of the youngsters be released as I dont think 1 season is anything to go by seeing others have been given 3-4 year "development" periods.

tHe_maC_old

Biggest mistake? I think the Warriors biggest mistake was swapping Henry Paul for Andy Platt, and that was just the beginning...

Byrne will go, most likely to Brazil.
Gatis will hopefully go back to the chip shop.

Re-sign Martin regardless of whoever we sign, we need two centres, Hohaia will play hooker/half next year and I don't want Ropati anywhere near the side and Mannering will shift into the 2nd row to replace Anderson.

Try and re-sign Swann just for one more year to be a bench player to let Mannering and Fai be the 2nd rowers next year.

Lauaki, if he can play like his brother can re-sign him if he cannot learn how to play the ball properly quickly get rid of him.

Lawrie, depends on who else is available.

The Young guys, I don't know. Haven't seen or heard much of them and I have heard so much about young players at this club who are so talented they are only to be released to other clubs and suck just as much there. (Pai, Rennie, Leuleuai, Perenara, Vuna. + about 10 others I cannot remember)

We need a gamebreaker or two, so if Tate is as close as we can get to one I say get him, pretty sure I watched him go the length of the field yesterday after fending off some guy name Cooper Vuna. And Sonny Fai should hopefully come into his own at some stage this year....

Skinny_Ravs82

Come on MAc give Ropo another chance eh? ;) I'm not the biggest fan of him either but he's done ok so far. hehehehe

kiwi man_old

not much has been said bout him, but i remember watching a thing on this kid a couple weeks back... big unit from wellington i think his name was Ben Matulino or something but apparently he is a good prospect and is signed with us for next yr, so hopefully he kicks on

Skinny_Ravs82

Oh yeah, his name does sound familiar. I think some one mentioned or started a thread about that...

Esoj_old

well seems like most of the off contract guys won't be re-signed by the club. martin is proabbly the only one I think that will get re-signed. gatis swann and byrne days seem to be numbered. laukai and lawrie will most likely be kept I think. solomona and start would seem to be fighting for one sport especially if martin re-signs and someone else gets picked up. jones haven't heard much about him and we seem to have plenty of 2nd rowers so he will proabbly be let go as well.

sportsthought_old

I think that E Lauaki has to go for his own good, the way he plays does not seem to work with Ivan's game plan, which is quite structured, even though he said he wanted to change this.

I get the impression that Lauaki is trying to play to the game plan to keep the coach happy, and not relying on instinct.

Having said all that, I agree that he has made too many unforced errors this year. Maybe if he shifts elsewhere he can do better . . .