Player Chad Townsend

From what I've seen of ct I can't say I've been too impressed but his strengths do seem to be our weaknesses so it could be a good fit

Reactions: 1 users
Townsend vs Locke poses the most intriguing position fight for next season (if the Locke to 6 rumors are indeed true, and you'd have to assume they are). On one hand we have an enigmatic, naturally talented semi-ball playing fullback who Warriors management want to keep happy; on the other you have the new, high touted young half who supposedly brings the attributes we've been sorely missing at the Warriors.

I have no idea who will play 6 next season, and I have no idea who I WANT to play 6 just yet. Alls I know is they'll both get a shot in the trials (potentially even 9s) and we should know a lot at that point. Right now I'm more than happy to let them knife fight for a spot.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Frank White

Contributor
I think Lockes ego is what could make him a great half, he has a good short kicking game ala Stacey, can kick 40/20, and has been on an island defensive wise at FB I think he could hold up quite well in the line.

its also the competition factor with KL and Shaun Johnson. They've both come up thru the Warriors system and could feed of each other.
Cant tell me KL wouldn't like to steal a little of Shaun Johnson's thunder. ..

I can definitely see him playing first grade at some point next year the seasons long enough due to injuries and form fluctuations. The key thing is does he make a strong enough impression to keep the spot.

His strengths as others have mentioned are areas we struggle with. The limited times I have seen him I've been impressed with his defence and support play. There are a number of examples and video highlights of his kicking game we need someone to give us field position and repeat sets which from my understanding he's good at.

The key things for me.

Elliott has said Locke is a key part of his plans for our spine. Does he get first shot to partner Johnson in the halves and how long does Elliott persist with that combination if it doesn't work?

Elliott has brought Townsend in to implement his structures. I doubt he wants another year sitting in the stands watching his game plan ignored and players deciding to wing it; player like Townsend, Tomkins, Leuluai and Friend he has options to have the structures adhered to.

Reactions: 2 users
agree with the whole Locke and Townsend fighting it out for the 6 spot, whoever plays better gets the spot! simple.
I think Townsend has a great kicking game but I also think Locke will be a good support player on that left hand side,

the presence of Townsend and Locke will also put pressure on Shaun Johnson to have a good season, if he has a few bad games I wouldn't put it past Elliot to use a pairing of Locke AND Townsend.

I just hope Townsend doesn't go down the maloney path, come to the warriors to show what hes got and then up and leave when another club wants him, I can see the sharks wanting Townsend back after his contract if he does well. we need stability and consistency

Reactions: 1 user

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
the shark fans rate him highly
I dont actually get that impression from the page on him on the Sharks fan forum. Most think he'll play Reserve Grade as well. Whats your impression of that page Sup42 Sup42?

Forget about Carlos. He has done sweet fuck all to show he is ready to take on that role. Matt Elliott has done stranger things but I hope he's not planning on pairing Carlos with Shaun Johnson.

Im undecided about Townsend. I dont think he'll get the 6 role. Locke has it if he wants it. Never know though with Locke wanting out of his contract. Who knows? I think he'll give it a good crack though and will keep other contenders honest. I expect him to fight hard for it and that can only be a good thing...

As they are so similar seeming players perhaps CT could be
I dont actually get that impression from the page on him on the Sharks fan forum. Most think he'll play Reserve Grade as well. Whats your impression of that page Sup42 Sup42?

Forget about Carlos. He has done sweet fuck all to show he is ready to take on that role. Matt Elliott has done stranger things but I hope he's not planning on pairing Carlos with Shaun Johnson.

Im undecided about Townsend. I dont think he'll get the 6 role. Locke has it if he wants it. Never know though with Locke wanting out of his contract. Who knows? I think he'll give it a good crack though and will keep other contenders honest. I expect him to fight hard for it and that can only be a good thing...

It is confirmed he wants out mate

I guess, if the NSW Cup halfback of the year and coaches player of the year, can't crack FG, then it really goes to show the lack of depth in Rugby League at the moment. I think this NSW Cup grand final will be the best possible exhibition for his skills - I'll be watching him very closely, and I really hope he goes and shows everyone on a big stage, what he can do.

-My impression of the Chad Townsend comments on the Sharks forever Forum ?

- Spookily Mirrors our Forums thoughts of NSW cup players.

For example : Is there anyone in our NSW cup squad that we universally are excited about and want in FG ?

The answer imo is no , largely based on general lack of exposure of the NSW cup to the average league fan , really unless you are a leaguenut you won't miss or rate anyone who can't crack FG.

Accordingly Townsend has NSW cup tradgics who rave about him in that thread , and generalised league fans who aren't excited about the bloke..../ think he is rubbish.

Townsend would fairly sit equal to Godinet in the minds of Cronulla fans. Both halves have had a chunk of First grade experience ( Townsend around 18 games thereabouts ).......and from that First grade exposure both have gained fans and detractors.

The difficulty for Half underlings is that a Half is hard to judge till they have played an absolute minimum of 50 games, well that's wot i recon.

Godinet is a very different player to Townsend , but their situation in their respective teams is the same.....both are not quite as good as the top halves in front of them who have their skills but frankly are better ( Johnson in Godinets case ..... Robson in Townsends ).

It's obvious to us why Godinet is not quite Johnson.

So Why is Townsend behind a tradesman half in Robson ? ( forget Carney he is a special case on another level to any half mentioned in this post ).

So....Robson V Townsend , my guess and reading their thread from start to finish is a mature half , been around a while and is a known entity........

Ok so if you are Shane Flanagan and you have Todd Carney in your deck.......do you compliment his genius with the Veteran tradesmen half ? or play him alongside the up and coming tradesman half ?

Finally.....in that thread the NSW cup knowlegeable posters bitch about 'Flanno's ' lack of adherence to any kind of local development club ethos.

In that regard I think Elliot was genius in Buying Townsend who needs an NRL club career and is infinitely more experienced than Sejka. Seems Chad can tackle / talk / organise. and distribute......plus......kick........with Carney's most superior Kicking game why would you miss Townsend ?

End Rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's been mentioned he that he is behind a 31 year old in Robson and why have the Sharks prioritised keeping him over Townsend like you mention it is probably that Robson is a known entity and him and Carney have clicked since the time they started playing together.

They mentioned in the build up to the NSW Cup GF that all he wanted to do was play in the blue, black and white. Hopefully that's all out of his system and he doesn't head back once Robson retires.

A paring of Godinet and Townsend in the Vulcans would work really well; a strong NSW cup team would put pressure on the first grade team to perform.

anyone watching him at the moment.. done a good kick turning the winger around and forced a fumble.. better kick than most of the kicks weve seen from our team all year

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
My only argument to the achievement of Townsend as NSW Cup halfback of the year etc is that he plays for a reserve grade team that feeds from two FG teams. And those teams are both in the top 6 in FG - Sharks and the Storm. Other reserve grade teams take from just one FG side. Halfs play better in dominant teams and for that reason I would not read too much into what he has done in the NSW cup. Plus, he has played with Brett Finch for much of the year!

Watching him in the semis in FG however, showed me he had a good head on his shoulders and he could compliment Shaun Johnson well - I'll read more into his FG performances.

Jordan G

Will wait to see what happens during pre season.

I have a feeling Townsend is one of those guys who is very hard to measure when you're watching from the sidelines because he doesn't do anything flashy or doesn't have the skills to make you go "wow". His ability to control a game, kick, and general attitude will decide his first grade prospects and kicking game aside most of it can't be measured from the outside looking in.

so far in the grand final he has been average but good. good little defender. can see some vision in him. pretty good kicking game. hes tried to create opportunities on the right side and has worked but just not enough talent to finish out wide. 6/10 at 53mins gone

Been very good in defense.[DOUBLEPOST=1381033004][/DOUBLEPOST]Great pass from Townsend for that try.
yea massive 30m pass.. hes been in everything now that the pressure is on to close the game. I think hes a good buy based on the probably four games ive seen of him this year[DOUBLEPOST=1381033655][/DOUBLEPOST]that should have been a try to townsend after a good little grubber for himself. ref made a crap call