General Warriors SG Ball 2024

I haven't seen much footage from their season but does Rodney Tuipulotu Vea go up to Jersey Flegg next weekend? Anyone else who potentially goes up?
Part of me hopes Rodney stays where he is carving the shit out of everyone and growing in confidence.

Gee he is a wonderful prospect, rugged and willing, nice lines, agro.

He went somewhat under the radar around here, with all the talk of the more vaunted guys playing up in cup. Loving the reveal of these other names not many, if any were watching.

Part of me hopes Rodney stays where he is carving the shit out of everyone and growing in confidence.

He went somewhat under the radar around here, with all the talk of the more vaunted guys playing up in cup. Loving the reveal of these other names not many, if any were watching.

I’ve really liked the look of his potential since I saw him play for the Stingrays v Canterbury in the 18’s final.
I wonder if they might look to play him a few games in the next grade and an experience a longer season rather than going to Fox once their current season finishes?

Was anyone there to watch it and can confirm that’s not just an error by NSWRL?

Edit: warriors lost 32-24 (not quite nil all lol)

Flegg team doing well to keep even.

Sharks team they’re playing has two top 30 members and two development contracts playing.

Just playing catch up with team lists and results...

Screenshot_20240315_154242_Instagram.jpg

ROUND 05 V TIGERS
SUN MAR 03
11:45AM NZT
NAVIGATION HOMES STADIUM, PUKEKOHE

1 MOTU PASIKALA
2 MALAKAI CAMA
3 ALVIN CHONG NEE
4 HIRAKA WAITAI-HAENGA
5 RAPHAEL SIO
6 JESSE SORIC
7 MAUI WINITANA-PATELESIO
8 JASON SEU SALALILO
9 JD AULOA (CC)
10 RODNEY TUIPULOTU VEA
11 TE WAAKA POPATA-HENARE
12 KAYLISS FATIALOFA (CC)
13 AUGUSTINO FILIPO

14 JERIKO FILIPI-TALISAU
15 FRANCIS TUIMAUGA
16 ALANI PEYROUX-DONALDSON
17 TE PAEROA WI NEERA
18 ALLAN EGAN
20 JUNIOR SIKUVEA
21 MALACHI FILIPO
22 TAIPARI WIKITERA

Screenshot_20240315_154616_Instagram.jpg

ROUND 06 V STEELERS
SUN MAR 10
11:45AM NZT

1 MOTU PASIKALA
2 MALAKAI CAMA
3 NGANATATAFU VAKE
4 HIRAKA WAITAI-HAENGA
5 RAPHAEL SIO
6 JESSE SORIC
8 JASON SALALILO
9 JD AULOA (C)
10 RODNEY TUIPULOTU VEA
11 ALVIN CHONG NEE
12 TE WAAKA POPATA-HENARE
13 AUGUSTINO FILIPO

14 JERIKO FILIPI-TALISAU
15 FRANCIS TUIMAUGA
16 KALANI PEYROUX-DONALDSON
17 JUNIORSIKUVEA
18 ALLAN EGAN
20 TE PAEROA WI NEERA
21 MALACHIFILIPO

Screenshot_20240315_155042_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240315_155133_Instagram.jpg

ROUND 07 V RAIDERS
SUN MAR 17
10:45AM NZT

1 MOTU PASIKALA
2 MALAKAI CAMA
3 NGANATATAFU VAKE
4 HIRAKA WAITAI-HAENGA
5 RAPHAEL SIO
6 TALLAN EGAN
8 JASON SALALILO
9 JD AULOA (CC)
10 RODNEY TUIPULOTU VEA
11 ALVIN CHONG NEE
12 KAYLISS FATIALOFA (CC)
13 AUGUSTINO FILIPO

14 JUNIORS SIKUVEA
15 FRANCIS- TUIMAUGA
16 KALANI PEYROUX-DONALDSON
17 TE WAAKA POPATA-HENARE
18 JESSE SORIC
20 TE PAEROAWI NEERA

Screenshot_20240315_155539_Instagram.jpg

Went this game in the weekend. First impressions were that the Warriors were easily an inch taller and wider on average than the Steelers. They had one brown guy and we had one white lol. We started off with a hiss and a roar just like their NRL counterparts but they lost it on their right edge who let all but one of the Steelers tries. Nothing too fancy. Just simple overlaps started from the centre field with committed decoys and backdoor plays. The boys have a real issue with turning in and standing on their heels out wide and the lack of drifters from in field only leave us exposed nearly all the time. Good coaching from the Steelers to play wide and flat to capitalize on that.

Warriors on the other hand seemed to starve their edges of Ball and instead preferred to ram it up the middle through their big boys. That worked well for our first try but to Illawarras credit they muscled up from then and stopped anything from breaching their goalposts from then on. Took some guts from them. That strategy of ours meant the opposition could compress and number up further hampering our physical approach up the middle. Any play out wide was normally stopped short with the Steelers marking up on the second row Link player preventing a pass or offload.

A lot to work on for our edge both in defence and attack. Looking forward to next at the same place. If anyone is going I recommend getting lunch from the The Flour Mill just down the road. Can't go wrong. Everything is fantastic. Pricey but you wont be disappointed...

Just watching replays of these Jnr grades there doesnt seem to be any shape in our attack at all & our trys seem to be pretty simple bash it up & overpower a smaller guy or simple through the hands stuff. Is this a coaching thing or is it just the skill level isnt there yet? I have noticed these Aussie kids look far better drilled than us for sure

Just watching replays of these Jnr grades there doesnt seem to be any shape in our attack at all & our trys seem to be pretty simple bash it up & overpower a smaller guy or simple through the hands stuff. Is this a coaching thing or is it just the skill level isnt there yet? I have noticed these Aussie kids look far better drilled than us for sure
Short story. Years ago I was talking to 2 guys who had boys 11/12 and were RL players and the difference between the two countries and attitudes was amazing.
They were trying to get their boys to drive up under the ribs in defence.
In NZ we would be just happy for our kids to be playing.

Theres a reason why the best Kiwi players are those that were developed in Australia. Their league system is like our rugby system. Better managed, infrastructure, systems, coaching, support, pathways, competition etc... While 7 year olds are learning to wrap tackle over here, Aussie kids are learning block plays. Only the insanely talented make it to the top side Warriors but they are always caught out by poor fundamentals and continued poor coaching. Cleary was good at addressing it and so was Anderson. Heres hoping Webby can do it too...

Back