General Carl Webb

RRG_old

Luck is never going to be a NRL superstar but the guys knows what his strength are and plays to them well. He is a good leader and a smart footballer. He makes alot of tackles and even when he is the third man in the tackle he is slowing the play down allowing the defenders to peel off. He often is the cover defender when a half break has been made.

And while he will never set the world alight on attack he does run good lines, makes intelligent plays as a decoy (something which is an art) and on the odd occasion has nice interchanges with the halves.

The guy has football brains that make up for his lack of size and punch.

KeepingTheFaith_old

I could debate a lot of those points, but the thing is, I'm not saying Luck is a bad player, I think he's done a fantastic job for the club, but there is a time and a place to move on.

Luck is surplus to requirements. What does he bring to the team that we can't get from a combination of our other backrowers?

Spence_old

I've always defended Luck, and have been a huge fan of his. But lately I have been wondering the same thing. Surely Mannering could be just as good at defending the ruck as Luck is?

KeepingTheFaith_old

When it comes to clean up work Mannering has it over Luck and Luck's clean up work is supposedly one of his strong suits.

I don't enjoy bagging Luck, as I've said he's been a great buy, but when you look at the best backrows, not just currently but in the past, you'll always find a strong balance and players who compliment each other. The Warriors don't have that.

Also, both Luck and Mannering are 80 minute players, that leaves 80 minutes for Matulino, Brown, Lillyman, Ta'ai to divide amongst themselves which forces Ivan to shuffle the deck chairs and put Mannering at centre, Matulino at prop etc just to give them enough minutes.

If Mannering played 80 minutes and there was another 160 to divide between 3 other backrowers that'd allow a much better rotation and would allow players to interchange directly and slot into the defensive/attacking line without causing 3-4 players to shuffle as well. It causes disruptions in defence and attack, and it's costing us.

At the end of the day I think it comes down to Mannering Vs Luck, and Mannering wins hands down.

Cheops_old

Yeah, Mannering could easily make the same 30-40 tackles that Luck makes and be more effective in attack as a lock. Mannering doesn't really offer a lot in attack as a second rower, almost like he's scared of going into touch every single time or something. Mannering at lock also gives us two attacking second rowers between Brown, Ta'ai and Matulino.

On a rather unrelated note, how dangerous could a right hand side of Ta'ai, Likiliki and Locke be if they touched the ball more than once a half

kiwi man_old

11.tai'i
12.matulino/brown
13.mannering

luck shouldnt be anywhere near the side
imo atm tai'i is our best 2nd rower atm

RRG_old

Yeah regardless of whether you think Luck should be retained, Mannerings lack of spark on attack this season has been a big factor in contributing to imbalance to our second and back row mix. As I earlier mentioned the other main factors have been the dumb recruitment of Lillyman who never should have been recruited and also the Sonny Fai tragedy.