TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Could be an admission they have Dylan Brown and Chanel Harris-Tavita becomes depth learning off Shaun Johnson for a couple of years. Think Brown would jump over him for a starting spot.
I doubt that.

What’s more likely is that they’ve told him they want to see him play well next season before resigning him and so his manager has put this out there to drive his price up.

This is a complete non-story. Every player’s manager does this. It’s their job.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Good for both parties I think. Still think he’s a centre or ball playing lock like Cameron Murray.

Not seeing or haven’t ever seen enough game management expertise, short or long kicking game, or running game that confirms he’s really a half.

I feel like someone really want him to be that once and has tried to force the envelope, but alas not to be.

That said, seems a great kid with a good attitude and 4/13 seems a good fit.
100% spot on for me.

I think I’ve been one of his harshest critics, and it sucks because I think he’s a likeable player and has a great attitude, he just simply can’t do what we need him to - as a half. I’d be happy for us to experiment with him as a centre, I think he’d excel there.

And with some of the chat about half next year - I mean if we’re going to give anyone a chance of a full preseason behind Lodge and Addin Fonua-Blake partnering Shaun Johnson in the halves, surely we’d give Kodi a go. Went alright there this year considering all things, you’d have to assume he does even better with those significant changes?

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I doubt that.

What’s more likely is that they’ve told him they want to see him play well next season before resigning him and so his manager has put this out there to drive his price up.

1 things for sure, we don’t have our halves sorted for next year and it doesn’t look like Sean O’Sullivan will be extended.

Reactions: Defence

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
I really hope he find's another club who will have him, the guy offers nothing and never will, could replace him with any reserve grade half for minimum wage.

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Fattz

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I doubt that.

Exactly. If you are his manager you would be pointing out that he's a starting half in first grade and would be trying to push up his asking price. Johnson used to wait until the old June 30 deadline whenever he was off contract to see what was out there so he could go back to the Warriors with a value or push them a bit.

Would it be good to have everyone signed for "unders" like the Broncos back in the day? Yeah it would but that is pretty rare nowadays as players look more at their earning potential. A few of the stable clubs might be in that position for a few players.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is also waiting for November to test his value for 2022. Same as we are waiting to do with Joseph Manu. It goes both ways.

He may find he goes to a few clubs and finds there is no interest.

Reactions: wizards rage

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I’ve seen reports that a few clubs would be interested in him.

I very much doubt he’s any better than all the reserve grade half’s running around for the Aussie clubs right now.

Reminds me of Carlos Daly Tuimavave, Lolohea, Ata Hingo, Mason Lino….all our youth halves that got no where when they left the club.

Chanel Harris-Tavita will be no different. He wasn’t brought up in the rigours of the Aussie system and you need this to be a successful half.

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Fattz

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Exactly. If you are his manager you would be pointing out that he's a starting half in first grade and would be trying to push up his asking price. Johnson used to wait until the old June 30 deadline whenever he was off contract to see what was out there so he could go back to the Warriors with a value or push them a bit.

Would it be good to have everyone signed for "unders" like the Broncos back in the day? Yeah it would but that is pretty rare nowadays as players look more at their earning potential. A few of the stable clubs might be in that position for a few players.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is also waiting for November to test his value for 2022. Same as we are waiting to do with Joseph Manu. It goes both ways.

Can’t see his manager trying to push his price up when he hasn’t secured his starting spot in the team. Last time he and Keighran were in a showdown for the starting half and now they’ve said he’s in the same position with Nikorima. Pretty sure the club never let Shaun Johnson get to market, and re signed him at his asking price until the last one where he was called out. Also think Chanel Harris-Tavita would have witnessed what went on with SJs situation and seems strange to call them out for more money. Perhaps other teams have enquired about him. If nothing else, his defence will have been noticed by other teams and I think there was interest before he signed his last contract.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012

Bit of difference between an elite half like Shaun Johnson and a reserve grade standard at best half like Chanel Harris-Tavita.

Good luck to him I really hope another club is stupid enough to sign him and he wants an early release.

Would be best for all parties.

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
I posted the following numbers in another thread recently & someone correctly pointed out that Rugby League is a team game. If you were to isolate his individual stats in these games I think the trend of mediocrity would still be apparent.

NYC: 39 games 10W/28L/1D
Jersey Flegg: 1 game 1L
Junior Kiwis: 2 games 2L
NSW Cup: 30 games 12W/16L/2D
NRL: 37 games 11W/25L/1D (9W/21L as a starter)
Tests: 1 game 1W

That's a 31% win rate across those 110 games. He's been a part of a side that's won 2 or more games in a row just 5 times (once in the NRL) & hasn't had a win streak over 3 games.
In his one playoff match (NSW Cup 2018) he kicked 2/5 off the tee & 0/2 Field Goals.

Geoff Public

1000 Days in Oz Tour. See NRL.COM for venue dates
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
When the club was looking for halves it said he and Kodi could battle it out for the remaining spot. It's a direct contradiction of when they called him the future of the club.
Even though we have Shaun Johnson we are still looking at the possibility of another half.
There's not a lot of love going his way. So why wouldn't he look around . Players often say they signed with a club because they felt wanted.
If he gets the right offer he may want to leave this off season.

Reactions: Defence and Cces

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
When the club was looking for halves it said he and Kodi could battle it out for the remaining spot. It's a direct contradiction of when they called him the future of the club.
Even though we have Shaun Johnson we are still looking at the possibility of another half.
There's not a lot of love going his way. So why wouldn't he look around . Players often say they signed with a club because they felt wanted.
If he gets the right offer he may want to leave this off season.
I mean, his performances warrant that though, don’t they?

On the contrary, I feel there’s more love than he deserves. He cops significantly less flack that Sean O'Sullivan and Kodi, considering both of them have performed significantly better than him this year

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Well, Adam Keighran was touted as a great half but seems to have found a place at centre with the Roosters. And having a good kicking percentage obviously helps.

Is that Chanel Harris-Tavita's future?

And to Toookey's point: Kodi is more experienced and Sean's an Aussie and a "boss's son". That's, rightly or wrongly, going to bring the spotlight on him a bit more than others.

It's a pretty safe bet he won't go to the Wests Tigers, between them having a habit of paying overs for average players and letting good juniors leave. Even if he'd be a great fit, I don't think the Tigers recruitment team would identify it...

Reactions: Toookey

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I posted the following numbers in another thread recently & someone correctly pointed out that Rugby League is a team game. If you were to isolate his individual stats in these games I think the trend of mediocrity would still be apparent.

NYC: 39 games 10W/28L/1D
Jersey Flegg: 1 game 1L
Junior Kiwis: 2 games 2L
NSW Cup: 30 games 12W/16L/2D
NRL: 37 games 11W/25L/1D (9W/21L as a starter)
Tests: 1 game 1W

That's a 31% win rate across those 110 games. He's been a part of a side that's won 2 or more games in a row just 5 times (once in the NRL) & hasn't had a win streak over 3 games.
In his one playoff match (NSW Cup 2018) he kicked 2/5 off the tee & 0/2 Field Goals.
Why are we looking at NYC winning percentages? Those years’ teams were full of mostly 17 year olds. The focus was on player progression/development, not winning.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Can’t see his manager trying to push his price up when he hasn’t secured his starting spot in the team. Last time he and Keighran were in a showdown for the starting half and now they’ve said he’s in the same position with Nikorima. Pretty sure the club never let Shaun Johnson get to market, and re signed him at his asking price until the last one where he was called out. Also think Chanel Harris-Tavita would have witnessed what went on with SJs situation and seems strange to call them out for more money. Perhaps other teams have enquired about him. If nothing else, his defence will have been noticed by other teams and I think there was interest before he signed his last contract.
Johnson did test the market when he was here. The earlier contracts the club may have locked him in before the deadline. Later on he did wait. That is why when the club said they would wait I pointed out he would of tested the market anyway.

Bit of difference between an elite half like Shaun Johnson and a reserve grade standard at best half like Chanel Harris-Tavita.

Good luck to him I really hope another club is stupid enough to sign him and he wants an early release.

Would be best for all parties.
Agree its a big difference between an established half going to the market or even when Johnson was first coming up as he was the next big thing.

In saying that we see it throughout the competition where young players in marque positions want the contract to match the position before they have had the consistent performances deserving of the contract.

I'm not fussed about him going out to test his value. Club should stick to their position. If he leaves there will be a few bad headlines about losing a junior but as we have seen players can be replaced. The less players we pay overs for the better.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Hopefully he is just finding his price.
I would think both parties would want to stay.
Hope he does.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
It's pretty rare for New Zealand to produce any quality Halves, I don't mind CH Tavita as a six, as long as he's not running the team. But what the warriors desperately need is halfback with a decent kicking game.

They have Shaun for the next two years but I would be looking for a halfback from Australia who has any decent kicking game?

Does anyone know of any Australian juniors coming through?

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings