TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Joshua James (#7 for the Magpies today) & Ronald Volkman from the North Sydney Bears are 2 of the better ones. Former Warriors SG Ball player Sione Moala won that comp this year playing Halfback for the Raiders
Volkman is a good shout. Has star potential. Stuck behind Keary and Walker long term. Wonder what his contract status is for next year with Roosters. I’d throw him a top 30 contract to be our 4th string half and hopefully develop him.

Don’t think Moala would be an option after we outed him. I like Josh James’ kicking game, but does he offer enough in other areas? Could be what we need

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Nothing about Chanel Harris-Tavita says he would be a good centre, how was this argument even conjured up?

He had no pre-season, he then barely played all year. When he did play he was paired with Sean O'Sullivan or a disinterested Kodi.

He has a solid defensive game, and his ability to square up the defensive line is great. He is a solid goal kicker also. His lack of a quality boot on him is my biggest issue, and am unsure how you teach someone more punt either you have it or you don't.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Chanel's a hard one, there's something about the kid i like but cant quite put my finger on it. He's not really an on the ball 7, his game management and kicking game isnt strong enough for that.....but then he's not a running half either.....no explosive like speed and not much ability to put others into space.

So where does that leave him with us paired with Shaun Johnson next season? Well one thing i could see working quite well is he'd be the perfect first receiver when we're running shape and feeding Shaun Johnson out the back......Chanel is very good at squaring up and taking the ball deep at the defence.....this is vital to allow Shaun Johnson to pick and chose his targets on block plays.....i can see whoever's winger on their favoured side potentially scoring a lot of meat pies ala Fusitua like or Katoa at the Sharks last year.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Regarding Chanel, he can be taught to kick better, probably when and what type of kick is just as important

He cannot ru, has been under all sorts of leg strains and once again can train to be faster, especially off the mark

I am sure I have seen him pass long, as long as he can do it both sides all good.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Questions Du Jour
Which I see above have already been discussed
1) Should he be a centre
2) Should he be a hooker
3) Should he be a half?

I think the fact we are asking these questions is that he is tantalisingly close to being a good player and also tantalisingly close to being shelved as a project.
Warriors management concur and have said they will look closely at his first 7-8 games next year and then decide one way or another.
He will play at half in those games, If he fails there I don't see them giving him a new experiment somewhere else eg centre and then spending 20 games observing him there.
Conjecture about him going to centre is irrelevant. His immediate future rests on him being evaluated as a half.
I personally think the results of the 7-8 games will be inconclusive. I think he will put in a reasonable performance but only yield 1-2 try assists over those games. The verdict will be whether win those games or not. If we win them they will figure he must have done something intangible right.

From my cricketing foruming years Martin Guptil in tests springs to mind. The selectors couldn't accept he was not going to pan out in red ball cricket so they gave him 38 tests iirc including spots in different batting positions. His premier spot was opening and when they gave him the number 5 batting spot he really had no idea how to be a number 5 and batted very slowly there even though the position is supposed to be filled by a dasher.

If that cricket experiment is anything to be learned from then Chanel should be thought of as his premier position and not fiddled with in other spots if he can't succeed as a half.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I think the fact we are asking these questions is that he is tantalisingly close to being a good player and also tantalisingly close to being shelved as a project.
Because of our dearth of talent, and god awful recruiting, anybody with any talent tends to get rushed into first grade.

That is not a good way of nurturing talent.

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
Nothing about Chanel Harris-Tavita says he would be a good centre, how was this argument even conjured up?

He had no pre-season, he then barely played all year. When he did play he was paired with Sean O'Sullivan or a disinterested Kodi.

He has a solid defensive game, and his ability to square up the defensive line is great. He is a solid goal kicker also. His lack of a quality boot on him is my biggest issue, and am unsure how you teach someone more punt either you have it or you don't.
His punt is okay but not huge as you say, Technique coaching may get him more distance /height but from there he should work on finesse if that's the case and develop an excellent short game.

Reactions: Defence

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Because of our dearth of talent, and god awful recruiting, anybody with any talent tends to get rushed into first grade.

That is not a good way of nurturing talent.
What’s your take on Chanel Bruce ?

Reactions: bruce

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Reactions: Ref

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player